Black Hills Rally - September 19-23, 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RobM View Post

When in May are you going to be there, I still have a few weekends open in May.
    I'll PM you details later today.

Originally posted by Scooterboy View Post

You've got to get traveling. Some of those are beautiful states while others are flat as a board with nothing but corn and wheat.

I have driven my S2000 in all but three states. I have missed Alaska, Hawaii and Louisiana although I have been to Hawaii.

I route you have laid out is quite scenic. Enjoy!
    RE nothing but corn and wheat... yeah, I've seen Iowa.

I covered a LOT of ground between the ages of 17 and 25, but not so much after that. I would like to see more places. My biggest regrets are not going to Australia (Surfer's Paradise) and Brazil (Rio de Janeiro) when I had the chance in '96 or so.

People should definitely travel when they are young. Among other reasons, it's less expensive because a young body is perfectly okay with a sleeping bag on a bunk at a youth hostel. Older bodies... not so much.
    -Roseanne

S2KDays: 2019 Gettysburg || 2018 SoCal || 2017 Fredericksburg || 2016 Durango || 2014 Hood River

Miscellaneous Musings:
    The most important lessons you need to know about life can be learned from a Weeble.

Sometimes you gotta create what you want to be a part of. -Geri Weitzman

Comment

Booked room at Jason's advertised rate $149. Two queens, no Kings available.
      Last edited by s2kbobby; 05-09-2021, 05:28 PM. Reason: I don't know where I got $124 per night but the real rate was $149. Sorry for any confusion.
      S2KDays: 2018 SoCal || 2017 Fredericksburg || 2016 Durango || 2014 Hood River || 2011 Black Hills

Comment

Originally posted by s2kbobby View Post
        Booked room...
        I look forward to seeing you and Rachel. And I really, really, really hope situations are such that the Canadian/US border will be able to be open by then. Words fail me to adequately express how disheartening the entire situation has been with the pandemic. Keep safe up there and we will all see each other again soon.
        -Roseanne

S2KDays: 2019 Gettysburg || 2018 SoCal || 2017 Fredericksburg || 2016 Durango || 2014 Hood River

Miscellaneous Musings:
        The most important lessons you need to know about life can be learned from a Weeble.

Comment

Crown Royal toast
          Crown Royal toast.
          S2KDays: 2018 SoCal || 2017 Fredericksburg || 2016 Durango || 2014 Hood River || 2011 Black Hills

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	E6C92BBD-DC9B-4693-9A80-3831AC073D3E.jpeg
Views:	180
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1679000
            Iron Mountain Road is a very scenic drive located in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Just 17 miles with 314 curves, 14 switchbacks, 3 tunnels and 3 pigtails (turns which loop over their own road, allowing the road to climb rapidly).

This scenic paved road winds round and round to the 5,445-foot summit. It winds its way through Black Hills National Forest and Custer State Park and past Mount Rushmore National Monument. The road is famous for its views, horseshoe curves, and the three places it makes 360 degree turns- where the road completely circles around and passes over itself as it climbs the side of the mountain.

Source: https://www.dangerousroads.org/north...tain-road.html
            S2K Days Attendee: Belterra, IN - 07 | Lake George, NY - 08 | San Francisco, CA - 09 | Asheville, NC - 10 | Keystone, SD - 11 | Golden, CO - 12 | Atlanta, GA - 13 | Hood River, OR - 14 | Cumberland Falls, KY - 15 | Durango, CO - 16 | Fredericksburg, TX - 17 | SoCal, CA - 18 | Gettysburg, PA - 19

Where have you driven your S2000?

Comment

Takeoff video for the helicopter ride out of Keystone. We flew to Mt Rushmore, got an up-close look of the presidents, saw some of the historic gold mines, and got some great views of one of the pigtail bridges. I recommend checking it out when you come to the Black Hills Rally.

