X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On This Day

Tuesday 1st September 1903

118 years ago

Massachusetts became the first U.S. state to issue automobile license plates. The very first plate, featuring the number "1," was issued to Frederick Tudor - one of his relatives still holds an active registration on the plate. Early Massachusetts license plates were made of iron and covered in a porcelain enamel. The background was colored a cobalt blue and the number was in white. Along the top of the plate, also in white, were the words: "MASS. The size of the plate was not constant; it grew wider as the plate number reached into the tens, hundreds, and thousands. As automobiles began to crowd the roads, it was necessary for all states to find ways to start regulating cars, drivers, and traffic.

RMurphy NOTE:
    While Massachusetts was the first state to actually manufacture and assign license plates, NY had been requiring owners to register their cars and make their own license plates beginning in 1901.

License plate history is interesting. Apparently Pennsylvania had the earliest version of state-issued vanity plates; they allowed the addition of the owner's initials to the assigned numbers.

10 Facts About The History Of License Plates...
    https://www.hotcars.com/best-facts-a...lates-history/

Click image for larger version

Name:	feature-license-plates.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	1681686
    -Roseanne

S2KDays: 2019 Gettysburg || 2018 SoCal || 2017 Fredericksburg || 2016 Durango || 2014 Hood River

Miscellaneous Musings:
    The most important lessons you need to know about life can be learned from a Weeble.

It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.
    -Eric Arthur Blair

If I could only give three words of advice, they would be, "tell the truth." If I got three more words, I'd add: "All the time."
    -Randy Pausch

Comment

• On This Day
      Monday 2nd September 1963

58 years ago

Donna Mae Mims, driving an Austin Healey won the Class H Production Race in Thompson, Connecticut, US to become the first woman to win a SCCA Class Championship.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Donna_Mae_Mims.jpg Views:	1 Size:	16.5 KB ID:	1681711
      Photo Credit: By unknown - http://www.barcboys.com/DriversM.htm
      Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=24671925
      Last edited by R.Murphy; 09-02-2021, 01:43 PM. Reason: Corrected misspelling
      -Roseanne

S2KDays: 2019 Gettysburg || 2018 SoCal || 2017 Fredericksburg || 2016 Durango || 2014 Hood River

Miscellaneous Musings:
      The most important lessons you need to know about life can be learned from a Weeble.

-Eric Arthur Blair

If I could only give three words of advice, they would be, "tell the truth." If I got three more words, I'd add: "All the time."
      -Randy Pausch

Comment

• On This Day
        Monday 3rd September 1962

59 years ago

The Trans-Canada highway, 4,800 miles from St John’s, Newfoundland to Victoria, British Columbia, opened to traffic, after the final stretch through Rogers Pass was finally completed. Mr. A.D. Booth, a truck driver from Salmon Arm B.C., was one of the first to drive the “spectacular new road” when he transported 264 crates of sun-sweet strawberries to eager Calgary fruit buyers.

Built between 1949 and 1970, the 7,821 kilometres long Trans-Canada Highway was a complex and expensive undertaking, which resulted in numerous major engineering achievements. It boosted the country’s economy by strengthening the road construction industry, improving the transportation of Canadian manufactured goods, increasing inter-provincial trade and enhancing the ability of Canadians to travel. It also had a direct impact on the economy of communities along its route which became better connected both regionally and nationally. By linking the country physically from the East to the West, the Trans-Canada Highway has enduring symbolic value for Canadians. The construction of this two-lane highway, undivided except near major cities, required a great deal of negotiation between the provinces and the federal government as disputes arose over funding, construction standards, and even the route the highway was to follow. In addition, without the daring, originality, imagination and meticulous knowledge of its engineers, the Trans-Canada would never have been completed.

While the construction of a usable and safe highway to the same standards across the country was the greatest accomplishment of the engineering firms involved, the construction of remarkable engineering structures to accommodate Canada’s diverse geography also proved immensely challenging. From an economic standpoint, the construction of the Trans-Canada was a success. It resulted in an increased demand for metal structures, concrete, bitumen, construction materials, gravel and sand, as well as a boom in the bridge and road construction industry. In addition, it provided various sectors of the economy with improved road access to Canadian, as well as foreign markets. Furthermore, by improving Canadians’ mobility, the Trans-Canada also helped to increase interregional travel and encouraged Canadians to explore their own country.

