Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas State Senator John Carona considers legalizing lane splitting

Texas State Senator John Carona considers legalizing lane splitting

Texas State Senator John Carona has recently introduced Senate Bill 506, which would allow lane splitting in Texas. For those unaware, lane splitting is the practice of riding in between slow moving automotive traffic on a motorcycle. Right now, California is the only state that allows motorcycles to split lanes... legally.

While it may sound like a dangerous practice, studies have shown that rear-end motorcycle accidents in California are about 30 percent lower than in other states that have year-round riding seasons. The practice is also legal in many other countries, including much of Europe and all of Japan. Other benefits include reduced congestion and lowered vehicle emissions and fuel usage.

If passed, riders and their passengers would need to be wearing helmets and would only be allowed to travel 5 miles per hour faster than the rest of traffic. Additionally, the practice would not be allowed at speeds of over 20 mph.

[Source: KUHF radio via The Kneeslider | Photo: akeg]
    Thanks,
    Joe

.................................................. .................................................. ..........

I see a lot of bikers doing this already

'65 Honda S600
    '02 Honda Mugen S2000
    '10 BMW E90 M3
    '15 Mini Cooper

Comment

I'll be at the Capitol on the 18th to support this. I think it will encourage people to ride motorcycles and reduce traffic, which is a great idea. I also think this is really good for motorcyclists here in the summer, for whom sitting in traffic is just needlessly asking for heat stroke.
      "Be the change you want to see in the world."
      -Mahatma Gandhi

'14 Audi S4
      '02 S2000 NFR S/C
      '79 Vespa Primavera ET3 with cylinder kit to a whopping 135 ccs!
      Interviewing candidates for vehicle #4...

Comment

I agree with Sondra. I too want a bike for this summer and having a 30% less chance of getting killed in traffic sounds like a good idea to me! Plus, I can beat ALL the lines!
        03 Spa Yellow S2000
        - Nvidia N1 Exhaust, Fujita Cold Air, Invidia TP, CEL Eliminator, SSR Type F wheels, Kics R40 Neo Chrome lugs, VooDoo shift knob, CR radio door, Ricks S badges, Extreme Dimensions C1 Body Kit. More on the Way!
        - Interior - Alpine SPX17 Pro, Alpine DVA - 9965 HU, JL Audio 1000/1 V2, Alpine MRP-F450, JL Audio 12W7, Custom amp rack, Custom fiber glass enclosure, 2nd battery, 180 Amp alternator, Full interior matt & foam sound proofing.

Comment

I think it's a great idea, and seems to work very well in CA. I'd go down to show my support, but work owns me these days!
          Chris

'13 Civic Si sedan
          '08 Ridgeline RTL
          '02 Z06

Comment

Working...
          X