Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The S2KCA clock. What is the history on it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.Murphy
    started a topic The S2KCA clock. What is the history on it?

The S2KCA clock. What is the history on it?

So I understand it is a tradition that the S2KCA clock gets transferred to the next year's organizer for S2KDays every year, but I don't know how or when this tradition came about.

Can someone fill in the details?

Here is a picture of the clock (note that the time has stopped: just be because S2KDays has begun! ).

20180630_233628.jpg

• R.Murphy
    replied
    Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
    S2KDays Lake Tahoe?
    S2KDays Sedona
    S2KDays Flagstaff
    S2KDays Devil's Highway

I could definitely see those.

But Utah... just keeps seeming like a good idea. Zion, Bryce, Grand Staircase... those places seem to keep calling to me. Just not in July or August.
    Last edited by R.Murphy; 08-07-2018, 11:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• AZS2KDancer
    replied
    I’ve driven from Sacramento to Tahoe and back again for ski trips and on a cross-country from from New York City to Sacramento. Those are Heavenly Roads. I’d love to be up there again with the S the next time.

Leave a comment:

• R.Murphy
    replied
    BTW, if you miss it so much (I mean, Christmas *and* your birthday combined?!), why don't you revive it? You aren't that far away that it couldn't be done. Something so loved sounds like the kind of thing you don't let die.

Leave a comment:

• R.Murphy
    replied
    Originally posted by gomarlins3 View Post

You are talking about SacS2KDays of which I was involved in #2-#6.
    Nope. I don't think that is what I was talking about. The event that someone was mentioning to me caused some sort of serious blowback and a HUGE falling out amongst a lot of people and much bad blood, as it was described to me. Doesn't sound at all like what you are talking about above with the huge font.

Leave a comment:

• gomarlins3
    replied
    Originally posted by R.Murphy View Post
    So I dunno. Besides, wasn't Tahoe (or Reno?) done and then done again a bit back in the day? Before my time, but I seem to have heard a bunch about that area and it being a point of contention... something about a Sac2KDays or something. And yeah, soooooo not wanting to dredge up whatever that was.
    You are talking about SacS2KDays of which I was involved in #2-#6. It was BY FAR (I can't make that big enough) my favorite weekend of the year. I looked forward to that weekend more than Christmas and my birthday combined. I miss it terribly every June. It was a three day event where day 1 was a meet, day 2 was a GREAT drive through the mountains from Sacramento to Reno and party at the Grand Sierra Resort and day three was a drive back to Sacramento through the mountains.

Leave a comment:

• speedracer
    replied
    Originally posted by jukngene View Post
    Just visited a jeweler who replaced the battery, and refused to accept any money for it! That sure doesn't happen very much.
    Here it is, ticking away:

Clock.jpg
    tick tick tick tick.

Thanks for taking care of it.

Leave a comment:

• R.Murphy
    replied
    Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
    S2KDays Lake Tahoe?
    Maybe. Anything is possible. But possible ≠ likely. Tahoe can be pretty overrun with tourists and that can make for some less than favorable driving conditions. And they do a lot of pavement repair work during the good weather season which makes the area even more of a hassle from fresh tar/slurry, gravel, and just plain stop and go (or stop and stop).

I'm open to suggestions, of course. The only worry I have is that it would appear that everywhere I like for drives tends to have a freaking wildfire or a mudslide shortly after I go scout it and post that I'm seriously interested in putting together a drive there.

, right? Jinx or something.

So I dunno. Besides, wasn't Tahoe (or Reno?) done and then done again a bit back in the day? Before my time, but I seem to have heard a bunch about that area and it being a point of contention... something about a Sac2KDays or something. And yeah, soooooo not wanting to dredge up whatever that was. I had a hard enough time trying to explain to people that S2KDays SoCal was not another HondaHomecoming parking lot meet, NOT another "megameet" (whatever that was), and not the giant Huntington Beach cruise-in ClusterFack that resulted in multiple S2000s driving into each other in 5mph traffic because they weren't paying attention to the actual driving. So I kind of want to avoid places that have been "done" before. That could be challenging.

Leave a comment:

• Rocketman
    replied

S2KDays - Return to Zion. (sans Cyrus; though he be Great, he had but only one Cylinder, and we require four)

S2KDays Lake Tahoe?

Leave a comment:

• kgf3076
    replied
    Just visited a jeweler who replaced the battery, and refused to accept any money for it! That sure doesn't happen very much.

Clock.jpg
    Well done. Now see if you can talk that jeweler into a Rolex to give away at S2KDays Gettysburg.

Leave a comment:

• R.Murphy
    replied
    Originally posted by pezjunki View Post
    The reminder every time I went to the mancave for a beer was a little disconcerting, I agree with speedracer.
    Actually, it looked very at home on Jason's shelf. So much so that when I see that shelf now, it looks rather empty, and I am cognizant of the device's absence.

And I know it will never come to SoCal again.

Unless I do something crazy like get involved in planning an S2KDays that is located outside of SoCal.

And ya know... that could happen. It could totally happen. I ain't dead yet, so anything is possible.

S2KDays - Return to Zion. (sans Cyrus; though he be Great, he had but only one Cylinder, and we require four)

Leave a comment:

• R.Murphy
    replied
    Nicely done, Gene! And while it looks very handsome on your shelf there, I think you deserve significantly MORE than just an honorary title for the role if you end up being custodian of the clock.

You, sir, are a good man!

Leave a comment:

• jukngene
    replied

Clock.jpg

Leave a comment:

• kgf3076
    replied
    Which reminds me, I need to get the battery replaced. I will make a note to do that tomorrow!
    Good! You're now officially the keeper of the clock and an honorary member of the S2KDays Gettysburg planning group. You'll get your membership card and official hanky any day now.

Leave a comment:

• pezjunki
    replied
    The clock was actually broken when I received it.. As an engineer, I would not let that stand! Glad to hear it was still ticking. The reminder every time I went to the mancave for a beer was a little disconcerting, I agree with speedracer.

Leave a comment:

• R.Murphy
    replied
    And no, we do NOT need any more membership type badges. Those already take up way too much of the vertical space as it is. If you have more than one, they scroll on forever and turn the page into this long, drawn out thing. If anything, we need more streamlined badges.

Leave a comment:

• R.Murphy
    replied
    Originally posted by speedracer View Post
    I think we need a new badge for the club membership. I have had the clock with a picture of the clock.
    I suppose you could ask Jason to create a signature line graphic.

Leave a comment:

• speedracer
    replied
    I think we need a new badge for the club membership. I have had the clock with a picture of the clock.

Leave a comment:

• R.Murphy
    replied
    Tick Tick Tick!

Leave a comment:

• jukngene
    replied

Yes, I feel really bad that we turned it over with a depleted battery to the next organizers. Really, we should have made sure it was fully functional and ticking away with gusto like it was when you gave it to us!
    Which reminds me, I need to get the battery replaced. I will make a note to do that tomorrow!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X