Winter Wine Tour '07 Wrap Up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Wine Tour '07 Wrap Up

It’s over for this year and I must admit this one was the best. Once again the people that came from all over the Northwest and Southwest regions made the event.

Laughter was the main theme through out the time we spent together. Friday night at the Mandolina tasting room we all gathered for two hours to meet and get acquainted. About 30 minutes in Cindy was swamped and recruited Ginny and Karen to keep the juice flowing. At about the same time the whole place erupted in noise and laughter that lasted the rest of the weekend.

Carol provided the WWT '07 programs. Everyone loved the wine stains. Thanks Carol.

Saturday dawned to the first rain in months. Nothing could dampen our spirits at the event sponsored breakfast. Loud was the order of the morning as everyone picked up where they left off the night before. Come to think of it maybe it was the 18 pots of coffee Ted brewed that set the mood. Karen Adams graciously handled final registration and we on the committee want to give her a special thank you.

Thank you again to all the WWT ’07 raffle sponsors for supporting S2KCA. All the the winners were drawn by the beautiful Miss Salsa.

Look for the pictures with everyone in our new hats provided by American Honda Parts Division and thank you to Jaleen for arranging the Honda donations.

Other Honda product winners;
    T-shirt Richard Paluck
    Sweat Shirt Al Gatly

Jim Hall Kart Racing $50.00 Gift Certificates;
    Tom Wigging
    Mike Freitas

Cobalt Friction GT-Sport brake pads;
    Walter Clark
    John Quint

Burtman Industries $20.00 gift certificates;
    Ted Williams
    Mike Freitas
    Larry Martinez

First Horizon Home Loans Melville Pinot Noir;
    Jaleen Clark
    Mike McLaughlin
    Carol Garsten

Nature Gallery gemstone pen;
    Vinny Colabelli

Leatherique products;
    Hans Pustelink
    Steven Nicholson
    One more I can't identify, but we gave it away!

Rick’s gift certificates;
    Ken Mederios $25.000
    $50.00 unknown, but we gave it away.
    Sandi Migliazza $100.00
    Sue Van Bavel $150.00

4X4 Oil transmission and rear end lubricant;
    Greg Adams
    Steve Williams

Meguire’s Enthusiast Car Care Kit;
    Devika Ogdon

Meguire’s also sponsored Quick Detailer for every member in attendance.

Streetsmart SPods $50.00 gift certificate;
    Bill Pickering

T.E.A.M Racing one free track day in 2007;
    Tim Gedney

TrackMasters Racing one free track day or $100 off at Laguna Seca or Infineon;
    Kerry Gonzales

S2KCA 2007 Calendar;
    Traci Scott

The raffle went a little further by raffling off unopened wine bottles from dinner. I think everyone went home with two prizes.

The thing I liked the best about WWT ’07 is easy this year. The special treatment we received at all the wineries. Private tasting, winery tours, free tasting, 30% off on purchases at most stops. The Friday night reception at Mandolina felt more like a party at someone’s home than a reception at a business. These things were available to us this year because of Cindy Williams and her connections in the Solvang area. Thank you so much Cindy! Thanks to Ted too because without Ted there is no Cindy. Really Ted and I were the committee this year and he should get full credit also.

We did a little business at the Saturday night banquet. We had Chapter meetings from S2KLA, San Diego, and Bay Area. So all of these chapters have one event in the books for this year. The most exciting news is that Sue Van Bavel has accepted the chapter organizer position for Central Coast Cruisers so we can add another chapter to the list soon. There is talk that the Cruisers will be setting up a spring wine tour in the Paso Robles area. Watch the forums for more information.

We took a vote on Saturday night on the Sunday lunch location. We were setup to have lunch delivered to Koehler winery to eat in the garden and we had a 40% chance of rain. It went to vote and 100% in favor of Koehler and not the safe indoor lunch at the hotel. Mother Nature smiled on us, it was mostly sunny and the lunches from El Rancho Market were delicious. We had our only drama of the weekend when my credit card was declined for unusual pattern of purchases. I guess I don’t party enough. This would never happen 20 or 30 years ago.

Please if you attended post your thoughts by adding on to this thread and post your pictures here;

http://www.s2kca.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13232

Thanks to everyone who came this year and especially the people who cleaned up after the breakfast. I only mentioned we needed help once and the place was totally clean and put away in minutes. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I want to thank the club for the special magnum of wine from Rideau signed by the wine maker. I understand it is only one of a few left unsold and I can't wait to open and enjoy it. Rideau was my favorite stop, but I couldn't buy anything because of the credit card problem. Oh well! I live close.

Can’t wait till next year to see you all again. :drivingsk
    Last edited by Larmoe; 01-30-2007, 03:20 PM.
    S2KLA/Central Coast Cruisers

Bravo Larry! I can't wait to hear more. You and all who were involved in the planning and wonderful execution of WWT '07 should all step back and take a bow.

