X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On This Day

Tuesday 16th June 1903

118 years ago

The Ford Motor Company was founded by Henry Ford and incorporated in Michigan, US. The corporation’s common stock was entirely owned by Henry Ford and a small group of local investors. In 1919, Henry Ford bought out all of these investors and reincorporated the company in the State of Delaware. From 1919 to 1956, all stock in the company was owned by members of the Ford Family, the Edison Institute and the Ford Foundation.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	574d69d43b233.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	1680304

Also, most appropriately, 50 years later...

On This Day

Tuesday 16th June 1953

68 years ago

Ford Rotunda, which had closed to the public during World War II, reopened on the company's 50th anniversary.

Name:	552fb4953488a.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	1680305
    -Roseanne

S2KDays: 2019 Gettysburg || 2018 SoCal || 2017 Fredericksburg || 2016 Durango || 2014 Hood River

Miscellaneous Musings:
    The most important lessons you need to know about life can be learned from a Weeble.

It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.
    -Eric Arthur Blair

If I could only give three words of advice, they would be, "tell the truth." If I got three more words, I'd add: "All the time."
    -Randy Pausch

Comment

• On This Day

Monday 17th June 1946

75 years ago

A driver in St. Louis, Missouri. pulled out a handset from under his car's dashboard, placed a phone call and made history. It was the first mobile telephone call. A team including Alton Dickieson and D. Mitchell from Bell Labs and future AT&T CEO H.I. Romnes, worked more than a decade to achieve this feat. By 1948, wireless telephone service was available in almost 100 cities and highway corridors. Customers included utilities, truck fleet operators and reporters.

However, with only 5,000 customers making 30,000 weekly calls, the service was far from commonplace. That "primitive" wireless network could not handle large call volumes. A single transmitter on a central tower provided a handful of channels for an entire metropolitan area. Between one and eight receiver towers handled the call return signals. At most, three subscribers could make calls at one time in any city. It was, in effect, a massive party line, where subscribers would have to listen first for someone else on the line before making a call. Expensive and far from "mobile", the service cost $15 per month, plus 30 to 40 cents per local call, and the equipment weighed 80 pounds.

Just as they would use a CB microphone, users depressed a button on the handset to talk and released it to listen. Improved technology after 1965 brought a few more channels, customer dialing and eliminated the cumbersome handset. But capacity remained so limited that Bell System officials rationed the service to 40,000 subscribers guided by agreements with state regulatory agencies. For example, 2,000 subscribers in New York City shared just 12 channels, and typically waited 30 minutes to place a call. It was wireless, but with "strings" attached.

Name:	574d7112dfd48.png
Views:	37
Size:	303.2 KB
ID:	1680321
      A Southwestern Bell foreman testing mobile telephone service, St. Louis, 1946.
      -Roseanne

S2KDays: 2019 Gettysburg || 2018 SoCal || 2017 Fredericksburg || 2016 Durango || 2014 Hood River

Miscellaneous Musings:
      The most important lessons you need to know about life can be learned from a Weeble.

-Eric Arthur Blair

If I could only give three words of advice, they would be, "tell the truth." If I got three more words, I'd add: "All the time."
      -Randy Pausch

Comment

• There was a lot to choose from in automotive history on this day, but this one resonated with me today so it got the nod.

On This Day
        Monday 18th June 1923

98 years ago

The first Checker cab was produced by the Checker Cab Manufacturing Company. The Checker name came from a Chicago cab company that in 1920 began buying cars manufactured by the Commonwealth Motor Company. The cab bodies for the Commonwealths were manufactured by the Markin Autobody Company of Joliet, Illinois. In 1921, Morris Markin absorbed Commonwealth into his own enterprise, and he subsequently discontinued all passenger-car manufacturing. He moved the new company, which he named Checker Cab Manufacturing Company, to Kalamazoo, Michigan, where he was able to take over factories previously used by the Handley-Knight and Dort automobile companies. By 1925, Checker, with a production of over 1,000 cabs per year, was the largest exclusive cab maker in the country. The firm's competition, John D. Hertz's Yellow Cab Company, continued to manufacture passenger cars.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Photo1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	120.3 KB ID:	1680335
        Early Checker Cab model. (c 1925)

