On This Day in Automotive History.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were you driving Stiletto?
    Some of the nicest drives out there in the PNW.
    S2KDays: 2018 SoCal || 2017 Fredericksburg || 2016 Durango || 2014 Hood River || 2011 Black Hills

Comment

• Originally posted by gomarlins3 View Post
      We just saw the Stonehenge replica from the Oregon side last Friday. We drove past the Hood River hotel and saw the lookout point (Vista House) on the Oregon side.
      Sounds like a lovely trip. Good thing it was last Friday and not today! Supposed to hit 103 degrees F today there. Yikes.

I have a lot of wonderful memories of that trip in 2014. Driving down the coast, slowly heading toward home, the big trees, the amazing coastline. Tillamook ice cream was pretty danged tasty too.
      -Roseanne

S2KDays: 2019 Gettysburg || 2018 SoCal || 2017 Fredericksburg || 2016 Durango || 2014 Hood River

Miscellaneous Musings:
      The most important lessons you need to know about life can be learned from a Weeble.

It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.
      -Eric Arthur Blair

If I could only give three words of advice, they would be, "tell the truth." If I got three more words, I'd add: "All the time."
      -Randy Pausch

Comment

• Originally posted by s2kbobby View Post
        Were you driving Stiletto?
        Some of the nicest drives out there in the PNW.
        No, we took the Accord to Newport for a wedding. 19 hours of driving for 22 hours at the hotel. Kind of got screwed on that deal. The drove from Corvalis to Newport and then (on the way back home) Newport to Bend would have been fun in Stiletto, but I84 and I5 is a cruiser's road, not a driver's road.

Plus I could get over and back on 2 tanks (37 MPG) in the Accord.
        Happiness is a nice road, great weather, and driving the S with Sue in the seat next to me.

"Whatever you do, where ever you go, enjoy the drive."

I know for a FACT that the last year of production of the S2000 is 2003!!!!!
        After that, it will be the S2200 under an assumed name.

Comment

• On This Day
          Saturday 31st July 1971

50 years ago

David R Scott and James B Irwin during the Apollo 15 mission drove the Lunar Roving Vehicle (LVR) 17.2 miles to the edge of Hadley Rille on the surface of the Moon, the first time that an 'automobile' had been driven in an alien world. LVR was a battery-powered four-wheeled rover used on the Moon in the last three missions of the American Apollo program (15, 16, and 17) during 1971 and 1972. It was popularly known as the moon buggy, a play on the phrase "dune buggy". The rovers were designed with a top speed of about 8 mph (13 km/h), although Eugene Cernan (Apollo 17 - April 1972) recorded a maximum speed of 11.2 mph (18.0 km/h), giving him the (unofficial) lunar land-speed record. LRVs were transported to the Moon on the Apollo Lunar Modules (LM) and, once unpacked on the surface, could carry one or two astronauts, their equipment, and lunar samples.

Click image for larger version

Name:	579daba3e982e.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	1681124
          Lunar Roving Vehicle (LVR)
          -Roseanne

S2KDays: 2019 Gettysburg || 2018 SoCal || 2017 Fredericksburg || 2016 Durango || 2014 Hood River

Miscellaneous Musings:
          The most important lessons you need to know about life can be learned from a Weeble.

-Eric Arthur Blair

If I could only give three words of advice, they would be, "tell the truth." If I got three more words, I'd add: "All the time."
          -Randy Pausch

Comment

• I am glad you posted that. For years, I have believed that they tested the Moon Buggy here in Idaho at Craters of the Moon, but researching it just now, I find that only the astronauts were here for rock training, not the buggy. I learned something about my state today, thank you.
            Happiness is a nice road, great weather, and driving the S with Sue in the seat next to me.

Comment

• I'm glad it brought you some joy. One of the things I love about doing these posts is it prompts me to do a bit of research. I try to fact check before sharing, the backstories are often really interesting, and I learn so much. Granted, a bit of it is useless trivia, but so much of it is really interesting.

