No announcement yet.

Gettysburg - There and Back Again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I haven't crashed yet, so here are some trip summary things. I still have to post the final day journal tomorrow.

As you can see, the trip covered just over 8,000 miles. I had some short runs between refueling stops and many more long ones, with the longest being 343 miles.

Mileage varied from a low of 22.03 to a high of 33.87. This can, of course, be significantly affected by how well the nozzle fills the tank. It can also be significantly affected by cruising speed. The high numbers occurred on the Natchez Trace, where we were cruising at 50 MPH without altitude changes, curves, traffic signals, etc. So I believe that high number is real. The overall average for the trip was 27.21.

Fuel costs varied widely, from a low of $3.60 a gallon to a high of $4.26 today at home. The overall average was 3.85 and I did observe that fuel prices started climbing part way through the trip and have continued to do so. The fuel cost per mile averaged at 14.2 cents.

I got my oil and filter changed at about 5,000 miles, and did have to reset the oil life percentage a little before the change. Rico never seems to use oil He performed flawlessly throughout the trip (if you ignore his flute imitations), and the vast majority of the trip was top down, regardless of weather.

I experienced temps as low as 62 and as high as upper 90s. I did drive the last several hours today with the top up. With it having been a 650 mile day I felt that I needed to be a little sun safe. Naturally, I got a roadster tan - face and neck and arms below the shirt sleeves and top sides of the thighs and knees. Yeah, it does look a little odd. The Neutrogena face stick and the Banana Boat Body and Scalp spray did a great job. The face stick won't run and get into your eyes when you perspire, and the BB spray kept my scalp, arms, and legs safe.

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat, although probably on a different route. Am I glad to be home? Oh yeah! I was getting really tired of road food, especially hotel breakfasts, and I would have killed for some fresh fruit at breakfast. Like most everyone else, I don't sleep as well in a different bed every night as I do at home. I don't have the problem of getting stiff and sore to the extent that Mel does, but my massage on Monday is going to feel wonderful.

I will post today's journal tomorrow, although it won't be all that interesting. Thanks to all of you who have followed me on my journey. I really appreciated your encouraging remarks. If you are inclined to do so, you can read about two other big road trips on our web site. In 2004 I drove my '98 Jaguar XK8 convertible to Gainesville, FL to pick up our older son who had just finished his doctoral studies at U of F. He and I spent another five weeks on the road together. Then in 2006 Mel and I spent two months on the road in our Morgan and covered 11,500 miles. The links to those two travelogues are:
    http://www.tukatz.com/html/travel/us_2004/us04.html and
    http://www.tukatz.com/html/travel/us...eparation.html
    There is also the story of our New Zealand trip:
    http://www.tukatz.com/html/travel/ne...4/nz_prep.html
    We shipped our Morgan there (as did 13 others) and spent six weeks touring the North and South islands.
    sigpic

Comment

• Welcome home, Tom. It's been a great trip and I've enjoyed every mile. Thanks for taking us along.
      Upcoming events:

Dragon Fall Run 2017- The S2000 Fall Dragon Event! Sept 14-17 at Deal's Gap. Registration is Open! Register HERE!

Gettysburg Get Together meets Fall Colors 2017 - GGTG VIII Sept 29-Oct 1
      Register HERE!

All presented by: The Double Dragon Group, LLC
      2003 Suzuka Blue #302 "Grovette"
      2008 ABP CR #400 of 699 "Grover"

Comment

• Well Tom...All I can say is thanks, to you....for such a wonderful time....not only for you....but for me...as well !!! Reading your journal, put me right along side you...the entire way..( and that includes the Gettysburg portion ) Seems so long ago This, my friend, is...a Redliner story....

....May we meet again, soon, I hope It has been an awesome ride !!!

Godspeed ...my friend !!!!
        MY'03....Silverstone / Red Loaded with "Whistles, Bells & Toys"....

Life's journey is not to arrive @ the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to "skid" in sideways, totally worn out, shouting"...holy sh*t...what a ride!"