In 1933, Checker briefly became a part of the Cord empire; then, in 1937, the SEC charged E.L. Cord and Morris Markin with manipulating the stock of Checker, Parmalee Motors, and Chicago Yellow Cab. Both men denied the charges but agreed to abide by a court order forbidding them to engage in any trading in violation of securities laws. The same day the court order was issued, Cord disposed of his shares in his far-flung automotive enterprises. Markin retained control of Checker, the only company that had been one of Cord's holdings to survive the liquidation.

In 1958, Checker released the Aerobus, a 12-passenger stretch cab intended for use as a ferry for air travelers. The following year, Checker returned to passenger-car production with the introduction of the Marathon, a car similar to the company's A8 taxi, introduced in 1956. Production of the Marathon never exceeded a few thousand units per year. Sales for the Marathon were largely limited to a handful of large cities, such as New York, and to the scattered few who liked the idea of owning a car that emphasized interior roominess and durability.

Checker was one of the few automotive manufacturing companies to boast a continuous run of production from the 1920s to the 1980s. In the early '80s, though, production fell to 3,000 units per year and the company was losing money. Checker had never enjoyed success in the replacement market because one of its earliest advertising claims--that "no Checker Cab has ever worn out"--was largely true. Also, economic conditions saw the taxicab companies convert to smaller, more fuel-efficient standard Detroit cars. The 4,000-pound Checker had become a dinosaur.

Click image for larger version  Name:	552faf401c909.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.2 KB ID:	1680334
        The iconic and most recognizable version of the Checker Cab.

For more information than you ever cared to have about Checker Motors and the Checker Cab models, check out wikipedia. The demise of the company is kind of sad. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checke...rs_Corporation
        -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

• Originally posted by R.Murphy View Post
          On This Day
          Sunday 14th June 1959
          Click image for larger version Name:	552eb5ec21560.jpg Views:	0 Size:	37.8 KB ID:	1680263
          I always need to remember this when driving in CA verse ID. Freeway onramps are on the right, not the left after crossing over the freeway.
          Happiness is a nice road, great weather, and driving the S with Sue in the seat next to me.

"Whatever you do, where ever you go, enjoy the drive."

I know for a FACT that the last year of production of the S2000 is 2003!!!!!
          After that, it will be the S2200 under an assumed name.

Comment

• On This Day
            Thursday 19th June 1902

119 years ago

The Locomotive & Machine Company of Montreal Ltd was founded - the firm evolved into Bombardier Inc - a manufacturer of off-road vehicles designed for winter conditions.

Click image for larger version  Name:	220px-BombardierSnowmobile-pjt.jpg Views:	0 Size:	9.3 KB ID:	1680351
            Bombardier snow coach, built in 1952
            (image credit: user Pjt56, via Wikipedia)

Click image for larger version  Name:	220px-BR100+sidea.jpg Views:	0 Size:	13.7 KB ID:	1680352
            Bombardier BR100+ Groomer, mid engine, hard cab model

Bombardier Museum

1951 Bombardier B12 Snow Bus Snowmobile

The Museum of Ingenuity J. Armand Bombardier is a museum in Valcourt, Quebec dedicated to the life of Joseph-Armand Bombardier and the snowmobile industry. Opened in 1971, with substantial renovations in 1990, the museum is professionally curated and features a wide array of Ski-Doos, other industrial designs, and a selection of related books, booklets and other items of interest to snowmobile enthusiasts.
            -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

• On This Day

Saturday 20th June 1903

118 years ago

American Barney Oldfield broke 60 mph with the Henry Ford-built ‘999’ at the Indianapolis Fairgrounds dirt oval. With a time of 59.6 seconds, Oldfield became the first person to officially drive a petrol-powered car at the ‘incredible’ speed of a mile a minute. His accomplishments led to the expression: ‘Who do you think you are? Barney Oldfield?’

