Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ford dropping all but two of its cars/hatchbacks in 2020 in favor of SUV and crossover vehicles.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford dropping all but two of its cars/hatchbacks in 2020 in favor of SUV and crossover vehicles.

Wait... what? No Fiesta ST? No Focus ST or RS? I'm in shock. We wanted those for so long and now this! Damn you SUV people for ruining it for the rest of us.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/04/25/auto...ica/index.html
    -Roseanne

"Wait... r.murphy isn't a dude?"
    California Dreamin'

FOLLOW S2KCA-LA ON FACEBOOK:
    https://www.facebook.com/S2KCALA/

"It's one thing to be a garden variety asshole. It's another thing entirely to be an asshole with malice and intent." -Nalé

Actually, come to think of it, this trend makes perfect sense (not that I like it). More and more young people are looking to alternative transportation (Lyft/Uber, Metro, etc) and foregoing the usual small, stereotypical first car. They can hardly afford them anyway between paying rent, school loans, and not being able to find jobs that can cover either of the aforementioned expenses. So the people buying the cars are the families who have lots of stuff to haul around (amazing how much crap you have to have to support one tiny human), people with a bit more discretionary money and adult "toys," and the retired/more mature folks who... like bigger SUVs for whatever reason they like bigger SUVs for.
    -Roseanne

California Dreamin'

"It's one thing to be a garden variety asshole. It's another thing entirely to be an asshole with malice and intent." -Nalé

Comment

Then gm or other car mfg win ford loses

Comment

Perhaps not. The market is somewhat fickle. If gas prices trend up, then people will look for gas-sipping tiny cars. If gas prices trend down, then they will back to the trucks and SUVs. Regardless, there isn't as much profit margin in tiny cars like a $13,000 Chevy Spark. There is more profit in the bigger vehicles like the $53,000 GMC Sierra Denali.

According to Reuters, US new vehicle sales were down by 2% in 2017 and are expected to continue to decline in 2018. And passenger car sales specifically declined 11% while SUVs, crossovers, and pickup trucks rose 4.3 percent.

It ought to be interesting to watch it play out. I do worry, though, that we will miss out on a lot of fun to drive hatchbacks and sportier daily drivers if this trend continues.

I suppose there is always the Civic.
        -Roseanne

California Dreamin'

Comment

It is not really that surprising. The profit margins on SUVs and CUVs is huge compared to passenger cars. If Ford and some other manufacturers drop out of passenger car sales, others manufacturers will pick up the slack.

Niche manufacturers like Mazda may be able to capitalize on Ford dropping out of the market.

This may also lead to companies like Ford partnering with other manufacturers to make cars for them and just rebranding the product. Toyota currently sells the Yaris iA which is just a rebadged Mazda2.
          S2K Days Attendee: Belterra, IN - 07 | Lake George, NY - 08 | San Francisco, CA - 09 | Asheville, NC - 10 | Keystone, SD - 11 | Golden, CO - 12 | Atlanta, GA - 13 | Hood River, OR - 14 | Cumberland Falls, KY - 15 | Durango, CO - 16 | Fredericksburg, TX - 17 | SoCal, CA - 18

Where have you driven your S2000?

Comment

Originally posted by 4U2NV View Post
            It is not really that surprising. The profit margins on SUVs and CUVs is huge compared to passenger cars. If Ford and some other manufacturers drop out of passenger car sales, others manufacturers will pick up the slack.

Niche manufacturers like Mazda may be able to capitalize on Ford dropping out of the market.

This may also lead to companies like Ford partnering with other manufacturers to make cars for them and just rebranding the product. Toyota currently sells the Yaris iA which is just a rebadged Mazda2.
            Mazda is owned by three companies. That is Mazda, Ford, and the Bank of Japan. Ford has sold a lot of their shares recently but they still are partial owners. Ford can drop sedans and Mazda (Ford) can continue making them. Shift the burden to somewhere else and maximize your profits.

Upcoming events:

Spring Fling 2019 - May 31-June 2, 2019 - Shamokin Dam, PA - We're doing it again! Registration will open December 01, 2018

Rock the Dragon 2019 - May 9-12, 2019.See you at the Dragon. Registration opens December 15, 2018.

Tomcatt 14 - June 14-16, 2019. Marietta, OH - Rt 26! Rt 555, Some of the best roads in the US. Registration is FREE Register HERE!