There have been several times I have been disappointed that what I wanted to share had mistakes in it or was just wrong. But there is always another interesting story to follow and post instead of the bad info, or I just share the corrections I find so it's accurate.
              -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

• On This Day -- 14 years ago

August 1, 2007 – I-35 bridge collapses during rush hour

Name:	I35_Bridge_Collapse_4crop.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	1681133By Mike Wills – Flickr, CC BY-SA 2.0

During the evening rush hour on this day in 2007, the 40-year-old I-35 Mississippi River Bridge in Minneapolis, Minnesota suddenly collapsed. The resulting catastrophe caused 13 deaths and 145 injuries. During the collapse, the structure and deck fell into the river and onto the riverbanks below. The southern traffic crossing fell 81 feet eastward in the collapse. In total, there were 111 vehicles involved, the farthest falling 115 feet down to the river or onto its banks. Northern sections of the bridge fell into a rail yard, landing on three unoccupied and stationary freight cars.

The National Transportation Safety Board cited gusset plates that were too thin as the cause of the collapse of the bridge, which at the time was MInnesota’s third busiest bridge carrying more than 140,000 cars per day. The report stated that the gusset plates had ripped along a line of rivets and this issue, coupled with the additional weight of rush hour traffic, contributed to the failure of the bridge. The crossing was ultimately replaced by the I-35 Saint Anthony Falls Bridge, which opened September 18, 2008.

Source:
                https://automotivehistory.org/august...ing-rush-hour/
                -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

• These retrospective firsthand accounts are really very thought provoking.

KARE-11 interviewed many of the survivors and you can find the videos on YouTube. The subject matter is very human, gripping, and emotional.
                  -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

• ^Scary.

Comment

• On This Day

Monday 2nd August 1943

78 years ago

The Gestapo arrested two-time winner of the French Grand Prix, William Grover-Williams, a British secret agent who raced as ‘W Williams’, in France. Following the Nazi occupation of France in World War II, Grover-Williams fled to England where he joined the Royal Army Service Corps. Due to his fluency in French and English he was recruited into the Special Operations Executive (SOE) to foster the French Resistance. He recruited fellow racing driver Robert Benoist and together they worked in the Paris region to build up a successful circuit of operatives, forming sabotage cells and reception committees for Allied parachute operations. Grover-Williams was executed at Sachsenhausen concentration camp in the spring of 1945 along with Francis Suttill, another important SOE network leader. However, there is a theory that Grover-Williams may have survived the war, and lived on under an assumed identity as "Georges Tambal" who allegedly lived with Grover-Williams' widow for many years.

Name:	578d4365e0486.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	1681151
                      William Grover-Williams
                      -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

• Also on this day...

On This Day

Sunday 2nd August 1964

57 years ago

The first grand prix car with a transversely mounted twelve-cylinder engine, the 1.5 litre Honda RA271, made its debut, at the 1964 German Grand Prix. The Honda RA271 was Honda's second Formula One racing car, and its first to actually enter a race. It was developed around Honda's revolutionary F1 engine, a 1.5 L V12, at a time when V8s dominated the F1 paddock, as constructed by BRM, Climax, Ferrari and ATS. The only other major manufacturer deviating from the received V8 wisdom were Ferrari, who experimented with both V6 and flat-12 layouts, although they ultimately elected to stick with their V8. No other manufacturers were running V12s at the time.

The RA271 made its race debut during the 1964 Formula One season, just one year after Honda started producing road cars, and was the first Japanese-built car ever to enter a round of the FIA Formula One World Championship. The car was initially entered for the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps, but the car was not ready in time. The car actually competed for the first time at the German Grand Prix. As well as Honda's F1 debut, this race was also the debut for their American driver Ronnie Bucknum, and to make things even trickier the race took place on the daunting Nürburgring circuit, widely considered to be one of the most demanding in the world. Of the 24 entrants, only the fastest 22 would qualify. Bucknum was lucky to qualify as he ended the practice sessions third slowest. The two non-qualifiers were the Scirocco-Climax of Belgian driver André Pilette, which was hopelessly off the pace, and Carel Godin de Beaufort, who was killed during the session in a tragic accident at the wheel of his privately entered Porsche 718. Bucknum was some 20 seconds slower than the next slowest competitor, Giancarlo Baghetti at the wheel of a BRM, and almost a minute off the pole time of John Surtees's Ferrari.

