Just checking in

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just checking in

1. For the 3-5 people who might be interested in what's going on with me, I thought I'd write a few l lines.
    2. The '04 is still sparkling (after I get it back from Ziebart and get the clay barring and Diamond Gloss finish and rust protection annual treatments done.
    3. It has 84k miles on it now (bought with 8725 miles April of 2010).

4. My son has over 100k miles on his yellow one (he's been married over a year now, finally: he is 33 now).

5. Daniel is on his 2nd house already and just got a great promotion (& $$) at his job and all you with grown kids know how their success is "your" success.
    6. With my '04 last year, the driveshaft went bad (started leaking) and Honda wanted $1700, plus labor, and wait 7weeks to get one shipped in from Japan, but I found a place that remanufactures them for $300: paid $100 labor to a shop to do the labor, and replaced an universal joint a year later.
    7. Still using Amsoil for all the fluids.
    8. I had a total right hip replacement last June 12th, so you can imagine how my summer went. After the depression of the 1st week, and you never think you'll dress yourself again, I got better daily, and was driving the Corolla after 9 days (wife mad b/c Dr. said 4-6 weeks, but I had a friend do so after 4 days), and could get in and out of the S2000 in another week: freedom!
    9. We sold the '05 Corolla (133,000 miles) b/c we had been talking about getting a small SUV for years, and we could see the Corolla was never going to die. I thought about keeping it for a winter-beater and putting the S2 in the garage like a normal person, but the wife said no (no place to park it except the street). I sold it to an older guy in my Gun Club who's wife needed it for her teaching job: $3750. They were so happy to get it with my stellar maintenance and records. I had bought a case of 9mm ammo and a most accurate Browning Buckmark .22LR target pistol from him last summer.
    10. I let the wife be totally in charge of what to buy: total veto power. She really enjoyed it b/c she knew I really meant it. I wanted the Toyota Rav 4 (real tranny, not these CVTs), she wanted the Honda CR-V, but I have always been interested in the Subaru Forester. She vetoed the Rav 4, loved the CR-V. I knew I wanted the Subaru even before I got out of the parking lot with it and my wife was open but not sold on the concept.
    11. She ended up agreeing with me about the Subaru, and I was going to buy her a new one, but she found a 2015 with 55K miles that was Certified, 1-owner, maintained perfectly for $17,000 and she bought it: we both love it, and after 4 decades of Corollas and mostly red for the past 3 decades, it is a pleasant metallic green.
    12. We are almost 10 months into our new "downsized" house and loving it.
    13. At my new church, The Creek, I have been teaching a Sunday am Bible Class on the book of Acts, after a staff member went on to another job after 25 yrs, so I feel very fortunate since I thought at a larger church I'd never teach again (I was subbing for him when he was gone before he moved).
    14. In the INGO gun club I'm very active in with daily (or more) postings (like I used to do here) I'll leave you with 3 targets for those that enjoy such things.
    15. I would like to thank all for the happy years I had posting here and the relationships that were enriching.
    16. I have wanted to come to the Brown County Drive or the Tomcatt in Marietta for the past 2 years, or the Tech/Maintenance Day, but I have not been free.
    17. I would love to do the Brown County Drive that will be coming up, please shoot me an email when it is scheduled (Oct. I think).

Thanks for the update Gary! Sounds like you've had a busy year with lots of new stuff coming your way. Hope to see you on here more often.

"It's rocket science but it's well understood rocket science." - Naveen Jain

sigpic
    2005 S2000 Silverstone Metallic - Fujita F5, ACT HDSS clutch, Work Emotion XD-9, Cobalt XR3 brake pads, Russell SS brake lines,
    Mugen reservoir socks, Modifry glove box organizer, factory headrest speakers, factory Ti shift knob, S2KCA logo throughout

Comment

Hope to see you at the 2019 Tomcatt, Gary. I'm working on making it a bit more organized so people will know what' going on. Great to hear that you're doing well (and I do follow you on Facebook when you post). Don't be such a total stranger.
      THIS SPACE FOR RENT - Picture your ad HERE!
      Events and Track Days
      Forum Users may post an event which is of interest to S2KCA members, so long as the host entity is a non-profit organization or not-for-profit group. Club Members may post a for-profit event which is in the interest of S2KCA members.

Comment

Great to hear from ya, Gary...!!!! Well....the season ain’t over yet..
        I’ll keep ya posted on anything local...& the Brown County Drive...
        MY'03....Silverstone / Red Loaded with "Whistles, Bells & Toys"....

