Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Lotus Elise

Just an FYI.....

Dealers have been telling the people on their waiting lists that the official engine choice for the Elise has been made and it is the Toyota 1.8l out of the Celica GTS. The engine management will be done by Lotus, however.

An official press release will be made next week.

Thank you, drive through please.
    Deleted signature for the safety of my cars.....

Please note that my posts are not personal attacks - they are my observations/opinions - your opinions may vary.

I guess I need to get a job now so I can buy one.

Comment

A job isn't required - it's the $40K they are going to want.......

Please note that my posts are not personal attacks - they are my observations/opinions - your opinions may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by meat
        Just an FYI.....

Dealers have been telling the people on their waiting lists that the official engine choice for the Elise has been made and it is the Toyota 1.8l out of the Celica GTS. The engine management will be done by Lotus, however.

An official press release will be made next week.

Thank you, drive through please.
        That sucks IMO. I think it would be much more appealing to me if they would keep the ITR engine in it like I've seen in most of the mags from the previous couple of years. After my last experience with Toyota, although my car itself had no issues, I don't think I would feel comfortable jumping into a deal for a $40k powered by a Toyota engine. I know the gt-s engine (2ZZ) is not the same engine as was in the Spyder (1ZZ) but for me I would just feel better with the Honda engine. Other than that, it's a kick ass car though!

Comment

I'd like to see a 4G63 in that...

S2KCA - The S2000 Club of America

Comment

Honda motors have never been in the car from the factory - this is an aftermarket conversion. FYI

Granted, I'd love to see the new RSX-R motor in them. There is a guy doing conversions with this motor and pumping it up to 260hp. Nice.

But, 190hp and 1900lbs is plenty of power. Trust me.

Comment

Brad, is Lotus affiliated with anyone? Or are they still freelance?

Comment

They are owned by Proton, a Malaysian auto maker.

Comment

So they are free to use any engine they want? Hmm... wonder why they chose the Toyota 1.8.

Comment

I think they chose the motor because it is US approved, Toyota would sell it to them, it fit in the car and it works reasonably well.

Comment

I heard that the other choice that they were deciding between was a GM/Pontiac motor . Out of those 2 I would defintely choose the Toyota engine for sure.

Comment

Keep in mind that Lotus currently produces the Vauxhall/Opel VX220 for GM, which uses a GM motor.

Comment

Just a personal preference. I don't really like GM. Although I guess if they tried to sway me with a VX220, I wouldn't turn them away.

Comment

Here's the OFFICIAL press release

Press Release

There is also a release about the Exige (which I'm not happy about) for the rest of the world. I'm not happy because this car is not following the intent of the original - a road-going version of the Motorsport Elise (the real race car). As far as I know, there is no S2 Motorsport Elise.

If anyone has questions on the Elise, please feel free to contact me - I know a thing or two about them.....

Comment

Meat,
                              Great input, thanks for starting the thread and following through with it. I would like to hear about the Elise, perhaps you could put a thread together.

Thanks everyone, good reading.

Comment

I dig the looks of the Sport Elise. Meat, what are the differences with your car and the Elise?
                                Dave
                                now - '59 white MGA
                                past - '01 S2000 (nine years), four other MGAs, Spitfire, Stag, 63 Vette

Comment

Here's the scoop - LONG

OK - Here's my car. It's a "standard" Exige imported by Lotus USA, except for the addition of the Motorsport brake package that was fitted at the factory. My car actually was a built for the German market and it went to Germany, but didn't sell. So, when Lotus USA ordered 13 Exiges, it went back to England was outfitted for track use in the Motorsport Facility. My car was one of two brought to the US with the Motorsport brake package - only a handful of Exiges left the factory with this package installed.

Front

Back

The specs for my car are below....

Engine
                                  Type: Four-cylinder in-line, dohc, four valves per cylinder, transversely mid-mounted.
                                  Capacity: 1796cc.
                                  Construction: All aluminum.
                                  Maximum power: 180PS (132.5kW) at 7.800rpm. - (190hp if upgraded)
                                  Maximum torque: 127lb ft (172Nm) at 6750rpm. - (140 if upgraded)

Transmission
                                  Short-ratio manual five-speed transaxle driving the rear wheels.

Ratios
                                  First: 2.92 to one.
                                  Second: 1.75 to one.
                                  Third: 1.31 to one.
                                  Fourth: 1.03 to one.
                                  Fifth: 0.85 to one
                                  Reverse: 3.00 to one.
                                  Final drive: 4.20 to one.

Body
                                  Composite body panels based on the fixed-head Lotus Motorsport Elise, incorporating deep front air splitter, fixed high-level rear aerofoil, roof-mounted cold air intake, and clear polycarbonate tailgate panel.

Chassis
                                  Lotus-designed structure of epoxy-bonded aluminum extrusions incorporating steel roll-hoop.