S2K Days Attendee: Belterra, IN - 07 | Lake George, NY - 08 | San Francisco, CA - 09 | Asheville, NC - 10 | Keystone, SD - 11 | Golden, CO - 12 | Atlanta, GA - 13 | Hood River, OR - 14 | Cumberland Falls, KY - 15 | Durango, CO - 16 | Fredericksburg, TX - 17 | SoCal, CA - 18 | Gettysburg, PA - 19

Comment

Originally posted by R.Murphy View Post
                Planning our recon trip for this drive and I'm very excited about it. Flying out in May (that is going to feel very weird!) to pre-run the drives, confirm our stopping points are good, and make sure local eateries will be able to accommodate us.

This will be my first visit to this part of the country. I've been to a lot of states, but not as much of the upper midwest.

On the list of states I am certain I have never been to yet:
                Idaho
                Montana
                Wyoming
                North Dakota
                South Dakota
                Nebraska
                Kansas
                Arkansas
                Minnesota
                Alaska*

On this recon, I'll be able to check off SD and WY for sure. And depending on which route we take to/from the airport in Denver, possibly NE too.

With this event, I'll knock off (for the S2000) WI, MN, SD. If I get lucky, ND and MT.

I'm going TDY in late July to north TX and I'll finish off the Deep South, with Florida saved for the Holidays.

If all holds true, that'll leave New Mexico and New England (NJ, CT, RI, MA, ME) and #49 and 50 for the Berlina.
                Last edited by JoePhotographer; 06-16-2021, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoePhotographer View Post

With this event, I'll knock off (for the S2000) WI, MN, SD. If I get lucky, ND and MT.

I'm going TDY in late July to north TX and I'll finish off the Deep South, with Florida saved for the Holidays.

If all holds true, that'll leave New Mexico and New England (NJ, CT, RI, MA, ME) and #49 and 50 for the Berlina.
                  If you do get into North Dakota and travel I-94, give us a call. We are only a mile off I-94 west of Fargo, and would enjoy having you visit.
                  S2KDays Attendee: Asheville, NC 2001 | Austin, TX 2003 | Breckenridge, CO 2004 | Las Vegas, NV 2005 | San Antonio, TX 2006 | Belterra, IN 2007 | Lake George, NY 2008 | San Francisco, CA 2009 | Asheville, NC 2010 | Keystone, SD 2011 | Golden, CO 2012 | Atlanta, GA 2013 | Hood River, OR 2014 | Cumberland Falls, KY 2015 | Durango, CO 2016 | Fredericksburg, TX 2017 | SoCal, CA 2018 | Gettysburg, PA 2019 | Bellaire, MI 2020/2021

Rose Mary
                  Casselton, ND

Comment

Back on topic of the Black Hills Rally.
                    This popped up in my Google News feed yesterday. And I could not agree more...

Name:	Screenshot_20210625-224343_Chrome.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	393.9 KB
ID:	1680482
                    -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

Comment

For those who want to arrive a day early, stay a day later, or add some interesting pre or post Keystone adventures to your trip, this recent article popped up in my Google News Feed this morning and seemed interesting for those participating in this event. --Roseanne

Credit: Outside Online, https://www.outsideonline.com/242448...nd-yellowstone

10 adventures between the Black Hills and Yellowstone

It’s hard to imagine a better, more adventure-filled road trip route than a linkup between South Dakota’s Black Hills and Wyoming’s Yellowstone National Park. Here you’ll find the perfect mix of outdoor adventures—from high-mountain hikes to expansive grassland sunsets—cultural history, and the type of friendly interactions the West is famed for. Where to start? Here are 10 must-hit stops in Black and Yellow country.

Get a Wildlife Close-Up in Custer State Park

You’ll want to stay in the car for this one—bison are not to be messed with—but drive-by fauna viewing is the idea behind the 18-mile Wildlife Loop in Custer State Park. In addition to the bison, a keen eye might spot pronghorns, bighorns, elk, deer, birds of prey, and the park's famous "begging burros." Later, rent kayaks or SUPs and head out on Sylvan or Legion lake. “Rock climbing, running, biking, hiking—you can do it all in the southern Black Hills,” says the South Dakota Outdoor Shop’s Grant van Vleet.