In local terms, the Trans-Canada had an impact on the destiny of regions along its route. Depending on the region it served, “Canada’s new Main Street” could enrich, impoverish, or increase the drawing power of an individual community or affect a region’s position within the country. The Trans-Canada also had a significant symbolic value for Canadians, similar to that of the transcontinental railway. By conquering Canada’s vast expanse, it ensured the triumph of automobile culture and made a lasting impression on the Canadian imagination. For many Canadians, this highway became the road of freedom and adventure. For John Diefenbaker (Canada’s Prime Minister from 1957-1963), the Trans-Canada was a milestone which increased Canadian’s sense of oneness and instilled a renewed sense of national unity.

Name:	Map-Trans-Canada-Highway.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1681739
        Trans-Canada Highway, principal highway of Canada and the world’s longest national road. The road extends west-east between the Pacific and Atlantic coasts across the breadth of the country for 4,860 miles (7,821 km), between Victoria (Vancouver Island, British Columbia) and St. John’s (Newfoundland, Newfoundland and Labrador). It passes through all 10 Canadian provinces, links many of the country’s leading cities, and allows access to important national and provincial parks.
        -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

• On This Day

Wednesday 4th September 1935

86 years ago

The White Motor Company of Cleveland, Ohio introduced the world's first streamlined truck.

Name:	13125.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	567.1 KB
ID:	1681750

And then also on this day, sadly...

On This Day

Thursday 4th September 1980

41 years ago

The White Motor Company filed for Chapter XI bankruptcy protection.
          -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

• On This Day

Thursday 5th September 1957

64 years ago

The New York Times writer Gilbert Millstein gave a rave review to "On the Road," the second novel (hardly anyone had read the first) by a 35-year-old Columbia dropout named Jack Kerouac. "Jack went to bed obscure," Kerouac's girlfriend told a reporter, "and woke up famous." "On the Road" is an autobiographical novel about a series of cross-country automobile trips that Kerouac made between 1947 and 1950, both by himself and with his friend Neal Cassady.

Name:	57a2f23f3d229.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1681765
            -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

• "The Sea Is My Brother" was his first novel, but not published until much later (after he died).
              "The Town and The City" (his second novel) was his first published novel. ( A real doorstop at 1100 pages.)
              "On The Road" was actually his third.

"Live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry" -Jack Kerouac
              2000 AP1 mods: Kraftwerks high boost supercharger kit, Proflow Design throttle body, AP2 transmission, Stage 2 Competition Clutch, KW Variant 3 coilovers, RM strut tower brace, MG Racing X brace, AP2 V1 wheels, AP2 rear wing, Moddiction heat shield, Hella horns, Custom fab cold air box, Ceramic coated exhaust manifold, Fujitsubo Legalis R dual exhaust, custom front splitter, and custom vented OEM hood.

Comment

• On This Day

Sunday 6th September 1970

51 years ago

The Ontario Motor Speedway, California staged its first event, the California 500, an Indycar event won by Jimmy McElreath in a Coyote-Ford. It was the first and only automobile racing facility built to accommodate major races sanctioned by all of the four dominant racing sanctioning bodies: USAC (and now IndyCar Series) for open-wheel oval car races; NASCAR for a 500-mile (800 km) oval stock car races; NHRA for drag races; and FIA for Formula One road course races. Constructed in less than two years, the track opened in August 1970 and was considered state of the art at the time.

The first full year of racing included the Indy-style open wheel Inaugural California 500 on September 6, 1970; the Miller High Life 500 stock car race on February 28, 1971, the Super Nationals drag race on November 21, 1970 and the Questor Grand Prix on March 28, 1971. Each of these inaugural races drew attendance second only to their established counterparts, the USAC Indianapolis 500, the NASCAR Daytona 500, the NHRA U.S. Nationals, and the U.S. Formula One race at Watkins Glen. The track was purchased for real estate development by Chevron Land Company in late 1980 and demolished at a cost of $3 million in 1981. It is estimated that the 800-acre (3.2 km2) facility, with 155,000 permanent seats and an air-conditioned private stadium club would have a replacement cost in 2009 of over $350 million.

Name:	57a301ec1441a.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	1681785
                Ontario Motor Speedway
                -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

• On This Day

Monday 7th September 1987

34 years ago

Ford announced it had acquired a majority shareholder (75%) of the luxury sports car marque, Aston Martin.