Name:	5948c092d020a.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1680366
              1903 Barney Oldfield and Henry Ford 999 race car
              -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

• I appreciate these focused history lessons.

Comment

• On This Day

Saturday 21st June 1947

74 years ago

William Clay Ford married Martha Firestone, uniting two of the greatest fortunes in the American automotive industry. Henry Ford and Harvey Firestone had been close friends and allies during their lives after Firestone received the exclusive contract to supply tyres for Ford's Model T. Neither man lived to see the union of their families.

Name:	59410f8a9ec22.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1680393
                  Martha Firestone and Clay Ford
                  -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

• ..... which led to all vehicle needing TPMS after Firestone tires were exploding on Ford Explorers....
                    Happiness is a nice road, great weather, and driving the S with Sue in the seat next to me.

"Whatever you do, where ever you go, enjoy the drive."

I know for a FACT that the last year of production of the S2000 is 2003!!!!!
                    After that, it will be the S2200 under an assumed name.

Comment

• That's a Ford Exploder, according to one co-worker of mine.

Comment

• Originally posted by AZS2KDancer View Post
                        I appreciate these focused history lessons.
                        You're welcome. I enjoy the research and reading about various events that happened on this day in history. It's fun (but sometimes a tough choice) to pick one to highlight on any given day.
                        -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

• On This Day

Tuesday 22nd June 1915

106 years ago

'Volvo', which means 'I roll' in Latin, an appropriate name for the ball bearings from Swedish company, Svenska Kullagerfabriken (SKF), was officially registered as a brand name in Stockholm. Eleven years later in 1926, an SKF employee, Assar Gabrielsson, was eagerly campaigning the SKF board of directors to produce a Swedish car. Together with his friend Gustaf Larson, an engineer who had worked for Morris in England, they finally obtained SKF's go-ahead and financial backing, along with some factory space and the name Volvo. After dismissing initial suggestions of 'GL' or 'Larson', after their names, the 'Volvo' brand was first used on a car, the ÖV 4 – nicknamed Jakob - in 1927, and has been used ever since.

Name:	553006440f51c.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1680408
                          Volvo ÖV4 'Jakob'
                          -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

• On This Day

Saturday 23rd June 1923

98 years ago

Jordan's "Somewhere West of Laramie" magazine advertisement made its debut.

National advertising firms use Wyoming scenes as backdrops to pitch everything from yogurt to beer, even though the products are neither manufactured in Wyoming nor sold in any great quantity in the state. Ad agencies use Wyoming because they know there is an emotional dimension to advertising that motivates consumers to buy a particular product. This dimension doesn’t rely on price, quality or even special features of the product. Image sells the product. Consumers identify with the myths of the West and Wyoming. Ads incorporating these images sell merchandise.

Known as “image advertising,” the variety was unknown until 1923 when it was invented to sell a car. Indeed, the whole idea of image advertising was inspired by “somewhere west of Laramie” in 1923. Previously, car ads concentrated on practicalities—data on engine size, the number of forward gears, and special features such as side-curtains.

In 1916, Edward S. Jordan borrowed $200,000 and started an automobile factory in Cleveland, Ohio. Contrary to conventional wisdom, the Wisconsin-born entrepreneur believed he could make a substantial profit from a small volume of sales. In his plant, he assembled his cars using parts made by other manufacturers. Like the dozens of small companies making cars in those days, Jordan faced stiff competition from major automobile makers. It was hardly a contest. The mass-produced Ford, for instance, sold for about $500 while Jordan barely could cover costs by selling his models for five times that amount. His favorite model, the Jordan “Playboy,” was an undistinguished roadster, in features much the same as any other then on the market.

Sales flattened out in 1922 and Jordan, worried that his sales strategy might have been in error, decided to travel to the West Coast to relax and, perhaps, rethink his approach. How could his company survive in the face of stiff competition from dozens of other makers?

