No announcement yet.

Just checking in

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm no doctor but how the heck are you going to work if that much exertion causes you pain? Better yet why?
    What do the doctors say "live with it"? I can't believe that rest and therapy and good drugs can't improve your circumstances.
    Time to start putting your self first Gary! (Do it for her)
    2000 AP1 mods: Kraftwerks high boost supercharger kit, Proflow Design throttle body, AP2 transmission, Stage 2 Competition Clutch, KW Variant 3 coilovers, RM strut tower brace, MG Racing X brace, AP2 V1 wheels, AP2 rear wing, Moddiction heat shield, Hella horns, Custom fab cold air box, Ceramic coated exhaust manifold, Fujitsubo Legalis R dual exhaust, custom front splitter, and custom vented OEM hood.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuka View Post
      On one hand, I agree with you. But on the other hand, everybody is different and everyone has to address their own lives in how they feel they best can. Of course it's natural to be concerned and to express it, but his path is his path.

"Not all those who wander are lost." -Tolkien
      -Roseanne

"Wait... r.murphy isn't a dude?"
      California Dreamin'

​May is Mental Health Awareness Month.

Support and spread awareness. https://www.mentalhealthamerica.net

Comment

I'm no doctor but how the heck are you going to work if that much exertion causes you pain? Better yet why?
        What do the doctors say "live with it"? I can't believe that rest and therapy and good drugs can't improve your circumstances.

At school I'm mostly sitting at a desk so the arthritis doesn't slow me down.
        My students are all working on cmps doing work. I go over to them when they need help.
        When the Principal wanted teachers to be up around the room more (staring at them working on the cmps I suppose ), I bought a stool and put it in the middle of the room b/c there was no way I could stand all day.
        When I go into a store I just always take a cart to lean on, keeps the back from aching.
        I am "spry" as long as I don't have to walk more than a few minutes or just stand.
        I actually can mow grass for 20 minutes w/o issue b/c I'm not just standing and holding on the the mower and that takes the pressure of my lower back.

I used to be dragging my right leg b/c of the pain, but I got the right hip replacement and no issue with pain now.
        Left leg is only hinting of pain at this point: it will come, just like the surgeon said he'd see me in 2 yrs. when I didn't want to schedule the surgery, and he was correct down to the month when pain drove me to say it was time. Therefore, last summer's fun.

I get plenty of rest.
        I need to get more exercise/stretching b/c I've become lazy.
        I bought a John Deere tractor before I moved b/c I just couldn't mow my 2 hour (by hand) property anymore.
        I thought that having the Deere would take all the problems away of mowing (it was fun like a go kart), but at the end of 30 minutes I could barely crawl off the tractor and get into the house.
        First time I used the mower I was really hacked, but the fun of driving to mow was worth it.
        Most people would not know I have an issue unless I was trying to be up on my feet.

Comment

Damn! I admire your'e work-arounds and spirit but you gotta stop doing the things that aggravate your condition (John Deere, hell, might just as well been go carts). I wish I had some sage advice I could give you but the doctors know best and I hope you have a good one. Do what the doc says, don't be afraid of taking drugs and try to stay as active as you can. Going into class may not be the best thing to do but it does keep you active and that's key. Find a hobby that keeps you moving without breaking your back, preferably outdoors if you can. Gardening?
          (I guess tennis is out!)
          I imagine if I'm ever gonna meet your lame ass I'm gonna have to get to Indy somehow...(not the most impossible thing, (my son has moved to Cleveland, at least temporarily) and if he stays there for any length of time the boss will no doubt have us visiting).
          Keep moving buddy!
          2000 AP1 mods: Kraftwerks high boost supercharger kit, Proflow Design throttle body, AP2 transmission, Stage 2 Competition Clutch, KW Variant 3 coilovers, RM strut tower brace, MG Racing X brace, AP2 V1 wheels, AP2 rear wing, Moddiction heat shield, Hella horns, Custom fab cold air box, Ceramic coated exhaust manifold, Fujitsubo Legalis R dual exhaust, custom front splitter, and custom vented OEM hood.

Comment

Damn! I admire your'e work-arounds and spirit but you gotta stop doing the things that aggravate your condition (John Deere, hell, might just as well been go carts). I wish I had some sage advice I could give you but the doctors know best and I hope you have a good one. Do what the doc says, don't be afraid of taking drugs and try to stay as active as you can. Going into class may not be the best thing to do but it does keep you active and that's key. Find a hobby that keeps you moving without breaking your back, preferably outdoors if you can. Gardening?
            (I guess tennis is out!)
            I imagine if I'm ever gonna meet your lame ass I'm gonna have to get to Indy somehow...(not the most impossible thing, (my son has moved to Cleveland, at least temporarily) and if he stays there for any length of time the boss will no doubt have us visiting).
            Keep moving buddy!

I have driven to Cleveland before (hardtopguy lives there), and would do it again especially when retired.
            I always thought in the summer or when retired I'd go and visit repiv up near or around Canada, if I remember.
            I used to drive him nuts with my questions: poor guy.
            Anyone heard from him and how he's doing?

