Dashcam Fun! captured on video

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dashcam Fun! captured on video

This is a clip that was shared to my Facebook feed a couple of years ago and popped up in my "On This Day" memories today. I know this section of road very well. I am certain this driver was much more calm and a lot less vocal than I would have been. Recording be damned. I would have been bleeping this and bleeping that like a sailor.

-Roseanne

"Wait... r.murphy isn't a dude?"
    California Dreamin'

FOLLOW S2KCA-LA ON FACEBOOK:
    https://www.facebook.com/S2KCALA/

Here's me cussing like a sailor...

The excitement happens at the 13 second mark, and it's all over by 16 seconds, but I'm cussing for a solid 20 seconds more after that. The rest is just because I didn't edit the segment length from what came off the camera, which is 1 minute.

UM.... dude?
    Capture.JPG

Dude?!!
    Capture2.JPG

DUDE!!
    Capture3.JPG

This lens does a bit of fish eye effect so objects are a crapton closer than they appear. I was literally inches off this guy. I was not happy with regard to this scenario. Much cussing ensued. Many F-bombs dropped. I questioned his lineage and the legitimacy of his birth.
    Capture4.JPG

-Roseanne

California Dreamin'

Comment

That is some colossally stupid driving!! Stupid in a car astronomically so on a bike. In complete denial of his/her venerability under the circumstances. Take some pleasure in the fact that you will certainly outlive this idiot! There will certainly come a day when he meets another nutcase in a pickup who won't think twice about punting him over the edge. And laugh!
      2000 AP1 mods: Kraftwerks high boost supercharger kit, Proflow Design throttle body, AP2 transmission, Stage 2 Competition Clutch, KW Variant 3 coilovers, RM strut tower brace, MG Racing X brace, AP2 V1 wheels, AP2 rear wing, Moddiction heat shield, Hella horns, Custom fab cold air box, Ceramic coated exhaust manifold, Fujitsubo Legalis R dual exhaust, custom front splitter, and custom vented OEM hood.

Comment

It wouldn't have been as bad if there was someplace for me to go in that situation, but I was on the white line at that point. Any further and I would have been kissing the boulders on my right. And I'm pretty sure that wouldn't bring me the luck of the Irish (aka the Blarney Stone).

I just can't imagine what the hell this moron was thinking going into a completely blind turn with no shoulder on either side and choosing to cross the double yellow.

And then I'm just thankful there were no bicyclists on my side of the road just around that corner. If one had been there, he or she would be dead or at least extremely badly injured getting punted by a car doing 22mph (I scrubbed off 20mph in a hurry there; admittedly I was expecting to brake for that turn, but not that much). I would normally *never* run it that close to the right through there because who the heck wants to squish a cyclist?
        -Roseanne

California Dreamin'

Comment

Easy choice...(at least for me) innocent cyclist or idiot motorcyclist. A real instant morality test!
          2000 AP1 mods: Kraftwerks high boost supercharger kit, Proflow Design throttle body, AP2 transmission, Stage 2 Competition Clutch, KW Variant 3 coilovers, RM strut tower brace, MG Racing X brace, AP2 V1 wheels, AP2 rear wing, Moddiction heat shield, Hella horns, Custom fab cold air box, Ceramic coated exhaust manifold, Fujitsubo Legalis R dual exhaust, custom front splitter, and custom vented OEM hood.

Comment

Of course we are always looking for the way out with zero damage, but given the options: the motorcyclist has a big helmet on, presumably suitable clothing/gear, is at least on a vehicle that could absorb *some* of the energy of the impact, and has a better chance of survival. The cyclist has almost none of that. If I have to hit something with a person on it and I have no other option, it's gonna be the motorcycle. The kindest solution and with least likelihood of damage to humans in that scenario, though, would be for me (and the S2000) to eat a bit of the rock wall. I don't know that I would think to do it though.
            -Roseanne

California Dreamin'

Comment

That's the whole key, it has to be an instantaneous decision. No time to think. First response teams, combat forces and medics are all trained in the ability to make split second life and death decisions. It's not an enviable position to be in but there are no opt out choices, it's a real test of morality and character.

Comment

I would have taken the guy out because I would have been in third gear, downshifting to second..

"It's rocket science but it's well understood rocket science." - Naveen Jain

sigpic
                2005 S2000 Silverstone Metallic - Fujita F5, ACT HDSS clutch, Work Emotion XD-9, Cobalt XR3 brake pads, Russell SS brake lines,
                Mugen reservoir socks, Modifry glove box organizer, factory headrest speakers, factory Ti shift knob, S2KCA logo throughout

Comment

okay Sean, bring your S2000 out to s2k days Malibu. This road is on one of our routes. I want to see you take that corner going in hot third gear down to second!
                  -Roseanne

California Dreamin'

Comment

Originally posted by R.Murphy View Post
                    The kindest solution and with least likelihood of damage to humans in that scenario, though, would be for me (and the S2000) to eat a bit of the rock wall.
                    Kindest solution yeah, and the motorcyclist would drive on down the road with little more than a glance in his rear view mirror and no accountability.

Comment

As well, there's no guarantee that the contact with the rocks wouldn't spin you around into the guardrail and off the drop. It takes a special kind of person to risk their own life for someone else's (let alone for some thoughtless idiot). Maybe for a child or an innocent but not that fool!

Comment

Originally posted by R.Murphy View Post
                        OThe kindest solution and with least likelihood of damage to humans in that scenario, though, would be for me (and the S2000) to eat a bit of the rock wall. I don't know that I would think to do it though.
                        My firm belief in natural selection would prevent me from doing that as well as the above mentioned high likelihood of zero concern or accountability from the motorcyclist.

Comment

At 20 mph, seems unlikely that I would end up bouncing off the rock, crossing the road, defeating the guardrail and going over the side. I think I would just stop the hard way. But still, I'm glad to not test that theory.
                          -Roseanne

California Dreamin'

Comment

That was a worst case, but on a curve there's always the chance of other oncoming cars getting involved. Not a gamble I'd like to take.

Comment

Indeed.
                              -Roseanne

California Dreamin'

Comment

Working...
                              X