Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Movies, Documentaries, Books about cars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movies, Documentaries, Books about cars.

What movies, documentaries, and books about cars or racing do you like? What ones did you hate? And why? Share your favorites and your reviews here. Since we have to try to stay safe and avoid in-person social contact during this pandemic, we could all really use some good entertainment to keep ourselves occupied.

I'll keep a list here in this first post.

Documentaries:
    A life of Speed: The Juan Manuel Fangio Story, 2020, Netflix
    Formula 1: Drive to Survive, Netflix (multiple episodes)
    Senna, 2010 (106 minutes)
    The Racers that Stopped the World (Stirling Moss Documentary), 2020, youtube

Movies:
    Ford v Ferrari, 2019
    Rush, 2013 (director: Ron Howard)
    The Driver, 1978 (actor: Ryan O'Neal)
    Grand Prix, 1966 (actor: James Garner)
    The Transporter, 2002 (actor: Jason Statham; Producer: Luc Besson)
    Fast & Furious franchise (in recommended viewing order)
    1) "The Fast and the Furious" (2001)
    1.5) "Turbo Charged Prelude to 2 Fast 2 Furious" a 6 minute short, 2003, (find it on youtube)
    https://youtu.be/fPsOMnYhkmg
    2) "2 Fast 2 Furious" (2003)
    3) "Fast & Furious" (2009)
    4) "Fast Five" (2011)
    5) "Fast & Furious 6" (2013)
    6) "The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift" (2006)
    7) "Furious 7" (2015)
    8) "The Fate of the Furious" (2017)
    9) "Hobbs and Shaw" (2019)
    10) "F9" (May 2021)
    Driven, 2001 (actor: Sylvester Stallone)
    Used Cars, 1980 (actor: Kurt Russell) comedy
    Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, 2006 (actor: Will Ferrell) comedy

Shows/Series:
    Paul Hollywood's Big Continental Road Trip, 2017, Netflix (docu-series wannabe)
    Wheeler Dealers, British TV Show, 16 seasons, available on Motor Trend TV in the US (docu-series)
    Grand Prix Driver, 2018, multiple episodes, Amazon (docu-series)
    Auto Masters (AKA Car SOS), National Geographic TV and streaming

Books:
    Thinking Small: The Long, Strange Trip of the Volkswagen Beetle, by Andrea Hiott
    The Book of the Honda S2000, by Brian Long
    The Last Open Road series, by B. S. Levy.
    1) The Last Open Road, 2) Montezuma's Ferrari, 3) The Fabulous Trashwagon, 4) Toly's Ghost, and 4) The 200 MPH Steamroller: Book One Red Reign, 5) The 200 MPH Steamroller: Book II The Italian Job
    The Red Car, by Don Stanford. (fiction)
    Honda S2000, book by Daniel F. Carney
    CONVERTIBLES - America's Dazzling Drop Tops, by the Auto Editors of Consumer Guide, ISBN 0-7853-0516-5
    The Art of Racing in the Rain, by Garth Stein, 2008. (fiction)

Last edited by R.Murphy; 02-16-2021, 06:51 PM. Reason: Some long overdue updates.
    -Roseanne

S2KDays: 2019 Gettysburg || 2018 SoCal || 2017 Fredericksburg || 2016 Durango || 2014 Hood River

Miscellaneous Musings:
    The most important lessons you need to know about life can be learned from a Weeble.

Here is that rainbow I've been praying for.
    It's gonna be a bright (bright)
    Bright (bright) sunshiny day.
    - Johnny Nash

Last night I watched A life of Speed: The Juan Manuel Fangio Story (2020, Netflix). I enjoyed it. As a documentary, I liked how it was not just a chronology of old footage. It flashed forward and back to include comparisons to today's technology and drivers as well as interviews from current racing superstars and then back to the black and white footage/pics and 1970s, 1980s, etc footage of interviews with El Maestro.

It was well done.
    -Roseanne

S2KDays: 2019 Gettysburg || 2018 SoCal || 2017 Fredericksburg || 2016 Durango || 2014 Hood River

Miscellaneous Musings:
    The most important lessons you need to know about life can be learned from a Weeble.

- Johnny Nash

Comment

Sometimes you just want something that is completely devoid of thinking and is just pleasant. In early November, I started watching The Great British Baking Show. That was cool. But has nothing to do with cars at all.

Then I saw on my Netflix suggested shows something that surprised me: Paul Hollywood's Big Continental Road Trip. Now, Paul Hollywood (yes, that is his real name) was one of the judges on The Great British Baking Show, so it was a bit of a surprise to me to find out that he's also a bit of a car enthusiast. So last night I watched the first episode which was a tour of Italy. Very enjoyable. It's hardly a particularly high-brow bit of cinema, but it's fun and has some cool cars in it. Ferraris, Fiats, Paganis, Lamborghinis, Alfa Romeos, and a few very unexpected vehicles too. And he talks about the impact of these vehicles on the country as well as the history of the country's impact on the creation of their cars.

I give it a thumbs up so far. It's a series. I've only seen the first episode which, as I mentioned, was in Italy. The next episode is in Germany.

Click image for larger version

Name:	a-review-of-paul-hollywoods-big-continental-road-trip-2018-08-24_10-28-19_575178-960x532.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1677018
      -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

- Johnny Nash

Comment

I enjoyed Rush, the movie by Ron Howard about the rivalry between Niki Lauda and James Hunt.
        S2K Days Attendee: Belterra, IN - 07 | Lake George, NY - 08 | San Francisco, CA - 09 | Asheville, NC - 10 | Keystone, SD - 11 | Golden, CO - 12 | Atlanta, GA - 13 | Hood River, OR - 14 | Cumberland Falls, KY - 15 | Durango, CO - 16 | Fredericksburg, TX - 17 | SoCal, CA - 18 | Gettysburg, PA - 19

Where have you driven your S2000?

