Black Hills Rally - September 19-23, 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Hills Rally - September 19-23, 2021

Wondering what you can do with all those vacation days you didn’t get to use in 2020? Mark your calendar and make your hotel reservations. The Black Hills Rally is scheduled for September 19-23, 2021. This is one of my favorite driving event locations. Those who have been here before know that this is an event not to be missed. Three days of drives are planned featuring stops at: Wind Cave National Park, Sturgis Motorcycle Museum, Deadwood, Spearfish Canyon, Needles Highway, Mount Rushmore, and Jewel Cave National Park.

Click image for larger version  Name:	BHR21-FeatureImage1.jpg Views:	8 Size:	1.72 MB ID:	1674111

Click image for larger version  Name:	BHR21-FeatureImage2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	929.3 KB ID:	1674096

Itinerary
    Sunday, September 19, 2021
    • Arrival day
    • Happy hour in the late afternoon / early evening

Monday, September 20, 2021
    • Drive to Wind Cave National Park via US16A and through Custer State Park
    • Join the Natural Entrance Tour at 11:30am
    • Lunch break in Custer
    • Return to the hotel via US16A

Tuesday, September 21, 2021
    • Travel north to Sturgis, Deadwood, and Spearfish
    • Stop at the Sturgis Motorcycle Museum
    • Lunch in downtown Deadwood
    • Scenic drive through Spearfish Canyon

Wednesday, September 22, 2021
    • Mt. Rushmore
    • Drive the Needles Highway
    • Lunch in Custer
    • Tour of Jewel Cave National Park
    • Return to hotel via the Needles Highway

Thursday, September 23, 2021
    • Departure day

Click image for larger version  Name:	BHR21-FeatureImage3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	898.6 KB ID:	1674097

Hotel Information
    Hotel accommodations will be at the gorgeous K Bar S Lodge. We have reserved a block of 20 rooms at a reduced rate of $149/night (regular rate is $169). If we exceed estimated demand, we may be able to add additional rooms, so please reserve your room as soon as possible. The earlier we fill our room block, the better chance we have of adding additional rooms at the negotiated reduced rate. Your stay at the KBarS Lodge will include a deluxe continental breakfast in the spacious glassed in gazebo.

Bonus: For those who have stayed at the K Bar S Lodge before, you may be excited to hear that they now have an onsite pub with full bar.

K Bar S Lodge
    434 Old Hill City Road
    Keystone, SD 57751
    +1 605-666-4545 (Press 0 to get to the front desk)

Group Name: Black Hills Rally 2021
    Room Rate: $149/night
    Check In: Sunday, September 19th
    Check Out: Thursday, September 23rd

If you would like to stay longer, the K Bar S Lodge currently has rooms available on Thursday, September 23rd and Friday, September 24th and will honor the event group rate price for those days.

Disclaimer
    COVID-19 continues to be a problem for anyone organizing a group event this year and in the foreseeable future. The Black Hills Rally 2021, will be cancelled if the conditions are not safe for everyone to gather and enjoy the group activities. While we want to remain positive about the event, the reality is that conditions may not be acceptable unless an effective vaccine for this virus is widely available. We do not want to be responsible for putting any of our club members at unnecessary risk.
    Last edited by 4U2NV; 08-14-2020, 01:27 PM. Reason: Added (Press 0 to get to the front desk)
    S2K Days Attendee: Belterra, IN - 07 | Lake George, NY - 08 | San Francisco, CA - 09 | Asheville, NC - 10 | Keystone, SD - 11 | Golden, CO - 12 | Atlanta, GA - 13 | Hood River, OR - 14 | Cumberland Falls, KY - 15 | Durango, CO - 16 | Fredericksburg, TX - 17 | SoCal, CA - 18 | Gettysburg, PA - 19

Where have you driven your S2000?

This sounds fun.

Comment

Originally posted by AZS2KDancer View Post
      This sounds fun.
      It was!

Click image for larger version  Name:	BANNER.jpg Views:	1 Size:	67.4 KB ID:	1674104
      The infamous breakdown that took the entire group to the Rapid City Honda Dealership.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0526.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1674105
      Or the stop at Belle Fourche, the Geographic center of the USA.