Despite a poor qualifying, Bucknum had a better race and consistently ran just outside the top ten throughout the race, ahead of many of the independent Lotus and BRM entrants. Despite a spin late in the race, allowing Richie Ginther's BRM to pass him, the reliability of the Honda allowed him to finish 13th as many of his rivals broke down (or crashed in Peter Revson's case), four laps behind winner Surtees. The team then missed the Austrian Grand Prix before returning for the Italian Grand Prix at the iconic Autodromo Nazionale Monza. Bucknum's qualifying was greatly improved as he qualified 10th, ahead of the Brabham of double world champion Jack Brabham and comfortably clear of the mark required to qualify for the race as one of the 20 fastest drivers. He was only three seconds shy of Surtees, who was the pole sitter once again, and this marked a huge improvement for the Japanese team.

Although a poor start left him down in 16th, he quickly climbed through the field and ran as high as 7th before a brake failure forced him out of the race on lap 13. His ability to keep pace with the works BRM and Brabham cars in this race gave great hope for the future of Honda in F1. The next race was the United States Grand Prix at Watkins Glen. As there were only 19 entrants, there was no threat of failing to qualify, and Bucknum was well within three seconds of Jim Clark's pole time for Lotus. The high quality of the field, however, meant that he was down in 14th place, although he did outqualify 1961 world champion Phil Hill, now driving for Cooper. He once again ran the race just outside the top ten, fighting for long periods with the Lotuses of Walt Hansgen (works) and Mike Hailwood (RPR) and Richie Ginther's BRM.

However, on lap 51 a cylinder head gasket in one of the Honda's twelve cylinders failed, and Bucknum was out of the race. This was to be the end of Honda's debut season, as they did not travel to the final race in Mexico City. The RA271 was replaced for 1965 by the RA272, so its best result remains 13th place at its debut race in Germany. Its best grid place was Bucknum's 10th place at Monza.

Name:	962px-2006_SAG_-_F1_Honda_RA271_1964_-02.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	1681153
                        Photo credit: CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=625309
                        -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

• On This Day
                          Sunday 3rd August 1997

24 years ago

History was made in the Trans-Am series when Tommy Kendall drove his Mustang to victory at Watkins Glen, New York. This was his ninth straight SCCA Trans-Am win, breaking Mark Donohue's record.

RM Note: Watkins Glen was also the site of Kendall's horrific crash in the Chevrolet Intrepid GTP car in 1991. Two crashes that year (one fatal) caused the course to be changed in 1992, adding the "bus stop" chicane between turns 4 and 5. I remember watching that 1991 IMSA race live on TV and thinking that it was very, very bad. I actually got up and left the room. That he was even able to walk again after that crash is a bit of a medical miracle. He went on to race again, as you can see, and break records. If you can stomach watching a bad crash, here is the footage: https://youtu.be/z2r4zXFfQI8

Click image for larger version  Name:	TK-head-shot-1997-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.8 KB ID:	1681172
                          Tommy Kendall -- 1997

Click image for larger version  Name:	Tommy Kendall Roush Mustang Hero Card.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.2 KB ID:	1681173
                          Tommy Kendall "Hero Card"
                          -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

• ^Wow, that was most definitely a bad crash. The worst I have ever seen is Romain Grosjean's last F1 race. I still have that saved on my DVR. To think that he got himself out of the car and only had burns to his hands was a miracle. Again, if you don't like too see crashes, do not click.

**Warning: language** https://youtu.be/7YMjw2sjXqU

Comment

• ^^ Yeah, fire definitely is the worst thing to see in a track crash. The new safety equipment is amazing. But still, that one... you do wonder how he made it out alive with so few injuries.

The 1991 Tommy Kendall crash really is etched in my memory. A friend of mine was over and we were watching the race. Our respective spouses were at the track on the pit crew for one of the teams. There was a crash earlier in the race and my friend was kind of freaked out about it. But the nature of the impact was such that anyone who had been watching racing would know that the driver was probably perfectly fine. If I recall correctly, the car of Raul Boesel spun and went into a barrier back end first. So I explained to my friend that there was a wing, a bunch of suspension parts, and an engine to absorb a lot of the energy of the impact and that the driver would be okay inside the cockpit. And I proceeded to tell her that the absolute worst kind of crash in these cars would be nose in first to something rigid. The fronts of those cars had the least amount of protection. In fact, that was how Dennis Aase broke his leg and foot while testing the Toyota GTP car for All American Racers. So I thought I was being helpful to explain that tail-end in... no problem. Nose in... BIG problem. Track got cleaned up, racing resumed. All was fine. Then Tommy Kendall crashed. And I just got up and went into the kitchen.