Great people, great times, great car.
            2003 Suzuka Blue #302 "Grovette"
            2008 ABP CR #400 of 699 "Grover"

C. H. Douglas

Comment

Roseanne, you will just have to import the smaller Fords from Europe!!! There is NO WAY IN HELL that Ford will drop the small cars from Europe....unless of course they really want to go out of business!!
              Jpn,Honda,Passenger,AP2,2dr convertible/6sp-manual,BaseModel,2007,Suzuka Plant,USA#699 - Laguna Blue Pearl

S2KDays Attended: Keystone SD 2011 | Golden CO 2012 | Hood River OR 2014 | Cumberland Falls KY 2015 | Durango CO 2016

Comment

Originally posted by MoS2000 View Post
                Roseanne, you will just have to import the smaller Fords from Europe!!! There is NO WAY IN HELL that Ford will drop the small cars from Europe....unless of course they really want to go out of business!!
                Yeah, that's not gonna happen (me importing a Euro-Ford). As has been shown, I'll just say fvck it and buy a little Korean car. Still kinda wish I had gotten the Mazda2 hatchback. But it's discontinued now anyway. And no, I don't want the rebranded one. It has a trunk.
                -Roseanne

California Dreamin'

Comment

It is no big lose as far as I'm concerned. Ford hasn't made a decent car that doesn't need major repairs in decades.
                  David...aka 'Scooots'

'09 S2K Chicane Silver Metallic #41
                  '06 S2K Laguna Blue Pearl #952 - Gone
                  '08 Civic SI Nighthawk Black Pearl - Gone
                  '11 Ford Ranger Sport
                  '55 Vespa 'Fender Light'
                  '57 Allstate (Vespa) 'Handle Bar'
                  '58 AllState (Vespa) 'Large Body'

Comment

Fiesta ST in the past 3-5 years has been an amazingly fun car though. And not awful on problems. I had opportunity to drive one for several weekends and I gotta say that if I owned one as a daily, I would probably have a lot more speeding tickets. Damn thing was just so much fun to drive. Nice gearbox too.
                    -Roseanne

California Dreamin'

Comment

GM is also dropping most of its car line as well. My big question is what happens when NASCAR is dominated by the Toyota Camry because there isn't an American sedan that "qualifies"? (I know they are all "car of tomorrow", but still...)

Also, what happens to the huge profits of the SUVs when you have to drop the price to bring in buyers who don't have anything affordable to buy?

02 Sebring Silver: Fujita F5 CAI, S2KCA Windshield Decal,
                      Modifry Dash Mounting Plate, XM Radio, Modifry Camera Mount, Keyhole Covers

Comment

From an inside contact - essentially new regulations are making it harder and harder to design and engineer cars. When they are finished, they look more like a crossover anyways. So, given the current state of the market and the growing e-power unit trend, the logical step is to just make everything a general toaster box driving down the road. Ford, for the first time in history, is trying to be a first mover rather than a last mover.

I think Ford is changing to the Mustang for NASCAR anyways...

Also, in the case of GM, don't let the profit margins fool you. GM barely breaks even globally until you factor in China. Then they make bank. Union and direct front office employees have been getting like a $12k profit share (on top of their contractual bonus) for 5 years running...Glad we bailed them out Speaking which, given how congressional budgets work, who's getting the $700 Billion/year these days? Cause it hasn't been removed yet...

To think, I could have dropped our of HS at 17 and got hire in on the line starting at $33/hour with 100% union subsidized pension match, and 100% employer paid health care with a $10 copay for anything and everything. That was a recent as 2003. Now, new hires get $11 and more than likely have to be hired through a temp agency. Anyway, I could write a whole novel about that subject. It was why I was the only person I knew growing up who drove a Honda...

Comment

Originally posted by R.Murphy View Post
                          Fiesta ST in the past 3-5 years has been an amazingly fun car though. And not awful on problems. I had opportunity to drive one for several weekends and I gotta say that if I owned one as a daily, I would probably have a lot more speeding tickets. Damn thing was just so much fun to drive. Nice gearbox too.
                          Similar experience for me, last year in England, trying out my nephews Focus ST.....insane acceleration and tossability.
                          Jpn,Honda,Passenger,AP2,2dr convertible/6sp-manual,BaseModel,2007,Suzuka Plant,USA#699 - Laguna Blue Pearl

S2KDays Attended: Keystone SD 2011 | Golden CO 2012 | Hood River OR 2014 | Cumberland Falls KY 2015 | Durango CO 2016

Comment

Working...
                          X