Name:	IMG_9671.JPG
Views:	422
Size:	452.9 KB
ID:	1674106

I think we wore out the banner on that trip.
      S2KDays: 2018 SoCal || 2017 Fredericksburg || 2016 Durango || 2014 Hood River || 2011 Black Hills

Comment

It would be good to also include a visit to Devil's Tower, as well. It's not far from where we will be. We were there a few years ago in the motorhome. I remarked that these would be fun roads in the S.

Comment

This sounds fun.
          Originally posted by s2kbobby View Post
          It was!
          I think we wore out the banner on that trip.
          Good thing a new banner is already in the works.

I am happy to see the immediate enthusiastic response. We have got more than a year to prepare, but it's amazing how quickly time flies by. I have put my adventures savings account in overdrive and am getting my traveling gear lined up.

Once we have an effective vaccine that is widely available, 2021 is going to have to make up for all the missed trips from 2020. The word "staycation" is not going to be allowed in my vocabulary for a long time to come once it's safe to travel freely again. I hope 2021 ushers in new possibilities for many improvements in so many areas of our lives.

Knowing the amount of time and effort that has already been spent on planning the Black Hills Rally 2021, I am certain it's going to be an epic adventure.
          Last edited by R.Murphy; 08-14-2020, 11:16 AM.
          -Roseanne

S2KDays: 2019 Gettysburg || 2018 SoCal || 2017 Fredericksburg || 2016 Durango || 2014 Hood River

Miscellaneous Musings:
          The most important lessons you need to know about life can be learned from a Weeble.

It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.
          -Eric Arthur Blair

If I could only give three words of advice, they would be, "tell the truth." If I got three more words, I'd add: "All the time."
          -Randy Pausch

Comment

A visit to Devil's Tower would take most of a day. I had it included as part of the event in 2007 and 2011. For this trip, I am changing the scenic stops to a few new locations. I agree that Devil's Tower is worth the visit. I recommend that all travelers for this event try to stop there on the way to the Black Hills or on their way home.

Here is a photo from the 2007 trip to Devil's Tower.

Name:	Black Hills Rally 087.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	1674110
            S2K Days Attendee: Belterra, IN - 07 | Lake George, NY - 08 | San Francisco, CA - 09 | Asheville, NC - 10 | Keystone, SD - 11 | Golden, CO - 12 | Atlanta, GA - 13 | Hood River, OR - 14 | Cumberland Falls, KY - 15 | Durango, CO - 16 | Fredericksburg, TX - 17 | SoCal, CA - 18 | Gettysburg, PA - 19

Comment

Room booked. Ready to go.

Should I start a count down thread?
              -Roseanne

S2KDays: 2019 Gettysburg || 2018 SoCal || 2017 Fredericksburg || 2016 Durango || 2014 Hood River

Miscellaneous Musings:
              The most important lessons you need to know about life can be learned from a Weeble.

-Eric Arthur Blair

If I could only give three words of advice, they would be, "tell the truth." If I got three more words, I'd add: "All the time."
              -Randy Pausch

Comment

Please keep the countdown thread to the 90 days prior to the event start. Ha ha.

Comment

Hahahaha! Party pooper.

You're right though. We should wait until it's closer to the event.

I'll start a separate countdown thread tomorrow.
                  -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

I tried to make reservations, yet the Reservation Desk cannot make reservations past July 2021. Then I got transferred to the Front Desk and she didn't know anything about it. I got transferred again to a Gordon, and got his voice message. I was promised that I would hear back before Sunday.

Comment

I tried to make reservations, yet the Reservation Desk cannot make reservations past July 2021. Then I got transferred to the Front Desk and she didn't know anything about it. I got transferred again to a Gordon, and got his voice message. I was promised that I would hear back before Sunday.
                      I called and made our reservation this morning. Select the front desk option when calling the hotel. Mention our group code, Black Hills Rally 2021, and then tell them the dates you want to stay. There is limited room availability before and after the scheduled event dates.

Reservations for the event are open and available today.

Comment

Timing of the call to the hotel is probably something to keep in mind too.

The hotel itself can accept reservations further out than 1 year, but the *national chain* reservations system perhaps can't. We should have been clearer to say "select option 0 to connect to the front desk."

