Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To (leave) Stock, or To Not (leave) Stock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To (leave) Stock, or To Not (leave) Stock?

I've been pondering a couple of small changes to my car over the last few months. Nothing big, just upgrading my stereo, things of this nature. When I bought my car from MNBob, he included all of the original parts (the original intake and radio) in the sale.

My question is this, with the sale prices of S2000's varying so widely in the last year or so, do you think leaving a car dead stock is something to be encouraged? If changing out the head unit and speakers, but keeping the originals be wise? In my 2008 I have seats with solid headrests . I have seen speaker set ups with speakers in the headrests. If I chose to proceed with something like this, are there things to avoid? I know seats are hard to replace. Are door panels a no no to cut in to?

Have any of you pondered doing anything to your S, and haven't because it would be detrimental to the re-sale, or the value of your car in the end? I have no intention right now, or any time in the near or non-near future to sell.
    This Too Shall Pass

If it has tires or testicles, it is going to give you trouble.

In one of my previous S I upgraded the speakers. I found that when I had the top down, which was most of the time, I could hear the music any better. As for any other updated, I never made any changes I couldn't change back to OEM.
    David...aka 'Scooots'

'09 S2K Chicane Silver Metallic #41
    '06 S2K Laguna Blue Pearl #952 - Gone
    '08 Civic SI Nighthawk Black Pearl - Gone
    '11 Ford Ranger Sport
    '55 Vespa 'Fender Light'
    '57 Allstate (Vespa) 'Handle Bar'
    '58 AllState (Vespa) 'Large Body'

Comment

You have to look hard on my car to find something that has not been modified. The general approach is to keep the stock parts and return it to stock before you sell it. Probably best not to cut up the interior but other than that mod away!
      2000 NFR - Tein in car adjustable coilovers, 2.2 liter bottom end, Hardtop, K-Pro Custom Roll Bar,
      Custom Brake Vents, Custom Mod to Stock Seat, Backyard Special Low Mount Seat
      Rail from Bulletproof Automotive Koyo Radiator, Oil Cooler

Comment

Lacachino, it's a fools game (IMHO) to continue living with flaws or thing you feel could be improved simply because of resale value at some unknown time in the future. If the act of making the changes really bothers you you can always retain the removed parts to include with the sale to give the buyer. I bought my car back when they came out and since then have made numerous changes because nothing is perfect and even if it was it might not be perfect for you. If you want better speakers so that you can enjoy your music more do it.
        I choose this example because it was the most blatant mistake made initially by Honda. The original stock speakers were bargain bin paper speakers with fake paper tweeters and simply awful. It has been postulated that they were cheap intentionally so that the sound system was purposely to take focus off it and onto the car. The horn was the next thing to go, another bargain basement part. Note that Honda go wise and in later models the quality of these parts increased substantially. Should you keep the cheap parts on and keep it "stock". Hell no! Make it your car!
        2000 AP1 mods: Kraftwerks high boost supercharger kit, Proflow Design throttle body, AP2 transmission, Stage 2 Competition Clutch, KW Variant 3 coilovers, RM strut tower brace, MG Racing X brace, AP2 V1 wheels, AP2 rear wing, Moddiction heat shield, Hella horns, Custom fab cold air box, Ceramic coated exhaust manifold, Fujitsubo Legalis R dual exhaust, custom front splitter, and custom vented OEM hood.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuka View Post
          Lacachino, it's a fools game (IMHO) to continue living with flaws or thing you feel could be improved simply because of resale value at some unknown time in the future. If the act of making the changes really bothers you you can always retain the removed parts to include with the sale to give the buyer. I bought my car back when they came out and since then have made numerous changes because nothing is perfect and even if it was it might not be perfect for you. If you want better speakers so that you can enjoy your music more do it.
          I choose this example because it was the most blatant mistake made initially by Honda. The original stock speakers were bargain bin paper speakers with fake paper tweeters and simply awful. It has been postulated that they were cheap intentionally so that the sound system was purposely to take focus off it and onto the car. The horn was the next thing to go, another bargain basement part. Note that Honda go wise and in later models the quality of these parts increased substantially. Should you keep the cheap parts on and keep it "stock". Hell no! Make it your car!
          Oh, agreed, fully. I tried to express that in my original post. One thing I am considering is that speaker technology has come so far, and that just upgrading the speakers that are already in place in the doors might do the trick. And you are not kidding about the horn. I've always considered getting something that sounds like an old Buick and slapping that in the car, because frankly, the S2000 sounds like the Roadrunner.