Hike to Another World in Badlands National Park

While hiking in Badlands is like hiking on another planet, it doesn’t have to be a gigantic mission. With supervision, kids can handle shorter routes like Notch Trail, a 1.5-mile round trip featuring a (mellow) ladder climb and big views, or Door Trail, a three-quarter-mile stroll into a fossil field. Want to go deeper? The five-mile (point-to-point) Castle Trail connects two trailheads for an easy car shuttle for fit hikers.

Take a Chill Day at Mount Rushmore

You’ve always wanted to see it, but maybe you’re concerned the kids won’t be interested? Give this monument a visit. From the Avenue of Flags to the Sculptor’s Studio to the chance to explore the grounds with a ranger or spy wildlife, it’s easy to make a day of it at the nation’s biggest shrine to democracy. Take a stroll on the Presidential Trail for unique views of each presidential face. In the evening, attend the lighting ceremony before heading back to camp or the next hotel.

Dive into Old West Culture in Deadwood

Made famous by the likes of Calamity Jane, Wild Bill Hickock, and Seth Bullock, the little town of Deadwood, South Dakota, has been on the historic register since 1961. Take a tour of the Mount Moriah Cemetery and you’ll once again be walking among heroes, villains, brothel keepers, and gamblers. Inspired? Pop into a hotel for a game of poker. Later, stroll up to the Mount Roosevelt Friendship Tower (under two miles round trip) and take in more views of the Black Hills.

Picnic and Fish Spearfish Canyon

Another Black Hills gem, Spearfish Canyon State Nature Area —south of the town of Spearfish— has plenty to explore, from ponds to hiking trails to waterfalls. It’s a hot spot for birdwatchers and an abundance of brown trout and wild rainbows make it an angler’s paradise. Need some exercise but have a narrow time window? A strenuous 2.4-mile round-trip hike up the 76 Trail—a remnant of an old mining trail from the Gold Rush days—gains you views of Spearfish Canyon from an overlook. Looking for a real challenge? If you time your trip right, the Dakota Five-O is a 50-mile mostly singletrack mountain bike race that begins in Spearfish City Park and takes place every Labor Day weekend.

Take In the Universe Over Devils Tower

This 867-foot-tall marvel of igneous rock has been sacred to many Northern Plains tribes for millennia; more recently, geologists, rock climbers, and stargazers have flocked to Devils Tower National Monument to revere its otherworldly aesthetics. Book ahead and you can camp within the monument grounds. Coming to climb? Sign on with a guide. “Climbing Devils Tower takes endurance,” says Jeff Llewellyn, guide and co-owner of Sylvan Rocks, a local guiding service. “But after our blitz course, we take beginners and intermediates up.” If you go unguided, please honor the June closure out of respect for Native peoples.

Wander Wildflower Meadows near Sundance, Wyoming

It’s the gateway to Devils Tower, and it’s famous for the Old West Sundance jail where Butch Cassidy’s train- and bank-robbing cohort earned its moniker, “The Wild Bunch.” Backpackers can make a base in Sundance before heading into the wilderness of nearby Inyan Kara Mountain. On top you’ll find expansive views and evidence of the Custer expedition. It takes some planning to summit, so contact the Bearlodge Ranger District for details. Just want to sight-see and learn about natural history? The Vore Buffalo Jump—where American Indians stampeded bison into a sinkhole—is a fascinating side trip.

Ditch the Highway for a Scenic Byway

The Black to Yellow region is home to numerous scenic byways, including Bighorn, Cloud Peak, Medicine Wheel, Chief Joseph, and Beartooth. There’s no way we could list all the trails, overlooks, picnic spots, and historic sites along the way, but if you do a bit of homework before you set out, you won’t be driving long between adventures. It's always a good idea to bring an old-school map. In the West, it’s still common for the mapping software to route you down rough roads and private drives in search of shortcuts.

