Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuesday 24th January 2006
    15 years ago

James Bond’s legendary Aston Martin DB5 was auctioned for more than £1 million. The classic Bond car, which featured in Thunderball and Goldfinger, sold for £1,171,796 in Phoenix, Arizona. The car had last been sold in 1970 for £5,000.

Click image for larger version

Name:	80D7CF76-CA6B-414A-8FC8-83EC7BA85105.png
Views:	85
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	1677238
    S2K Days Attendee: Belterra, IN - 07 | Lake George, NY - 08 | San Francisco, CA - 09 | Asheville, NC - 10 | Keystone, SD - 11 | Golden, CO - 12 | Atlanta, GA - 13 | Hood River, OR - 14 | Cumberland Falls, KY - 15 | Durango, CO - 16 | Fredericksburg, TX - 17 | SoCal, CA - 18 | Gettysburg, PA - 19

Where have you driven your S2000?

Comment

• Sunday 25th January 1976
      45 years ago

Niki Lauda won the Brazilian Grand Prix. Lauda's Ferrari took the checkered flag 21 seconds ahead of Patrick Depailler's Tyrell, with Tom Pryce finishing third in a Shadow. James Hunt won the pole with a 2 minute, 32 second lap on the twisting, 4.9 mile Interlagos circuit. Jean-Pierre Jarier turned the fastest race lap, but later crashed his Shadow.

Name:	5a698d2bad354.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	1677250

(Picture Above) Niki Lauda leading James Hunt to win the 1976 Brazilian Grand Prix.

-Roseanne

S2KDays: 2019 Gettysburg || 2018 SoCal || 2017 Fredericksburg || 2016 Durango || 2014 Hood River

Miscellaneous Musings:
      The most important lessons you need to know about life can be learned from a Weeble.

Here is that rainbow I've been praying for.
      It's gonna be a bright (bright)
      Bright (bright) sunshiny day.
      - Johnny Nash

Comment

• Wednesday 27th January 1965
        56 years ago

The new Shelby Ford Mustang GT350R was introduced to the press at Riverside International Raceway in Riverside, California, US. All 1965 G.T. 350s were painted Wimbledon White with Guardsman Blue rocker stripes.

Name:	BB4E765A-A363-4A08-AC1F-96786A897328.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	1677278
        S2K Days Attendee: Belterra, IN - 07 | Lake George, NY - 08 | San Francisco, CA - 09 | Asheville, NC - 10 | Keystone, SD - 11 | Golden, CO - 12 | Atlanta, GA - 13 | Hood River, OR - 14 | Cumberland Falls, KY - 15 | Durango, CO - 16 | Fredericksburg, TX - 17 | SoCal, CA - 18 | Gettysburg, PA - 19

Comment

• ^
          Happiness is a nice road, great weather, and driving the S with Sue in the seat next to me.

"Whatever you do, where ever you go, enjoy the drive."

I know for a FACT that the last year of production of the S2000 is 2003!!!!!
          After that, it will be the S2200 under an assumed name.

Comment

• Hi Go, what does that sign on your bouncing figure say. It's too jiggly for my old eyes.

Comment

• Sunday 28th January 2007
              14 years ago

At 11.11 a.m. British-born Champ Car driver Katherine Legge, driving a Robinson Racing Pontiac-powered Riley DP, made history by completing the one-millionth lap of the 24 Hours of Daytona race since its inception.

Name:	0FB554BD-E72B-46D8-B0E3-4ECD57EB9783.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	1677301

Comment

• Originally posted by AZS2KDancer View Post
                Hi Go, what does that sign on your bouncing figure say. It's too jiggly for my old eyes.
                "I'd hit it"
                Happiness is a nice road, great weather, and driving the S with Sue in the seat next to me.

Comment

17 years ago

Mini USA announced the debut of the Mini Cooper S MC40, costing $27,000. This limited-production commemorative edition celebrated the 40th anniversary of Mini's win at the Monte Carlo Rally in 1964 - a victory that forever changed the reputation of Mini to that of a true motorsport legend.

Name:	007A799E-D512-4C6F-B7CB-F06636F17ED7.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	1677403

Comment

• Back in the day, when I was in college in England, I scrimped and saved and bought a Mini (in decent condition). You should have seen my smiling face as I tossed it around the narrow winding countryside lanes.
                    And soon after, it kept breaking down, to the point that it was more "off the road" than "on". After six months of this, the "shine was truly off"!! I sold it to a friend (at a considerable loss), who was a much better
                    mechanic than I. He also, had it "off the road" more than "on", and I lost track of it after he got rid of it.
                    Their reputation (in England) is still the same - lovely car, but don't own one. Of course its now a more expensive problem, being a BMW!!
                    I still think its a beautiful looking car, but I'd never, ever again, own one!
                    Jpn,Honda,Passenger,AP2,2dr convertible/6sp-manual,BaseModel,2007,Suzuka Plant,USA#699 - Laguna Blue Pearl

