This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MidWest Region Driving School for 2007 Summer

NEW THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.s2kca.com/S2000/showthread.php?t=13957

I found a thread from Harry concerning the CGI Driving School. It is in South Haven, MI. I would like to organize(with Harry's help) a driving school day for the MidWestern S2KCA folks. It is an all day event. Driver meetings in the morning and the groups go out seperately. At the end of the day there will also be open track driving. Check out the website at the bottom. The cost is $175 and $64.50/night for the hotel which is a Comfort Suites.

What I am doing here is looking for feedback to see what kind of interest is involved. Please leave feedback whether you are remotely interested or not. Please PM me or Harry (hecash) with any questions.

Here is what I am thinking. Wake the Dragon is in April and S2KCA Days is in September. I think it would awesome to have a Regional Event during the summer. This particular school does these driving days on Mondays. The available days in June and July are the following:

June 2nd
    June 16th
    July 2nd
    July 16th

There are some other Mondays available, but I was thinking that we would want to do something right in the middle of the two big events of the year.

Here is the website.

http://www.cgimotorsports.com/

Here is the map as well...

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?email=1&mapdat
    Last edited by smac2K; 03-12-2007, 11:25 PM.

This sounds interesting! I have been thinking about attending a performance driving school. I was originally looking into the drivers program at Mid-Ohio.

Also, keep in mind some events in the region that will be occurring. Such as...

Black Hills Rally (May 27 - June 2)
    USGP (June 17)
    S2K Days Attendee: Belterra, IN - 07 | Lake George, NY - 08 | San Francisco, CA - 09 | Asheville, NC - 10 | Keystone, SD - 11 | Golden, CO - 12 | Atlanta, GA - 13 | Hood River, OR - 14 | Cumberland Falls, KY - 15 | Durango, CO - 16 | Fredericksburg, TX - 17 | SoCal, CA - 18 | Gettysburg, PA - 19

Where have you driven your S2000?

Comment

Originally posted by 4U2NV
      This sounds interesting! I have been thinking about attending a performance driving school. I was originally looking into the drivers program at Mid-Ohio.

Also, keep in mind some events in the region that will be occurring. Such as...

Black Hills Rally (May 27 - June 2)
      USGP (June 17)

Thank you!!! I was not aware of either of those events...OK, well feedback from everybody please will still be helpful maybe on some other days. I forgot the USGP was coming back....

Comment

And I do plan to organize the USGP event for 2007.

Comment

You may also want to check with all of the chapter directors in the region first to make sure we don't have any conflicts.

Comment

Yeah...startin to learn that right off the bat. At least its 6 months early...Thanks Steve...

Comment

OK - The June dates are out due to the Black Hills and USGP. How about July, any takers on July? I am assuming most would prefer the 16th, 30th or August 13th. I think July 2nd would be out.

Let me know...

Comment

Originally posted by 4U2NV
                I have been thinking about attending a performance driving school. I was originally looking into the drivers program at Mid-Ohio.

Just a word about the program and the track.

As to the program, I'd like to compare it to the Mid-Ohio schools since it was mentioned here.

The CGI school for the novice compares very favorably to the first day of the Mid-Ohio program in weighing what you learn in each. It beats the pants off of the Mid-Ohio program if you are looking for "bang for the buck"; no comparison there. CGI wins hands down.

Moreover, you get to learn on a track, Gingerman Raceway, that's clearly the safest track I've ever driven. It was designed by Alan Wilson who's internationally known for his unique but safe designs. You can totally lose the car on 95% of the track without much danger unless you go off track sideways. It's the best place to begin that I've ever seen.

For those of you familar with Putnam Park in Indiana, it's just a notch above that in safety. For those of you familiar with The Autobahn Club, it's again just a notch above that in safety. Alan Wilson designed all three of these courses. Some of his other recent achievements are Barber Motorsports Park, Mont Treblant, Beaver Run, the giant Miller Park outside of Salt Lake City and many others. Here's a link to the list of tracks and maps.Wilson Motorsport

If you are not a novice, The Mid-Ohio program offers you substantially more. The difference is that it does not cost you $625, + lodging, + 3 meals + two extra tanks of gas to get there if you're east of Indiana.

These are fairly objective comments but I should declare that I'm have a conflicting interest in wanting to see S2KCA (S2000) programs flourish and I'm an instructor at CGI. To mitigate the later conflict, CGI never has trouble filling it's class program. So, I'm not worried about having students to educate.

Comment

I'm interested!!! :drivingsk Any of those dates work for me!

I suppose you would tease me if I brought my Miata instead of the S?

Comment

We would NEVER tease you.... We will keep you updated!

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat
                      I suppose you would tease me if I brought my Miata instead of the S?
                      If you bring the S, you'll learn a lot more about driving it than you'll learn about driving the Miata. Both will be fun. That's for sure. Learning the S will be more meaningful.

Comment

Sounds like fun to me, I was planning on trying to take a class this summer anyway. Any dates are fine with me, I don't plan that far ahead so my schedule is clear.
                        1st..
                        Favorite Quotes:
                        "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." ~ Ben Franklin

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." ~ T. S. Elliot

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote..." ~ Ben Franklin

"My memory of you is better than you." ~ Lao Tzu

Comment

Sweet! I'm very interested in attending this drivers school. I've been looking for any track day/drivers school that will allow the S with stock roll bars. Plus the price is extremely reasonable.

Any date in July works right now on my end.

Great work Justin...

Brian
                          "No, there is no terrible way to win. There is only winning. "

"When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting. "

2004 AP2 Track Rat
                          2007 TL Type S
                          2008 TSX

Comment

Originally posted by hecash
                            If you bring the S, you'll learn a lot more about driving it than you'll learn about driving the Miata. Both will be fun. That's for sure. Learning the S will be more meaningful.
                            I'm pretty sure she already knows how to drive them both pretty well.

Why not just bring the Carerra 4 and thrash that thing Catherine?

Comment

I already know how to drive my S thanks annyways.
                              J/K

Comment

[QUOTE=waltss20003]I already know how to drive my S thanks annyways.
                                QUOTE]

Really?

Comment

Bart you really should go to this it will help you get out of that "Old Lady" driving sendrome that you seem to have.

Comment

Hey, I spent lots of money going to driving school to perfect that "grandma" driving style.

Comment

Also, I've never curbed my rims. *cough*

Comment

I have gotten some good feedback on this idea. Would asking for a $50 deposit (or some type of deposit) bother anybody? If this is almost 7 months away, you could make plans early and we could have a good turnout for a good driving school.

Also, this wont be an "S2KCA Only" event, so we will be able to invite non-members and maybe other enthusiasts as well. It will be fun!!

So now, I would like the people that have responded already, to respond if they would mind a deposit, and more feedback from everyone else!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X