Camp Out in the Bighorns

Tucked up by the Montana border, the 120,000-acre Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area is truly spectacular place. Here, thousand-foot cliffs tower over Bighorn Lake, and dozens of uncrowded hiking trails await. Got a boat? Meander the placid Bighorn River. Got an adventure van? The dispersed camping in nearby Bighorn National Forest provides perfect bases for exploration. “By August, the high country in the Bighorns is melted out and you can put in big backpacking trips above timber, just below 14,000 feet,” says Bruce Shell with Bighorn Trading.

Introduce Yourself to Yellowstone

The crown jewel of America’s National Park system, Yellowstone covers two million acres of rugged mountains, wildflower meadows, roaring geysers, and so much unfettered wildlife that it’s been called the last preserve of the American Serengeti. A careful visitor could spend a lifetime here and see something new every day. If you don’t have a lifetime to spend, take the 4.5-mile stroll to see Old Faithful and a dizzying array of geysers—all of which are marked with eruption times. Later, visit Grand Prismatic Spring to take in the colors.
                      -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

Comment

We have our fingers crossed for the Canadians as I'm hearing rumors of movement toward opening the borders in the coming weeks. Certainly the delta variant of Covid-19 is nothing to take lightly. Vaccination numbers on both sides of the border still need improvement by a ways. But I am hopeful that we will all get to a good place by September.

So in the meantime, here is a link to a Keystone, South Dakota, travel web site provided by the Keystone Chamber of Commerce. I can definitely recommend a helicopter tour from Black Hills Aerial Adventures. It's a great way to get an overhead view of a lot of the places we will be driving to see.

https://visitkeystonesd.com/

And don't forget nearby Hill City which is a fun little drive down the same road on which our hotel is located. Lovely town to walk through and take in the sites and shops. Or jump on the 1880 Train in downtown Keystone and take a steam locomotive ride over to Hill City instead. Or BOTH and catch a picture like this person on Trip Advisor did...

Conductor: One thing about trains: It doesn't matter where they're goin'. What matters is deciding to get on.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	181.7 KB ID:	1680703
                        -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

Comment

Another cool article with great info. Several of these are already on the group itinerary of this trip.

15 THINGS TO DO IN SOUTH DAKOTA NEAR MOUNT RUSHMORE AND RAPID CITY

https://www.earthtrekkers.com/best-t...a-black-hills/

Here is an excerpt of the intro:
                          The southwestern corner of South Dakota has a surprisingly long and wonderful list of things to do. Mount Rushmore, Badlands National Park, and Custer State Park are the big draws for many visitors to this part of the United States, but there is plenty more to keep you busy. In this post, we cover the best things to do in South Dakota near Rapid City.

ABOUT THIS LIST

Everything on this list is located in southwest South Dakota, in and around Rapid City.

You can visit all of these places by setting up one home base in Rapid City or the Black Hills of South Dakota, but if you plan to visit Badlands National Park, I recommend spending one or two nights in Wall, to save yourself a lot of driving.

At the end of this list, I have one bonus recommendation…an American icon that is not located in South Dakota but makes an awesome day trip from the Black Hills.

Click the link above for the full article.
                          -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

Comment

So the Canadians have announced they intend to open the border to allow fully vaccinated travelers from the US beginning August 9. Assuming that it is indeed safe to do so, I hope that this is an indication that the Canadians will be able to travel to the US soon too. We will have to wait and see what announcements are made by the US regarding that.

As always, the most important thing is that we all do what is best for people's health and well-being. At the same time, I also miss our Canadian buddies and I hope we can all safely enjoy a glass of Crown Royal together in September. I will accept whatever the science says is best for all of us long-term. But I sure do have my fingers crossed and am doing what I'm supposed to in order to stay as healthy as possible so we can all see each other again soon.

