Been a rough week with our daughter- Kinda long read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been a rough week with our daughter- Kinda long read

OK, heres a dilemna for all the folks who have pets that are also family members. Just a little background on my kids, we have to purebred labs, one black and one chocolate. In the last couple weeks we noticed our black lab (my daughter) limping. We thought she may have something inbetween her pads so twice a day we would soak her paw in Epson salts and put antibacterial ointment on it to prevent any infection. We could never find anything in between her pads.
    To make a long story short, this week she lost most of the use of one of her front legs and was crying out in pain. I took her to the vet and after an internal physical, they couldnt really find anything wrong. We had an orthopedic doc check her out, and he also could not pin point the problem. We went home that day with some pain killers only to return to the Vet ER that not when she was screaming out in pain. After more x-rays and alot of research from the vet and our own on the internet, we've concluded that she probably has a pinched nerve, or a disk problem in her neck that is radiating down her leg. Unless your a dog owner you have no idea how heart wrenching it is to hear your dog crying in pain for an extended period of time.

This is where it gets expensive......to totally pinpoint the problem we need to have an MRI done. This alone runs from $1500-$3000 dollars. Then, if there is a problem requiring surgery, that would run another $5000-$8000.

We have opted for a less expensive alternative, we have her on steroids right now which will bring down any inflamation in her spine that might be causing the pinched nerve. It seems to be working somewhat. She has the use of her front leg back for the most part. She still a little sluggish, probably do to the pain killers etc. but shes getting around more and you can see some of her spirit coming back.

After re-reading this, I've come to the conclusion that I'm not sure where I'm going with all this, I guess its just a rambling thread. How far would you go for your pet? I think everyone NOT in this position would say they would spend close to $10k, but until your actualy faced with that decision its hard to say what you would really do. Alot of the decision comes down to quality of life and if you pet would be happy or if life would be a struggle or drug induced haze. We are hoping we've dodged the bullet, atleast this time, but we'll see in the upcoming weeks. I'm so glad my wifes a nurse and knows prescription medications, the side affects, and how they work. She knows all the right questions to ask.

Our daughter Kirby

We spent thousands to keep the quality of life good for one of ours. She lasted over 16 years and it was worth every penny. I understand your post and feelings.

Best of luck to you.

Comment

B-

I have a golden, hes 14.....
      and he has hip displasya... or whatever.... back legs very weak...

having a dog for this long is def. part of the family... like a daughter/son or for me... brother...

its gut wrenching reading this, as i know it SUUUUUUCKS

to be honest, id put myself in the hole for 10k for him....
      '00 Civic Si supercharged (stolen)
      '95 Civic hb turbocharged (sold)
      '03 Acura CL-S supercharged (sold
      )
      '06 S2000 NA (returned)
      '11 E92 turbo (returned
      )
      '14 F10

Become an S2KCA Member, the only NON-PROFIT S2000 Car Club

Comment

Ya, just got done feeding them, she seems SO much better...........I hope this pinched nerve thing just takes care of itself with the steroids. SHe's only about 6 yrs old, and has other problems, shes diabetic, and has a torn ACL in one of her back legs (thats a whole other story) but I honestly dont know what we'd do without her.

Comment

I have an old man Bichon Frise who was on death's door this time 5 years ago. All said and done, the immediate cost for intestinal surgery, followups, etc was well over 5k. His required special prescription diet is about $1.50/day, and he's on several meds. But he's now pushing 13, and has done very well.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat, with one exception. At his current age, he's got other stuff going on - eyesight failing, arthritis, etc. I think it would be problematic for him to survive another long surgery.

Dave

Comment

Ya, I think in the end it comes down to quality of life. Everyone would like to say they do whatever they had to, to save their loved ones, but sometimes you have to ask yourself if that would be the best thing for your pet. If they wold live out their yrs in pain or a drug induced haze, it might not be the best thing, for them, or you.

Comment

I have sold many sets of wheels and car parts, electronics,clothes you name it i probably have sold it just to get enough cash when my best friend was sick and once when he was attacked...would even sell my s2k for him if I had to.

Comment

you're outlook is very good on this situation. a year ago, i had to put down my best friend and i'm still not over it. i know what it's like being at the ER at 3 am, not knowing how long your dog will be in pain or how much it will cost to cure it.

it sounds like the steroids are helping, and we will definitely keep our fingers crossed. have you looked into VIP pet insurance? it's a decent price and has helped us in the past. we have two dogs now, one is getting older, the other is a puppy.

keep us updated!

Comment

I've had a number of dogs and I love my pets but there's no way I'd spend $10K on them. If it was more than $1500, I'd put it down. They're a "part of the family" but they're not my kids. I can replace a sick dog with a new one that we will love and cherish the same way for a lot less money.

I also don't understand people calling pets their "kids". It's kind of sick, to me. They're loyal and affectionate but I'd never give my life for a dog or cat. I cried when I put my last dog down, so I definitely "love" my pets, but it's still.....just a pet.

