No announcement yet.

What, exactly,would you like to see...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What, exactly,would you like to see...

For Midwest Regional events in 2007? I need yor help and am open to anything. (for those of you who know me you know that is a pretty wide range )
    So, what will it be?
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits."

Albert Einstein

I'd like to see us have something racing-related given the racing venues in Wisconsin, Indiana and Ohio that host some really good open-wheel and ALMS road circuit series. Obviously, I'm partial to the F1 race in Indy, but we did that last year, and although we can do a BBQ again, and maybe try to expland the event, perhaps even try to find a home base hotel for everyone from out of town to stay together, I'd like to see something similar at another race event, perhaps at MidAmerica for the IRL race (they are all honda powered, and Danica will be there), or the ALMS series. Road America would be good too.

How about also doing a Midwest meet and drive event? We could try to find a relatively centrally located place and have a weekend, maybe in May? Maybe along the Mississippi? Maybe on the western shore of Michigan?

4U2NV had an idea to do a week-long event to SD akin to the Lake Superior Circle tour. I doubt I can do a week vacation in the car two years in a row, but it does sound like fun.

Comment

Agree with everything above. I'm a huge ALMS fan, so I'd really like to see us tie into at least one race next year, especially with Acura joining the series. F1 sounds like something we should do every year, and I definitely like the idea of having a common hotel for those from out of town

Planning ahead is key for me and I'm sure for others too, so the more we can figure out now the better. Summer seems to book up quickly with other "stuff". For me personally, a 2-3 day drive is probably within reason if we do a Lake Michigan tour or similar event. Getting away for a week is tough.

A go-karting event would be fun too for those that might not want to do a track day, but still like the racing experience. There must be some good venues that are central to most people.

Comment

Originally posted by karwath

It looks like there are many opportunities to catch Indy Racing League events in the Midwest in 2007.

Kansas Speedway 4/29 (oval)
        Indy 500 5/27 (oval)
        Milwaukee 6/03 (oval)
        Iowa Speedway 6/24 (oval)
        Mid-Ohio 7/22 (roadcourse)
        Michigan Int'l 8/05 (oval)
        Kentucky Speedway 8/11 (oval)
        Belle Isle (Detroit) 9/02 (street course)
        9/09 Chicagoland Speedway (oval)

Maybe we can try to do the entire Midwest Region series?

I think ticket pricies and availability/accomodations might make it more attractive to skip the Indy 500, however, it certainly is an experience everyone should do at least once, since it is unlike most other races given the history and tradition of the place.

I generally prefer roadcourse races over ovals, and I not too sure about the Belle Isle street course. As a result, I'd probably favor Mid Ohio (7/22). Also, the American Le Mans Series is running the same weekend so the IRL and ALMS would be something of a two0fer

However, I am not against an oval race or the street course event. If we want to do the F1 race in Indy again in June (6/17/07), that would give us a roadcourse, so perhaps an oval race at a different time of year?

Also, the ALMS event at Road America in Wisconsin is 8/11/07.

What do you think?

I just realized that we have two threads going on essentialy the same subject, so I am copying my last post in that thread here, and since I started that thread, I'll close it with a link to this thread.

Comment

How about a nude beach day, for the open minded among us?
          "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits."

Albert Einstein

Comment

Al Fresco in Fenton '07?

I'm not sure when that might be planned, but I am sure that I already have other, prior commitments and must give my regrets.
            Last edited by karwath; 10-22-2006, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Never been to Mid-Ohio, but have wanted to go. With two races there on the same weekend, that sounds like a great idea.

Comment

this looks like a nice place to go. Go by the place every year on my way to SD to pheasant hunt.

http://www.midamericamotorplex.com/2006/about.asp

jerome

Comment

copying from the other thread...

You guys don't mind coming east a bit, I am working with Marysville Honda for a mod/tech day in early April. We had 25+ cars show up this year to get them ready for spring/summer.

Mid Ohio will have ALMS (and the new Acura teams), IRL, and Rolex series again. They are generally pretty accomodating for club corrals.

Mid-ohio is notorious slow on getting things set for off-track activities. As we get closer to race time, I will look into the corral for IRL/ALMS/Rolex.
                  the Red Barchetta
                  2004 New Formula Red, Factory Tan Interior
                  Comptech goodies: Intake and Exhaust

Comment

How about a Midwest meet/drive weekend event?

Comment

YES....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      How about a Midwest meet/drive weekend event?
                      MY'03....Silverstone / Red Loaded with "Whistles, Bells & Toys"....

Life's journey is not to arrive @ the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to "skid" in sideways, totally worn out, shouting"...holy sh*t...what a ride!"

Comment

Any place special you have in mind Bart?
                        the Red Barchetta

Comment

Lots of ideas.

Any place near one of the great lakes, any place along the Ohio River, or the Mississippi River. Basically, any place that would be relatively scenic, provide reasonably interesting roads, and have decent hotel accomodations.

I know you guys in Ohio have the Route 26 event, and I was thinking something akin to that but perhaps closer to the middle part of the vast expanse that constitutes the MW Region so we could truy to get people from all parts of the MW included.

I was at one time thinking a weekend drive that went up the Lake Michigan coast of either WI or MI, crossed on the car ferry that runs between MI and WI and down the other side, might be a nice weekend driving/social event.

Comment

Bart, maybe you should refer back to one of your original ideas.

"Fenton Fest"

It would be centrally located for this region.

S2K Days Attendee: Belterra, IN - 07 | Lake George, NY - 08 | San Francisco, CA - 09 | Asheville, NC - 10 | Keystone, SD - 11 | Golden, CO - 12 | Atlanta, GA - 13 | Hood River, OR - 14 | Cumberland Falls, KY - 15 | Durango, CO - 16 | Fredericksburg, TX - 17 | SoCal, CA - 18 | Gettysburg, PA - 19

Where have you driven your S2000?

Comment

Yep, Fenton would be a "meet you in the middle" place, and it is near the Mississippi . . . I am not sure Griffon has enough room for us to all stay at his house, but we could make it camping weekend, like the West Coasters did recently.

Comment

I was at one time thinking a weekend drive that went up the Lake Michigan coast of either WI or MI, crossed on the car ferry that runs between MI and WI and down the other side, might be a nice weekend driving/social event.
                                Such a trip would give us an excuse to visit King Motorsports in New Berlin WI, and help them celebrate their 25th anniversary this year.

Comment

RT 26 is an option, but far from the best one. The road is just not in good condition. What about something through KY?
                                  the Red Barchetta

Comment

There is the Mountain Parkway!!! It starts just east of Lexington on I64 and it is about 1 hour 45 minute drive, and then you get to SR 23 which goes north and runs back into I64. That is just acrossed from Huntington WV.

Comment

Originally posted by smac2K
                                      There is the Mountain Parkway!!! It starts just east of Lexington on I64 and it is about 1 hour 45 minute drive, and then you get to SR 23 which goes north and runs back into I64. That is just acrossed from Huntington WV.
                                      Sounds like a fun drive!
                                      the Red Barchetta

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                        X