Linux Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Question

A friend of mine passed away and left me with 5 servers running several different Linux distros. Unfortunately, he did not leave me his usernames and passwords. I can boot the machines from a live CD and look at the HD contents, but I really would like to reset the usernames and passwords such that I can see how he had these computers set-up and running. Is there a way to do this? I will say that I have dabbled in Linux, but am far from comfortable with the command line syntax. If it has to be done from the command line, I will need detailed instructions. And feel free to PM me if this needs to be kept from general knowledge.

Thanks,

John
    JW
    Cannondale Six13
    LOOK KG 381
    Klien Quantum Race

Is your boot loader GRUB? If so, boot into single user or emergency/rescue mode
    # Select the kernel
    # Press the e key to edit the entry
    # Select second line (the line starting with the word kernel)
    # Press the e key to edit kernel entry so that you can append single user mode
    # Append the letter S (or word Single) to the end of the (kernel) line
    # Press ENTER key
    # Now press the b key to boot the Linux kernel into single user mode

Once you are at a command line:

# mount -t proc proc /proc
    # mount -o remount,rw /
    # passwd (enter new password at this time)
    # sync
    # reboot
    # passwd
    A VA/WV Founding Member

Comment

I think that may have allowed me to change the password, but I am not sure what username he was using. I have tried the most logical ones for him and it is not letting me log in.

When I selected the kernel, single was already entered there. Don't know if that mattered.
      JW
      Cannondale Six13
      LOOK KG 381
      Klien Quantum Race

Comment

<-f724-4145-a682-80647547bf2d ro single_

Is what I am seeing.
        JW
        Cannondale Six13
        LOOK KG 381
        Klien Quantum Race

Comment

I figured it out. I needed to add his username to the passwd command to change his password.
          JW
          Cannondale Six13
          LOOK KG 381
          Klien Quantum Race

Comment

I tried this same routine on another one of his machines and am not getting a command line. It is still the Grub boot loader, and I can modify the kernel line, but it always ends up at a logon screen. Is there another switch that I can add to force it to a command line?
            JW
            Cannondale Six13
            LOOK KG 381
            Klien Quantum Race

Comment

Working...
            X