Life's journey is not to arrive @ the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to "skid" in sideways, totally worn out, shouting"...holy sh*t...what a ride!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
          Thanks for the update Gary! Sounds like you've had a busy year with lots of new stuff coming your way. Hope to see you on here more often.
          1. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by kgf3076 View Post
            Hope to see you at the 2019 Tomcatt, Gary. I'm working on making it a bit more organized so people will know what' going on. Great to hear that you're doing well (and I do follow you on Facebook when you post). Don't be such a total stranger.
            1. I don't do much Facebook either, other than to answer some friend's posts.
            2. Being the 110% "all in" person that I am, I have poured my energies into INGO where I have pages of threads that I've started and 1000s of posts.
            3. I'll be involved in everything from going over to a member's house on a Sunday afternoon to shoot in his backyard, to meeting members at the range, to getting training handgun safety or proper CC and the like.
            4. As far as forums go, you don't get so many "younglings" being critical like on a car site, where they think they know everything. On INGO the older heads rule.
            5. I learned much about communicating online through S2KCA.
            5. As in any online Club, you have avid members who their whole life is just the site and they take themselves way to seriously and are critical of everythingand I still bug people b/c I'm just having fun and enjoying myself but many find it refreshing and many of the mods tell me that they enjoy my approach and enthusiasm b/c it reminds them of when they were young.
            6. I'm old, but I sold everything nearly 35 yrs. ago and had to start over and this time I have the money to do what I couldn't even dream of when younger: fun!

7. The Tomcatt is of an interest b/c I get over to Marietta to visit family from time to time anyway (couldn't this summer b/c of surgery).
            8. The Brown County Drive is something I hope to do, if we are in the state b/c it is around our Fall Break.
            9. Good to hear from you! You made the club more enjoyable and put up with my idiosyncrasies.

Comment

Originally posted by Looter View Post
              Great to hear from ya, Gary...!!!! Well....the season ain’t over yet..
              I’ll keep ya posted on anything local...& the Brown County Drive...
              1. LOOTER! Such a pleasure! If you only knew what I have bought and sold you wouldn't believe it.
              2. I remember you encouraging me to get my LTCH years ago, and I never forgot.
              3. I moved beyond S/Ws, Rugers, Walthers, even Glocks, and am into CZ just this past summer: had a CZ SP-01 Tactical and a 75 B Omega Convertible, before I stepped up and bought a CZ Shadow 2, all of which were heavy all-metal guns that I liked for the range, going from 36 to 40 to 46 oz.

4. Back to S2KCA, make sure you let me know of the Brown County Drive. Last year I was too busy getting the house ready to sell or even out of town, not even remember.
              5. Now that it is later than it used to be (as my wife reminded me) it runs into my Fall Break which means we could be traveling, making up to Carol for her having to play nurse to me some of the last summer.
              6. Thanks for giving me a "shout."

Comment

The Subaru was a good choice. We have an Impreza and love it . Glad to hear from you .
                2000 NFR - Tein in car adjustable coilovers, 2.2 liter bottom end, Hardtop, K-Pro Custom Roll Bar,
                Custom Brake Vents, Custom Mod to Stock Seat, Backyard Special Low Mount Seat
                Rail from Bulletproof Automotive Koyo Radiator, Oil Cooler

Comment

Good to hear from you and that things are going good. Nice groups
                  Coop
                  Life Member 57
                  KE0BND
                  What other people think of me, is none of my business
                  It's Five O' Clock Somewhere

Become an S2KCA member, tell them Coop sent you

Comment

We're happy with the Subaru Outback in our fleet. She had a 2011 model before it was totaled with a broadside to the passenger front fender. Luckily she wasn't hurt badly. She replaced it with a a 2017 model that we found with just under 5,000 miles on it.

Comment

It has been a long time since I checked this forum and I saw this thread and thought I'd add to it.
                      I had to change my password: forgot my old one!
                      I saw the Cinci Tech Day on Facebook and was invited even though I haven't been around, and I plan to go.
                      I told Greg & Denny, the last time I was there (2-3 yrs. ago) it nearly killed me being on the cold concrete floors last time and I can't do it anymore (arthritis).
                      They admonished me to come anyway, and said I'd still be welcome, which I was moved by their friendship.
                      I might be able to handle changing the engine oil, but not the tranny and diff (using my Amsoil!!!).

Love to go to the Tomcatt Run, but I have a work conflict, perhaps the Brown County Drive in the Fall, of which I have had scheduling conflicts in the past, also.

I am retiring unexpectedly. Planned to teach till 70, but at 66 something happened in my mind in the Fall and I just didn't want to be at school anymore (turned 66 in December).
                      Don't know how my health is going to hold up, but want to have some time before it goes. I have another hip surgery to do and it's going to be very problematic b/c of life-long issues in that leg.
                      9 weeks left of school: yes, I'm counting.

