A group of people on a long trip, what medical information is needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R.Murphy View Post
    This may be overkill for your trip, but I stumbled across it today and thought it seemed like a very cool idea and worth a look. It's a GPS tracker which can summon help in critical emergencies.

https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=100
    I have seen these before, might be a good idea. I think Top Gear guys did something with one of these.
    Coop
    Life Member 57
    KE0BND
    What other people think of me, is none of my business
    It's Five O' Clock Somewhere

Become an S2KCA member, tell them Coop sent you

Comment

Yup, with the hamster (Hammond) at the North pole (or somewhere near).
      2000 AP1 mods: Kraftwerks high boost supercharger kit, Proflow Design throttle body, AP2 transmission, Stage 2 Competition Clutch, KW Variant 3 coilovers, RM strut tower brace, MG Racing X brace, AP2 V1 wheels, AP2 rear wing, Moddiction heat shield, Hella horns, Custom fab cold air box, Ceramic coated exhaust manifold, Fujitsubo Legalis R dual exhaust, custom front splitter, and custom vented OEM hood.

Comment

Yeah. Those remote trips are tricky. Boundary Waters, while not remote, are off limits to anything motorized. So if you break a bone, get struck by lightning, or die, you get packed out. No one comes to get you. With that being said, when I got nailed, the guide with us had training on how to asses me for a stroke/issues, and CPR. He also had a satellite phone which he used to call a hospital in Cook to get advice to make sure I was ok overnight until they could pack me out the next morning. Is there something you could possibly rent, and only pay an extra fee if you use it? I have no idea how that works.
        This Too Shall Pass

If it has tires or testicles, it is going to give you trouble.

Comment

How about bear spray? Works on two legged varmints too.
          There will be momma bears with cubs, and heaven help you if momma thinks you are a danger to junior.
          "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits."

Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by griffon View Post
            How about bear spray? Works on two legged varmints too.
            There will be momma bears with cubs, and heaven help you if momma thinks you are a danger to junior.
            Everyone will carry Bear Spray, this summer I will purchase some new cans and get rid of the old. I personally think Bear spray is better than any weapon you can carry, at least on 4 legged animals.
            Coop
            Life Member 57
            KE0BND
            What other people think of me, is none of my business
            It's Five O' Clock Somewhere

Become an S2KCA member, tell them Coop sent you

Comment

I hear it works reasonably well on two-legged ones, too.

"It's rocket science but it's well understood rocket science." - Naveen Jain

sigpic
              2005 S2000 Silverstone Metallic - Fujita F5, ACT HDSS clutch, Work Emotion XD-9, Cobalt XR3 brake pads, Russell SS brake lines,
              Mugen reservoir socks, Modifry glove box organizer, factory headrest speakers, factory Ti shift knob, S2KCA logo throughout

Comment

Coop,

I am not a medical expert. However, a bad medical issue could cause problems and ruin the trip.

I work and have worked in remote areas and this is the general approach.

1) Everyone has to pass a medical exam and pass an acceptance level that you set.
                2) One person needs to have advanced first aid if you will be in a remote area. Advance first aid can stabilize the patient for many hours or long enough to get to a doctor.
                3) Prepare for remote evacuation which includes either full radio contact or a sat phone.

I am not sure exactly where you are going. The North slope has good medical facilities. Most of Alaska is probably served by air ambulance.
                2000 NFR - Tein in car adjustable coilovers, 2.2 liter bottom end, Hardtop, K-Pro Custom Roll Bar,
                Custom Brake Vents, Custom Mod to Stock Seat, Backyard Special Low Mount Seat
                Rail from Bulletproof Automotive Koyo Radiator, Oil Cooler

Comment

Working...
                X