Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GGTG III - Aug 3-5 See you in Gettysburg - REGISTRATION IS OPEN!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GGTG III - Aug 3-5 See you in Gettysburg - REGISTRATION IS OPEN!

The Gettysburg Get Together III - Aug 3 to Aug 5. S2000's and History.

It's time for the Gettysburg Get Together (GGTG III). Once again we'll be headquartered at the Gettysburg Hilton Garden Inn for the same low rate as last year. There will be Gettysburg Battlefield Tours, a Saturday drive through the battlefield and some fine mountain roads, the Saturday night banquet at Herr's Ridge Inn and the popular Ghost Tour.

Once again this year, you can arrive as early as Thursday and stay through Monday for the same low daily rate.

You will be able book multiple ways:

You may call the hotel directly… provide the dates of your stay and to get the group rate - state you are with Gettysburg Get Together III.
    Or if you wish to book online, visit the websitewww.gettysburg.gardeninn.com and put in Group/Convention code TII for the group rate.

Reservation must be received by July 10th to confirm group rate. Any rooms reserved after will be subject to availability and regular rates.

REGISTRATION IS OPEN! (Register here)

The Itinerary:
    Friday:
    Registration: From 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm. We'll have early registration via email for those who don't want to wait to register. Look for the early registration announcement soon.

The meet and greet cocktail party from 5:30 to 7:00 pm. A great opportunity to catch up with old friends and meet lots of new friends.

At 6:30 pm: The infamous Pizza Party.

Saturday:
    8:00 am: The drivers meeting in front of the hotel. Drivers are required, passengers can sleep in.

8:30 am: The Gettysburg Battlefield Drive. The drive starts with the battlefield and finishes in one of the more interesting sections of Eastern Pennsylvania. There's something for everyone, the serenity of the battlefield, beautiful mountain views and a lot of interesting curves to keep driver and passenger happy and entertained.

11:30 am-1:30 pm: - Lunch at Dunlaps.

6:30 pm: - The Banquet. Herr's Ridge is once again preparing a special dinner for us. Last year the food was amazing and this year will be even better.

9:00 pm: - The Ghost Tour. You'll be entertained by one of Gettysburg's best Ghost Tour guides as you make your way through the "haunted" parts of Gettysburg.

Sunday:
    Some people will be headed for home but others will get to tour the battlefield with some people who know as much about the Civil War as any historian. You'll get a personalized battlefield tour and learn history while having an amazing time.

After the battlefield tour, we'll head for Chubby's for BBQ. Great BBQ, great friends, great car.

Feel free to stay over Sunday night and explore more of this beautiful and haunting town. You can spend time on the battlefield get a glimpse of one of the most historical sites in American history.

kgf3076 +1 (Ken and Yoon-Hee)
    Looter +1 (Denny and Sharon)
    Zippy +1 (Ken and Nancy)
    Pas2k +1 (Jerry and Kathy)
    Ruined 2 +1 (Phil and Heather)
    tomnsyl +1 (Tom and Sylvia)
    b52nav + 1 (Paul and Libby)
    canberra +1 (Roy and Carole)
    justin6264 +1 (Justin and Chelle)
    spt-s2k +1 (Sam and Guest?)
    tukatz +1 (Tom and wife)
    Len44 +1 (Len and Pamala)
    Last edited by kgf3076; 05-28-2012, 05:38 AM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Random Fact: "There are less than 30 ships in the Royal Canadian Navy which is less than most third-world countries."

Sharon & I will see you Thursday....

....and of course we will be staying thru, Sunday !!!

...Can't miss that Battlefield "Tour"......& Chubby's !!!!!
    MY'03....Silverstone / Red Loaded with "Whistles, Bells & Toys"....

Life's journey is not to arrive @ the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to "skid" in sideways, totally worn out, shouting"...holy sh*t...what a ride!"

Comment

I'm making this one!

Comment

Looking forward to seeing you.
        Random Fact: "There are less than 30 ships in the Royal Canadian Navy which is less than most third-world countries."

Comment

Can we change the venue for the hotel stay? It took me 2.5 months, and numerous calls/Emails to recover my GPS - which got stolen from the parking lot of that hotel. Eventually I had to drive to police station in G-burg to pick it up myself. All my attempts to get it mailed have failed. Fortunately it was on my way back from Summit Point.
          In any case I still have very mixed feelings about ever going back there...

