Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does exhaust really increase HP

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Does exhaust really increase HP

    I was wondering if a aftermarket exhaust really increase Hp and how much. Anyone doen any before after on a Dyno and what's the best bang for the buck in exhaust.

  • #2
    And while we're on this topic I'd like to add "how do you find an exhaust that doesnt suck?"
    To clarify, these exhausts dont have any kind of warranty and you cant tell how crazy loud they are before you actually mount it to your car. So how in the heck does one go about getting an exhaust that is durable, and doesnt sound like it really belongs on an F1 car???

    I am not trying to hijack your thread racezx9, I would just like to widen the scope.

    Oh and before anybody gets wise ass and points to http://s2000library.com/, those sounds are worthless unless they are in Dolby surround with a reccomended amplifier decibel level for calibration so they can be heard at the exact same level for comparison....

    Comment


    • #3
      In order to get a noticeable 10-15hp with an exhaust for the S. You will have to go single ( J's T1r 63mm or 70mm). The aftermarket duals on the market will mainly give you a more aggressive sound ( ricey and/or throaty) and a tad in the mid range and weight reduction. The HKS is one of the best sounding dual exhaust for the S. I just transitioned from the HKS to the single T1r 70mm. The sound is deeper and much more throaty not to mention the HP gain that you can actually feel. Just my two cents...

      Comment


      • #4
        Don't forget weight savings too. You could shed up to 30lbs or more going to the single.

        Comment


        • #5
          So why would a single give you more HP gain than a dual?

          Comment


          • #6
            Less restrictive flow.


            Spider is right, for real power gains, a single is the only option. The Mugen dual gains a bit of power but you'll need a dyno to prove it.


            S2KCA - The S2000 Club of America

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by kraemer007
              To clarify, these exhausts dont have any kind of warranty and you cant tell how crazy loud they are before you actually mount it to your car. So how in the heck does one go about getting an exhaust that is durable, and doesnt sound like it really belongs on an F1 car???
              The only solid way is to find someone who has bought it and go for a ride. Even a good recording will fail to full impress the sound you'll get.

              Most owners have a biased opinion of their purchases, so their "evaluation" often ends up being a justification. Sound is mostly subjective anyway, so one man's (or woman's) "sounds great" could be another's "drones constantly and sounds like a bumblebee swarm".


              S2KCA - The S2000 Club of America

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jeffxyan
                Don't forget weight savings too. You could shed up to 30lbs or more going to the single.
                Actually Jeff, if you go with the Amuse single or the J's 60 or 70 or the Veilside, you can shed as much as 50lbs. I briefly had a Magnaflow Titanium exhaust and the entire system from the cat back weighed less than 8lbs. It was loud as hell though.

                My problem with most aftermarket S2000 exhausts is that they are either loud as hell with a measurable gain or sound good but slightly louder than stock with no hp gain. I guess you have to make sacrifices.

                Kraemer brings up a good point about the online sound clips being worthless. You can tell how they sound but not how loud they are or if they drone.

                If possible, I would try to ride in as many cars with different exhausts as possible before making a buying decision. You may also want to ask to drive the car instead of riding shotgun. For some strange reason, the drone of my exhaust isn't quite as noticeable from the passengers seat as it is from the drivers seat.

                The only exhaust that I have heard that sounds good, isn't loud, may add a few hp and is fairly lightweight is the Mugen.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Mark just took his exhaust off and drove around with it for a couple of weeks. It was actually less noisy than his invidia exhaust. If that is the case, why not just get a cheap single "pipe" and not waste the cash on an expensive single exhaust that doesnt actually reduce the noise?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I wish I could get you guys to pound these people with email http://www.corsaperf.com/arsctech2.htm
                    so they would make a phase cancellation exhaust for the s2000....
                    Its: [email protected]

                    Wait, I forgot the best part, these people actually warranty the exhaust for the life of your car! http://www.corsaperf.com/awarrantyexhaust.htm

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by GChambers
                      The only exhaust that I have heard that sounds good, isn't loud, may add a few hp and is fairly lightweight is the Mugen.
                      I agree - the Mugen is the best overall package. Very expensive but I guess you get what you pay for.


                      S2KCA - The S2000 Club of America

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by kraemer007
                        I wish I could get you guys to pound these people with email http://www.corsaperf.com/arsctech2.htm
                        so they would make a phase cancellation exhaust for the s2000....
                        Its: [email protected]

                        Wait, I forgot the best part, these people actually warranty the exhaust for the life of your car! http://www.corsaperf.com/awarrantyexhaust.htm
                        My Dad has a Corsa Indy Pace Car exhaust on his C5 and it sounds amazing!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by spiderxvpbiking
                          In order to get a noticeable 10-15hp with an exhaust for the S. You will have to go single ( J's T1r 63mm or 70mm). The aftermarket duals on the market will mainly give you a more aggressive sound ( ricey and/or throaty) and a tad in the mid range and weight reduction. The HKS is one of the best sounding dual exhaust for the S. I just transitioned from the HKS to the single T1r 70mm. The sound is deeper and much more throaty not to mention the HP gain that you can actually feel. Just my two cents...
                          How is the Fujitsubo Single Exhaust?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by paul2000
                            How is the Fujitsubo Single Exhaust?
                            Haven't heard much about this exhaust.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              spiderxvpbiking
                              Is there any major drawback to just putting in a straight pipe after the cat???

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                [QUOTE=kraemer007]spiderxvpbiking
                                Is there any major drawback to just putting in a straight pipe after the cat???[/QUOTE

                                Yes, initial throttle response due to lack of back pressure. Otherwise you will benefit from WOT...

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  so, those single exhaust have a little bit of restriction then?

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by kraemer007
                                    so, those single exhaust have a little bit of restriction then?
                                    Not a restriction, but a draw back when it comes to the inital throttle response. Single exhaust will make the car more efficient and not having to work as hard to release exhaust pressure.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by spiderxvpbiking
                                      Not a restriction, but a draw back when it comes to the inital throttle response. Single exhaust will make the car more efficient and not having to work as hard to release exhaust pressure.
                                      I have NEVER heard anyone claim less throttle response with a single exhaust or with less back pressure on any Honda.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by GChambers
                                        I have NEVER heard anyone claim less throttle response with a single exhaust or with less back pressure on any Honda.
                                        Neither did I until I talked to Dickson from J's racing and asked him what the draw backs were. Sure enough speaking from my personal experience and purchase of the T1R 70mm single exhaust. There is a difference in the intial response from stock and single.

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X