• Show
Clear All

• If there was any doubt about auto ind troubles

This report seems to cover all the base when it comes to areas of concern

http://www.autonews.com/article/2009...IDEO/303169940
    Dave
    now - '59 white MGA
    past - '01 S2000 (nine years), four other MGAs, Spitfire, Stag, 63 Vette

If you think that is bad. I just watched some talking head on CNBC say that GM should NOT make the Camaro because it is such a gas guzzler. Here we go, Washington telling car companies what they can and can not make. It is only the beginning. The more money they take the more Washington will tell them what they can and cannot do. Not a good formula for success IMO.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by mlc View Post
      If you think that is bad. I just watched some talking head on CNBC say that GM should NOT make the Camaro because it is such a gas guzzler. Here we go, Washington telling car companies what they can and can not make.
      Not sure that some talking head on CNBC is the government. What am I missing?

Comment

Originally posted by bjurasz View Post
        A conspiracy theory? The lack of logic?

GM would be stupid not to produce the Camaro now. The R&D was spent, I assume the tooling is in place, now they just have to crank up the prod. line (if they haven't already). If the economy was in decent shape, I'm sure it would be a big hit!
        Chris

'13 Civic Si sedan
        '08 Ridgeline RTL
        '02 Z06

Comment

Sorry I made my point badly. If that is what is being said and thought I am quite sure that there are a lot of people in Washington that think if they take the money then we should be able to tell them what to do.

A very slippery slope.

kevin

Comment

I hear a lot of debate on CNBC from both sides of various issues - it makes their programming more interesting. Those politicians must get so confused, wondering which side of the various CNBC debates to adopt!

If I had a few billion $$$ to loan to a car company, you better believe it would come w/ strings attached and the ability to influence important decisions...esp. since the Big 3 didn't reach their current position via a series of brilliant decisions and execution!
            Chris

'13 Civic Si sedan
            '08 Ridgeline RTL
            '02 Z06

Comment

Well if they are doing so bad, the local Porsche dealer doesn't want to sell me a car. I made a reasonable offer and they came back WAY to high on their counter offer. I haven;t spoken to them since, but they have called me back.
              Happiness is a nice road, great weather, and driving the S with Sue in the seat next to me.

"Whatever you do, where ever you go, enjoy the drive."

I know for a FACT that the last year of production of the S2000 is 2003!!!!!
              After that, it will be the S2200 under an assumed name.

Comment

Originally posted by gomarlins3 View Post
                Well if they are doing so bad, the local Porsche dealer doesn't want to sell me a car. I made a reasonable offer and they came back WAY to high on their counter offer. I haven;t spoken to them since, but they have called me back.
                Hmmm I would think logically that if it was at least above invoice (Dealer's cost to get the car on the lot) that they would actually take you up on your offer. Most of the import manufacturers aren't doing as bad as the big 3 too. Strictly curious, what where you looking at?
                03 Spa Yellow S2000
                - Nvidia N1 Exhaust, Fujita Cold Air, Invidia TP, CEL Eliminator, SSR Type F wheels, Kics R40 Neo Chrome lugs, VooDoo shift knob, CR radio door, Ricks S badges, Extreme Dimensions C1 Body Kit. More on the Way!
                - Interior - Alpine SPX17 Pro, Alpine DVA - 9965 HU, JL Audio 1000/1 V2, Alpine MRP-F450, JL Audio 12W7, Custom amp rack, Custom fiber glass enclosure, 2nd battery, 180 Amp alternator, Full interior matt & foam sound proofing.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris S View Post
                  If I had a few billion $$$ to loan to a car company, you better believe it would come w/ strings attached and the ability to influence important decisions...esp. since the Big 3 didn't reach their current position via a series of brilliant decisions and execution!
                  I gotta agree with that. Sorry, its my taxpayer dollars bailing out all sorts of bad companies right now, between GM, Chrysler, various banks, and the big-daddy of them all, AIG. Sorry, you don't get my money without strings. You don't want the strings? Then find a way to save your company without my money.

AIG is just awful right now. I mean honestly how do they justify those bonuses? I don't CARE if it is contractually obligated to them. The UAW contract was a contract, but people demanded that contract be scrapped, why not the same with the AIG contract? Sorry, those guys have not shown they were worth their bonus. And they're not worth my dollars to save their butts.

Comment

Originally posted by Skakum View Post
                    Hmmm I would think logically that if it was at least above invoice (Dealer's cost to get the car on the lot) that they would actually take you up on your offer. Most of the import manufacturers aren't doing as bad as the big 3 too. Strictly curious, what where you looking at?

They were used. A 911 and a Cayman S. He did call me the other day (2 months later) and left a message saying the price of the 911 had gone down.
                    Happiness is a nice road, great weather, and driving the S with Sue in the seat next to me.

"Whatever you do, where ever you go, enjoy the drive."

I know for a FACT that the last year of production of the S2000 is 2003!!!!!
                    After that, it will be the S2200 under an assumed name.

Comment

AIG is just awful right now. I mean honestly how do they justify those bonuses? I don't CARE if it is contractually obligated to them.
                      I don't even know what to say about AIG... Seems like they also need to axe whoever was involved in coming up with these "contractual obligations".

Comment

My understanding is that many of these "bonuses" are retention-based. Normally these would be pretty critical for a company like AIG to keep all their best talent from leaving the company. I'm not sure when they were granted, but in the current environment they prob. wouldn't be so necessary since where would those employees go? It's not like there's a shortage of finance talent these days...
                        Chris

'13 Civic Si sedan
                        '08 Ridgeline RTL
                        '02 Z06

Comment

Only in America. The former long time head of AIG, who left in '05, is now suing AIG since those who followed ran it in the the tank and he lost his fortune. Sounds ok, till you realize he is suing you and me, the taxpayers, who now own 80%.
                          Dave
                          now - '59 white MGA
                          past - '01 S2000 (nine years), four other MGAs, Spitfire, Stag, 63 Vette

Comment

After Jon Stewart got done with them, I'm not too sure I'm going to be trusting anything coming from CNBC.

02 Sebring Silver: Fujita F5 CAI, Modifry Dash Mounting Plate, XM Radio, Modifry Camera Mount, Keyhole Covers

Comment

The whole argument about the Camaro is moot and the ship has sailed... literally.

edit: ok well it's not REALLY a ship.
                              J.T. - XLevel, LLC
                              (317) 787-2833 - [email protected] - Check out our new site! XLevel.US

What young minds lack in experience, they make up for with curiosity. Because for them there is no right, no wrong, just new ways of solving problems. - Hondamentalism

Comment

Working...
                              X