The 41-year-old car maker and a colleague from the company rode a Union Pacific passenger train. As the train was passing through southern Wyoming, Jordan glanced out the window. There, in the waning sunset, he saw a beautiful young woman riding her horse alongside the train for a short distance, as if to race the locomotive. The sight so impressed Jordan that he turned to his companion and asked where they were.

“Somewhere west of Laramie,” was the reply.

Throughout the rest of the trip, Jordan thought about the incident and the image of the fast horse and beautiful young woman racing the train. Back home, he sketched out an advertisement for his car using the phrase, “Somewhere west of Laramie.” The copy made no mention of the car’s price, its engine size or quality. The drawing, in abstract style, showed a young woman on a horse racing against the Jordan Playboy roadster.

The copy read:
                            "Somewhere west of Laramie there’s a broncho-busting, steer-roping girl who knows what I’m talking about. She can tell what a sassy pony, that’s a cross between greased lightning and the place where it hits, can do with eleven hundred pounds of steel and action when he’s going high, wide and handsome. The truth is—the Playboy was built for her. Built for the lass whose face is brown with the sun when the day is done of revel and romp and race. She loves the cross of the wild and the tame. There’s a savor of links about that car—of laughter and lilt and light—a hint of old loves—and saddle and quirt. It’s a brawny thing—yet a graceful thing for the sweep o’ of the Avenue. Step into the Playboy when the hour grows dull with things dead and stale. Then start for the land of real living with the spirit of the lass who rides, lean and rangy, into the red horizon of a Wyoming twilight."

Soon, sales of the Jordan Playboy roadster increased markedly and the company ran the ad in other mass-circulation magazines. The advertisement’s style and success did not go unnoticed. Soon, other auto makers copied the form of “image advertising.” Because of the ad, the Jordan sold well during the middle 1920s.

Unfortunately, the firm failed in 1931, one of the numerous auto company victims of the Great Depression. Jordan turned to consulting work and, later, wrote a column for a car magazine.

When he died in 1958, the New York Times obituary listed the ad as Jordan’s main accomplishment: “Its approach and colorful language set the pattern for modern automobile advertising,” the obituary noted. Jordan and his automobile faded into obscurity, but the advertisement became legendary. In 1945, readers of Printer’s Ink magazine voted it the third greatest advertisement of all time. Even today, advertising people point to “Somewhere west of Laramie” as one of the best ever produced.

Name:	SomewhereWestofLaramie.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	1680421

-Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

• Wow! Jordan must have tongue kissed the Blarney Stone.
                              Sure did put the capture into caption though, and with no consumers reports back then...
                              2000 AP1 mods: Kraftwerks high boost supercharger kit, Proflow Design throttle body, AP2 transmission, Stage 2 Competition Clutch, KW Variant 3 coilovers, RM strut tower brace, MG Racing X brace, AP2 V1 wheels, AP2 rear wing, Moddiction heat shield, Hella horns, Custom fab cold air box, Ceramic coated exhaust manifold, Fujitsubo Legalis R dual exhaust, custom front splitter, and custom vented OEM hood.

Comment

• I enjoyed the imagery. I mean, it was apropos of the time. Even now, a century later, I get the feeling of what he's going for. The want of adventure, connection with something deeper, a feeling of freedom which may be a mythical, non-existent thing that we all crave. And we imagine we capture it, if only for a short while, behind the wheel of a car or at the helm of some vehicle or in the arms of a lover.

Anyway, some have been fed greater lines of by lesser men than him and bought into it.
                                -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

• Originally posted by R.Murphy View Post
                                  I enjoyed the imagery. I mean, it was apropos of the time. Even now, a century later, I get the feeling of what he's going for. The want of adventure, connection with something deeper, a feeling of freedom which may be a mythical, non-existent thing that we all crave. And we imagine we capture it, if only for a short while, behind the wheel of a car or at the helm of some vehicle or in the arms of a lover.