Well done all!
    Davo

The older I get, the faster I was

'02 Sebring Silver
    '07 VW Touareg V6
    '70 Volvo 1800E

Comment

holy cow what an event! you guys must be exhausted. congrats to all who helped make it such a success! I cant wait to see pix!

Comment

I really wish I could have been there... Well, there's always next year.
        "Blue Oh-Two" (#424)
        Rick's header, Hondata gasket, Mugen thermostat/fan switch, Mugen radiator cap, Aussie mirror, Lucid's rear speakers, Alpine CDA-7893R & KCE-865B, Muz's saddlebag, Windscreen Light, Modifry's glove box organizer and lots of Zaino!

Comment

Sounds like a great turnout and fun was had by all! Good job to everybody who put it together!!!

Comment

Thanks to all that planned and helped make this a wonderful event once again.
            Centralcoastbuc

2004 Sebring Silver S2000

Comment

First and foremost, I would like to thank Larry, for all the hard work that I am sure he spent organizing such a special weekend! Also, to Ted & Cindy for the awesome Friday night get together at their winery.

This weekend ranks right up there with WWT '06 that we all enjoyed last year, EXCEPT the Rain Gods were not nice to us this year at all. We had rain on both days to deal with which wasn't bad but it kept the speeds down on the fantastic drives through the vineyards. We had 21 cars for the WWT and I think 44 people attended. Once again though this club rocks with all the different personalities and love of the S2000.

Again thanks to EVERYONE for making it such a great weekend!

Comment

Well...
                Just A Little Update From The Williams Family. We Now Know The Effort That Goes Into Running A Smooth Event.. Sounds Like A Honda Doesn't It!!!
                Larry, You Were Great ,We Loved The Event, The People That Came Together, The Conversations, The New Friends , All Because Of These Cute Little Cars!! :drivingsk Carol thanks for letting me hitch a ride with you I had a fantastic time the best was driving topless in the rain Thank you all so much for coming to WWT, And thank you Larry, Had you not let me drive with the group last year I may have never joined the club. This past year has been the best! I'm really excited about The new centralcoast chapter that is getting started. We can't wait to see everyone again.

Comment

[QUOTE=TRWS2K]Carol thanks for letting me hitch a ride with you I had a fantastic time the best was driving topless in the rain. [QUOTE]

Carol.....is there something you want to tell us?

Ted - it sounds like you and Cindy were a very big part of planning this event as well so hats off to both of you for helping to make this another great WWT event! That Carol can drive, can't she?
                  Davo

'02 Sebring Silver
                  '07 VW Touareg V6
                  '70 Volvo 1800E

Comment

Larry - thanks a lot for making this happen. Thanks to Ted and Carol for being the perfect host/hostess. Thanks to all of you for making me feel so welcome. Finally to Ken for being gutsy enough to be the navigator - Thanks again EVERYONE and hope to see you all soon.
                    Take care and best wishes.

Comment

Yes she can! I'm glad she got new Bridgstones before WWT. We only had one spinout on WWT that was Al & Ginny leaving Mellville they did a 360 but no one saw it happen. Luckly they were OK.

Comment

Wonderful People ...Wonderful Time!

I have been thinking about how to respond and I can only say WOW! This to me felt more like a family reunion than a meeting of people (many for the first time) sharing a common interest and passion for a sports car. Everyone and I mean EVERYONE was quick to laugh, quick to share and quick to care for the well being of those they barely knew. Larry your a true gentleman, and one hell of an organizer! Ted and Cindy your being so gracious left Carolyn and I speechless. Steve thank you for your kind offer to assist in the installation of the hardtop for my 01 s2k. (It is Stella isn't it?) Our apologies to anyone we did not mention it was not intentional Thank you one and all for a spectacular weekend and we look forward to seeing all of you soon

John & Carolyn
                        Last edited by s2kx2; 01-30-2007, 01:00 PM.

Comment

That's what this Club is really all about John! I only wish I could have joined you all. It's sounds very much like what we had at S2KDays in San Antonio. I think the best part of the entire event was the bonfire we had after the banquet - nobody wanted it to end.
                          Davo

'02 Sebring Silver
                          '07 VW Touareg V6
                          '70 Volvo 1800E

Comment

very kool guys... im totally jelous
                            glad u all had a great time, big claps for all who made this excellent event possible!

Comment

Karen and I enjoyed the whole weekend. These are some of the planned aspects of the tour that went very well:
                              * The Friday night reception
                              * The Saturday breakfast registration
                              * The drives
                              * The wine tasting
                              * The lunches
                              * The banquet
                              * The raffle

For everyone that helped out with those, thank you very much. I know the list includes Larry, Ted, Cindy, Carol, Kerry, and probably others. I know we have a lot of sponsors that also made the weekend possible and we’re very grateful to them too.

All of that stuff made the most important aspect of the weekend so successful, and that's all of the socializing that filled the weekend from beginning to end. As Larry described, the weekend started with the boisterous reception and never really quieted down.