Comment

We are in...We missed a lot, cutting out early (after dinner sat). In for the whole gig this time. Looking forward to another great time.
            Dallas & Brenda

Comment

Great Dallas, we're looking forward to seeing you and Brenda again this year.

Comment

....just for starters.....
                8000 men ( boys ) marched down this road, from the North.....they were barefoot, most of them...tired... beyond belief... clothes torn, hungry, but "ALL" were high spirited, and determined to win this war.....no matter what those Yanks thought ......At this time...they had no intentions of fighting here...they would set-up camp..and in the morning, they would go into town.... ( Gettysburg ) and buy shoes, and clothing, and food...with good 'ol Confederate currency...with no thoughts of rampaging, and stealing

God only knew, what they would be getting into......
                Cashtown Road...now RT-30....the Lincoln Highway....

....and the place...the Cashtown Inn...yes...still here today....

Life's journey is not to arrive @ the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to "skid" in sideways, totally worn out, shouting"...holy sh*t...what a ride!"

Comment

Been there, done that

And it was good!
                  David...aka 'Scooots'

'09 S2K Chicane Silver Metallic #41
                  '06 S2K Laguna Blue Pearl #952 - Gone
                  '08 Civic SI Nighthawk Black Pearl - Gone
                  '11 Ford Ranger Sport
                  '55 Vespa 'Fender Light'
                  '57 Allstate (Vespa) 'Handle Bar'
                  '58 AllState (Vespa) 'Large Body'

Comment

Lincoln Highway, Rt 30 between Pittsburgh and Gettysburg is one of the best drives I know, great road more curves than straights up through the mountains, varying speeds, awesome views. Anyone coming from the west to this event should try this route...
                    Thanks to Denny for bringing a great sense of how significant and moving a place Gettysburg is!

Comment

We hope to be there this year. But, don't blame us if it is 100+ Degrees F this year.
                      sigpic

P.S. I have driven an S in Hawaii, but it wasn't mine. Does that count?

Comment

Rocketboy and I are going to try to make this on our way to S2KDays.

"It's rocket science but it's well understood rocket science." - Naveen Jain

sigpic
                        2005 S2000 Silverstone Metallic - Fujita F5, ACT HDSS clutch, Work Emotion XD-9, Cobalt XR3 brake pads, Russell SS brake lines,
                        Mugen reservoir socks, Modifry glove box organizer, factory headrest speakers, factory Ti shift knob, S2KCA logo throughout

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
                          Rocketboy and I are going to try to make this on our way to S2KDays.
                          Great You are more than welcome.

Comment

Matt...Sean...will be great to see you guys !!!!

Sean Texas to Gettysburg....to Colorado

....Matt....maybe 85 - to - 90 & tell the "Pixie"....Sunday, is a " REAL" tour !!!!

Dallas....you live close - by....I will expect to see you & Brenda..... :LOL:

Comment

It's the evening...the night is still...but all are restless...Many thoughts come to mind...as I stare into the star filled night sky...As the troops sit around the campfires...some laughing, some with their heads hung low....others, praying for better times, and myself..........Well....I am going to write to you my darling Sarah, lest you know my thoughts.....So with pen in hand.....

