Dashcam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dashcam

A new entrant in the market that sounds interesting/promising...

http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/09/...ng-enthusiast/

Unlike a GoPro, which has been designed to work in all manner of extreme environments, the Horizon has been purpose-designed for one application and one only—recording good looking in-car video.
    "Blue Oh-Two" (#424)
    Rick's header, Hondata gasket, Mugen thermostat/fan switch, Mugen radiator cap, Aussie mirror, Lucid's rear speakers, Alpine CDA-7893R & KCE-865B, Muz's saddlebag, Windscreen Light, Modifry's glove box organizer and lots of Zaino!

Interesting.
    S2K Days Attendee: Belterra, IN - 07 | Lake George, NY - 08 | San Francisco, CA - 09 | Asheville, NC - 10 | Keystone, SD - 11 | Golden, CO - 12 | Atlanta, GA - 13 | Hood River, OR - 14 | Cumberland Falls, KY - 15| Durango, CO - 16
    | Fredericksburg, TX - 17

Where have you driven your S2000?

Comment

As long as you can delete the speed, GPS position, pitch & roll, gforce, etc. it sounds pretty good. In case of an accident you may not want all that extra information, again you may. I would have loved to have one when that guy hit my S.
      sigpic
      Pacific Northwest Chapter Guru, 9 years running!

Comment

This *is* very interesting. I've been a proponent and user of dashcams (as a witness cam, not action cam) for a few years now and I find it all very fascinating. I wouldn't be without one where I live.

I think it will be interesting to see end-user reviews as well as professional dashcam reviewers comments when this thing is available for sale.

Their web site is certainly plenty zoomy.
        -Roseanne

"Wait... r.murphy isn't a dude?"
        California Dreamin'

FOLLOW S2KCA-LA ON FACEBOOK:
        https://www.facebook.com/S2KCALA/

Comment

Interesting. Does anyone have personal experience with this cam?

Comment

Originally posted by The Mangonel View Post
            As long as you can delete the speed, GPS position, pitch & roll, gforce, etc. it sounds pretty good. In case of an accident you may not want all that extra information, again you may. I would have loved to have one when that guy hit my S.
            I'm sure the overlay is something that is added in post and not pumped out with the raw video. The app probably parses the data logs and adds that info to the video, though it sounds like it is capable of presenting it in real time through the app if you're putting something together on the fly.

Word of warning: Any information that is pulled through the OBD2 adapter is going to seem somewhat choppy if the software doesn't fill in the blanks; the max polling rate from an OBD2 port is 2hz (you can force it to poll at a faster rate in some cases, but I don't think it works with S2000s).

Edit: And I didn't check my dates, that is an article from last year...

Comment

I would be interested in a dash cam that recorded front and possibly rear also.
              I do not want/need speed, RPM, pitch/roll, or gforce et al,
              Is there any such animal in my retired man's reach?
              Thanks,

griff
              "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits."

Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by griffon View Post
                I would be interested in a dash cam that recorded front and possibly rear also.
                I do not want/need speed, RPM, pitch/roll, or gforce et al,
                Is there any such animal in my retired man's reach?
                Thanks,

griff
                Garmin has one and I'm sure if you Googled dash-cam, you'll find lots. Here's a list of 2017's "best" (in quotes because it's one site's selection)
                Read full reviews and buy the best dash cams from top companies such as Falcon, Z-Edge, Blackvue, Rexing, Garmin and ZeroEdge to protect yourself in case of a car accident.
                Upcoming events:

Dragon Fall Run 2017- The S2000 Fall Dragon Event! Sept 14-17 at Deal's Gap. Registration is Open! Register HERE!

Gettysburg Get Together meets Fall Colors 2017 - GGTG VIII Sept 29-Oct 1
                Register HERE!

All presented by: The Double Dragon Group, LLC
                2003 Suzuka Blue #302 "Grovette"
                2008 ABP CR #400 of 699 "Grover"

Comment

Yes. Define your budget. All the good (reliable) dual cams come with the features you don't want, but you can turn them off. What is most important is reliability.

http://www.thinkware.com/Products/Dashcam/F770
                  -Roseanne

California Dreamin'

Comment

Originally posted by R.Murphy View Post
                    Yes. Define your budget. All the good (reliable) dual cams come with the features you don't want, but you can turn them off. What is most important is reliability.

http://www.thinkware.com/Products/Dashcam/F770
                    Does anyone here use this model? It is a bit expensive but still interesting.

griff

Albert Einstein

Comment

For some reason my above reply did not cause this thread to float to the top.

Bump to top.

Albert Einstein

Comment

I personally like techmoan.com for his reviews of dashcams (and other things). He also has an excellent Dashcam 101 video which is wonderful for a quick tutorial on understanding the basics of dashcams. He also chooses his favorite devices based on various criteria (best budget cam, best dual, best... etc).

After that, there are a number of discussion forums and sites with reviews such as dashcamtalk.com which are most helpful in narrowing one's choices based on needs.
                        -Roseanne

California Dreamin'

Comment

Thanks for those links and info. I'll be checking them out later. If you leave a dash cam in your S and leave the car, what is the chance of someone slashing the soft top to steal it?

Comment

Roughly 63.468%, give or take 36% depending on where you leave it.

"It's rocket science but it's well understood rocket science." - Naveen Jain

sigpic
                            2005 S2000 Silverstone Metallic - Fujita F5, ACT HDSS clutch, Work Emotion XD-9, Cobalt XR3 brake pads, Russell SS brake lines,
                            Mugen reservoir socks, Modifry glove box organizer, factory headrest speakers, factory Ti shift knob, S2KCA logo throughout

Comment

Originally posted by AZS2KDancer View Post
                              Thanks for those links and info. I'll be checking them out later. If you leave a dash cam in your S and leave the car, what is the chance of someone slashing the soft top to steal it?
                              You're kidding, right?

If you install it well, it's hardly even noticeable.
                              -Roseanne

California Dreamin'

Comment

Working...
                              X