I'm not all about suffering with something just to preserve the value. I'm more looking for if someone has had an experience of, "Oh, I did this thinking it would make a huge difference, and it didn't". Such as, adding a bunch of speakers to the doors, perhaps the headrests, and it didn't help.

Thankfully I pretty much love how the car looks, so I don't want to go crazy and change anything there. I just remember hanging out with my brother and his '67 RS Camaro, and my friends and their classic cars, looking for unmolested door panels, or original dashboards.
          This Too Shall Pass

Comment

Most of the time, I enjoy the sound of the engine. On longer trips, as well as a rare time in town, my sound system puts out very good sound. I’m running a subwoofer in the passenger footwell cavity, changed my 01 door cards from an 02 or 03 to get tweeter ports and replaced the stock speakers. I added two speakers to each roll hoop with S-Pods and the new head unit is powered with a 5-channel amp that is mounted on a bracket that sits inside the spare tire wheel. A Modifry interface cable allows me to retain the driver dash audio dash controls.
            with this sound system, I can crank it up to clearly hear the music at highway speeds with the top down.
            I don’t worry about resale value for this car, because I don’t plan to sell it for a very long time. I want to enjoy it now.

Comment

Originally posted by lacochino View Post

Oh, agreed, fully. I tried to express that in my original post. One thing I am considering is that speaker technology has come so far, and that just upgrading the speakers that are already in place in the doors might do the trick. And you are not kidding about the horn. I've always considered getting something that sounds like an old Buick and slapping that in the car, because frankly, the S2000 sounds like the Roadrunner.
              May I suggest a nice set of Italian trumpets!
              The Italians don't do everything well, but something they are quite proficient at is getting people's attention on the road and doing it with style.
              It's not necessary to get a preprogramed line of music but nothing gets attention better than a hearty blast on a dual horn.
              WAKE UP CHOOCH!

2000 AP1 mods: Kraftwerks high boost supercharger kit, Proflow Design throttle body, AP2 transmission, Stage 2 Competition Clutch, KW Variant 3 coilovers, RM strut tower brace, MG Racing X brace, AP2 V1 wheels, AP2 rear wing, Moddiction heat shield, Hella horns, Custom fab cold air box, Ceramic coated exhaust manifold, Fujitsubo Legalis R dual exhaust, custom front splitter, and custom vented OEM hood.

Comment

FYI The current offering from Susquehanna Motor Sports (The place I purchased my horns from many years ago) is a flat out bargain for a matched Compact Trumpet Set
                (one low tone (400hz, and one high tone(500hz) at around $13 total (with bracket) plus shipping (I would assume). They are nice and loud (it's pleasant but serious) and most of all small to make the installation easy, simple and compact. You WILL be heard!
                That's Hella TE16 from Susquehanna Motor Sports at RallyLights.com.
                Good product, good supplier and they've been around for many years! I bought mine in 2001.

I know, I know that price seems ridiculous, it's hard to imagine getting anything worthwhile for $13 (it was about $27 back when I bought it),
                Still working fine! I thought I was getting a good deal then, they could add $14 shipping and handling and still be giving you a great deal!
                Last edited by Stuka; 04-08-2021, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AZS2KDancer View Post
                  Most of the time, I enjoy the sound of the engine. On longer trips, as well as a rare time in town, my sound system puts out very good sound. I’m running a subwoofer in the passenger footwell cavity, changed my 01 door cards from an 02 or 03 to get tweeter ports and replaced the stock speakers. I added two speakers to each roll hoop with S-Pods and the new head unit is powered with a 5-channel amp that is mounted on a bracket that sits inside the spare tire wheel. A Modifry interface cable allows me to retain the driver dash audio dash controls.
                  with this sound system, I can crank it up to clearly hear the music at highway speeds with the top down.
                  I don’t worry about resale value for this car, because I don’t plan to sell it for a very long time. I want to enjoy it now.
                  This is FANTASTIC. Thank you!
                  This Too Shall Pass

Comment

FYI The current offering from Susquehanna Motor Sports (The place I purchased my horns from many years ago) is a flat out bargain for a matched Compact Trumpet Set
                    (one low tone (400hz, and one high tone(500hz) at around $13 total (with bracket) plus shipping (I would assume). They are nice and loud (it's pleasant but serious) and most of all small to make the installation easy, simple and compact. You WILL be heard!
                    That's Hella TE16 from Susquehanna Motor Sports at RallyLights.com.
                    Good product, good supplier and they've been around for many years! I bought mine in 2001.

