• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago bans hand-held cell phones for drivers

May 11, 2005, 2:35PM

Chicago bans hand-held cell phones for drivers
    Associated Press

CHICAGO — Chicago officials voted today to ban drivers from using hand-held cell phones starting this summer and set fines of $50 and up for violators.

The City Council approved the ordinance without debating it, angering some aldermen who worried about suburban residents and visitors being targeted as they cross the city line.

But Mayor Richard Daley called the ordinance "good common sense."

The move follows similar bans enacted by several cities and states around the country, including New York, New Jersey and the District of Columbia.

The Chicago measure requires drivers to use hands-free devices unless they are making 911 emergency calls or are talking while the vehicle is parked. The penalties would be $50, or $200 if the driver was involved in an accident.

Alderman Edward Burke said today he is still pushing for an additional "distracted driving" measure to forbid drivers from applying makeup, shaving, or consuming food and beverages while on the road.

Source: Houston Chronicle
    "Blue Oh-Two" (#424)
    Rick's header, Hondata gasket, Mugen thermostat/fan switch, Mugen radiator cap, Aussie mirror, Lucid's rear speakers, Alpine CDA-7893R & KCE-865B, Muz's saddlebag, Windscreen Light, Modifry's glove box organizer and lots of Zaino!

Complete BS. Until you ban everything that goes on in a car, how can you ban one thing?

Then there's the issue that it should be a state-wide thing and not just a Chicago item.
    Deleted signature for the safety of my cars.....

Please note that my posts are not personal attacks - they are my observations/opinions - your opinions may vary.

Comment

Hands-free cell phone, ok. No drinks in the car? Come on, now THAT is too far.
      "Be the change you want to see in the world."
      -Mahatma Gandhi

'14 Audi S4
      '02 S2000 NFR S/C
      '79 Vespa Primavera ET3 with cylinder kit to a whopping 135 ccs!
      Interviewing candidates for vehicle #4...

Comment

Originally posted by meat
        Complete BS. Until you ban everything that goes on in a car, how can you ban one thing?

Then there's the issue that it should be a state-wide thing and not just a Chicago item.
        For once, I think we agree on something

Comment

They've been banning hand held cell phones all over the nation. They did it here in Austin about a year ago, but I haven't heard of anyone enforcing it.
          "Be the change you want to see in the world."
          -Mahatma Gandhi

'14 Audi S4
          '02 S2000 NFR S/C
          '79 Vespa Primavera ET3 with cylinder kit to a whopping 135 ccs!
          Interviewing candidates for vehicle #4...

Comment

Chicago will enforce it - it's called "Revenue".

That's all it amounts to - another way to create "Revenue".

Please note that my posts are not personal attacks - they are my observations/opinions - your opinions may vary.

Comment

I'm with Brad. Easy to target affluent owners yapping on their cell phones and generate a quick $30-40 for the City.

S2KCA - The S2000 Club of America

Comment

$50/violation and $200 if it results in an accident.

Comment

Working...
                X