Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To: best practices to apply a static cling decal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To: best practices to apply a static cling decal.

The lifespan of a static cling decal is directly impacted by the quality of the material as well as proper installation of the decal. I recently had cause to do a lot of research on the topic and thought it might be helpful to share some of the information I learned.

How do I apply a small (eg: 2x4) cling decal to my car?

For best longevity, these clings are designed to be placed on the INSIDE of the vehicle glass. I recommend the windshield or wind deflector. Rear glass window is an option, but be aware that the defogger coils --if used frequently where you live-- may shorten the lifespan of your cling. Windows which roll down should be avoided as they can damage the cling.

Thoroughly clean the area where you plan to place the cling. Allow the surface to dry. Carefully remove cling from backing (do not get dust or dirt on it!). Apply lightly to the glass surface starting from the center of the cling and working your way out. Using a squeegee (avoid using credit cards as they can damage the cling), carefully squeegee out any air bubbles starting from the center of the cling and working your way to the outer edges. The cleaner the surface and the more carefully and thoroughly you remove any bubbles the longer the cling will last in your chosen location. You can remove and re-apply as needed, but be careful to not damage the cling when you do so. Follow the same methods as described to properly re-apply the cling.

P.S. No this post is NOT about how to acquire any kind of cling decal. This is a "how to" post. How to apply a cling decal. PLEASE do not ask in this thread how to get a cling decal because doing so may cause discussions which could result in the wholesale deletion of useful instructions that other people might want in about 2-3 days.
    -Roseanne

S2KDays: 2019 Gettysburg || 2018 SoCal || 2017 Fredericksburg || 2016 Durango || 2014 Hood River

Miscellaneous Musings:
    The most important lessons you need to know about life can be learned from a Weeble.

The only problem with telling people to live by the Golden Rule is that it fails to take into account the existence of Masochists.

Today I learned: The Golden Rule is a maxim which is found in almost every religion and culture in the world. For instance, in Christian sects, it is attributed to Matthew (7:12). In fact, 143 leaders of the world's major faiths endorsed the Golden Rule as part of the 1993 "Declaration Toward a Global Ethic." Essentially no religion misses it entirely, and a belief in God is not necessary to endorse it. So technically, it's not even really a religious thing at all.

Thank you Roseanne.
    Happiness is a nice road, great weather, and driving the S with Sue in the seat next to me.

"Whatever you do, where ever you go, enjoy the drive."

I know for a FACT that the last year of production of the S2000 is 2003!!!!!
    After that, it will be the S2200 under an assumed name.

Comment

I found out the hard way DO NOT use a razor blade to help removing a decal from the wind deflector. It works just fine on glass but the deflector is made of an acrylic and a blade will scratch it.

Comment

Ouch! Damn Bobby! There are some repair kits I've seen for scratched acrylic, you might try looking online. Hopefully you stopped pretty quick.
        2000 AP1 mods: Kraftwerks high boost supercharger kit, Proflow Design throttle body, AP2 transmission, Stage 2 Competition Clutch, KW Variant 3 coilovers, RM strut tower brace, MG Racing X brace, AP2 V1 wheels, AP2 rear wing, Moddiction heat shield, Hella horns, Custom fab cold air box, Ceramic coated exhaust manifold, Fujitsubo Legalis R dual exhaust, custom front splitter, and custom vented OEM hood.

Comment

Working...
        X