Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gas Sipper Shootout: 2009 Jetta TDI vs 2010 Honda Insight Which Saves More?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Sipper Shootout: 2009 Jetta TDI vs 2010 Honda Insight Which Saves More?

Gas Sipper Shootout: 2009 Jetta TDI vs 2010 Honda Insight Which Saves More?

So which is easier on your wallet: diesel or gasoline-electric hybrid?
    I've run the numbers and, as it turns out, it's a wash.

The 2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI will cost you 40 cents a kilometre to drive for the first four years, or $7,989.55 a year.

The 2010 Honda Insight will run you about 42 cents a kilometre. That number is an estimate, though a good one. Honda Canada won't announce the actual price until closer to launch date in April. But at about $20,000, Honda's newest hybrid will run you $8,327.75 a year.

The small annual difference in ownership costs between the two fuel-sippers really boils down to one thing: the price of money.

Don't forget the ability to upload your photos on the go, simply e-mail [email protected]

Also, don't miss out on our exciting galleries including the 2009 Geneva Auto Show as well as the Audi A5/A5 Cabriolet Gallery - NO ONE covers the shows like AutoSpies.com!

Read Article
    Thanks,
    Joe

.................................................. .................................................. ..........

I will take TDI even if its 50 cents/km.. Insight is UGLY Prius clone!

Comment

My wife LOVES her '06 Jetta TDI. I've probably never been as content w/ a vehicle as she is w/ hers.
      Chris

'13 Civic Si sedan
      '08 Ridgeline RTL
      '02 Z06

Comment

I would pick the TDI on looks alone. Me no likey new insight

'65 Honda S600
        '02 Honda Mugen S2000
        '10 BMW E90 M3
        '15 Mini Cooper

Comment

His reasons don't work in the USA, where we get lower financing (2.9% or 3.9% on most Hondas, which is better than you get on a TDI here), lower fuel costs, better driving conditions that help the hybrid significantly (warmer temperatures overall), and Hondas don't lose 60% of their value in four years.

However, in the USA, you get a $1300 income tax credit for the Jetta, which would help tremendously for that vehicle. The Insight will not get a tax credit.

I did the numbers over again, using USA-pertinent values at 12K miles per year with the Honda retaining 50% of its value, fuel costs as they are right now, and insurance, finance rates, and maintenance costs equal, with EPA estimates for the fuel mileage. It works out to the Honda costing $0.35/mile vs $0.38/mile for the Jetta (8% better for the Honda).

If I go with "real world" fuel mileage, where the Jetta is about 35 mpg city and 48 mpg highway and the Insight is about 50 mpg city and 55 mpg highway, the numbers switch to $0.35/mile for the Honda and $0.37/mile for the Jetta (5% better for the Honda).

If you go with prior fuel price differences ($3.00/gal for regular, $3.70/gal for diesel), the Jetta jumps to $0.41/mile while the Honda is at $0.37/mile (roughly 10% better for the Honda).

So, a reversal down here in the USA, I think, but still not a HUGE difference. Total cost to own over four years was roughly $16.6K for the Honda vs $17.8K for the Jetta at current prices, or roughly $300 per year difference ($25 a month!).

Honestly, a diesel Jetta would be my choice for a mostly highway car since it'll get very good mileage while being more stable/comfortable. The only time I'd take the Insight is if I had a lot of traffic and stop/go travel.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Mugen View Post
            I would pick the TDI on looks alone. Me no likey new insight
            even this one tom????

Comment

Oh yeah, he assumed a $21K base price in Canada. The base price was announced yesterday and it's $25,570 so that would make it an even worse case for the Honda up in Canada.

Comment

JonBoy, VW TDI's actually hold their value very well since the engines last forever. I'd take a 100-200K mile diesel over a hybrid w/ similar mileage anyday.
                Chris

'13 Civic Si sedan
                '08 Ridgeline RTL
                '02 Z06

Comment

Chris, I believe you and the writer on the VW resale values. I take issue with the idea of a Honda losing 60% of its value over four years. That would put a 2004/2005 Accord to be valued at about $8500 or a 2004/2005 Civic at $6800. Those aren't even remotely close to real value.

Comment

Working...
                  X