Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fujita F5 CAI Versus Comptech CAI

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fujita F5 CAI Versus Comptech CAI

    In the last year, I have been running a Fujita F5 CAI, in fact I'm the one that started the craze. In recent weeks, I have swapped out my Fujita F5 CAI and replaced it with a Comptech CAI. After driving a few weeks and a few tanks of gas, here is my comparison of the two.

    City & Hwy Daily driving Mileage
    Stock Mileage per tank: 235 - 265
    Fujita F5 Mileage per tank: 280 - 300
    Comptech Mileage per tank: 270 - 290

    For those that know me, I like to drive spirited with a heavy foot.

    Stock Sound: very quiet, wind noise.
    Fujita Sound: very deep rumbling throaty vortex like
    Comptech Sound: deep steady rumble softer then Fujita

    Stock Throttle response: muted
    Fujita Throttle response: quick responsive to the gas peddle.
    Comptech Throttle response: same as Fujita.

    All in all, I can feel a very lively throttle response from the Fujita and Comptech. Whether that translates into more hp, honestly only a dyno could tell. I would say that both of them had about the same pick up when accelarating. Fuel efficiency is greater with the Fujita by about 3%. Sound is more unique and throaty in the Fujita and accentuated at Vtec. All in all, I would choose the Fujita F5 CAI over the Comptech. I might switch back.
    Last edited by asnbanker; 02-19-2008, 01:17 AM.


    '06 Laguna Blue - Sold

  • #2
    if you do switch back, I call dibs since my bro wants it

    also, i dont believe a dyno will "truely" give you the proper HP since it functions at real speed and not some weak fan blowing into it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Presidente View Post
      if you do switch back, I call dibs since my bro wants it

      also, i dont believe a dyno will "truely" give you the proper HP since it functions at real speed and not some weak fan blowing into it.
      I already had Richard in mind if I change back. No worries.


      '06 Laguna Blue - Sold

      Comment


      • #4
        This is a great review, thanks for posting that. I always wanted to know the mileage gains resulted from a CAI....although most people's seem to go down cause they want to hear the growl : )

        Comment


        • #5
          do you have anything like that for the AEM cai?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by s2k_at_17 View Post
            do you have anything like that for the AEM cai?
            when i had my AEM CAI V.1 on my AP1
            I averaged between 260-280 miles between fill up, and i drove hard.

            noise was decent, added a lower tone, much noisier than the stock sound, could actually hear your revs clearly.

            i can't remember throttle response compared to the stock set up though, it felt the same i guess.

            Comment


            • #7
              because im in the market and was looking at the fujita...and become part of the cult!! lol.. but im still in the air on it

              Comment


              • #8
                Does the Fujita F5 have any valve to avoid water lock? Other things being equal, the additional protection afforded by the Comptech could be useful.

                Alex, did you do the installation yourself or have a pro do it?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by TXGator View Post
                  Does the Fujita F5 have any valve to avoid water lock? Other things being equal, the additional protection afforded by the Comptech could be useful.

                  Alex, did you do the installation yourself or have a pro do it?
                  Curt does all the stuff for me.

                  I will tell you because I went through the whole water deal and flushed my engine out and everything. Unless you submerge the cone, you don't have to worry about it. I couldn't see the road near my house and I shouldn't have driven til after the rain, but I drove anyways and got stuck. I have driven in hard rain with no problems. Even after going through that, I still would choose the Fujita F5 over the Comptech. Water is not an issue as long as you don't drive in 8 inch high water.

                  A lone Star member that is hardly on has commented he would have bought the Fujita if he did more research, instead he bought the AEM and wishes he had something else.


                  '06 Laguna Blue - Sold

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    i LOVE my fujita!
                    the sound is what hooked me... all the other stuff was great too
                    i had heard alot of great things about them (mostly from alex) and had to try it for myself. I did start to get a bit better gas mileage but with the intake i notice im driving a bit heavier LOL so that canceled out my gas savings. All in all, i wouldnt trade it for the world.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I don't see how a cold air intake can ever bring better gas mileage.

                      An accepted fuel economy improvement technique is to use a HAI - a hot air intake. i.e. a intake that takes in air over the exhaust manifold...

