Home Security System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Security System

Looking for suggestions for a home security system.

Who do you use, would you recommend it, etc.

Thanks
    Deleted signature for the safety of my cars.....

Please note that my posts are not personal attacks - they are my observations/opinions - your opinions may vary.

I have ADT, but honestly I don't think there's much difference between the major players. I shopped based on price, I'm happy with them. ADT offers a system that works without a home phone line, which was a necessity for me.

Comment

Brinks.

Comment

A dog.

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
          A dog.
          I second this.
          2006 Lotus Elise

2006 BMW 330i sport 6MT

2002 S2000 New Formula Red (retired)

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
            A dog.
            But a dog won't automatically call the fire department if the smoke alarms go off. Nice feature when you're away from home or on vacation.

Comment

ADT and a dog.
              Surely you can't be serious!
              I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley...

02 Suzuka Blue #407 - GBNF
              86 MR2 - GBNF
              sigpic
              It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses. Hit it!

Comment

A talking dog?

Comment

ADT....used to work for them so I got it pretty cheap.... I agree with the above that there is not much of a difference between the major players..... Sometimes getting the system installed by an "authorized dealer" can be a better deal than actually having an ADT technician come out and install.

Comment

Originally posted by bjurasz View Post
                    But a dog won't automatically call the fire department if the smoke alarms go off. Nice feature when you're away from home or on vacation.
                    That depends on how well you train the dog
                    2006 Lotus Elise

2006 BMW 330i sport 6MT

2002 S2000 New Formula Red (retired)

Comment

I use Brinks. Make sure you pay to have all the doors and windows sensored up. Basic prices only include two doors and a keypad. Motion works great also. And get a dog

Comment

Dog's are phail... As soon as I meet a dog that can scare people like my cat I'll get one...

Comment

Dog is not an option, but thanks for all the suggestions to get one.....
                          Deleted signature for the safety of my cars.....

Please note that my posts are not personal attacks - they are my observations/opinions - your opinions may vary.

Comment

Brad - If it matters to you, some companies you own the euiqpement, some you are leasing it. ADT & Brinks, you do not own the equipement. The monthly monitoring is more for the leased equipement rather then the purchased equipement. I personally own my alarm equipement. MY parent's house also with the same company and the equipement and sensors are still working correctly. If there is a bad sensor, part of the monthly service charge includes a small maintenece fee so that replacing bad sensors or such is covered.

The initial cost for the purchased one is quite a bit more, but if you have had that alarm as long as my parents have, the cost savings already is realized after 5 years.

'06 Laguna Blue - Sold

Comment

If you get a security system, tell your insurance agent. You will get a nice discount.
                              S2K Days Attendee: Belterra, IN - 07 | Lake George, NY - 08 | San Francisco, CA - 09 | Asheville, NC - 10 | Keystone, SD - 11 | Golden, CO - 12 | Atlanta, GA - 13 | Hood River, OR - 14 | Cumberland Falls, KY - 15 | Durango, CO - 16 | Fredericksburg, TX - 17 | SoCal, CA - 18 | Gettysburg, PA - 19

Where have you driven your S2000?

Comment

I had Brinks at my house in Florida. It was a panic decision, and I didn't shop it the way I should have. When I decided to get one here in Texas, I did some shopping.

I found a local company who installed the system (I, like Alex, own my system) for a few hundred dollars and only committed me to a one year monitoring contract at $15/mo, versus Brinks and ADT who would install it free but wanted a 3 year monitoring contract at $30+/mo. Same service, but far less money for the local company. Aside from liking my money, I like to shop local too, so this was all very attractive to me.
                                "Be the change you want to see in the world."
                                -Mahatma Gandhi

'14 Audi S4
                                '02 S2000 NFR S/C
                                '79 Vespa Primavera ET3 with cylinder kit to a whopping 135 ccs!
                                Interviewing candidates for vehicle #4...

Comment

Working...
                                X