How Long Have You Owned Your S?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by speedracer View Post
    So far I am the longest continuous owner. I think Irish Rose may have purchased early also.
    We took delivery of our '00 Berlina Black S with 15 miles on the odometer on 24 February 2000. The remarkable thing is that we live in North Dakota and were able to drive it the 30 miles home safely, considering that she had S02 tires, which don't like cold weather. She has been ours ever since then and is sitting in the garage with 120,649 miles on her, most of them being from driving to and from S2KDays and other S2000 events. This year she is pretty much gathering dust instead of miles, thanks to COVID-19.
    S2KDays Attendee: Asheville, NC 2001 | Austin, TX 2003 | Breckenridge, CO 2004 | Las Vegas, NV 2005 | San Antonio, TX 2006 | Belterra, IN 2007 | Lake George, NY 2008 | San Francisco, CA 2009 | Asheville, NC 2010 | Keystone, SD 2011 | Golden, CO 2012 | Atlanta, GA 2013 | Hood River, OR 2014 | Cumberland Falls, KY 2015 | Durango, CO 2016 | Fredericksburg, TX 2017 | SoCal, CA 2018 | Gettysburg, PA 2019

Rose Mary
    Casselton, ND

Comment

The highlight of my day is knowing Irish rose took delivery a few months before I did . It is the shared joy of driving the s2000 all over the country for the last 20 years that has created so many great memories.
      2000 NFR - Tein in car adjustable coilovers, 2.2 liter bottom end, Hardtop, K-Pro Custom Roll Bar,
      Custom Brake Vents, Custom Mod to Stock Seat, Backyard Special Low Mount Seat
      Rail from Bulletproof Automotive Koyo Radiator, Oil Cooler

Comment

Many happy memories and miles, both with people and cars...this year is very much the exception.
        What a tragedy in so many ways! Here's hoping for a brighter future for us all.
        2000 AP1 mods: Kraftwerks high boost supercharger kit, Proflow Design throttle body, AP2 transmission, Stage 2 Competition Clutch, KW Variant 3 coilovers, RM strut tower brace, MG Racing X brace, AP2 V1 wheels, AP2 rear wing, Moddiction heat shield, Hella horns, Custom fab cold air box, Ceramic coated exhaust manifold, Fujitsubo Legalis R dual exhaust, custom front splitter, and custom vented OEM hood.

Comment

April 25, 2005. Bought with 24,000 miles on it.

02 Sebring Silver: Fujita F5 CAI, Modifry Dash Mounting Plate, XM Radio, Modifry Camera Mount, Keyhole Covers

Comment

Inherited my 01 Silverstone this year after my father passed away. He bought it new, and received it in October 2000 I believe. It’s in great shape, right at 30,000 miles.

He was MCLAUGHLINMJPA when he was a member here.

Comment

Originally posted by maine_man View Post
              Inherited my 01 Silverstone this year after my father passed away. He bought it new, and received it in October 2000 I believe. It’s in great shape, right at 30,000 miles.

Oh I love this. I love that tie to your dad. You know he is riding with you every time you drive it.
              This Too Shall Pass

If it has tires or testicles, it is going to give you trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by maine_man View Post

That is a wonderful memory for you to have of your father. I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of finding a URL for you so you can read any of his old posts that he made here. He had not posted in a very long time, but thankfully the preservation of accounts and information in this forum has always been a high priority, so what he did post is still here. If you click on the "show more" button when you get to the bottom of the page, you'll see it goes back to 2008 which appears to be his first post here. I didn't get to click through to all of the posts, but I'm sure if you follow some of them, you'll probably come across pictures of the events. Hopefully there will be some with him in them. There is a lot of history here.

https://www.s2kca.com/member/2984-mc..._time=time_all
                -Roseanne

S2KDays: 2019 Gettysburg || 2018 SoCal || 2017 Fredericksburg || 2016 Durango || 2014 Hood River

Miscellaneous Musings:
                The most important lessons you need to know about life can be learned from a Weeble.

Matthew 15:14

Comment

That was a very nice thing you did there, Roseanne!
                  2000 AP1 mods: Kraftwerks high boost supercharger kit, Proflow Design throttle body, AP2 transmission, Stage 2 Competition Clutch, KW Variant 3 coilovers, RM strut tower brace, MG Racing X brace, AP2 V1 wheels, AP2 rear wing, Moddiction heat shield, Hella horns, Custom fab cold air box, Ceramic coated exhaust manifold, Fujitsubo Legalis R dual exhaust, custom front splitter, and custom vented OEM hood.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuka View Post
                    That was a very nice thing you did there, Roseanne!
                    Thanks. I try. Sometimes, I succeed.