Name:	5543e775add36.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	1681794

NOTE: In 2007, Ford sold Aston Martin.
                  -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

• Just watched Hitchcock's "The Birds" yesterday for the umpteenth time. What a gas it must have been to drive that Aston Martin DB 2/4 Drop Head Coupe up Highway 1 north of San Francisco to Bodega Bay back in the Sixties. (And what a shoehorn job it must have been to put Rod Taylor, Tippi Hedren, the Grandmother and the Daughter in the car with the top up for the final drive away scene), 2/4 indeed! I wonder if it was a mock up of the car for the shot?
                    Sweet car though (for two)!
                    2000 AP1 mods: Kraftwerks high boost supercharger kit, Proflow Design throttle body, AP2 transmission, Stage 2 Competition Clutch, KW Variant 3 coilovers, RM strut tower brace, MG Racing X brace, AP2 V1 wheels, AP2 rear wing, Moddiction heat shield, Hella horns, Custom fab cold air box, Ceramic coated exhaust manifold, Fujitsubo Legalis R dual exhaust, custom front splitter, and custom vented OEM hood.

Comment

• Yes! I remember that scene and wondering how they got all of them in the car.
                      S2KDays: 2018 SoCal || 2017 Fredericksburg || 2016 Durango || 2014 Hood River || 2011 Black Hills

Comment

• On This Day

Tuesday 8th September 1925

96 years ago

The 2,000,000th Chevrolet was produced, a Superior Series K 2-door Coach.

NOTE: And if the local Mississippi newspapers in 1926 were accurate, it looks like the 2 millionth Chevy climbed the steps to the capitol building there in March of 1926.

Name:	capitol001.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	373.9 KB
ID:	1681809
                        Two Millionth Chevy Climbs Capitol Steps

The two millionth Chevrolet produced by the Chevrolet Motor company recently climbed the steps of the new state capitol building at Jackson, Mississippi, while members of the adjourning state legislature viewed the performance.

A heavy rain preceding the event made the climb at a 45 degree angle, hazardous, but failed to scatter a crowd of more than 7,000 which waited throughout the downpour. Burned patches of rubber on the steps marked the progress of the coach up the steep incline, indicating the power necessary to make the ascent.

The climb had been negotiated only once before and several powerful types of cars recently failed to arrive at the top.

Many members of the legislature, themselves Chevrolet owners, greeted G. Porter Dukes, service manager of the Capitol Chevrolet company, local distributors, as he reached the summit of the capitol entrance. Several ornament[al] stone [pylons] on the ascent caused the car to proceed slowly and added to the difficulty of the feat.

After once making the climb, the car backed down, demonstrating the holding power of its brakes, and then repeated the demonstration. The car was a regular stock model and because of being the 2,000,000th Chevrolet produced, had been shipped to various cities of the country for exhibition. The Capitol Chevrolet company planned the stunt as a final showing of the car before selling it to a resident of Jackson.

A parade of several hundred Chevrolet automobiles, driven by their owners and headed by the mounted police division of Jackson and the demonstrating car, preceded the exhibition at the Capitol. Mayor Scott, City Commissioner Hawkins, and R. F. Hicks, assistant Chevrolet zone sales manager gave brief talks on completion of the ascent.

Daily Clarion Ledger, May 2, 1926

Above story clipped from https://misspreservation.com/2015/12...capitol-steps/
                        -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

• September 9, 1954 – Birth of the T-Bird

Ford’s answer to the Corvette, the Thunderbird, began rolling off assembly lines on this day in 1954 for the 1955 model year. The Thunderbird, while aligned to compete with Chevrolet’s sports car, was positioned as a personal luxury vehicle. Ford emphasized its new car’s comfort and convenience, letting shoppers discover its sportiness during the test drive. It worked. The Thunderbird outsold Covette more than 20 to 1 in 1955.