Comment

I recently ordered, The Book of theHonda S2000. I expect the book to arrive by the end of January.

Here is a link: https://www.veloce.co.uk/store/The-B...000-p178818239
          S2K Days Attendee: Belterra, IN - 07 | Lake George, NY - 08 | San Francisco, CA - 09 | Asheville, NC - 10 | Keystone, SD - 11 | Golden, CO - 12 | Atlanta, GA - 13 | Hood River, OR - 14 | Cumberland Falls, KY - 15 | Durango, CO - 16 | Fredericksburg, TX - 17 | SoCal, CA - 18 | Gettysburg, PA - 19

Where have you driven your S2000?

Comment

Some of my favorites-
            Ford vs. Ferrari- was enjoyable, lots of great racing footage. 2019
            Grand Prix- with Jim Garner, a classic.1966
            The Transporter- with Jason Statham by Luc Besson, 2002.
            Rush- Niki Lauder vs James Hunt...nuf said 2013
            The Driver- with Ryan O'Neal 1978
            Last edited by Stuka; 01-14-2021, 02:56 AM.
            2000 AP1 mods: Kraftwerks high boost supercharger kit, Proflow Design throttle body, AP2 transmission, Stage 2 Competition Clutch, KW Variant 3 coilovers, RM strut tower brace, MG Racing X brace, AP2 V1 wheels, AP2 rear wing, Moddiction heat shield, Hella horns, Custom fab cold air box, Ceramic coated exhaust manifold, Fujitsubo Legalis R dual exhaust, custom front splitter, and custom vented OEM hood.

Comment

I enjoyed Ford v Ferrari very much. I will look forward to watch some of the other films mentioned. I, too, have ordered The Book of the Honda S2000, which has been shipped, yet not received. I’m currently reading Thinking Small the story of the Volkswagen Beetle.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuka View Post
                The Transporter- with Jason Statham...
                A bit of trivia regarding Jason Statham. Statham was part of Britain's national diving team and competed in the 1990 Commonwealth Games.
                -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

- Johnny Nash

Comment

To add to the list of good books, The Last Open Road series by B.S. Levy. If you are at all a fan of sports car racing in the 1950s and 1960s, you will love this series of books. It's a fantastic journey following the adventures of Buddy Palumbo, a fictitious mechanic from NJ who you feel like you know, through the addictive world of motor racing. You don't even need to be a gear head to enjoy these books, but it does help. It's basically a bit of historical fiction and some of the characters are pretty obviously based on some real life people. And the completely fictional ones... well, you feel like you've met them in real life because they exist in every organization that has ever been created. You'll see what I mean if you decide to read them.

The Last Open Road, Montezuma's Ferrari, The Fabulous Trashwagon, Toly's Ghost, and The 200 MPH Steamroller (Books 1 and 2).
                  -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

- Johnny Nash

Comment

Burt Levy...haven't heard that name in a long time! I read The Last Open Road and Montezuma's Ferrari way back a couple of decades ago, nice light reading if I remember correctly. Might be time for a reread.
                    2000 AP1 mods: Kraftwerks high boost supercharger kit, Proflow Design throttle body, AP2 transmission, Stage 2 Competition Clutch, KW Variant 3 coilovers, RM strut tower brace, MG Racing X brace, AP2 V1 wheels, AP2 rear wing, Moddiction heat shield, Hella horns, Custom fab cold air box, Ceramic coated exhaust manifold, Fujitsubo Legalis R dual exhaust, custom front splitter, and custom vented OEM hood.

Comment

TV/Doc Series:
                      Formula 1: Drive to Survive (Netflix)
                      Wheeler Dealers
                      Grand Prix Driver (Amazon)

Comment

Hey Slap, If you like Wheeler Dealers you'll love Auto Masters (AKA Car SOS) on the National Geographic Channel (NGCHD, 276 on DIRECTV) or streaming online at
                        Auto Masters Full Episodes | Watch Online - National ...

www.nationalgeographic.com

Comment

The movie Senna.

Comment

Originally posted by AZS2KDancer View Post
                            The movie Senna.
                            Absolutely, I can't believe I didn't list it. I was/am a devoted fan.
                            I still tip a glass and toast him every March 21st, and take my hat off and thank him for all that he gave and lost every May 1st.
                            We all owe him a debt for what he did for Honda racing and their automotive product development.
                            Long live his memory.

Comment

The Red Car by Don Stanford. I read it in 4th grade, I think, and that book sealed my love for sports cars.

Comment

Honda S2000 book by Daniel F. Carney

Comment

S2000 by American Honda Motor Company, Limited Editions. (Book)

Comment

CONVERTIBLES
                                    America's Dazzling Drop Tops
                                    By the Auto Editors of Consumer Guide

ISBN 0-7853-0516-5

Comment

Would anyone object to the Fast snd Furious movie franchise?

Comment

^I wouldn't. They are fun.
                                        Happiness is a nice road, great weather, and driving the S with Sue in the seat next to me.

"Whatever you do, where ever you go, enjoy the drive."

I know for a FACT that the last year of production of the S2000 is 2003!!!!!
                                        After that, it will be the S2200 under an assumed name.

Comment

Working...
                                        X