On last count, we have 27 people going. So that's exciting. It's a nice number for this kind of thing. I'm really looking forward to it. Whatever the number ends up being isn't really going to matter. What will matter is reconnecting and having a good time.
                            -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

Comment

Are you fully vaccinated and ready to travel? If not, please get that done so we can all travel and more safely enjoy events. Make your appointments NOW and do your part.

No, the vaccine is NOT a guarantee that you will not contract Covid-19 and the more contagious variants. But it WILL give you a fighting chance of avoiding severe illness and hospitalization. Without it, your odds are much worse. It's kind of like a seatbelt in a 40mph crash. You will still end up sore, but you won't get ejected from the car where your chances of death are much higher.

Mask up, get vaccinated, wash your hands often. And wear your seatbelt.

Name:	SEATBELT_MASK_03.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	1681140
                              -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

Comment

sigpic

2013 Subaru BRZ, 2013 Fiat Abarth, 2003 S2000, 2014 Honda CBR 500RA, 1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite,2004 Lakeland Terrier (Sydney)

Comment

Looking forward to the event.

My girlfriend will be on vacation in the D.R., so she can't make it. Her first event with us will be the Red River Gorge in October.

Comment

Hi All!

If you have not yet been vaccinated and plan to join us all in the Black Hills, for everyone's safety, please go do that as soon as you possibly can. Below is a link to help you find a location in the US to get your vaccination. Remember that the recommended interval between doses is 21 days for Pfizer-BioNTech and 28 days for Moderna; however, up to 42 days between doses is permissible when a delay is unavoidable. (source: www.CDC.gov) The start of the Black Hills Rally is only 45 days away and you'll want to allow time for full efficacy as well as some down time for any of the common side effects which you might experience.

Find Covid-19 vaccines near you:
                                    https://www.vaccines.gov/search/

Being vaccinated does not guarantee you will not contract Covid-19, but it does give your body the means by which to fight the worst effects of the virus. It's kind of like current anti-lock braking systems. They won't make you stop faster, but they will give you a better chance of maintaining control of the vehicle in a panic situation and maybe drive *around* the obstacle instead of just locking up the wheels and sliding straight into the obstacle.

P.S. Just a heads up. I will be wearing a mask while indoors, in large crowds of people, or around anyone who I do not know is vaccinated. I really don't GAF about what anyone else might construe (or misconstrue) this as meaning. This is about my health and the health of the people with whom I come into contact. We are all going to die someday, but I have no interest in hurrying the process along.
                                    Last edited by R.Murphy; 08-05-2021, 02:42 PM. Reason: remove duplicate word
                                    -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

Comment

Originally posted by R.Murphy View Post
                                      P.S. Just a heads up. I will be wearing a mask while indoors, in large crowds of people, or around anyone who I do not know is vaccinated. I really don't GAF about what anyone else might construe (or misconstrue) this as meaning. This is about my health and the health of the people with whom I come into contact. We are all going to die someday, but I have no interest in hurrying the process along.
                                      Same here, for me. Texas to Ohio to Minnesota, to North Dakota to South Dakota. A ton of hot spots! As a youth sports official, it's important to me to stay as healthy, during this Delta and Delta+ explosion.

Please, if you haven't already, get the vaccine. Save your life, and the ones you love, as well.
                                      Last edited by JoePhotographer; 08-09-2021, 12:10 PM.

Comment

>> We all have that one friend who is either on a road-trip
                                        or planning a road-trip or thinking about a road-trip
                                        or talking to people who are on road-trip
                                        or posting quotes about road-trip.

– Crestless Wave

Jason Hight, your reputation precedes you!

Name:	BlackHillsRally2021Logo.png
Views:	80
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	1681266
                                        -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

Comment

I have numerous plans for events in the works.

The next few years are going to be a lot of fun visiting all sorts of new places.

Comment

Working...
                                          X