New BMW Supra is here

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R.Murphy View Post

But then I have to buy extra insurance to cover the car's inevitable need to mow down crowds of people!
    I was referring to the turbo 4, not the V8 crowd killer. Still plenty of scoot and a bargain in the low thirties nicely appointed.
    Coop, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" the styling of the Mustang is somewhat polarizing, agreed... but surprisingly it grows on you. Especially from the driver seat.
    My son bought a '15 and I think he got a heck of a deal on a low mileage turbo 4 with all the frills.
    2000 AP1 mods: Kraftwerks high boost supercharger kit, Proflow Design throttle body, AP2 transmission, Stage 2 Competition Clutch, KW Variant 3 coilovers, RM strut tower brace, MG Racing X brace, AP2 V1 wheels, AP2 rear wing, Moddiction heat shield, Hella horns, Custom fab cold air box, Ceramic coated exhaust manifold, Fujitsubo Legalis R dual exhaust, custom front splitter, and custom vented OEM hood.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuka View Post
      I was referring to the turbo 4, not the V8 crowd killer.
      I dunno man. I still would be suspicious of it. Runs in the family, ya know?

Originally posted by Stuka View Post
      Coop, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" the styling of the Mustang is somewhat polarizing, agreed...
      Difficult to be certain, but I got the impression the compact comment from Coop was referring to the Supra. But yeah, a lot of cars have been discussed in the thread so maybe he meant the Mustang.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
      -Roseanne

"Wait... r.murphy isn't a dude?"
      California Dreamin'

"People can say crap. They can think whatever they want, but you control how you feel about it."

"When Ginsburg heard that this man had reported that her nickname at Harvard was 'bitch,' Ginsburg looked up and said, 'better bitch than mouse.'"

Comment

Yeah, your probably right, in that case you're in the majority Coop. The Autoweek site has readers saying "ugly", "hideous" along with the usual throng of "no manual, no thanks"!
        The most telling comments discuss alternatives:
        Sports Car - Boxter/Cayman much better styling, model choices, a "gold standard" car.
        Performance Car - Much better alternatives from Ford, Dodge and Chevy for the money.
        2000 AP1 mods: Kraftwerks high boost supercharger kit, Proflow Design throttle body, AP2 transmission, Stage 2 Competition Clutch, KW Variant 3 coilovers, RM strut tower brace, MG Racing X brace, AP2 V1 wheels, AP2 rear wing, Moddiction heat shield, Hella horns, Custom fab cold air box, Ceramic coated exhaust manifold, Fujitsubo Legalis R dual exhaust, custom front splitter, and custom vented OEM hood.

Comment

But as you say, John, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Or... there is an ass for every saddle. A foot for every shoe. A hand for every glove.
          -Roseanne

"Wait... r.murphy isn't a dude?"
          California Dreamin'

"People can say crap. They can think whatever they want, but you control how you feel about it."

"When Ginsburg heard that this man had reported that her nickname at Harvard was 'bitch,' Ginsburg looked up and said, 'better bitch than mouse.'"

Comment

But if the glove don’t fit...
            S2K Days Attendee: Belterra, IN - 07 | Lake George, NY - 08 | San Francisco, CA - 09 | Asheville, NC - 10 | Keystone, SD - 11 | Golden, CO - 12 | Atlanta, GA - 13 | Hood River, OR - 14 | Cumberland Falls, KY - 15 | Durango, CO - 16 | Fredericksburg, TX - 17 | SoCal, CA - 18

Where have you driven your S2000?

Comment

I withhold judgement until I see the Supra in person. I expect that Toyota and BMW will continue to develop the car and play to win market share. The FRS has been growing in popularity and this is probably the next step for fans of the FRS. At the track I see more and more FRS cars and less and less s2000s.
              2000 NFR - Tein in car adjustable coilovers, 2.2 liter bottom end, Hardtop, K-Pro Custom Roll Bar,
              Custom Brake Vents, Custom Mod to Stock Seat, Backyard Special Low Mount Seat
              Rail from Bulletproof Automotive Koyo Radiator, Oil Cooler

Comment

Originally posted by speedracer View Post
                I withhold judgement until I see the Supra in person. I expect that Toyota and BMW will continue to develop the car and play to win market share. The FRS has been growing in popularity and this is probably the next step for fans of the FRS. At the track I see more and more FRS cars and less and less s2000s.
                You don't suppose that's because the FRS is still in production maybe? There are only a finite number of S2ks that have been turned into track cars and as they go away, they will be rarely seen.

