Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am selling my S2000

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I am selling my S2000

    Well, maybe....

    I, the guy that swore he would NEVER sell his S2000, am very close to doing just that.

    I absolutely love this car. It has been the most fun car I have ever had. Also, it has been extremely reliable. Owning it has opened me up to a whole new world of car fun that I had not even imagined 3 years ago. Most importantly, because of this car, I have made some wonderful friends all over the country.

    So why, in Gods name, would I ever sell the car? Because I want to go racing. As much as I love the car, it really doesn't get much use. It sits in the garage for weeks at a time without being driven. When I do drive it, I DRIVE IT. It has been on several group drives, been to The Dragon a few times and been back and forth to Ohio to see my family countless times. When I think about it, I am amazed that I have about 29,500 miles on a car that has never been driven in the snow or when there is salt on the roads, has only seen rain maybe 2 dozen times and sits as much as it does.

    If I go racing, I can’t rationalize beating the hell out of this car. It is too nice. I paid too much for it to risk wadding it up into a ball. My thought is to return it back to stock condition and sell it. Then, next spring, I would like to find either a salvage title car or a theft recovery car and build it into a race car that I could prepare for both serious autocross and track duty. (Those of you that do race understand that street cars make for lousy race cars and race cars are horrible street cars.) By doing this, I am figuring that I could build a purpose built race car for FAR LESS than what my current car is worth. Then, in a year or two, I may buy a new S2000 to take over as my garage queen, or maybe buy the Porsche or NSX that I have always dreamed of having.

    Have I lost my mind? Maybe. Would I regret doing this? Absolutely. But, right now, this sounds like it would be a hell of a lot more fun.

    Your thoughts?

  • #2
    I see where you're going, because if I had the extra cash, I would try the same. Good Luck in selling your car and finding the right race car. Hope you stick around here and keep us company.
    Coop
    Life Member 57
    KE0BND
    What other people think of me, is none of my business
    It's Five O' Clock Somewhere

    Become an S2KCA member, tell them Coop sent you

    Comment


    • #3
      I dunno, why not just add a race car to the fleet. That way you have your daily driver, your fun weekend car and your track car.

      If it is not going to cost all that much to build up a racer, just do it. No real need to sacrafice your weekend cruiser.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Java
        If it is not going to cost all that much to build up a racer, just do it. No real need to sacrafice your weekend cruiser.
        That's pretty much what I think.
        "Blue Oh-Two" (#424)
        Rick's header, Hondata gasket, Mugen thermostat/fan switch, Mugen radiator cap, Aussie mirror, Lucid's rear speakers, Alpine CDA-7893R & KCE-865B, Muz's saddlebag, Windscreen Light, Modifry's glove box organizer and lots of Zaino!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Coop
          I see where you're going, because if I had the extra cash, I would try the same. Good Luck in selling your car and finding the right race car. Hope you stick around here and keep us company.
          Coop, you guys can't ever get rid of me. Well, unless I were to get banned. I don't think I can live without one now that I have experienced ownership.

          Comment


          • #6
            Did catherine get rid of hers?


            S2KCA - The S2000 Club of America

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Java
              I dunno, why not just add a race car to the fleet. That way you have your daily driver, your fun weekend car and your track car.

              If it is not going to cost all that much to build up a racer, just do it. No real need to sacrafice your weekend cruiser.
              If I had a bigger budget, I would. My plan would make the most financial sense since I am still making payments on the car. Freeing up the monthly payment will allow me to spend that much more $$$ on race tires and go-fast parts.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by WestSideBilly
                Did catherine get rid of hers?
                No, she still has it. She would be happy to trade me seat time in hers for seat time in my racecar if I do this.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by GChambers
                  No, she still has it. She would be happy to trade me seat time in hers for seat time in my racecar if I do this.
                  That seems to be a pretty good compromise. Though you'd have to fight over who drove at meets


                  S2KCA - The S2000 Club of America

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Don't forget about everything that goes with a real racecar. Do you have a truck/trailer? Do you have somewhere to put them? Do you want to make the time/money commitment to go racing for real?

                    I'd love to go racing, but the budget (time and money) just isn't there for it. So, I'll continue to have fun at HPDE's and the like.
                    Deleted signature for the safety of my cars.....