Tommy was about my age; early 20s, entire life ahead of him. And he was a damn fast road racing driver. Thoughtful in his driving style and definitely had a strong future. He was a local SoCal guy and I had met him at many events. I knew he was engaged to be married. And at that moment I knew I had watched something terrible happen to this guy. He was a bit of mess. The damage to his legs and feet was severe, but he went on to recover and returned to racing. He was still great, but his body was never fully 100% after that. I sometimes wonder just exactly how great he could have been had it not been for a part on his racecar which some questioned the level of engineering that had gone into it.
                              -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

• Head in is definitely scary. There was an Indy car race earlier this season where the throttle got stuck open (I didn't know that could still happen) and Felix Rosenqvist hit the tire wall nose first. Felix was out for the next day's race and the following race, but is back to racing this season. Not nearly as bad as Tommy Kendall's obviously, but like you said- the engineering is so much better now than when Tommy had his crash. https://youtu.be/_j3jfoAwQ7I

Comment

• A well-designed professional logo is worth its weight in gold.

On This Day

Saturday 4th August 1923

98 years ago

The American LaFrance Fire Engine Company of Elmira, New York registered its stylised name with a Maltese Cross as a trademark.

Name:	5b6411a12434d.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	1681199
                                  -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

• On This Day
                                    Monday 5th August 1991

30 years ago

Sochiro Honda, founder of the Honda Motor Company, died at the age of 84.

In 1937, Honda founded Tōkai Seiki to produce piston rings for Toyota. During World War II, a US B-29 bomber attack destroyed Tōkai Seiki's Yamashita plant in 1944 and the Itawa plant collapsed in the 1945 Mikawa earthquake. After the war, Honda sold the salvageable remains of the company to Toyota for ¥450,000 and used the proceeds to found the Honda Technical Research Institute in October 1946. In 1948 he started producing a complete motorized bicycle, the Type A, which was driven by the first mass-produced engine designed by Honda, and was sold until 1951. The Type D in 1949 was a true motorcycle with a pressed-steel frame designed and produced by Honda and with a 2-stroke, 98 cc (6.0 cu in) 3 hp (2.2 kW) engine, and became the very first model in the Dream series of motorcycles.The Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan (Japanese) lists both the Type A and the Type D models as two of their 240 Landmarks of Japanese Automotive Technology.

As president of the Honda Motor Company, Soichiro Honda turned the company into a billion-dollar multinational that produced the best-selling motorcycles in the world. Honda's engineering and marketing skills resulted in Honda motorcycles outselling Triumph and Harley-Davidson in their respective home markets. The next year, Honda was reacquainted with Takeo Fujisawa, whom he knew during his days as a supplier of piston rings to Nakajima Aircraft Company. Honda hired Fujisawa, who oversaw the financial side of the company and helped the firm expand. In 1959, Honda Motorcycles opened its first dealership in the United States.

Honda remained president until his retirement in 1973, where he stayed on as director and was appointed "supreme advisor" in 1983. His status was such that People magazine placed him on their "25 Most Intriguing People of the Year" list for 1980, dubbing him "the Japanese Henry Ford." In retirement, Honda busied himself with work connected with the Honda Foundation.

(RM note: For more information about the Honda Foundation, https://www.hondafoundation.jp/en/prospectus.html )

Click image for larger version  Name:	0_-Jf3YMIeyVq6Rpta.jpg Views:	0 Size:	287.6 KB ID:	1681212
                                    -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

• Love the Honda post!
                                      S2K Days Attendee: Belterra, IN - 07 | Lake George, NY - 08 | San Francisco, CA - 09 | Asheville, NC - 10 | Keystone, SD - 11 | Golden, CO - 12 | Atlanta, GA - 13 | Hood River, OR - 14 | Cumberland Falls, KY - 15 | Durango, CO - 16 | Fredericksburg, TX - 17 | SoCal, CA - 18 | Gettysburg, PA - 19

Where have you driven your S2000?

Comment

• Originally posted by 4U2NV View Post
                                        Love the Honda post!
                                        He lived a productive and long life. And I'm thankful that we are able to enjoy the fruits of his labor.
                                        -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

• As kids, my brother and I had mini-bikes. We would dream about bigger motorcycles and often go down to our neighborhood Honda motorcycle dealer to admire and sit on bigger bikes. We had big dreams.

Comment

Working...
                                          X