Right now, at 12:30pm on a Friday during the (in)famous Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, the front desk may be busy dealing with motorcycle rally people checking in or out. I suggest trying either much earlier in the morning or much later in the evening, at a time when the desk is likely to be less busy.
                        -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

Our reservations are made. We're looking forward to this trip.

Comment

Our reservations are made. We're looking forward to this trip.
                            That's great news! I'm glad it was just a minor hiccup in getting your reservations.

Jason has talked about these roads and this trip as though it's a religious experience. Being agnostic, I have my doubts. (I kid, I kid!)

Seriously though, I really do hope we have an effective and widely available vaccine in place by then. I want everyone from all over the United States and Canada to be able to safely attend and partake in the event if they wish to do so.

side note: The border closure for non-essential travel between Canada and the US has been extended to Sep 21, 2020. And I don't blame them one bit.
                            -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

We drove a lot of those roads in the motorhome a few years ago. They will make very nice driving in the S.

Comment

Room reserved. Got a slightly better rate, as I got an additional 10% for being Military. I did not take a room from the block reserved, so more people can come and enjoy good friends and the scenic locale.

Comment

Great news that there is a vaccine for COVID-19. Most everyone should be vaccinated by late spring/early summer, so travel will be safe by the time this event comes up. If you have not made a reservation yet, please do so as soon as possible. If we fill the room block up early, there is a good chance I can add additional rooms for our group.

Post up here once you have made your reservation.

Click image for larger version  Name:	69EAE73A-887C-4E6F-AFFB-F76992B609E5.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	869.4 KB ID:	1676577Beaver Creek Bridge (Hwy 87 - on the way to Wind Cave National Park)
                                  Last edited by 4U2NV; 12-20-2020, 03:59 PM. Reason: Added photo and caption.

Comment

I heard in the news Friday that it won’t be be until May or a June that the general pollution will begin to get vaccinated. It might take the rest of the year to get most people shot up. While there are adequate supplies right now, distribution is being cut to the states nationwide.

Comment

There are a number of different prognostications with regard to how long it will take for a majority of the population to be vaccinated. The only thing we can say with any certainty is that things right now are VERY bad and will continue to be so for a few months yet, particularly if people keep ignoring recommendations to stay the f home and to always wear a mask when not at home or in the presence of others with whom you do not live (also, the presence of food does not magically make the virus less infectious).

We know that Spring will still be a risky situation. Right now only the healthcare workers (and apparently politicians) are getting the vaccine. And it is a big undertaking to get this vaccine out to everyone, no doubt. Plus, if other drug makers also get a vaccine approved too, this will have an impact on the timeline of distribution. So there are a lot of variables, not the least of which is that there are reports that the virus has mutated. We don't know for sure, but it's not stopping me from planning for this trip for next September.

If we have to cancel it, we will cancel it. There are no cancelation penalties associated with reserving rooms. Plus right now, if things go well with the vaccine and infection rates drop significantly, everyone and their uncle is going to be wanting to get out and move about the country again. So let's plan for the best, but be prepared for the possibility of the worst.

This disease is NO JOKE and it's not being overblown or overhyped in the media. It's about people dying. So yeah, it's very serious. So while we are planning this event for nine months from now, we are still all wearing our masks (I hope), staying away from other humans with whom we do not co-habitate (I hope), not encouraging super spreader events (I hope), and doing our part to spare the front line workers any more grief than they already have since they are exhausted from being overwhelmed with full ICUs.

Jason and I are prepared to pull the plug on this event if that turns out to be the safest and most responsible decision for everyone involved. But right now, the Fall is looking like our safest bet for 2021. We postponed and ultimately canceled the SW Tour event for 2020 because we knew that was the right thing to do. We'll do what is best and keep our friends and community safe, of course.
                                      -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

This is without a doubt, one of the very best drives, the we have ever been on...Went to Jason’s S2K-Days there...and Sharon & I, with another couple went back 2 years ago and spent 2 weeks out there..Not a better drive anywhere...
                                        Absolutely breathtaking.....
                                        MY'03....Silverstone / Red Loaded with "Whistles, Bells & Toys"....

Life's journey is not to arrive @ the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to "skid" in sideways, totally worn out, shouting"...holy sh*t...what a ride!"

Comment

Working...
                                        X