The 04 just turned over 90k miles (bought in April 2010 with 8745 miles).
                      I have some vibration in the rear on hard acceleration, and suspect it might be the "cup" in the transaxle (if that is the correct terminology).
                      Could be the driveshaft: I replaced it once, and thought it improved the vibration.

Still very active and enjoying my new Church of 2 yrs.
                      Still buying, shooting and selling in my gun club.
                      Going to start doing some Steel Matches after retirement, and hilariously enough: bowling pin shooting.

We both just love our Cadillac, I mean Subaru Forester, but after decades of Corolla, it seems like a Caddy to us!

Comment

Who are you again? Oh yeah, I remember now....Glad to see you here again Gary.
                        Events and Track Days
                        Forum Users may post an event which is of interest to S2KCA members, so long as the host entity is a non-profit organization or not-for-profit group. Club Members may post a for-profit event which is in the interest of S2KCA members.

Comment

Who are you again? Oh yeah, I remember now....Glad to see you here again Gary.
                          You always bring a smile, Ken!

I read all about the Gettysburg outing.
                          Sounds wonderful for an old Social Studies teacher.
                          I wouldn't be able to handle much of the standing/walking that would be involved in the "stopovers," though.
                          Maybe if a carried around a folding chair like people use at a picnic/beach. I could sit in it, and use it as a cane when walking.

Comment

Welcome back Gary! I've been on and off the site and mainly concentrating on local happenings but I saw your "bubble" head Avatar and couldn't resist saying howdy. I've got some hip problems myself and other health issues but I'm mid seventies now and still kicking so I can't complain. Life... beats the alternative!
                            Wow, never knew about the Chicxulub cataclysm 35 years ago, feel free not to talk about it if it still hurts, but wow!
                            On a lighter note QUIT WORKING (why 9 weeks?). I don't regret any of the days I've been retired NONE. (Do not tempt fate and put it off... this is Uncle Stuka talking)
                            Travel, go camping, go to the beach (or whatever Cincy calls a beach), go out star gazing or just lay around the backyard and barbecue. LIVE!
                            All kidding aside, I'm glad you've made the big decision.
                            Last edited by Stuka; 04-16-2019, 07:10 PM.
                            2000 AP1 mods: Kraftwerks high boost supercharger kit, Proflow Design throttle body, AP2 transmission, Stage 2 Competition Clutch, KW Variant 3 coilovers, RM strut tower brace, MG Racing X brace, AP2 V1 wheels, AP2 rear wing, Moddiction heat shield, Hella horns, Custom fab cold air box, Ceramic coated exhaust manifold, Fujitsubo Legalis R dual exhaust, custom front splitter, and custom vented OEM hood.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuka View Post
                              Welcome back Gary! I've been on and off the site and mainly concentrating on local happenings but I saw your "bubble" head Avatar and couldn't resist saying howdy. I've got some hip problems myself and other health issues but I'm mid seventies now and still kicking so I can't complain. Life... beats the alternative!
                              Wow, never knew about the Chicxulub cataclysm 35 years ago, feel free not to talk about it if it still hurts, but wow!
                              On a lighter note QUIT WORKING (why 9 weeks?). I don't regret any of the days I've been retired NONE. (Do not tempt fate and put it off... this is Uncle Stuka talking)
                              Travel, go camping, go to the beach (or whatever Cincy calls a beach), go out star gazing or just lay around the backyard and barbecue. LIVE!
                              All kidding aside, I'm glad you've made the big decision.

STUKA!!! I certainly remember your name. You were always such a pleasure! Sounds like I'm a "pup" since I'm about 10 yrs. younger!
                              You sound like my best friend since 17 yrs. old: he's been after me to retire since I was 62.
                              I kept telling him my medical bills were over $1000/mo., and I had good insurance, but I needed to wait till Medicare kicked in, at least.
                              I believe you have to finish well, so I will not be tempted to tell them to take this job and shove it.
                              Do I think about calling in "sick" nearly everyday: yes (I have about 150 sick days saved up).
                              I live in Indy and not Cinci, but I get your point!
                              The disparity between what I make monthly now and what I'll make in retirement is 21% less, so that will keep me from too much indulgence.
                              So good to hear from you Stuka!