Though the two-seater found continued success through 1957, engineers and designers at Ford thought they could sell far more than 23,000 of the cars. Executive Robert McNamara called for a four seater, thinking the two seats would limit the car’s salability. Again, Ford hit it out of the park. While the two-seat Thunderbird sold around 60,000 units between 1955 and 1957, approximately 200,000 four seaters sold in the next three years. Chevrolet, on the other hand, stuck to their guns and responded to the initial success of the T-Bird by offering a V8 option for the Corvette in 1955, sealing the vehicle’s fate to become “America’s Sports Car.“

The final generation of the Thunderbird was produced from 2002-2005.
                          The Thunderbird was a versatile car for Ford, selling in a number of body styles between 1955 and 1997, such as a four door post car, a five passenger convertible, and again as a two seat retro convertible from 2002 to 2005. Through all its iterations some 4.4 million Ford Thunderbirds were produced.

source: https://automotivehistory.org/septem...of-the-t-bird/

Name:	1955_T-Bird,_aqua.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	418.1 KB
ID:	1681820
                          By Pat Durkin - originally posted to Flickr as 1955 T-Bird, aqua - fvr, CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...curid=10724972
                          -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

• Today being September 11th, I'm going to skip automobile history for a slightly different remembrance.

Hard to believe it's been 20 years.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/tom-h...tlift_b_956529

I have posted this in the past, and it remains my favorite story of the 9/11 response. The 12 minute documentary, BOATLIFT, narrated by Tom Hanks.

"BOATLIFT is the story of the largest maritime evacuation in history.

On 9/11, over 500,000 people were rescued from Manhattan’s seawalls in just nine hours."

That's what I prefer to remember today. Or the response of the people of Gander, Newfoundland. https://youtu.be/TY7SUJAt5e0
                            -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

• September 12, 1912 – The introduction to the first transcontinental highway

On this day in 1912, Carl Fisher and James Allison announced their vision to open a transcontinental rock (gravel) highway. They planned to acquire the necessary funding of $10 million from private sources but failed to gain support from Henry Ford, which left the short. An acquaintance stated that they could name the highway after President Abraham Lincoln and receive a government grant. They did such, and received $1.7 million from the government for construction of the road.

The fully paved highway was designated just more than a year later on October 31, 1913. The original highway spanned from Time Square in New York City to San Francisco. It stretched through 13 states, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, and California and was 3,389 miles long. The highway was gradually replaced by the Numbered Highway System used in the United States, which was implemented in 1926.

Name:	LH-Map-75.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1681876Click image for larger version

Name:	1280px-LincolnHighwayMarker.svg.png
Views:	26
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1681877
                              -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

• September 13th 2006
                                "A pink 1961 Cadillac once owned by Elvis Presley was sold at auction for £21,000 in Derbyshire. The 20ft long 8-litre Coupe de Ville was bought new by the rock-and-roll legend but was later purchased by a Yorkshire collector. The Cadillac, which was white with a pink roof and pink and white upholstery, had travelled 76,099 miles."

With a thank you to 365 Days of Motoring for this specific tidbit of "Presleyanna"

If there is anyone who has not visited Graceland I urge you to go as soon as possible it's a very stunning experience. I'm not particularly an Elvis fan but you can't deny his place in history, he was an amazing talent and a truly unique person. The house itself and grounds, the various costumes, guitars and cars in the auto museum are all worth the trip alone. So is the wonderful Memphis barbeque at any of several places (my favorite was Corky's)

I also urge you to get and watch a copy of the film "Mystery Train" by Jim Jarmusch, a personal favorite and his unique tribute to Elvis and Memphis.

Comment

• On This Day

Saturday 13th September 2014

7 years ago

The inaugural Formula E championship, a class of auto racing, sanctioned by the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA), and the highest class of competition for single-seater electrically powered racing cars, was staged in Beijing. The race was won by Lucas Di Grassi, after Nick Heidfeld and Nicolas Prost crashed out on the final corner. In the course of the season, there were 7 different race winners: Sébastien Buemi (three times), Sam Bird (twice), Nelson Piquet Jr. (twice), António Félix da Costa, Nicolas Prost, Jérôme d'Ambrosio and Lucas Di Grassi. The championship was decided with the last race in London, where Nelson Piquet Jr. became the first Formula E champion, only a single point ahead of Sébastien Buemi.

Name:	1920px-Spark-Renault_SRT_01_E@Frankfurt_2013_Lucas_di_Grassi.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	307.6 KB
ID:	1681904Spark-Renault SRT_01E
                                  -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

• September 14, 1969 – Dodge Charger Daytona makes NASCAR debut, wins at Talladega

On this day in 1969 the inaugural Talladega 500 went under the green flag, despite many of NASCAR’s biggest names skipping the race. Richard Petty, David Pearson, Cale Yarborough, Wendell Scott, Buddy Baker and other members of the Professional Driver Association boycotted the event, due to concerns about tire safety. During Grand National practice at the new track, which held its first auto race just the day before, multiple drivers experienced blowouts. Many believed the cause of the trouble was the track being too fast, resulting in increased tire wear. To ensure the show went on, NASCAR founder Bill France enticed enough drivers from the previous day’s Grand Touring event to race the 500 too. Amid the controversy, a brand new car hit the track for the first time, the 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona.

