Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

patiently waiting
    -Roseanne

S2KDays: 2019 Gettysburg || 2018 SoCal || 2017 Fredericksburg || 2016 Durango || 2014 Hood River

Miscellaneous Musings:
    The most important lessons you need to know about life can be learned from a Weeble.

Sometimes you gotta create what you want to be a part of. -Geri Weitzman

Comment

Needles Highway (SD Hwy 87)
      Deemed “impossible” to construct by its critics, this National Scenic Byway was completed in 1922. The road lies within the 71,000 acre Custer State Park, just 30 miles south of Rapid City, and is an impressive 14 mile stretch that includes sharp turns, narrow tunnels, granite spires and world class views.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A22C92D5-A34A-43FB-A36F-12D658DDFB02.jpeg
Views:	169
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	1677807
      S2K Days Attendee: Belterra, IN - 07 | Lake George, NY - 08 | San Francisco, CA - 09 | Asheville, NC - 10 | Keystone, SD - 11 | Golden, CO - 12 | Atlanta, GA - 13 | Hood River, OR - 14 | Cumberland Falls, KY - 15 | Durango, CO - 16 | Fredericksburg, TX - 17 | SoCal, CA - 18 | Gettysburg, PA - 19

Where have you driven your S2000?

Comment

This will be a good time, Jason, and I know a lot of good people are looking forward to this. You are an excellent drive organizer and event leader.

I read a quote recently. "Leadership is not for cowards." I'm glad you'll be leading.
        -Roseanne

S2KDays: 2019 Gettysburg || 2018 SoCal || 2017 Fredericksburg || 2016 Durango || 2014 Hood River

Miscellaneous Musings:
        The most important lessons you need to know about life can be learned from a Weeble.

Comment

"Did you see that turkey?" Frederic said.

"You mean the one in front of the buffalo?" replied Jason.
          This Too Shall Pass

If it has tires or testicles, it is going to give you trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by s2kbobby View Post
            Rachel is checking out Bison in 1976. They are still there.
            Rachel Black Hills 1976
            Looking at that picture, I see there is a passenger side-view mirror added on to the car. It's the large, extended type often added on when towing something. Were you pulling a trailer?
            Last edited by R.Murphy; 03-11-2021, 05:26 PM. Reason: Helps if I don't forget the word THE.
            -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

Comment

Yup a camper trailer.
              S2KDays: 2018 SoCal || 2017 Fredericksburg || 2016 Durango || 2014 Hood River || 2011 Black Hills

Comment

For those not following updates on Facebook, this is just a quick reminder that you really want to reserve your hotel rooms if you have not already. People are absolutely going stir-crazy, and with the vaccination light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel effect, hotel rooms *anywhere* interesting are going to fill up fast for this Fall. Trips to great places like the Black Hills, which have been delayed by everyone the world over for the past year, are headed to break all records.
                -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

Comment

I recently contacted the hotel and we still have rooms at the K Bar S Lodge in Keystone. Don't forget to make your reservations early to ensure you get our group rate.

The event dates are September 19-23, but the hotel will extend the group rate for the day before and the day after for those who want to extend their visit to the Black Hills.
                  S2K Days Attendee: Belterra, IN - 07 | Lake George, NY - 08 | San Francisco, CA - 09 | Asheville, NC - 10 | Keystone, SD - 11 | Golden, CO - 12 | Atlanta, GA - 13 | Hood River, OR - 14 | Cumberland Falls, KY - 15 | Durango, CO - 16 | Fredericksburg, TX - 17 | SoCal, CA - 18 | Gettysburg, PA - 19

Comment

Just tried to book a room and they are completely full, no rooms available at any price, I booked a room at the Holiday Inn Express in Keystone (10 min away) and put my name on the wait list for the K Bar S.
                    Last edited by RobM; 04-15-2021, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RobM View Post
                      Just tried to book a room and they are completely full, no rooms available at any price, I booked a room at the Holiday Inn Express in Keystone (10 min away) and put my name on the wait list for the K Bar S.
                      When I checked with the hotel last week and we had several rooms still available. I have a message in to my contact at the K Bar S Lodge to see what happened. I will update this post when I get more information.

Comment

I just booked a room with the link you sent, it worked perfect. I told them I was with the group and there was a block of rooms reserved but sounds like we didn't quite understand each other, anyway it's handled.

Comment

^^^^ Good to hear that!

I am not at all surprised that the hotel is otherwise fully booked for that time frame. People are going to want to get out once it is truly safe to do so again. And we really did know that this would be one of the more popular destinations. It's safe to say that once our bank of rooms is used up, there will be no more. People need to get in on this one early if they want in at all.

I saw this today on the newsfeed and it's really pretty scary stuff. Right now, pretty much all of Michigan is in a bad way, the northernmost part of Texas, and the section of Arizona just east of Phoenix (Scottsdale and southeast of there) are all seeing some less than ideal infection rates. Minnesota isn't looking so great either. And that oddball spot in Oregon. Hmm.