Everytime I see that fugly car in the first post, I think of BMW M3s. or whatever that thing was in the James Bond movie. Same droopy hood line, same silhouette.
                Upcoming events:

Spring Fling 2019 - May 31-June 2, 2019 - Shamokin Dam, PA - We're doing it again! Register Here!

Rock the Dragon 2019 - May 9-12, 2019.See you at the Dragon. Register HERE!

Tomcatt 14 - June 14-16, 2019. Marietta, OH - Rt 26! Rt 555, Some of the best roads in the US. Registration is FREE Register HERE!

Great people, great times, great car.
                2003 Suzuka Blue #302 "Grovette"
                2008 ABP CR #400 of 699 "Grover"

Never fight with an ugly person, they have nothing to lose!

Comment

Yes. I think that the FRS still in production is why I see more of them on the track.
                  2000 NFR - Tein in car adjustable coilovers, 2.2 liter bottom end, Hardtop, K-Pro Custom Roll Bar,

Comment

Originally posted by speedracer View Post
                    Yes. I think that the FRS still in production is why I see more of them on the track.
                    That means you have to take care of your red cars (I had a '04 NFR so I know how you feel).
                    Upcoming events:

Spring Fling 2019 - May 31-June 2, 2019 - Shamokin Dam, PA - We're doing it again! Register Here!

Rock the Dragon 2019 - May 9-12, 2019.See you at the Dragon. Register HERE!

Tomcatt 14 - June 14-16, 2019. Marietta, OH - Rt 26! Rt 555, Some of the best roads in the US. Registration is FREE Register HERE!

Great people, great times, great car.
                    2003 Suzuka Blue #302 "Grovette"
                    2008 ABP CR #400 of 699 "Grover"

Never fight with an ugly person, they have nothing to lose!

Comment

The last time I had the s2000 on the track for a weekend it cost about $8000 in repairs. currently I have taken the s2000 off of track duty and have switched to a Miata to save cash.

Comment

To me it looks like a frankenstein Z4. Not pleasant but that is just me. Now that Miata...not so bad!
                        David...aka 'Scooots'

'09 S2K Chicane Silver Metallic #41
                        '06 S2K Laguna Blue Pearl #952 - Gone
                        '08 Civic SI Nighthawk Black Pearl - Gone
                        '11 Ford Ranger Sport
                        '55 Vespa 'Fender Light'
                        '57 Allstate (Vespa) 'Handle Bar'
                        '58 AllState (Vespa) 'Large Body'

Comment

S2K Days Attendee: Belterra, IN - 07 | Lake George, NY - 08 | San Francisco, CA - 09 | Asheville, NC - 10 | Keystone, SD - 11 | Golden, CO - 12 | Atlanta, GA - 13 | Hood River, OR - 14 | Cumberland Falls, KY - 15 | Durango, CO - 16 | Fredericksburg, TX - 17 | SoCal, CA - 18

Where have you driven your S2000?

Comment

Yep, I saw that video yesterday. It seems like it was commissioned by Toyota to answer worries that the car has too much BMW content while stressing reliability. You think they are worried about perceptions of German reliability?

The back story of a "mysterious man" approaching Tatsuya Tada and the eventual collaboration between BMW and Toyota is great. The platform, drive train and suspension were jointly ironed out, then he starts talking about the BMW N55 inline 6 turbo which was not "inline with Toyota's reliability standards." The spin starts here.

"BMW was taken back by Toyota's focus on reliability and durability." Normal due diligence becomes a saintly quest to meet Toyota's reliability standards.

"While not being a BMW manufacturing facility, Magna Steyr was chosen to produce the car." To further justify the arms length relationship with BMW he includes Jaguar and Mercedes Benz as being satisfied clients.

The 8HP transmission, while praised as being very fast and reliable was quickly justified as being BMW, but "almost an industry standard." He goes on to list a slew of vehicles which use it - none of which were Japanese until now.

At this point the two companies split apart to continue separate development of the cars, as if that makes all the difference in it being a Toyota. From my view this new car is BMW from the engine block to the rear end. Everything that is important to me in the performance and reliability in a car is not strictly Toyota.

With that being said, I sincerely want the Supra to be every bit as great and reliable as the Toyota's that preceded it. I want it to be a phenomenal success.

I want to own one,

after a year or two.

Comment

That Supra has a face only a mother could love.

Comment

Cue "Motherly Love" by Frank Zappa...
                                (And I think the face looks better than the body!)

Comment

Not feeling it...Just a little to trendy and at 50K REALLY not feeling it...

Comment

Working...
                                  X