Dodge designed the car to do one thing, win NASCAR races. On the heels of failure with the limited edition Dodge Charger 500, and losing Richard Petty to Ford, the car needed to be an instant hit. It didn’t fail to wow. Premiering at the Talladega 500, Richard Brickhouse drove his Daytona to victory. While more controversy followed the race, with the second place winner claiming they had lapped Brickhouse, the Daytona ultimately retained the victory and a legend had been born.

1969 Dodge Daytona Specs

The Daytona, a modified Charger, features a 23 inch tall stabilizer wing, a sheet metal nose cone, window caps and other body modifications to make it more aerodynamic. Per specifications of NASCAR, 500 units had to be built for the car to compete in NASCAR in 1969. A total of 503 Daytonas ended up on dealership lots, giving the car the green light to race for the checkers. Of those 503, only 70 had a 426 Hemi V8 stuffed under the hood.

The 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona fared well on the track, winning twice in 1969. The car excited Richard Petty enough to draw him back under the Chrysler umbrella to race a Plymouth Superbird, the younger sibling of the Daytona. In 1970, Daytonas won four more races, while Superbirds earned eight wins that year. Also during that season, Buddy Baker broke the 200 mph mark at Talladega in a Daytona, becoming the first driver to do so in the series. By the end of 1970, NASCAR instituted a ban on aero cars with engines bigger than 300 cubic inches, closing the book on the Winged Warriors.

Name:	GettyImages-79445270_200528_200907-1024x647.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	1681920
                                    -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

• On This Day
                                      Tuesday 15th September 1908

113 years ago

The Republic Rubber Company of Youngtown, Ohio, US was issued with a United States for its tire tread pattern marketed as 'Staggard'.

Name:	Screenshot_20210915-092202_Drive.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	1681930

Name:	Screenshot_20210915-092258_Drive.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	1681931

Name:	s-l400.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	1681932

-Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

• Wednesday 16th September 1908
                                        113 years ago

William C. Durant founded General Motors, consolidating several motor manufacturers, including Buick, Oldsmobile and Cadillac. The company continued to grow, going on to buy out Chevrolet, Delco Electronics, the Fisher Body Company and Frigidaire. In 1929 General Motors surpassed Ford to become the leading American passenger-car manufacturer, and by 1941 the company was the largest automotive manufacturer in the world.

Name:	2976F8F8-F7DA-4D0A-A260-2FD3BE20FCFF.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	1681950
                                        S2K Days Attendee: Belterra, IN - 07 | Lake George, NY - 08 | San Francisco, CA - 09 | Asheville, NC - 10 | Keystone, SD - 11 | Golden, CO - 12 | Atlanta, GA - 13 | Hood River, OR - 14 | Cumberland Falls, KY - 15 | Durango, CO - 16 | Fredericksburg, TX - 17 | SoCal, CA - 18 | Gettysburg, PA - 19

Where have you driven your S2000?

Comment

• Thursday 17th September 1903
                                          118 years ago

The first coast-to-coast tour was completed! At a time when driving across country was akin to climbing Mt. Everest, Lester L. Whitman and Eugene I. Hammond completed their coast-to-coast expedition on this day to national acclaim. Whitman and Hammond's journey, the third trans-U.S. automobile trip in history, contained a small detour, however. The two drivers decided to include a side trip from Windsor to Niagara Falls in Ontario, Canada, in order to dub their trek "international."

Name:	DAB0CD0C-DF89-4121-A397-7D683817766D.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	1681971
                                          S2K Days Attendee: Belterra, IN - 07 | Lake George, NY - 08 | San Francisco, CA - 09 | Asheville, NC - 10 | Keystone, SD - 11 | Golden, CO - 12 | Atlanta, GA - 13 | Hood River, OR - 14 | Cumberland Falls, KY - 15 | Durango, CO - 16 | Fredericksburg, TX - 17 | SoCal, CA - 18 | Gettysburg, PA - 19

Where have you driven your S2000?

Comment

Working...
                                          X