My very dear Sarah:
                              The indications are very strong that we shall move in a few days - perhaps tomorrow. Lest I should not be able to write you again, I feel impelled to write lines that may fall under your eye when I shall be no more.
                              Our movement may be one of a few days duration and full of pleasure - and it may be one of severe conflict and death to me. Not my will, but thine 0 God, be done. If it is necessary that I should fall on the battlefield for my country, I am ready. I have no misgivings about, or lack of confidence in, the cause in which I am engaged, and my courage does not halt or falter. I know how strongly American Civilization now leans upon the triumph of the Government, and how great a debt we owe to those who went before us through the blood and suffering of the Revolution. And I am willing - perfectly willing - to lay down all my joys in this life, to help maintain this Government, and to pay that debt.
                              But, my dear wife, when I know that with my own joys I lay down nearly all of yours, and replace them in this life with cares and sorrows - when, after having eaten for long years the bitter fruit of orphanage myself, I must offer it as their only sustenance to my dear little children - is it weak or dishonorable, while the banner of my purpose floats calmly and proudly in the breeze, that my unbounded love for you, my darling wife and children, should struggle in fierce, though useless, contest with my love of country?
                              I cannot describe to you my feelings on this calm summer night, when two thousand men are sleeping around me, many of them enjoying the last, perhaps, before that of death -- and I, suspicious that Death is creeping behind me with his fatal dart, am communing with God, my country, and thee.
                              I have sought most closely and diligently, and often in my breast, for a wrong motive in thus hazarding the happiness of those I loved and I could not find one. A pure love of my country and of the principles have often advocated before the people and "the name of honor that I love more than I fear death" have called upon me, and I have obeyed.
                              Sarah, my love for you is deathless, it seems to bind me to you with mighty cables that nothing but Omnipotence could break; and yet my love of Country comes over me like a strong wind and bears me irresistibly on with all these chains to the battlefield.
                              The memories of the blissful moments I have spent with you come creeping over me, and I feel most gratified to God and to you that I have enjoyed them so long. And hard it is for me to give them up and burn to ashes the hopes of future years, when God willing, we might still have lived and loved together and seen our sons grow up to honorable manhood around us. I have, I know, but few and small claims upon Divine Providence, but something whispers to me - perhaps it is the wafted prayer of my little Edgar -- that I shall return to my loved ones unharmed. If I do not, my dear Sarah, never forget how much I love you, and when my last breath escapes me on the battlefield, it will whisper your name.
                              Forgive my many faults, and the many pains I have caused you. How thoughtless and foolish I have oftentimes been! How gladly would I wash out with my tears every little spot upon your happiness, and struggle with all the misfortune of this world, to shield you and my children from harm. But I cannot. I must watch you from the spirit land and hover near you, while you buffet the storms with your precious little freight, and wait with sad patience till we meet to part no more.
                              But, O Sarah! If the dead can come back to this earth and flit unseen around those they loved, I shall always be near you; in the garish day and in the darkest night -- amidst your happiest scenes and gloomiest hours - always, always; and if there be a soft breeze upon your cheek, it shall be my breath; or the cool air fans your throbbing temple, it shall be my spirit passing by.
                              Sarah, do not mourn me dead; think I am gone and wait for thee, for we shall meet again.

Evening, June, 30th , 1863
                              ...in a small woods, just west of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
                              1st Lt. Sullivan Ballou

.......... Lt. Ballou was killed in action, @ Gettysburg...July, 1st....1863
                              He was fighting for his beliefs, and his Country

Godspeed.....................................

Comment

We never miss this event...and we're not going to start now. It is ALWAYS a terrific time.

We are definitely in!
                                Len

'06 Suzuka Blue

Comment

I have to find a way to do this, the event always falls just after my family returns from our summer vacation, which is usually driving across the US for 2 weeks and 4k miles. Must find a way........

Comment

William Barksdale's Mississippians....

....Godspeed, boys !!!!

“We steadily advanced, driving the enemy before us…the trees proved to be a peach orchard. On the end of the orchard was a barn in which a part of the enemy had taken refuge…I forced the door open and within less than two minutes we had killed, wounded or captured every man in the barn…the brigade moved through the orchard towards the heights [Cemetery Ridge], still driving the enemy before them.

“General Barksdale encouraged the men by shouting ‘Forward, men, forward,’ which was the only command that I ever heard him give after a battle commenced By this time we were under the heavy fire of two lines of battle and their artillery and our losses had been very heavy…”

The 18th, 13th and 17th Mississippi regiments were leaving dead and wounded all over the field as they moved north of the Wheatfield Road, their faces blackened from chewing powder cartridges as they reloaded. The 21st regiment, which was likewise being decimated, had moved farther south on the right of the brigade line, into the front of the 68th Pennsylvania regiment.

The Mississippi regiments north of the road smashed the Pennsylvania regiments there, forcing the survivors to withdraw fighting. The 21st, likewise, scattered the regiment in its front. But not without cost.

....."ALL"....... for my beliefs

Comment

Amazing stories, Denny!
                                      A VA/WV Founding Member

Comment

Thanks Justin....
                                        Perhaps we can re-live some of them...come the first part of August !!!!
                                        Originally posted by Justin6264 View Post
                                        Amazing stories, Denny!

Comment

Working...
                                        X