Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Movies, Documentaries, Books about cars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.Murphy
    replied
    Originally posted by 4U2NV View Post
    I have recently been watching a series about motorcycle adventures by Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman. There are three different series of 10 episodes each that chronicle the trips. The series is available on AppleTV+.
    • Series 1 - The Long Way Round: In 2004, Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman embark on a quest to motorbike from London to New York. Going east through Europe, Asia and then to Alaska.
    • Series 2 - The Long Way Down: A motorcycle journey undertaken in 2007 by Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman, from John o' Groats in Scotland through eighteen countries in Europe and Africa to Cape Town in South Africa.
    • Series 3 - The Long Way Up: A motorcycle journey undertaken in 2019 by Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman, from Ushuaia in Argentina through South and Central America to Los Angeles in the United States.

Each series has a very distinct feel to it. Series 3, in many ways, felt hugely different from the first two. Perhaps the differences would have been less obvious if viewed in real time immediately after their releases.

To me, series 3 had a much more desperate feel to it. Almost like a "this is our last chance, let's do it," but a portion of it was kind of like, "let's just get it done."

I do very highly recommend the entire set, and I would watch it again. Their willingness to assume the best in others and to not only accept help, but to give it too, was refreshing and spiritually uplifting. I don't want to give away some key discoveries made in the show, but things they experienced in the first series did come back full circle in series 3, which was very touching.

A highlight for me: in the very first episode in series 3, The Long Way Up, Ewan and Charley are test riding a couple of motorcycles in the Santa Monica Mountains. Anyone who attended S2KDays 2018 SoCal might recognize a few of the roads, particularly Tuna Canyon. That was a nice surprise and fun to watch.

Leave a comment:

• Stuka
    replied
    Burma-Shave

Leave a comment:

• AZS2KDancer
    replied
    Ever hear the Tom Wait's song?
    It's on "Foreign Affairs" (His fourth album).

Can’t say that I have. What’s the name of the song, please?

Leave a comment:

• Stuka
    replied
    Ever hear the Tom Wait's song?
    It's on "Foreign Affairs" (His fourth album).

Leave a comment:

• AZS2KDancer
    replied
    Another book in my library is “the verse by the side of the road”. By Frank Rowsome, Jr. The story of the 600 Burma Shave signs and Jingles.
    If you
    Dont know
    whose signs
    these are
    you can’t have
    driven very far
    Burma Shave

Leave a comment:

• AZS2KDancer
    replied
    Kaiser-Frazer -The Last Onslaught on Detroit. Book that I just ordered.

Leave a comment:

• R.Murphy
    replied
    Added all updates through Feb 2, 2021. It's turning into a good-sized list, particularly for those unlucky folks stuck in winter.

Also, things I learned from the Long Way series is that Charley Boorman does not get given nearly enough credit for being able to handle a motorbike, and that sand is just as evil as I've always felt it was.

Leave a comment:

• Stuka
    replied
    Those are good. Have you seen the "Ride With Norman Reedus" series?
    I've been binging the Wheeler Dealer, Auto Masters and Restoration Garage shows. I've had a s**t load of different cars and it's always fun to watch the guys tear them down and build them back up. Especially so if it's a car I've owned and worked on myself or just plain lusted after.

Leave a comment:

• 4U2NV
    replied
    I have recently been watching a series about motorcycle adventures by Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman. There are three different series of 10 episodes each that chronicle the trips. The series is available on AppleTV+.
    • Series 1 - The Long Way Round: In 2004, Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman embark on a quest to motorbike from London to New York. Going east through Europe, Asia and then to Alaska.
    • Series 2 - The Long Way Down: A motorcycle journey undertaken in 2007 by Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman, from John o' Groats in Scotland through eighteen countries in Europe and Africa to Cape Town in South Africa.
    • Series 3 - The Long Way Up: A motorcycle journey undertaken in 2019 by Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman, from Ushuaia in Argentina through South and Central America to Los Angeles in the United States.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	7D241F35-AE0E-4EAA-B03F-933A20A4C843.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	321.5 KB ID:	1677367

Leave a comment:

• s2kbobby
    replied
    Here is a short film that tells the story of Norman Dewis and Sterling Moss bringing the world to a stop. It documents the efforts of Jaguar team that introduces disc brakes to automotive use.
    It's a well spent 32 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• speedracer
    replied
    Originally posted by Stuka View Post

A sign of true love, you're a lucky man John!

Secret...Women love a project!
    (You know, like you feel about your S600. The more work that needs to be done, the better... and the more you feel accomplishment about and ownership of the finished product!)

Leave a comment:

• Stuka
    replied
    Originally posted by speedracer View Post

Yes that is the one. There are many sub plots in the movie that I enjoy. One of the sub plots is a person that is superstitious about red cars and during the climax of the movie he overcomes his fear in of red cars.

Yes there is a healthy quantity of gratuitous nudity , explosions and a sea of inexpensive used cars. Even after seeing this movie with me and knowing I enjoyed it Ms speed racer ended up marrying me.
    A sign of true love, you're a lucky man John!

Secret...Women love a project!
    (You know, like you feel about your S600. The more work that needs to be done, the better... and the more you feel accomplishment about and ownership of the finished product!)

Leave a comment:

• speedracer
    replied
    Another life changing movie for our family has been Talladega nights. The ballad of Ricky Bobby. A classic movie about overcoming fear and adversity with the support of your fiends at the track.

Leave a comment:

• speedracer
    replied
    Originally posted by Stuka View Post

Exploding cars and strippers, what's not to like? Pure class!
    1980 though...are you dating yourself? (didn't mean that how it sounds)
    Yes that is the one. There are many sub plots in the movie that I enjoy. One of the sub plots is a person that is superstitious about red cars and during the climax of the movie he overcomes his fear in of red cars.

Yes there is a healthy quantity of gratuitous nudity , explosions and a sea of inexpensive used cars. Even after seeing this movie with me and knowing I enjoyed it Ms speed racer ended up marrying me.

Leave a comment:

• Stuka
    replied
    Originally posted by speedracer View Post
    Used cars. Saw it on a date some time ago. Stars a buick centurion. Also stars Kurt Russell.
    Exploding cars and strippers, what's not to like? Pure class!
    1980 though...are you dating yourself? (didn't mean that how it sounds)

Leave a comment:

• speedracer
    replied

Used cars. Saw it on a date some time ago. Stars a buick centurion. Also stars Kurt Russell.
    Last edited by speedracer; 01-30-2021, 02:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Stuka
    replied
    Yikes!!!
    Is that "Convertibles: America's Dazzling Droptops"?
    If that's the one, mine is up for sale!!!
    Make me an offer guys

Leave a comment:

• AZS2KDancer
    replied
    I recently picked up a copy of the book Convertibles for a fair price. I went back to look on Amazon for it and it was going for over $601.00 USD!
    Last edited by AZS2KDancer; 02-19-2021, 07:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wtmohr
    replied
    Movies, - Ford vs. Ferrari, Rush, Driven (guilty pleasure with Sly Stallone.

Book - The Art of Racing in the Rain (the movie sucked) I have several copies of this book just for lending....

Leave a comment:

• gomarlins3
    replied
    ^I wouldn't. They are fun.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X