RIP: Newspapers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP: Newspapers

Out of curiosity, anyone here still read newspapers?

I was listening to a BBC report over online-radio ironically who were lamenting about the decline of newspapers. I know the Rocky Mountain News died at age 150 just recently.

Ashamedly, I only read a newspaper maybe 2-4 times per month at best.

'65 Honda S600
    '02 Honda Mugen S2000
    '10 BMW E90 M3
    '15 Mini Cooper

What's a newspaper?

Comment

Daily. Most of it is done on-line, but if i see one lying around i'll pick it up and read at least a few pages. unfortunately what comes out first is given more weight than the accuracy of the story, and so it gives credible news outlets a disadvantage over these bloggers who have no accountability and almost nothing to risk.

Comment

I read a paper only on the weekends, when I'm home...
        '00 Civic Si supercharged (stolen)
        '95 Civic hb turbocharged (sold)
        '03 Acura CL-S supercharged (sold
        )
        '06 S2000 NA (returned)
        '11 E92 turbo (returned
        )
        '14 F10

Become an S2KCA Member, the only NON-PROFIT S2000 Car Club

Comment

I read my local paper online, they send a daily email w/ links to their stories. We have it delivered Sundays, but often don't read it.
          Chris

'13 Civic Si sedan
          '08 Ridgeline RTL
          '02 Z06

Comment

If I didnt have to be up so early for work, I would totally sit with a cup of coffee and read the paper. I remember when I was a kid, I thought "When I grow up I'm gonna drink coffee and read the paper every morning just like my dad!"

Now I'm grown up, working 60hrs and week and lucky if I catch a blurb on the local news website on a 20 min lunch break. Ahhhhh life.

J

Comment

Denver's Rocky Mountain News just closed their doors, a few days shy of their 150 year anniversary. Sad sight to see, i remember seeing my parents reading the newspaper daily as i left for school.

i still use it to clean windows, works better than anything!

Comment

i think there will always be a market for it, just like vinyl

Comment

Originally posted by Presidente View Post
                  i think there will always be a market for it, just like vinyl
                  But it costs a lot more to produce and distribute a daily paper than it does a vinyl record! You have to sell a lot of papers, and more importantly, advertising, to be profitable.
                  Chris

'13 Civic Si sedan
                  '08 Ridgeline RTL
                  '02 Z06

Comment

I have watched the demise of the paper paper with great sadness. I am now living in the first city I've ever lived in as an adult that I didn't work for the newspaper (The Austin American Stateman is so horrible that I refuse to sully my resume with it). There is something very calming about bringing the paper in off the step and settling in with a cup of hot tea before starting my day. I wish Austin would get a paper worth the newsprint it's printed on!
                    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
                    -Mahatma Gandhi

'14 Audi S4
                    '02 S2000 NFR S/C
                    '79 Vespa Primavera ET3 with cylinder kit to a whopping 135 ccs!
                    Interviewing candidates for vehicle #4...

Comment

A newspaper is my preferred choice on getting the news, but other media sources will follow thru the rest of the day, since there is no evening edition.

Tan

Comment

dont old people only read it ?

Comment

Every Day! But I won't read the Sunday New York Times - that takes a whole week to read.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by txs2knoah View Post
                            dont old people only read it ?
                            Yep, because we're the generation that knows how to read and comprehend the printed word in it's entirety. Most of the younger generation don't have an attention-span long enough to read a comic strip much less a newspaper.
                            ----------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Marietta Memorial Meet - Marietta, OH - Always new adventures - The Rt. 26 Covered Bridge Run - June 3-5, 2022.
                            Staunton Pop-up - Staunton, VA - Old friends, new friends and Rt. 250 -July 15- 17. 2022
                            Dragon Fall Run - Deal's Gap, NC - The Dragon, the friends, the fun - Aug 25 to 28, 2002

Comment

Originally posted by KeepItStock View Post
                              Every Day! But I won't read the Sunday New York Times - that takes a whole week to read.
                              It is purrrrdy big....and HEAVY!
                              '00 Civic Si supercharged (stolen)
                              '95 Civic hb turbocharged (sold)
                              '03 Acura CL-S supercharged (sold
                              )
                              '06 S2000 NA (returned)
                              '11 E92 turbo (returned
                              )
                              '14 F10

Become an S2KCA Member, the only NON-PROFIT S2000 Car Club

Comment

I used to be a member of Sports Shooter back when I was photographing sports on a regular basis, but when I became a member I was quite surprised at just how many of them were photojournalists working for newspapers. During my membership I've seen countless forum threads on the demise of newspapers. From what I can gather the bulk of the problems are from leveraged industry consolidation. Couple this with declining ad revenue and they are unable to make all those debt payments. Some newspapers would even still be profitable today if it weren't for the debt. Sound familiar? Housing market anyone?

I doubt online publication of the newspaper is going to save them. Not unless they can find a way to make seriously more money in online advertisting, which nobody seems to have figured out yet.

On the bright side, even though large city dailies are having a tough time, the small local weeklies appear to be thriving. The Cedar Park and Leander areas of north Austin have three weekly papers, and Amy and I read them regularly. We get local news we just can't get anywhere else. For state, national and international news I favor CNN (TV and online), Yahoo Finance, and Bloomberg and NYT on my iPhone.

Comment

I subscribe to the AJC and read it daily. Sadly they've implemented a number of cost-cutting measures that are cutting out the things I enjoy in the paper (and raising the subscription price at the same time). I'll probably continue to subscribe until the paper goes under, but I'm going to hate to see them continue to cut things I enjoy.
                                  2006 Lotus Elise

2006 BMW 330i sport 6MT

2002 S2000 New Formula Red (retired)

Comment

I ride the train to work and read it everyday and do the crossword puzzle on the way back. Unfortunately, the publisher of the major Philadelphia newspaper is in bankruptcy proceedings so who knows what we'll wind up with. Something about picking what I want to read and being able to go in depth is preferable to the newsbites on TV.... And yes, I'm over 50 so it's an ingrained habit as much as anything...
                                    Surely you can't be serious!
                                    I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley...

02 Suzuka Blue #407 - GBNF
                                    86 MR2 - GBNF
                                    sigpic
                                    It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses. Hit it!

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Mugen View Post
                                      Out of curiosity, anyone here still read newspapers?
                                      Not really. I'll occasionally hit the Houston Chronicle web site but I won't every touch a printed copy (seems like a bit of a waste unless you also happen to have a puppy to housebreak or a kid that loves to papier mache).

However, I will flip through the Press while getting coffee at Catalina.

Comment

Working...
                                      X