Anyway, some have been fed greater lines of by lesser men than him and bought into it.
                                  What it all boils down to though is absolutely nothing of fact or weight but a whole bunch of pretty words and a generous amount of alliterative schmaltz.
                                  In other words pure advertising genius!

2000 AP1 mods: Kraftwerks high boost supercharger kit, Proflow Design throttle body, AP2 transmission, Stage 2 Competition Clutch, KW Variant 3 coilovers, RM strut tower brace, MG Racing X brace, AP2 V1 wheels, AP2 rear wing, Moddiction heat shield, Hella horns, Custom fab cold air box, Ceramic coated exhaust manifold, Fujitsubo Legalis R dual exhaust, custom front splitter, and custom vented OEM hood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stuka View Post

What it all boils down to though is absolutely nothing of fact or weight but a whole bunch of pretty words and a generous amount of alliterative schmaltz.
                                    I think you just described 90% of life as we now know it, and that's if we're lucky.
                                    -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

• On This Day

Sunday 24th June 1900

121 years ago

Oliver Lippincott became the first motorist in Yosemite National Park, when he drove there in his Locomobile steamer. Lippincott would start a trend with his visit, as motorists increasingly chose to drive to National Parks, avoiding the more time-consuming train and coach rides.

By 1901, a number of other motorists had made the trip to Yosemite, mostly in Locomobiles. A personal account survives from motorist William A Clark, who, with his wife, drove the fifth car into the park. Clark, who travelled from San Francisco, eloquently expressed the miraculous feeling of climbing to the elevation of 7,500 feet above sea level on the Big Oak Flat Road: "Individually, our souls were inspired; mentally, we were enchanted; personally, we could say nothing, for words fail when the Creator lays before us the sublime in the highest sense." Of his arrival into the Yosemite Valley, Clark described a less sublime, but equally sympathetic, brand of satisfaction: "We ran our machine into the midst of a circle of Eastern tourists, seated around a large campfire. To say that the apparition of an automobile suddenly appearing among them called forth general applause and hearty congratulations but feebly expresses it."

The automobile is in large part responsible for creating the uniquely American culture of the National Park.

Name:	575560190fe85.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1680437
                                      Oliver Lippincott and his Locomobile in Yosemite
                                      -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

• On This Day
                                        Monday 26th June 2017

4 years ago

S2KDays 2017 Fredericksburg, Texas. What a great event that was. Short of being in Lebanon, KS, we were about as close to the middle of the country as one could be. We had exciting hill country adventures and stayed at a very special hotel which I think everyone enjoyed a lot. I keep hoping to go back, but there are still so many other places I haven't seen yet. I'm on the hotel's mailing list though, and I get updates about their events at the Hangar Hotel. Sean and John did a nice job of picking the venue and making arrangements. I think many attendees had no idea that so many exciting roads like that existed in Texas.

Anyway, here are some reminder pictures:

Name:	image_689.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	4.96 MB
ID:	1680484

Name:	20170626_090120.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	1680485

Name:	image_687.jpg
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	1680486

Name:	20170626_090049.jpg
Size:	330.1 KB
ID:	1680487The artwork was really pretty darn good on this.
                                        -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

• Here is a video clip from our S2KDays 2017 - Fredericksburg, Twisted Sisters Drive on June 26th, 2017. The Texas hill country is spectacular! I'm sure I will make another trip back to visit friends and explore the area again.

S2K Days Attendee: Belterra, IN - 07 | Lake George, NY - 08 | San Francisco, CA - 09 | Asheville, NC - 10 | Keystone, SD - 11 | Golden, CO - 12 | Atlanta, GA - 13 | Hood River, OR - 14 | Cumberland Falls, KY - 15 | Durango, CO - 16 | Fredericksburg, TX - 17 | SoCal, CA - 18 | Gettysburg, PA - 19

Where have you driven your S2000?

Comment

Working...
                                          X