Suspension
                                  Double-wishbones with single coil springs over Koni monotube racing dampers all-round. Adjustable coil spring platform mounts. Lotus-patented extruded aluminum front uprights. Adjustable-link front anti-roll bar.

Steering
                                  Rack and pinion, non-power-assisted.

Wheels
                                  Lotus Motorsport/Rimstock 12-spoke alloy.
                                  Front: 7.0Jx16.
                                  Rear: 8.5Jx17.

Tires
                                  Yokohama A039.
                                  Front: 195/50 ZR16.
                                  Rear: 225/45 ZR17.

Brakes
                                  Cross-drilled and ventilated iron discs all-round. Lotus/AP Racing opposed-piston front calipers, Brembo rear calipers.

Vital statistics
                                  Wheelbase: (2300mm).
                                  Front track: (1457mm).
                                  Rear track: (1476mm).
                                  Overall length: (3761mm).
                                  Overall width: (1730mm) excluding mirrors.
                                  Overall height: (1201mm Unladen and in normal running condition.
                                  Ground clearance: (160mm).
                                  Fuel tank capacity: (36.4 liters).
                                  Fuel grade: 95 RON
                                  Unladen weight: (785kg).

North American cars also have:

Auxiliary driving lamps, oil cooler kit, lightweight competition battery with master switch, , competition springs and dampers, Lotus sport seats and 4 point belts, FIA-approved roll bar with diagonal brace, adjustable front anti-roll bar, uniball rear toe link, fire extinguisher

Options I have:

190HP kit
                                  Motorsport Kit Lightweight competition silencer kit
                                  Motorsport Elise Brake Kit
                                  Carbon fiber cold air box
                                  removable competition steering wheel
                                  5th belt point
                                  B&M short-shift kit
                                  Yokohama A048 tires

Winter projects:

Ultra-close ratio gearbox
                                  Suspension Dynamics dampers and springs

Here is a Motorsport Elise

The Exige is the road-going version of the Motorsport Elise. As you can see the cars look very similar. There are many differences, however.

The Motorsport car comes with....
                                  Straight-cut Ultra Close ratio gearbox
                                  205hp motor with increase cooling capacities
                                  FIA approved roll cage
                                  Speedline Magnesium wheels
                                  Yokohama slicks
                                  Lightweight clamshells
                                  Original cars had center seating position
                                  Adjustable rear wing
                                  Deep front splitter
                                  Motorsport Brake package (4-pot AP Racing calipers upfront and 2-piston in the rear mounted on 295mm drilled and slotted vented rotors with brake bias adjustment.
                                  Data logging Stack system

There are other more subtle difference, but these are the main items.

Then there is the Elise Sport 190 (silver car below). This car is built from a 111S (156hp) Elise in the Motorsport Facility.

The Exige is different from a regular Series 1 Elise or Elise 190S in the following "major" ways.

The Exige sits on larger wheels/tires. The Exige has 16" front wheels and 17" rears, while the Elise has 15" fronts and 16" rears. To accomodate this, the Exige/Motorsport car have flared fenders front and rear.

The Exige also has a fixed top with scoop to cool the engine bay. The Motorsport scoop actually vents directly to the oil cooler (the Exige/190S oil cooler is in the front of the car).

The Exige has the front splitter and fixed rear wing which create real downforce (100kgs @ 100mph) as opposed to reduced lift.

The Exige has a different engine management system that the Elise.

Other than that, the Elise 190S and a 190hp Exige are mechanically identical (or close to identical). The Elise 190S weighs in at around 1550 lbs so it is quicker in a straight line than an Exige (the smaller wheels help too), but on a road course the real downforce of the Exige is a large advantage.

There is also the 340R

This car is built off the same chassis as all the others, but contains different body work as you can see. It comes standard with a 177hp motor (the stock Exige motor). It has no top, no doors, no windows, etc. It's a cool car to drive and it weighs in at around 1450lbs!

Lotus is now building the Series 2 Elise which looks similar to the Federal car that we will be getting.

Here are some comparisons between some of the cars

The Federal car will have (mostly rumors at this point) airbags, A/C, power windows, power locks, ABS and the 190hp Celica GTS motor (with Lotus engine management). The car will probably weigh between 1900-2000lbs so it will be quick. If I know Lotus, there will be handling packages and upgrades to buy. The price is supposed to be around $38-40K.

I still love my S2000 though, so I'm not sure if I'm getting the Elise.

But, once I test drive the Fed car I might change my mind and have to find a new home for the S2000. We'll see.

Hopefully, this sheds some light on the Lotus Elise and it's variants for you.

PS - Lotus also just said that they will be building a S2 Exige for the rest of the world.

Comment

Great post meat, thanks for sharing. I still love going to British car shows and British cars. . . hard to break a life time habit.
                                    Dave
                                    now - '59 white MGA
                                    past - '01 S2000 (nine years), four other MGAs, Spitfire, Stag, 63 Vette

Comment

Working...
                                    X