                      Cooler air is more dense so the ECU's response would be to add more fuel to keep the 14.7 parts air/ 1 part fuel = Stoichiometric ratio for a non-FI internal combustion engine...

                      That said it should be good for a couple ponies and some mean sound!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        So why did you switch?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The only time I got 30mpg was on a trip. I get less than 20mpg around town. Same after Fujita, which i love. Slambo gave me a shutoff valve to prevent water if intake submerged. Curt installed for me.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by s2keepup View Post
                            i LOVE my fujita!
                            the sound is what hooked me... all the other stuff was great too
                            i had heard alot of great things about them (mostly from alex) and had to try it for myself. I did start to get a bit better gas mileage but with the intake i notice im driving a bit heavier LOL so that canceled out my gas savings. All in all, i wouldnt trade it for the world.
                            Exactly!

                            "It's rocket science but it's well understood rocket science." - Naveen Jain


                            sigpic
                            2005 S2000 Silverstone Metallic - Fujita F5, ACT HDSS clutch, Work Emotion XD-9, Cobalt XR3 brake pads, Russell SS brake lines,
                            Mugen reservoir socks, Modifry glove box organizer, factory headrest speakers, factory Ti shift knob, S2KCA logo throughout

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              You can use the aem bypass valve on the fujita intake....personally i dont feel this is necessary...as stated you would have to go through at least 8 inches of water to submerge the cone....If you submerge the front of your car that much you wont be worrying about just sucking up water.....

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by ajay View Post
                                So why did you switch?
                                Alex switched because he seems to like driving across rivers and and then spending the next week drying out his engine from all the water he sucked up.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by ajay View Post
                                  So why did you switch?
                                  got the comptech for next to nothing and it was Carbon Fiber.


                                  '06 Laguna Blue - Sold

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by s2k 4 me View Post
                                    Alex switched because he seems to like driving across rivers and and then spending the next week drying out his engine from all the water he sucked up.
                                    It wasn't that bad, but it could have been.

                                    That's where the Comptech wins hands down for me. Houston has so many flash floods that riding with a CAI below the bumper is pushing your luck. I personally don't have the money to replace a hydrolocked engine so that I can have a few extra ponies on nice days. You really have to be careful when selecting a CAI.

                                    I've had my Comptech CAI for 7 years now and still use the same filter after many cleaning cycles.
                                    Thanks,
                                    Joe


                                    .................................................. .................................................. ..........

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      If I could afford a Comptech CAI, I'd go for it...but an Injen is a lot cheaper for something I just want to try.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by asnbanker View Post
                                        I will tell you because I went through the whole water deal and flushed my engine out and everything. Unless you submerge the cone, you don't have to worry about it. I couldn't see the road near my house and I shouldn't have driven til after the rain, but I drove anyways and got stuck. I have driven in hard rain with no problems. Even after going through that, I still would choose the Fujita F5 over the Comptech. Water is not an issue as long as you don't drive in 8 inch high water.
                                        Quoted for truth...

                                        Last Fall I was bombarded by multiple flash floods in a two week period. One of those times I was out driving when it hit; being only a block from home, I decided to take my chances with crossing an intersection with deep water.

                                        What looked only 2-3 inches deep turned out to be over 12. I made it about 2 feet before the car shut itself off, it didn't take long for me to realize why when someone came up to help me with the water up to his knees. It was then I realized how much heavy rainfall can distort your perception.

                                        When I got pushed out, I was really bummed thinking that my car had hydro-locked but after a few hours of sitting... I nervously pushed the engine start and to my surprise it started! I guess I went in fast enough that it splashed the engine and got the spark plugs wet before the water came back to submerge the intake. I'm pretty positive if I went in at a slower speed, the engine would have hydro-locked.

                                        When I first installed my Fujita I was happy to see that there are two layers of plastic under the car to protect the filter from any water coming from underneath; I had no idea this would help as well as it did. Since my car survived such a potential disaster, I no longer have worries about driving in the rain, let me tell you, that filter is protected pretty damn well. Unless you drive through deep water regularly, have no worries about a CAI on an S2K.

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X