Comment

• Welcome home, Tom! Thanks for taking us all on a wonderful ride!!!
          A VA/WV Founding Member

Comment

• I am very happy that you have made it home safely and I thank you for sharing your entire journey with the rest of us.
            S2K Days Attendee: Asheville, NC 2001 | Austin, TX 2003 | Breckenridge, CO 2004 | Las Vegas, NV 2005 | San Antonio, TX 2006 | Belterra, IN 2007 | Lake George, NY 2008 | San Francisco, CA 2009 | Asheville, NC 2010 | Keystone, SD 2011 | Golden, CO 2012 | Atlanta, GA 2013 | Hood River, OR 2014 | Cumberland Falls, KY 2015 | Durango, CO 2016

Rose Mary
            Casselton, ND

Comment

• As promised, the final day of the trip. The plan had been for me to stay the night of the 24th in Pendleton, OR and drive the last leg home on Saturday, the 25th. I got away by about 8:30 and was prepared for a relatively slow drive to Pendleton. Shortly after getting on the road I decided I had had enough of road food (especially hotel breakfasts - I was ready to kill for some fresh fruit), but most of all I wanted to be home with Mel. The two days would have totaled about 650 miles and I knew I could handle that. So I stretched Rico's legs and ate up miles in Idaho. I called and cancelled my reservation in Pendleton.

When you are doing 80 down the interstate and a small sage brush blows across the road in front of you, there is not much you can do. I exploded it. It wouldn't be until I made a fuel stop in Washington and walked around the front of the car that I would realize I had taken part of it, lodged in my grill, for a several hundred mile ride.

Oregon was my next state and I knew from prior experience that Eastern Oregon was not much to look at. I did make a fuel stop in Baker City before continuing on to Pendleton.

At the rate I was going I made Pendleton by 12:30. After a stop for lunch it was back on the road and on to Washington. There is a pair of bridges that span the Columbia River, and just upstream from them is the McNary Dam.

So then into Washington and not many hours to home now. Eastern Washington would be a desert without irrigation, but with it you can grow a lot of grapes (and other stuff, too) and make some really fine wines.

I had been on I-84 through Idaho and much or Oregon, and then onto I-82 to cross over into Washington and on up through Yakima. At Ellensburg I stopped for fuel (discovered the sage brush in the grill) and then continued on I-90. I had called Mel and let her know of the change and she made a trip out to Trader Joe's to pick up some things to prepare a nice dinner for me. I made the transition to Washington 18 and then good old I-5. After a stop to fill the tank at my local friendly Shell station where I paid the highest price of the trip by far, I got home at 6:45.

So now it is do the laundry and clean the car thoroughly and so on. To my wonderful friends who have 'ridden along' with me on this journey, thank you so much for your interest and support. It meant a great deal to me.

As to a Redliner article, I will extract all the text and selected photos to produce a travelogue for our web site, so I will have what is needed if requested. It will probably be too large for the typical size of the newsletter, but it is what it is. I am still inclined to believe that it has its greatest value as a journal on the forum where folks can follow it as it progresses.

The end.
              sigpic

Comment

• I really hate to see those words....."The End"...It has been quite the journey.....Glad you are home to Mel.....and you had no accidents...or problems....but most of all....you are safe....and sound...
                See you later...Tom !!!
                MY'03....Silverstone / Red Loaded with "Whistles, Bells & Toys"....

Life's journey is not to arrive @ the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to "skid" in sideways, totally worn out, shouting"...holy sh*t...what a ride!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Looter View Post
                  I really hate to see those words....."The End"...It has been quite the journey.....Glad you are home to Mel.....and you had no accidents...or problems....but most of all....you are safe....and sound...
                  See you later...Tom !!!
                  S2K Days Attendee: Asheville, NC 2001 | Austin, TX 2003 | Breckenridge, CO 2004 | Las Vegas, NV 2005 | San Antonio, TX 2006 | Belterra, IN 2007 | Lake George, NY 2008 | San Francisco, CA 2009 | Asheville, NC 2010 | Keystone, SD 2011 | Golden, CO 2012 | Atlanta, GA 2013 | Hood River, OR 2014 | Cumberland Falls, KY 2015 | Durango, CO 2016

Rose Mary
                  Casselton, ND

Comment

• Well Done, Tom! Very much enjoyed "traveling" along with you. Excellent write-ups, as well as pics.

I'm sure many of us would like to make a similar trip as the great experience you enjoyed.

Many Thanks!
                    Len

'06 Suzuka Blue

Comment

• AWESOME Tom ! Thanks for the ride !

Comment

Working...
                      X