S2KDays Attended: Keystone SD 2011 | Golden CO 2012 | Hood River OR 2014 | Cumberland Falls KY 2015 | Durango CO 2016

Comment

• Monday 16th February 1852

169 years ago

H & C Studebaker, a blacksmith and wagon building business, was founded by Henry and Clement Studebaker in South Bend, Indiana. They converted to car manufacturing, becoming one of the larger US independent car manufacturers. During World War II, Studebaker manufactured airplanes for the war effort and emphasised its patriotic role by releasing cars called "The President," "The Champion," and "The Commander." Post World War II competition drove Studebaker to its limits, and the company merged with the Packard Corporation in 1954. Financial hardship continued however as they continued to lose money over the next several years. Studebaker rebounded in 1959 with the introduction of the compact Lark but it was short lived. The 1996 Cruiser marked the end of the Studebaker after 114 years.

Name:	58a59c8a60387.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	1677528

I am suitably bummed I missed Feb 15. I think being able to post about "the hottest thing to ever come out of Wisconsin" would have been very cool. So... here it is:

February 15, 1968 – The AMC AMX debuts
                      This Day

American Motors Corporation officially debuted the AMX at Daytona International Speedway on this day in 1968. Journalists watched in awe as the new two seat muscle car ripped around the track at more than 130 mph. Though the car appeared as a stripped down Javelin, one of the writers, Tom McCahill, later called the AMC AMX “the hottest thing to ever come out of Wisconsin.”

With the only other American two seater being the Corvette that year, the AMX offered buyers a unique alternative in a crowded high horsepower market. At a grand less than the Vette, it appealed to both sports car and muscle car enthusiasts. In 1969, the top of the line 340 hp, 390 ci V8 could power the car down straightaways with ease, yet the vehicle’s nimble configuration made it a star on road courses as well.

Despite recognizable value and a fair reception among journalists and buyers, sales failed to take off. AMC did achieve in attracting younger consumers to its showrooms, which had long been a fault in AMC’s lineup. AMC discontinued the AMX after three model years. Its four-seat sibling, the Javelin, remained in showrooms through 1974.

Name:	amx-1968_AMC_AMX_390_GO_PAC_white_s-1536x690.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	1677529
                      -Roseanne

S2KDays: 2019 Gettysburg || 2018 SoCal || 2017 Fredericksburg || 2016 Durango || 2014 Hood River

Miscellaneous Musings:
                      The most important lessons you need to know about life can be learned from a Weeble.

- Johnny Nash

Comment

• Anyone else ever owned a Studebaker? I remember mine!
                        My fifth car was a pale green Studebaker Lark. I had it when I was going to college in downtown Brooklyn, just after getting out of the service. I mention the downtown Brooklyn part because of the parking issues back then in Brooklyn. Finding a parking space was a nightmare. Not so bad with the Lark though, it had heavy chrome bumpers and the body panels felt like they were made out of 12ga. steel. Back up "bash... pull forward "bash"...PARKED!

I know.... it shocks people now in the age of litigation and law suites, but New York City in the seventies was a real mass "free for all" on the streets. Disputes were quickly settled without lawyers and you damn well didn't bother the cops who had their own problems.
                        2000 AP1 mods: Kraftwerks high boost supercharger kit, Proflow Design throttle body, AP2 transmission, Stage 2 Competition Clutch, KW Variant 3 coilovers, RM strut tower brace, MG Racing X brace, AP2 V1 wheels, AP2 rear wing, Moddiction heat shield, Hella horns, Custom fab cold air box, Ceramic coated exhaust manifold, Fujitsubo Legalis R dual exhaust, custom front splitter, and custom vented OEM hood.

Comment

• February 17, 1972 – VW Beetle outsells Ford Model T

Introduced in 1908, the Ford Model T would become the best selling car of all time by the time production ended in 1927. It’d be another 45 years before another car matched its production numbers. On this day in 1972 Volkswagen beat that record when the 15,007,034th Type 1 Beetle left the factory. Developed in Nazi Germany by Dr. Ferdinand Porsche in the 1930s, the Beetle would go into full scale production following WWII.

Dismal US sales led to a massive marketing campaign launched in 1959 by advertising agency Doyle Dane Bernbach. The series of ads took playful jabs at VW while to promoting the advantages owning a small car. The Bug, as it is informally known, underwent very little redesign throughout its production life. After more than 60 years and more than 21 million Beetles built, the final Type 1 rolled off the assembly line in Peubla, Mexico in 2003.

Name:	modelT-ad-708x1024.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	1677546
                          -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

- Johnny Nash

Comment

• Originally posted by Stuka View Post
                            Anyone else ever owned a Studebaker?...

but New York City in the seventies was a real mass "free for all" on the streets.
                            No Studebakers in my life. My first car was almost as old as me, but that means it was built about the time frame of the "free for all" which you described.

John, is this what you looked like in your Studebaker?