Comment

We recently lost our black lab. he was about 13 years old.Don't really know his age as I got him from the pound.

He was indeed a member of our family and I can't really describe my feelings about the loss except to say , there's nothing wrong with a man crying over the loss.

Comment

To whoever edited this. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
                        I've had a number of dogs and I love my pets but there's no way I'd spend $10K on them. If it was more than $1500, I'd put it down. They're a "part of the family" but they're not my kids. I can replace a sick dog with a new one that we will love and cherish the same way for a lot less money.

I also don't understand people calling pets their "kids". It's kind of sick, to me. They're loyal and affectionate but I'd never give my life for a dog or cat. I cried when I put my last dog down, so I definitely "love" my pets, but it's still.....just a pet.

Guess its a canadian thing.

Comment

Nothing wrong with that, everyone has their own beliefs/opinions.......My wife and I havent gotten around to having any kids, so our pets are our kids. This is a rough subject.

Comment

Originally posted by batguano View Post
                            We recently lost our black lab. he was about 13 years old.Don't really know his age as I got him from the pound.

He was indeed a member of our family and I can't really describe my feelings about the loss except to say , there's nothing wrong with a man crying over the loss.
                            Sorry for your loss........I know what ya mean, its been like that all week.

Comment

I'd go as far as I could. One thing to maybe consider, and I'd never heard of this before we did some agility classes with our dogs is dog chiropractic care. Yes they have them. They also have dog accupuncture and dog massage therapy. In the case of a pinched nerve, any or all of the above might help. My wife is the receptionist for one of two orthpedic surgical vets in Houston. 5 to 8 k for the surgery if needed seems quite high. You might want to get another estimate if that's the route you end up going.

Comment

Our other lab..........his names Mason

Comment

Originally posted by tmarshall View Post
                                  I'd go as far as I could. One thing to maybe consider, and I'd never heard of this before we did some agility classes with our dogs is dog chiropractic care. Yes they have them. They also have dog accupuncture and dog massage therapy. In the case of a pinched nerve, any or all of the above might help. My wife is the receptionist for one of two orthpedic surgical vets in Houston. 5 to 8 k for the surgery if needed seems quite high. You might want to get another estimate if that's the route you end up going.
                                  Ya, we'll see how it goes, we would like to exhaust all other options before we go with surgery. Acupuncture is one of those options.

Like I said, shes doing pretty good right now, she up and moving pretty well right now, spirits are good, we're trying to avoid giving her any pain meds unless she absolutely needs them, so we'll just take it day by day.

Comment

If it was more than $1500, I'd put it down.
                                    I was trying to say this earlier, but my opinion wasn't appreciated.

If it cost anything over $500, I'd take it on a 1-way trip out to the country put it down, and let the yotes and vultures dispose of it.

It does suck to lose a pet, but you have to draw the line somewhere on cost, and pain and suffering of that poor animal.

TxP

Comment

Gonna have to agree with that. I had a Dingo as my dog for a good 10 years and she ended up dying of old age however there were times here and there that required some cash to heal her back up... but 10k? Yeah, no. It sucked not having her around but I can always get another dog!

You got me, I love dogs but yeah they are still a dog at the end of the day...
                                      03 Spa Yellow S2000
                                      - Nvidia N1 Exhaust, Fujita Cold Air, Invidia TP, CEL Eliminator, SSR Type F wheels, Kics R40 Neo Chrome lugs, VooDoo shift knob, CR radio door, Ricks S badges, Extreme Dimensions C1 Body Kit. More on the Way!
                                      - Interior - Alpine SPX17 Pro, Alpine DVA - 9965 HU, JL Audio 1000/1 V2, Alpine MRP-F450, JL Audio 12W7, Custom amp rack, Custom fiber glass enclosure, 2nd battery, 180 Amp alternator, Full interior matt & foam sound proofing.

Comment

Wow... We have spent THOUSANDS on almost every animal we get... I guess we just have bad luck... but we end up with amazing animals. (this was while still living with my parents) One of our dogs was allergic to everything under the sun, so we got him weekly allergy shots. $$$$ One got hit by a car, so we rushed her in for surgery. One lung had been punctured, a broken rib, and a shattered hip at the age of 8 months... she now runs fine and you would never know it happened. That was like $7000 total. Not bad when you think of it, actually. My horse was having back problems, so I had an acupuncturist and massage therapist come in... that worked AMAZINGLY. And honestly wasn't bad in price. Our other horse had a hoof that would not grow without a crack that he got when he was younger, so corrective shoeing for 3 years finally fixed that... one cat got hit by a car and we had surgery done on him to fix his broken leg... he later for feline leukemia while we were on vacation and our neighbor put him down without even asking us.

I could go on and on... BUT I will say, I think you should look into acupressure or acupuncture. It really does work, and it is definitely less costly than surgery.

** Just saw on this page that you already mentioned acupuncture... DEFINITELY look into it. It's worth it.

Comment

Working...
                                        X