Click image for larger version  Name:	11455.jpg Views:	0 Size:	149.7 KB ID:	1678811
                          -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

Comment

We are less than 6 months out. Can we start a countdown thread yet?
                            -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

Comment

Planning our recon trip for this drive and I'm very excited about it. Flying out in May (that is going to feel very weird!) to pre-run the drives, confirm our stopping points are good, and make sure local eateries will be able to accommodate us.

This will be my first visit to this part of the country. I've been to a lot of states, but not as much of the upper midwest.

On the list of states I am certain I have never been to yet:
                              Idaho
                              Montana
                              Wyoming
                              North Dakota
                              South Dakota
                              Nebraska
                              Kansas
                              Arkansas
                              Minnesota
                              Alaska*

On this recon, I'll be able to check off SD and WY for sure. And depending on which route we take to/from the airport in Denver, possibly NE too.
                              Last edited by R.Murphy; 04-16-2021, 06:27 PM. Reason: * Forgot about Alaska. Had to add that.
                              -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

Comment

I believe the only state that I haven’t visited or traveled though is Alaska.

Comment

Gah! Yeah, I forgot to mention Alaska. I haven't been there either. Went to Hawaii though.
                                  -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

Comment

Have you mapped out your path yet?

September might seem like a long way off in time, but it's really not. It's only five months away. And it's good that we have a bank of rooms set aside for our group because, otherwise, the hotel is already completely full.

We are pinning our hopes and plans on the expectation that most of the country will be vaccinated, that the new infection rates and hospitalizations will have declined (remember that just because YOU are vaccinated doesn't mean there is no risk --you can still get the virus; it's just unlikely to kill you-- and it doesn't mean that your presence doesn't potentially put others in danger), that the Canadians will also be able to travel with us, and that the way forward is clear, we are planning our trip and getting ready for epic-ness!

Jason and I have mapped out our path to Keystone, SD, for The Black Hills Rally in September. We have also booked our rooms for our stops along the way. It is going to be an epic road trip and we hope that others from SoCal or places along the way will join us in the journey. We are each taking our own cars so we already have two cars in our little caravan.

We leave Los Angeles on Thursday, September 16th. We are stopping in St. George, UT, and then in Rock Springs, WY. We plan to arrive in Keystone, SD, one day early (assuming no issues in route) so we can get settled in, take care of any details that need taking care of, and maybe relax a little. In reality, we will probably spend the extra time washing the cars.

Sunday September 19th is the official "arrival" day and we expect to all find each other, meet up for drinks and enjoy happy hour together. Monday, we start the driving fun in earnest with a trip over to Wind Cave National Park via US 16A and through Custer State Park. On Tuesday we head to Sturgis, Deadwood, and Spearfish. On Wednesday, it's Mt. Rushmore, Needles Highway, and a tour of Jewel Cave National Park.

Thursday, Sep 23, is departure day. Jason and I will begin a 4 day scenic journey back toward Los Angeles, and anyone who wants to tag along can do so. We will share our plans for the afterdrive/journey home also.

For now, here is our path to Keystone...

Click image for larger version

Name:	11480.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	676.2 KB
ID:	1678862
                                    -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

Comment

And because this question has been asked by a few people.

All you need to do is book your room at the hotel and let Jason (that's me, 4U2NV) know that you are joining us. It's that simple.

Basically, we have planned our vacation and are inviting our friends to tag along. It's not a huge production. We will have route sheets and a general itinerary, but this isn't some rigid format event with formalities or fees up front other than what you choose to do on your own.

Comment

Originally posted by R.Murphy View Post
                                        Planning our recon trip for this drive and I'm very excited about it. Flying out in May (that is going to feel very weird!) to pre-run the drives, confirm our stopping points are good, and make sure local eateries will be able to accommodate us.

This will be my first visit to this part of the country. I've been to a lot of states, but not as much of the upper midwest.

Idaho
                                        Montana
                                        Wyoming
                                        North Dakota
                                        South Dakota
                                        Nebraska
                                        Kansas
                                        Arkansas
                                        Minnesota
                                        Alaska*

On this recon, I'll be able to check off SD and WY for sure. And depending on which route we take to/from the airport in Denver, possibly NE too.
                                        When in May are you going to be there, I still have a few weekends open in May.

Comment

Originally posted by R.Murphy View Post

Idaho
                                          Montana
                                          Wyoming
                                          North Dakota
                                          South Dakota
                                          Nebraska
                                          Kansas
                                          Arkansas
                                          Minnesota
                                          Alaska*

You've got to get traveling. Some of those are beautiful states while others are flat as a board with nothing but corn and wheat.

I have driven my S2000 in all but three states. I have missed Alaska, Hawaii and Louisiana although I have been to Hawaii.

I route you have laid out is quite scenic. Enjoy!
                                          David...aka 'Scooots'

'09 S2K Chicane Silver Metallic #41
                                          '06 S2K Laguna Blue Pearl #952 - Gone
                                          '08 Civic SI Nighthawk Black Pearl - Gone
                                          '11 Ford Ranger Sport
                                          '55 Vespa 'Fender Light'
                                          '57 Allstate (Vespa) 'Handle Bar'
                                          '58 AllState (Vespa) 'Large Body'

Comment

Working...
                                          X