Comment

Likewise old friend!
                                I don't know why I always get Cincinnati and Indy mixed up, perhaps because their so close to each other, but yeah. Your best friend is right, too many people are afraid to retire. (Must be planning to live to 100, or even more foolish leave it to their kids who won't appreciate it.) A thrifty old coot like you must have tons of money secreted away, remember "you can't take it with you". "Finish well", there is only one person who should have a smile on their face when you retire (guess who?) 150 sick days, (disgusting) I'm embarrassed for you! If you must work 9 more weeks tell me they're going to pay you for those sick days.
                                2000 AP1 mods: Kraftwerks high boost supercharger kit, Proflow Design throttle body, AP2 transmission, Stage 2 Competition Clutch, KW Variant 3 coilovers, RM strut tower brace, MG Racing X brace, AP2 V1 wheels, AP2 rear wing, Moddiction heat shield, Hella horns, Custom fab cold air box, Ceramic coated exhaust manifold, Fujitsubo Legalis R dual exhaust, custom front splitter, and custom vented OEM hood.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuka View Post
                                  Likewise old friend!
                                  I don't know why I always get Cincinnati and Indy mixed up, perhaps because they're so close to each other, but yeah. Your best friend is right, too many people are afraid to retire. (Must be planning to live to 100, or even more foolish leave it to their kids who won't appreciate it.) A thrifty old coot like you must have tons of money secreted away, remember "you can't take it with you". "Finish well", there is only one person who should have a smile on their face when you retire (guess who?) 150 sick days, (disgusting) I'm embarrassed for you! If you must work 9 more weeks tell me they're going to pay you for those sick days.
                                  Yes, at $35 per day. I had hoped to have 200 days but my health has taken a hit in the past few years and I had to break down and use some.
                                  I do have some secreted away: a little pile here, a little pile there, and a bit in my teacher annuity, but alas, when you are paid by local tax dollars: riches do not await teachers.
                                  I'll always eat, but the extras will take a hit, but that is life.

Comment

Originally posted by doddg View Post

You always bring a smile, Ken!

I read all about the Gettysburg outing.
                                    Sounds wonderful for an old Social Studies teacher.
                                    I wouldn't be able to handle much of the standing/walking that would be involved in the "stopovers," though.
                                    Maybe if a carried around a folding chair like people use at a picnic/beach. I could sit in it, and use it as a cane when walking.
                                    1. It's going to be educational (Shhhh! Don't tell anyone, it's going to be subtle)
                                    2. The biggest walking will be in the Ghost Tour and Looters guided tours to the battles.
                                    3. Feel free to bring that folding event chair.
                                    Events and Track Days

Comment

1. It's going to be educational (Shhhh! Don't tell anyone, it's going to be subtle)
                                      2. The biggest walking will be in the Ghost Tour and Looters guided tours to the battles.
                                      3. Feel free to bring that folding event chair.

I went for a walk with the wife couple of weeks ago and after 3 minutes I was having to pause/stop, and at 6 minutes I had to turn around and head home, and it took me 9 minutes to get home instead of 6 minutes: not a good omen for guided walking tours.

Just last summer after my right hip replacement I remember walking 17 minutes after rehab was done.
                                      It's one of the reasons I decided to retire, so I could use whatever time of mobility I had left for mobility , instead of sitting in a classroom.
                                      I can replace the hips that have been eaten up from arthritis, but the back and neck are here to stay.
                                      Well, at least when I had my health, I used it heartily: no regrets.
                                      Now I ride a special bicycle I bought (a step-through) for old people that can't lift their legs up over the bar. The bar is made only 6 inches off the ground.
                                      This is why I started using large CC scooters (250cc/400cc/650cc) instead of motorcycles even 20 yrs. ago b/c I couldn't even ride a MC with my legs apart (arthritis).
                                      It took me years to figure out what the heck the pain was all about (denial),

Comment

Originally posted by doddg View Post

I went for a walk with the wife couple of weeks ago and after 3 minutes I was having to pause/stop, and at 6 minutes I had to turn around and head home, and it took me 9 minutes to get home instead of 6 minutes: not a good omen for guided walking tours.

Just last summer after my right hip replacement I remember walking 17 minutes after rehab was done.
                                        It's one of the reasons I decided to retire, so I could use whatever time of mobility I had left for mobility , instead of sitting in a classroom.
                                        I can replace the hips that have been eaten up from arthritis, but the back and neck are here to stay.
                                        Well, at least when I had my health, I used it heartily: no regrets.
                                        Now I ride a special bicycle I bought (a step-through) for old people that can't lift their legs up over the bar. The bar is made only 6 inches off the ground.
                                        This is why I started using large CC scooters (250cc/400cc/650cc) instead of motorcycles even 20 yrs. ago b/c I couldn't even ride a MC with my legs apart (arthritis).
                                        It took me years to figure out what the heck the pain was all about (denial),
                                        I'm really sorry to hear this, you've been such a spry old dude whenever we've managed to get together. You still owe me a drink and I plan on getting it soon. Don't make me stop this car young man and just wait until your Dad gets home. You're gonna catch it then, buster!
                                        Events and Track Days

Comment

Working...
                                        X