Happy Memorial Day

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Memorial Day

I would like to thank all of those who have served, Happy Merorial Day.
    Coop
    Life Member 57
    KE0BND
    What other people think of me, is none of my business
    It's Five O' Clock Somewhere

Become an S2KCA member, tell them Coop sent you

I would like to thank my great uncle John Easley for his service and sacrifice. The information below records his courage the last few minutes of his life but, it misses out on who he was as a person. Family stories and memories told to me over the years indicates that he loved being around kids. My mom told me he would pick up the family kids and spin them around for fun. His last summer spent with my Uncle George on the family farm he was more serious and my Uncle George told me he knew that his uncle John was facing danger when he returned to the war. He faced the danger and led men into battle. During a landing, was wounded and stayed on the beach leading his troops during a counterattack, Only after his men repelled the attack did he return to the ship for treatment. I also heard that in the last few days of the battle, there was a two year old child wandering around Tinian that he picked up and personally cared for until he was able to make sure the child would be properly taken care of by the red cross. During the surprise attach on the last day of the battle the HQ position was attacked and he organized the medical and clerical personnel to defend HQ. He was killed in action.

Thanks Uncle John and all those who have sacrificed so that we can live free.
    Silver Star Medal
    The President of the United States of America takes pride in presenting the Silver Star (Posthumously) to Lieutenant Colonel John W. Easley (MCSN: 0-5184), United States Marine Corps, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity as a Commanding Officer of the Third Battalion, Sixth Marines, SECOND Marine Division, during action against enemy Japanese forces on Tinian, Marianas Islands, 2 August 1944. When a large number of hostile troops launched a savage onslaught against the battalion command post, pinning down all personnel with intense machine-gun and small arms fire, Lieutenant Colonel Easley unhesitatingly exposed himself to a withering barrage from Japanese weapons and skillfully directed his units throughout the violent counterattack which followed, fighting with determined aggressiveness until he was fatally wounded by enemy fire. By his inspiring leadership and great personal valor in the face of grave peril, Lieutenant Colonel Easley enabled his men to annihilate the hostile force, and his selfless conduct throughout was in keeping with the highest traditions of The United States Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.
    General Orders: Commander in Chief, Pacific: Serial 12682 (May 10, 1945
    Action Date: August 2, 1944
    Service: Marine Corps
    Company: Commanding Officer
    Battalion: 3d Battalion
    Regiment: 6th Marines
    Division: 2d Marine Division
    2000 NFR - Tein in car adjustable coilovers, 2.2 liter bottom end, Hardtop, K-Pro Custom Roll Bar,
    Custom Brake Vents, Custom Mod to Stock Seat, Backyard Special Low Mount Seat
    Rail from Bulletproof Automotive Koyo Radiator, Oil Cooler

Comment

So I received some shit here and on Facebook about me still saying Happy Memorial Day, so maybe I should explain that to me it is Happy Memorial Day and always will be, you might think differently, that’s up to you. I know. Memorial Day was started to honor those that gave there lives for our country. I have lost friends, most not even close friends, but guys I knew when I was a kid or had drinks with while I served, that where lost in battle or military mishaps and this day brings back fond memories of those people, yes I am said they are gone, but happy when I remember them when they where around, many times people are forget, but this day helps me remember them fondly. I said why to me it is Happy Memorial Day, never said it is how others would see it. Today also makes me think about grandfathers, cousin that I never knew, as my family has lost relatives to war for this country since the American Revolution
      Coop
      Life Member 57
      KE0BND
      What other people think of me, is none of my business
      It's Five O' Clock Somewhere

Become an S2KCA member, tell them Coop sent you

Comment

One of the nice things about Facebook is that if you post a status on your page, you have the right to say whatever is on your mind. And if someone replies to your post on your status that you don't like, you can remove that comment, if you so choose. But you get to say whatever you like in your status about whatever is on your mind. If others don't agree, you don't need to care about it. Or you can choose to explain it there.

I don't see anyone giving you shit here.

If you explained your point of view on your status post on FB and people don't understand, that sounds like their problem.
        -Roseanne

"Wait... r.murphy isn't a dude?"
        California Dreamin'

FOLLOW S2KCA-LA ON FACEBOOK:
        https://www.facebook.com/S2KCALA/

"It's one thing to be a garden variety asshole. It's another thing entirely to be an asshole with malice and intent." -Nalé

Comment

I have also gotten mixed messages on the "Happy" Memorial Day as well. One acquaintance flat out told me that this is a somber holiday that is not meant for any celebration whatsoever. We are not to have any merriment or cheer at all. And apparently it is of the worst of the worst to wish a Veteran a "Happy" Memorial Day.

I reminded her that this was a day of remembrance, and not all people wanted to be remembered with tears and mournful sadness. My grandfather, a Navy man who served in WWII, would be horrified with such a thing. One of my dad's closest buddies, who was an absolutely brilliant pilot who served in Korea, and was active military in the Air Force for most of his life, would have been appalled with such a thought.

I was lectured.

I guess this is why America is what it is. <<<SHRUG>>>
          This Too Shall Pass

If it has tires or testicles, it is going to give you trouble.

Comment

To me Memorial Day is to CELEBRATE those that have served and sacrificed. We honor them by CELEBRATING Memorial Day. In our family funerals are a joyous time when those that have passed have thrown off the bonds of there earthly body and whoas and entered a better place. That's just us!
            David...aka 'Scooots'

'09 S2K Chicane Silver Metallic #41
            '06 S2K Laguna Blue Pearl #952 - Gone
            '08 Civic SI Nighthawk Black Pearl - Gone
            '11 Ford Ranger Sport
            '55 Vespa 'Fender Light'
            '57 Allstate (Vespa) 'Handle Bar'
            '58 AllState (Vespa) 'Large Body'

Comment

Working...
            X