I know, I know that price seems ridiculous, it's hard to imagine getting anything worthwhile for $13 (it was about $27 back when I bought it),
                    Still working fine! I thought I was getting a good deal then, they could add $14 shipping and handling and still be giving you a great deal!
                    The Italians CAN sing. I am in love with this idea. LOVE. And I would pay a LOT MORE for this! Thank you!!!!

Was the installation fairly straightforward?
                    This Too Shall Pass

Comment

As far as I can remember (twenty years ago), I'm sure if I had any problems they would have been minor. I installed them myself, without needing to remove the bumper (although that might have made the install easier. Had to remove the heat shield for access. Still can't get over the price (must be a clearance sale, but after all this time??) like I said TWENTY years no problem. Bear in mind I don't lean on my horn multiple times a drive, it's a warning device and at times a wake up assist. (Not a musical instrument!)
                      Wait till you hit the horn button the first time after the install, I can remember that!

I often think that Uehara San did this along with the cheap speakers to keep our focus on the sounds of the car without distractions.
                      Then I remember that, just like with our manufacturers everything must go past the money guys at some point!

Comment

As far as I can remember (twenty years ago)...
                        Honda upgraded the horn in later models of the S2000 (along with the speakers too, in addition to adding roll hoop speakers too). The early ones had somewhat anemic horns, a lot like a Miata horn. I can understand why you would have opted to change it in your car, John. By 2007, the S2000 horns were totally different, so I'm good with what's in there. I probably would want to change it too, if it wasn't already beefier than a Miata horn.

Much like you, John, I have changed what I wanted to, and it's always been up to me. It's my car. What other people think about it isn't my concern. But I also didn't buy it with a desire to change a whole lot. I did my research and I found that this was the car that would do everything that I wanted. And so I made it happen. I've got a few additions and personalizations (front lip, rear spoiler, MP3 player), but I haven't really felt anything huge was missing.
                        -Roseanne

S2KDays: 2019 Gettysburg || 2018 SoCal || 2017 Fredericksburg || 2016 Durango || 2014 Hood River

Miscellaneous Musings:
                        The most important lessons you need to know about life can be learned from a Weeble.

Good cars get you from point A to point B.
                        Great cars... well, those just get you into trouble.
                        -Unknown

If I could only give three words of advice, they would be, "tell the truth." If I got three more words, I'd add: "All the time."
                        -Randy Pausch

Comment

OK.....update! To clarify what it was I purchased and what you want to order, go to the Susquehanna website and order:
                          Hella SUPERTONE Horn Kit, 118 db at 2M, 003399801, 003399803, 003399101
                          This is the kit (my previous pricing was a quick look up) the website is less than user friendly...the price should be $34.99 (much more in line with what it should be by all rights considering 20 years passing since I bought mine)
                          The kit has the two horns, relay and mounting bracket (be sure to click 12 Volts)!

Comes down to it, I'd rather have something made by an Automotive Enthusiast rather than a website designer,
                          Worth every penny!

Comment

"Somewhat Anemic"
                            Gave me a few laughs there, Roseanne.....
                            (You AP2 owners don't know what it was like in the olden days, by cracky!)

Comment

"Somewhat Anemic"
                              Gave me a few laughs there, Roseanne.....
                              (You AP2 owners don't know what it was like in the olden days, by cracky!)

Sure I do.

I've read all about it in history books.

-Roseanne

S2KDays: 2019 Gettysburg || 2018 SoCal || 2017 Fredericksburg || 2016 Durango || 2014 Hood River

Miscellaneous Musings:
                              The most important lessons you need to know about life can be learned from a Weeble.

Good cars get you from point A to point B.
                              Great cars... well, those just get you into trouble.
                              -Unknown

If I could only give three words of advice, they would be, "tell the truth." If I got three more words, I'd add: "All the time."
                              -Randy Pausch

Comment

Oh and bye the bye, no intention of slighting website designers.
                                Design is a thankless job and entirely unappreciated by the general public even when it's done well,
                                I'm sure you do the best you possibly can with the little actual human interaction you have.

Comment

Working...
                                X