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1677548
                            -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

- Johnny Nash

Comment

• Nope, that's a "bullet nose" Stude (famous for looking the same coming and going), manufactured about a decade earlier than my Lark. The Lark was a '59 shoebox style solid brick of steel with heavy chrome bumpers front and rear. (Absolutely perfect for NY traffic). The one I had didn't have the lovely patina of this car, mine (her name was Gertrude), was a nice bland puce green.
                              (It appears to be Ernie driving, or Bert, hard to tell at this distance.)
                              2000 AP1 mods: Kraftwerks high boost supercharger kit, Proflow Design throttle body, AP2 transmission, Stage 2 Competition Clutch, KW Variant 3 coilovers, RM strut tower brace, MG Racing X brace, AP2 V1 wheels, AP2 rear wing, Moddiction heat shield, Hella horns, Custom fab cold air box, Ceramic coated exhaust manifold, Fujitsubo Legalis R dual exhaust, custom front splitter, and custom vented OEM hood.

Comment

• Sunday 18th February 2001

20 years ago

Seven-time Winston Cup champion Dale Earnhardt (49), died in a last-lap crash at the Daytona 500. His car, the famous black No. 3 Chevrolet, was hit from behind and spun out into the path of Ken Schrader's car, before crashing head-on into the outside wall at 180 mph. Earnhardt was the 27th driver to die at Daytona since the track opened in 1959. Earnhardt, whose tough, aggressive driving style earned him the nickname ‘The Intimidator’, was involved in another crash at the Daytona 500 in 1997, when his car flipped upside down on the backstretch. He managed to escape serious injury. In 1998, he went on to win the Daytona 500, his first and only victory in that race after 20 years of trying. Earnhardt, a high-school dropout from humble beginnings in Kannapolis, North Carolina, said all he ever wanted to do in life was race cars. Indeed, he went on to become one of the sport’s most successful and respected drivers, with 76 career victories, including seven Winston Cup Series championships.

19 February 1954
                                67 years ago

The prototype Ford Thunderbird was finished; it debuted at the Detroit Auto Show the next day. The T-Bird was a scaled-down Ford built for two. It came with a removable fiberglass hard top and a convertible canvas roof for sunny days.

Name:	589242ff16fd9.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	1677592
                                -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

- Johnny Nash

Comment

• That is definitely not Ernie with the T Bird (or Bert)!

I was a big fan of Earnhardt back then...that was truly a dark day for all his fans.
                                  Last edited by Stuka; 02-19-2021, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stuka View Post
                                    That is definitely not Ernie with the T Bird (or Bert)!
                                    The Muppet Movie. In fact, Fozzie and Kermit totally understood what a roadtrip is about.

Here's a link to a clip of the referenced part. You can skip straight to Fozzie's memorable comment at the 1:42 mark, but it's a great song and well worth watching it all start to finish.

This is not an advertisement for Jim Henson, Kermit the Frog, Fozzie Bear, Big Bird, or Studebakers.
                                    -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

- Johnny Nash

Comment

• Originally posted by R.Murphy View Post
                                      Sunday 18th February 2001

20 years ago

Seven-time Winston Cup champion Dale Earnhardt (49), died in a last-lap crash at the Daytona 500. His car, the famous black No. 3 Chevrolet, was hit from behind and spun out into the path of Ken Schrader's car, before crashing head-on into the outside wall at 180 mph. Earnhardt was the 27th driver to die at Daytona since the track opened in 1959. Earnhardt, whose tough, aggressive driving style earned him the nickname ‘The Intimidator’, was involved in another crash at the Daytona 500 in 1997, when his car flipped upside down on the backstretch. He managed to escape serious injury. In 1998, he went on to win the Daytona 500, his first and only victory in that race after 20 years of trying. Earnhardt, a high-school dropout from humble beginnings in Kannapolis, North Carolina, said all he ever wanted to do in life was race cars. Indeed, he went on to become one of the sport’s most successful and respected drivers, with 76 career victories, including seven Winston Cup Series championships.
                                      For me, this was one of those "I know where I was...." moments. Lennon being shot, The Challenger explosion, 9/11, and Earnhardt's death.

Comment

• I know exactly what you mean, sad sad days!
                                        You can add May first 1994, Ayrton Senna at Tamburello corner in San Marino, to that awful list.
                                        May day will never be the same again for me!

Comment

• Sunday 22nd February 1959
                                          62 years ago

Daytona International Speedway, the "World Center of Racing," hosted the first Daytona 500. A field of 59 cars took the green flag for the start of the 500 mile race in front of a crowd of over 41,000. There were no caution periods in the race; making it one of the few "perfect games" in NASCAR history, though it would occur in three of the first four Daytona 500s, as the Daytona 500 also went caution-free in both 1961 and 1962.

Name:	8C0EF655-71ED-4DAA-84D9-DB2EB1B98D37.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	1677659

Comment

Working...
                                          X