Some people we hadn't seen since the last WWT, others we had seen more recently on drives, and we met a lot of people for the first time. We thoroughly enjoyed chatting and laughing with all of you and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

The weekend actually got off to a great start for us with the San Diego/OC/LA/Ventura caravan. Everyone found the rendezvous locations and was on time or early. Larry led us on a great drive from Ventura to the hotel that was much more scenic and twisty than the more typical route through Santa Barbara. We enjoyed it so much we reversed the route for the trip home.

We stayed an extra night and had a very fun dinner Sunday evening with Ted and Cindy (TRWS2K) and Al and Ginny (algin). We had so much fun on the official WWT, we just had to get a little more.

The rain has already been mentioned and while it did slow us down a bit and force us to drive with the tops up much more than many of us have ever done before, none of us was going to let the moisture ruin our weekend.

I was so confident the rain wouldn’t be a factor I had the boot cover on the car. It ended up staying in the trunk Saturday and Sunday. But when it came to packing up to go home Monday morning, we faced a challenge. We woke up to very wet streets, gloomy skies, and predictions of more rain. Since we could barely get our stuff in the trunk without the boot cover, we needed to find another place for it. Ulrich told me at the last WWT that he could get his boot cover in the “package tray” (the area where the top folds down). I gave it try and it worked perfectly – without impairing what little visibility the back window provides without obstruction. Thanks Ulrich As Ulrich had explained it, the key is to slide the boot cover in place with the top partially up.

Once we were in Santa Barbara, the clouds weren’t so gloomy, so the boot cover came out, the top went down, and the boot cover went back to where it belongs. We enjoyed top-down driving the rest of the way home.

We came home with great memories, phone numbers, and plans to get together with several of the friends we met or met again on the tour. We look forward to seeing you soon. As for the next Winter Wine Tour, we’re already looking forward to it. My only concern is that the WWT 07 team set the bar too high for next year’s team!

Comment

Originally posted by jgadams
                                Ulrich told me at the last WWT that he could get his boot cover in the “package tray” (the area where the top folds down). I gave it try and it worked perfectly – without impairing what little visibility the back window provides without obstruction. Thanks Ulrich As Ulrich had explained it, the key is to slide the boot cover in place with the top partially up.
                                Hey, someone actually listens to my ramblings?
                                "Blue Oh-Two" (#424)
                                Rick's header, Hondata gasket, Mugen thermostat/fan switch, Mugen radiator cap, Aussie mirror, Lucid's rear speakers, Alpine CDA-7893R & KCE-865B, Muz's saddlebag, Windscreen Light, Modifry's glove box organizer and lots of Zaino!

Comment

Kate and I have been to all three of the tours. This was the best yet. A bunch of new roads, :drivingsk new wineries (two of my personal favorites and I sware that I did not pick them in advance or twist any arms). Meet a several new members here in the area and the central coast chapter looks like it might get of the jack stands and turn a wheel. Hope so.

A TOPS DOWN SALUTE to Cindy, Ted and Larry

Thanks for a wonderful time.
                                  Mike McLaughlin

'02 S2000

Comment

Larry had asked me whether it was worth the trip from Houston. Let me tell you, it was more than worth the trip!

Making new friends, enjoying fine wine, fine conversation, and having a good time - Priceless!

Larry did an excellent job of organizing such an exceptional event. He offered recommendations to me from the time that I was first contemplating attending WWT07. He even took the time to take me on a "bonus" drive on Sunday. For those of you that attended last year's WWT, the drive included a stop at the Cold Spring Taven. He really made the most of my short trip to California. Thank you, Larry.

Even the bad weather couldn't dampen the good times. The drives were still scenic and so much fun. In addition, the goodie bags, meals, and raffle were outstanding. A thank you goes out to the sponsors.

A special thanks goes out to Devika for letting me ride along with her and especially for letting me drive her car. If it wasn't for her, I would have been forced to drive my rental Mustang with an automatic transmission. Mahalo nui loa, Devika.

Thank you Ted and Cindy for wonderful job on the wine tasting. I tasted some outstanding wines.

To all of the new people that I have met and the ones that I already knew, I hope to see you soon at a future S2KCA event. I'm glad that I decided to attend the WWT as a brithday present to myself.

I am definitely going to try to make it to next year's WWT. However, I'll have to bring my car so that I can take some wine home.

Some of you other Lone Star members will have to join me.

Ken
                                    sigpic

Comment

Wow again.......

Greg - since you have captured what everyone felt and since I have finally recovered from the weekend - never driven so much and tasted wine and met so many new faces and experienced such excitement and had to clean the car when I got home - all in one weekend.
                                      I wanted to especially thank Karen/Greg & Carolyn/John & April/Tim & Mike/Uncle Mike for keeping an eye on me and making sure everything was okay with me. Had a blast and I have sent my pics to a lot of people to make them jealous and told everyone about this.
                                      Again - thanks very much to everyone and wishing you continued fun with the S2K.

Comment

Dev - I felt guilty about contributing to the dirty car and not helping you clean it.
                                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                        X