                    Please note that my posts are not personal attacks - they are my observations/opinions - your opinions may vary.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by meat
                      Don't forget about everything that goes with a real racecar. Do you have a truck/trailer? Do you have somewhere to put them? Do you want to make the time/money commitment to go racing for real?

                      I'd love to go racing, but the budget (time and money) just isn't there for it. So, I'll continue to have fun at HPDE's and the like.
                      Yes, I have thought about all of the above. This is something I have been considering for quite some time. A tow vehicle and trailor would be part of the plan. There is a storage place less than a half mile from my house that I could use to store the trailor.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I know nothing about building a race car, or what that would entail from a financial standpoint, but my thought is you should wait until Spring 2006 to decide for sure.

                        I assume the less money you would get now from a buyer for a used S2000 in Fall/Winter in Indiana would probably warrant keeping the car until the weather gets warm and thoughts of sunny warm days fill the heads of potential buyers and a tax refund check hits their account, say in March of next year.

                        To me it is like having a boat. It usually makes sense to store it over the winter and sell it when the next season approaches than to sell it at the end of the season to avoid the cost of storing it. Plus, you will be storing the race car if you bought it now anyway.

                        What are the plans for the Civic and the Miata?

                        Of course if you have a buyer in hand at a good price, or a deal in the works for the race car of your dreams, then don't wait.

                        I think that if you had already made up your mind, then you wouldn't be posting this! So the extra time my strategy affords you would also give you an opoprtunity to make sure you want to part with the S.

                        It seems that more than a few folks who have sold their S2000 wish they had it back after a few months.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have a friend that I work with that races open wheel carts. Looks like a lot of fun.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by karwath
                            I know nothing about building a race car, or what that would entail from a financial standpoint, but my thought is you should wait until Spring 2006 to decide for sure.

                            I assume the less money you would get now from a buyer for a used S2000 in Fall/Winter in Indiana would probably warrant keeping the car until the weather gets warm and thoughts of sunny warm days fill the heads of potential buyers and a tax refund check hits their account, say in March of next year.

                            To me it is like having a boat. It usually makes sense to store it over the winter and sell it when the next season approaches than to sell it at the end of the season to avoid the cost of storing it. Plus, you will be storing the race car if you bought it now anyway.

                            What are the plans for the Civic and the Miata?

                            Of course if you have a buyer in hand at a good price, or a deal in the works for the race car of your dreams, then don't wait.

                            I think that if you had already made up your mind, then you wouldn't be posting this! So the extra time my strategy affords you would also give you an opoprtunity to make sure you want to part with the S.

                            It seems that more than a few folks who have sold their S2000 wish they had it back after a few months.
                            Bart, you make great points and I have actually thought them through. I do not need to sell the car. If I were to get the right price for it, great. If I don't, it can continue to sit in the heated garage for the winter.

                            The Civic would stay for now. The Miata would almost certainly be gone. Actually, I already have a potential buyer for it. Once the new car is ready to race, the Civic would probably get sold as well.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Geoff, based on that, I say go for it.

                              You won't be happy if you don't pursue this.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                GC - don't rush into this- as I have in the past- I just purchased a Master Tow dolly to haul my new project , a WCM Ultralite ,S2K driven 1200#. You and others are welcome to use it - ie., the dolly -but wil have the oppurtunity to test drive my new project when completed.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Though I have only spent one afternoon in them for the thrill of racing I agree with Java - Shifter karts are amazing. Cost less, just as fast (or faster), I hear that there are very competitive groups. I imagine that they are not as much fun to work on, but if it is racing take a spin or two - check them out.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Norm, you did it!?!? Man, thats outstanding! I can't wait to see it!

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by gtnag
                                      Though I have only spent one afternoon in them for the thrill of racing I agree with Java - Shifter karts are amazing. Cost less, just as fast (or faster), I hear that there are very competitive groups. I imagine that they are not as much fun to work on, but if it is racing take a spin or two - check them out.
                                      Gus(Oversteer) has a kart. He seems to be having a ball with it. Maybe I will bum a ride on his.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        This maybe a repeat- But GC I would wait till spring. Not my mistaken approach when I just purhcased a Master Tow dolly to haul my next project : a WCM Ultralite S2K powered 1200# that won"t be finished until Jan. You are welcome to use the dolly if needed.

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X