Screw History!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screw History!

Yes, here's a neat video on screw history, specifically Robertson vs Phillips heads. I'm curious to know if our Canadian brethren use Robertson screws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-mDqKtivuI

"It's rocket science but it's well understood rocket science." - Naveen Jain

sigpic
    2005 S2000 Silverstone Metallic - Fujita F5, ACT HDSS clutch, Work Emotion XD-9, Cobalt XR3 brake pads, Russell SS brake lines,
    Mugen reservoir socks, Modifry glove box organizer, factory headrest speakers, factory Ti shift knob, S2KCA logo throughout

Yep, I have several boxes of Robertson wood screws with metric thread.

Comment

Are the drivers still popular and available?

sigpic
      2005 S2000 Silverstone Metallic - Fujita F5, ACT HDSS clutch, Work Emotion XD-9, Cobalt XR3 brake pads, Russell SS brake lines,
      Mugen reservoir socks, Modifry glove box organizer, factory headrest speakers, factory Ti shift knob, S2KCA logo throughout

Comment

Yes (we use Robertsons screws) and Yes (the drivers are popular and easily available), in Canada.
        About the only difference I have noticed (between Phillips and Robertsons) is that its a bit easier to strip out the Phillips head.
        Jpn,Honda,Passenger,AP2,2dr convertible/6sp-manual,BaseModel,2007,Suzuka Plant,USA#699 - Laguna Blue Pearl

S2KDays Attended: Keystone SD 2011 | Golden CO 2012 | Hood River OR 2014 | Cumberland Falls KY 2015 | Durango CO 2016

Comment

Thanks guys. I never knew that.

sigpic

Comment

Interesting stuff.
            Happiness is a nice road, great weather, and driving the S with Sue in the seat next to me.

"Whatever you do, where ever you go, enjoy the drive."

I know for a FACT that the last year of production of the S2000 is 2003!!!!!
            After that, it will be the S2200 under an assumed name.

Comment

Originally posted by MoS2000 View Post
              About the only difference I have noticed (between Phillips and Robertsons) is that its a bit easier to strip out the Phillips head.
              Are you serious Mo? Strip out a square head? You are using an old driver man. That's why hardware stores sell packs of driver tips to the trades.

I used a set of old Phillips screwdrivers and always had stripping out problems till I switched to new ones. The same goes for Robertson. I threw out my 30yr old Craftsman set of Robertson drivers for new ones and the difference is great. The screws stay on the tip, sometimes even while pointing downward.

Well, I'm off to vote. . . . .

Comment

Torque screws and drivers all the way!
                This Too Shall Pass

If it has tires or testicles, it is going to give you trouble.

Comment

What a great thread!
                  Present:
                  '09 Fit Sport 5MT - Milano Red - Daily Driver
                  '08 CR-V EX-L with Navi - Royal Blue Pearl - Dog Hauler - Grocery Getter

Past:
                  '05 Rio Yellow Pear - Sold
                  '08 Laguna Blue Pearl - Sold
                  '02 Spa Yellow Pearl - Sold
                  '06 Laguna Blue Pearl - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by s2kbobby View Post

Are you serious Mo? Strip out a square head? You are using an old driver man. That's why hardware stores sell packs of driver tips to the trades.

I used a set of old Phillips screwdrivers and always had stripping out problems till I switched to new ones. The same goes for Robertson. I threw out my 30yr old Craftsman set of Robertson drivers for new ones and the difference is great. The screws stay on the tip, sometimes even while pointing downward.

Well, I'm off to vote. . . . .
                    Did I get it the wrong way round? The square head doesn't strip, and the other one does.......thats what I meant to say
                    Jpn,Honda,Passenger,AP2,2dr convertible/6sp-manual,BaseModel,2007,Suzuka Plant,USA#699 - Laguna Blue Pearl

S2KDays Attended: Keystone SD 2011 | Golden CO 2012 | Hood River OR 2014 | Cumberland Falls KY 2015 | Durango CO 2016

Comment

When I was working we loved the square head screw. Anytime we built a crate to send a machine to China we would use square head driver screws. For some reason they didn't have the drivers to back the screws out. Our crates were such that someone could use them as houses but they had to destroy the crate to get the machine out. :roflmao:
                      David...aka 'Scooots'

'09 S2K Chicane Silver Metallic #41
                      '06 S2K Laguna Blue Pearl #952 - Gone
                      '08 Civic SI Nighthawk Black Pearl - Gone
                      '11 Ford Ranger Sport
                      '55 Vespa 'Fender Light'
                      '57 Allstate (Vespa) 'Handle Bar'
                      '58 AllState (Vespa) 'Large Body'

Comment

The motor home and trailer industry really likes those square drive screws. The closer you get to northern Indiana the more of these screws and drivers you will find.

I prefer the torx head for building with wood screws.
                        "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits."

Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                        X