I do have a hobby that has consumed me the past 2 years: going to the range and shooting.
            I research, buy, shoot, sell "a few" handguns and enjoy it immensely.
            It's just for fun, you are not allowed to sell and make a profit, must have an FFL.
            My wife knows that the expense is range fees and ammo, then there is the belts, holsters and etc.
            I used to do that as a youngling in my 20s for a couple of decades but walked away from it b/c of other hobbies, and am now revisiting it.

I truly appreciate what you said about visiting someday: makes me feel like I have a friend out there somewhere.
            There were so many wonderful people I remember, then there were the ones that were always "snarky," but I teach teens, so I know some experts.

Comment

Let's see how things go. My wife hasn't retired yet but believe me I'm pushing her to do it...this year for sure.
              Repiv's fine I saw him at S2K days, he's doing well.
              Snarky kid's in the club...hell, it's a website. Shouldn't be a surprise. All in all a pretty mature group otherwise, and some very mature nice individuals in all. I can't say enough about our local group here in NorCal, and the one's I've met from SoCal as well, a good group all told and I'm proud to call them friends.

Comment

Hey, Stuka, I want to clarify something.
                You said earlier, "I'm no doctor but how the heck are you going to work if that much exertion causes you pain?"
                I forgot to address that so you wouldn't feel sorry for me.

Since I got the right hip replaced: no pain, and the left hip only has hints of pain so far.
                The walking or standing issues causes a "tightness," like two fists in the lower back when standing or walking much: but that's a far cry from pain.
                If I had to remain standing, maybe it would turn into pain: I don't.
                When walking, it simply slows me down, like I have weights tied to the muscles in my back, but no pain.
                When I got ready to walk out the door for work this am: tightness in the lower back, but I get to sit and drive for 20 minutes.
                Last night in the garage getting my fluids ready for the Cinci Tech Day: tightness, but I go inside and drink a beer and get on the cmp for my INGO gun club.
                No pain. When I start having pain in the left hip: it will drive me to get the replacement done like it did in the right hip.
                I do want to get through this summer, however, since I was cheated out of last summer.
                I'd rather get it done during the winter for obvious reasons.
                Arthritis can get alot worse; I'm hoping that it doesn't hit my hands, or driving and shooting will be gone, and that provides me solace.

Comment

Firstly...I don't feel sorry for you, I feel sorry for your long suffering wife! (Glad that's cleared up)
                  Seriously, I'm glad you aren't as bad off as it sounded but that (as we all know) is always in flux and another "PITA'" is always right around the corner ready to pile on. My point being is you have done your duty to the next generation (and then some) and it's time to start thinking about yourself (and wife) because all these warning signs are hints of things to come.
                  You are going to want to travel, it's inevitable. Paris is great this time of year (April in Paris is not just a song) but so are a whole lot of other little towns in France, Ireland is beautiful and friendly and verdant green everywhere. Heck Vancouver Island is beautiful. These places can give you a refreshed love of life and bring tears to your eyes. Spend some of that money and make some memories, you can't take it with you Mr. McDuck.
                  To quote another old song "enjoy yourself, it's later than you think"

Comment

Stuka, you have always made me laugh: you are a riot!
                    Everyone that know us, feels sorry for my wife, but she just keeps smiling through the decades!
                    I am only retiring now instead of when I planned in 4 more years b/c of these "warning signs."
                    I have been talking about some traveling.
                    B/C of working all through the summers all my life except for the past 3-4 yrs. I do feel a need/want to go here and there.
                    My wife has a penchant for Italy and only Italy, whereas I would like to visit a few places.
                    But, I am more interested in traveling in the US.

Comment

We haven't done Italy, but it's on my bucket list. The whole west coast from Salerno to Naples is beautiful. As far as coasts go we've got a beautiful one out here and it's lovely all the way up to Portland and Vancouver. There's beauty anywhere but some places just knock you out. I've listed a few but they mean you have to get off your butt and go and you can't do that if your slaving 9 to 5 or whatever hours teachers put in. Talking about traveling is nice but pointless, you gotta get off your butt and do it!

Comment

Snarky checking in! Hi Gary. So sorry to hear about all the health issues, but I'm going to have to agree with Mr. Stuka. Use it or lose it, my friend! And either stop being such a cheap arse or find a new doctor. There is no reason to put you and the missus under such a burden if you can fix it. My brother-in-law has serious heart problems including two bypasses, numerous "roto-rooter" sessions, and a pacemaker. He is in such bad shape, the doctors simply can't do any more surgery. You, on the other hand, can correct most of your arthritis issues if you'd just suck it up and take the financial hit. It's worth it in the long run, because you're increasing the length of your investment dividend so you get a better return.

"It's rocket science but it's well understood rocket science." - Naveen Jain

sigpic
                        2005 S2000 Silverstone Metallic - Fujita F5, ACT HDSS clutch, Work Emotion XD-9, Cobalt XR3 brake pads, Russell SS brake lines,
                        Mugen reservoir socks, Modifry glove box organizer, factory headrest speakers, factory Ti shift knob, S2KCA logo throughout

Comment

Working...
                        X