Several years ago, I got an urgent call from one of my clients --an ear, nose, and throat firm. One of their audiologist's PCs had suffered a catastrophic failure. It was bad. While most of their software could run on any PC in the office, there was this one hearing aid configuring device that used a communications port connector which was a bit out of date. It was a very expensive piece of audiology equipment though, so they had been putting off getting the newer version. Anyway, only one PC in the office had that connector-type still and it was this one which had failed. So I had to get the PC functioning. I took it back to my office to my workbench and I busted my butt getting that thing reconstructed overnight. I was pretty happy with the results because I knew I had pulled a rabbit out of a hat in the process. I mean, I was ecstatic. I brought the PC back to their office and hooked it all back up and was proudly telling the audiologist how I had managed it.

She was pleased. Until the screen came up to her desktop. Although all of the programs were there, the data was where it needed to be, it was communicating with the rest of the network flawlessly, and the critical piece of equipment attached to it was working, she looked unhappy. Eventually, she turned to me and said, "Were you able to retrieve the picture of my Dad that was my background file on my desktop?" And right there I realized that all the functionality in the world and all of the technical stuff and all the working programs did not matter in the face of having lost the picture of her Dad who had passed away only 6 months before. I hadn't considered the directory on the hard drive where her background picture was saved to be mission critical. And it wasn't... to the company or to anyone else. But it was to her and her memory of her Dad.

(MORAL OF THE STORY) So I learned two things that day: 1) never delete anything even if it has been untouched for years… you do not have a crystal ball and you can never say with complete certainty that what you are throwing away is worthless, and 2) never fv<k with people's pictures.
                    -Roseanne

S2KDays: 2019 Gettysburg || 2018 SoCal || 2017 Fredericksburg || 2016 Durango || 2014 Hood River

Miscellaneous Musings:
                    The most important lessons you need to know about life can be learned from a Weeble.

Comment

That is a touching story, yet had she requested that at the beginning of your work, she probably would still be smiling today. At least you would have tried, had you known about that request.

Comment

Originally posted by AZS2KDancer View Post
                        That is a touching story, yet had she requested that at the beginning of your work...
                        Yes, and no.

See, her primary jobs are to be an audiologist and a human. My primary jobs are to take care of their tech equipment and to be a human. It is not really required of her to think of all contingencies of the tech stuff. It is, however, my job to try to think of all of these things and barring that, ASK if there is anything the end user might have had that was not in keeping with the standard configuration which was special to her. She was in a tech crisis and couldn't be expected to think of all the little details. I, however, as the person with the ability to handle it, should have been in a better state of mind to consider all of these things.

The things which people find to be of value differ from person to person, and our collective job as humans is to not throw away that which others may value just because we ourselves see no value in it at the moment. I'm also learning more about this from a movement called the Buy Nothing Project. It focuses on giving, receiving, and gratitude. It's a very interesting mindset.

By the way, the audiologist did not fault me for not restoring that for her. She was just sad for the loss of it.

And we have kind of veered a little off topic here. So to address that slight detour:
                        I bought my car new in 2007. I have owned it ever since. I drive it like <insert your preferred deity here> intended, but I also care for it as well as possible. It's not my daily, so it doesn't get the wear and tear of grocery-getting or commuting. I don't want to be repetitive, so please refer to this recent similar thread for the entire story: https://www.s2kca.com/forum/public-f...02#post1673902

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_4724.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	3.85 MB
ID:	1674916

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_4725.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	1674917
                        -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

Comment

Originally posted by R.Murphy View Post

That is a wonderful memory for you to have of your father. I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of finding a URL for you so you can read any of his old posts that he made here. He had not posted in a very long time, but thankfully the preservation of accounts and information in this forum has always been a high priority, so what he did post is still here. If you click on the "show more" button when you get to the bottom of the page, you'll see it goes back to 2008 which appears to be his first post here. I didn't get to click through to all of the posts, but I'm sure if you follow some of them, you'll probably come across pictures of the events. Hopefully there will be some with him in them. There is a lot of history here.

https://www.s2kca.com/member/2984-mc..._time=time_all
                          Thanks for that. I hope to attend events in the future partly because I know how much he enjoyed them. The S2K community, both here and on S2KI, seems to be filled with wonderful people.

Comment

Working...
                          X