No announcement yet.

Yawn... anyone away?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly I really don't think the site is broken or has anything "wrong" with it, it's just a matter of how things have shifted in today's world. It's not just an S2KCA thing, other car forums I'm on have seen less activity and more towards Facebook. FB integrates easy with everyone's smartphones and people go there almost daily... I have to remember to go out of my way to pull up this site for use. FB has a nice easy application that has built in notifications, easy image hosting, easy event creation, etc. Basically everything is just easier.

But again, that said, I still prefer forums for car stuff, just telling you what I've seen first hand and feedback I've heard from others. It also doesn't help that the S2000 is at best a 9 year old car, if you picked up a final model year. We also no longer have the full 66,000 or so S2Ks that made it stateside with us today... many are off the road permanently now due to accidents/totaled/salvaged or just old and forgotten. There are still plenty out there, but I do think that fewer on the road, the fact that it's no longer produced, and the ease of use with FB (something that is already part of everyone's daily life) is a combination of factors for less activity on here.
    '08 Apex Blue Pearl S2000 CR (#543 of 699)
    '05 CBR600RR - 15k RPMs of fun
    '06 STi / '05 RSX-S / '05 S2000 / '03 Si - Gone but not forgotten

Comment

I agree, and thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

"It's rocket science but it's well understood rocket science." - Naveen Jain

sigpic
      2005 S2000 Silverstone Metallic - Fujita F5, ACT HDSS clutch, Work Emotion XD-9, Cobalt XR3 brake pads, Russell SS brake lines,
      Mugen reservoir socks, Modifry glove box organizer, factory headrest speakers, factory Ti shift knob, S2KCA logo throughout

Comment

I am saddened that some of the more active chapters do not share information related to their activities here, because for me it is much easier to read it here than to go to Facebook and try to find information in each chapter's own page there. Facebook is cluttered with just too many ads and entries that are not of interest to me to sort through to find entries I really want to read. When I come here, pretty much every day, I can find all of the entries easily by checking what has happened "since last visit". I hope we can somehow revitalize activity here in the site. Since we are pretty isolated physically from other members, up here in North Dakota I can enjoy the car and our S2KCA "family" fun through the forums. I enjoy seeing the pictures and reading about the get togethers that occur around the country. Keep sharing with us.☺
        S2KDays Attendee: Asheville, NC 2001 | Austin, TX 2003 | Breckenridge, CO 2004 | Las Vegas, NV 2005 | San Antonio, TX 2006 | Belterra, IN 2007 | Lake George, NY 2008 | San Francisco, CA 2009 | Asheville, NC 2010 | Keystone, SD 2011 | Golden, CO 2012 | Atlanta, GA 2013 | Hood River, OR 2014 | Cumberland Falls, KY 2015 | Durango, CO 2016 | Fredericksburg, TX 2017 | SoCal, CA 2018 | Gettysburg, PA 2019 | Bellaire, MI 2020/2021

Rose Mary
        Casselton, ND

Comment

If we want people to keep sharing on this forum, we have to do a few things.

Reply. Even if it's not in your region, reply. A few years ago, long before I found myself being asked to become the LA Chapter Director, I used to post about the EOM Drives. I think I did that for a year and a half, maybe two. I gave it my best shot. But generally I got no responses. Crickets. Occasionally I even joked about it and said things like, "Well hello crickets." I finally gave up because it seemed pointless. I was posting about S2000 drives, but there was no interest locally or even elsewhere, so I stopped. The drives continued to happen and our attendance grew, but completely outside of s2kca. So reply... always reply.

Post. Even if it seems mundane to you, post. Post about the pie you baked on Sunday (better yet, add a picture of it... ala mode!), or your favorite hobby, or the winterizing of your S2000 for storage, or the hellish weather your daily driver gets you through. If you post, people will reply. (See paragraph above.) Replies spark conversations. Conversations spark connections. Connections keep us together. Sometimes, I think those are the *only* things that keep us together. So don't extinguish the spark by not posting. Post... always post.

Just my two cents, and worth every penny you paid for it.
          -Roseanne

S2KDays: 2019 Gettysburg || 2018 SoCal || 2017 Fredericksburg || 2016 Durango || 2014 Hood River

Miscellaneous Musings:
          The most important lessons you need to know about life can be learned from a Weeble.

It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.
          -Eric Arthur Blair

If I could only give three words of advice, they would be, "tell the truth." If I got three more words, I'd add: "All the time."
          -Randy Pausch

Comment

mmmmm.......pie!

"It's rocket science but it's well understood rocket science." - Naveen Jain

sigpic
            2005 S2000 Silverstone Metallic - Fujita F5, ACT HDSS clutch, Work Emotion XD-9, Cobalt XR3 brake pads, Russell SS brake lines,
            Mugen reservoir socks, Modifry glove box organizer, factory headrest speakers, factory Ti shift knob, S2KCA logo throughout

Comment

You use Facebook? Oh man, the Russians will know about your trips!!
              Jpn,Honda,Passenger,AP2,2dr convertible/6sp-manual,BaseModel,2007,Suzuka Plant,USA#699 - Laguna Blue Pearl

S2KDays Attended: Keystone SD 2011 | Golden CO 2012 | Hood River OR 2014 | Cumberland Falls KY 2015 | Durango CO 2016

Comment

Originally posted by MoS2000 View Post
                You use Facebook? Oh man, the Russians will know about your trips!!
                Dude... u b trippin'.
                -Roseanne

S2KDays: 2019 Gettysburg || 2018 SoCal || 2017 Fredericksburg || 2016 Durango || 2014 Hood River

Miscellaneous Musings:
                The most important lessons you need to know about life can be learned from a Weeble.

-Eric Arthur Blair

If I could only give three words of advice, they would be, "tell the truth." If I got three more words, I'd add: "All the time."
                -Randy Pausch

Comment

Write something...

Comment

Originally posted by SheDrivesIt View Post
                    Write something...
                    Right something.
                    -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

Something.
                      S2K Days Attendee: Belterra, IN - 07 | Lake George, NY - 08 | San Francisco, CA - 09 | Asheville, NC - 10 | Keystone, SD - 11 | Golden, CO - 12 | Atlanta, GA - 13 | Hood River, OR - 14 | Cumberland Falls, KY - 15 | Durango, CO - 16 | Fredericksburg, TX - 17 | SoCal, CA - 18 | Gettysburg, PA - 19

Where have you driven your S2000?

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
                        I'm not trying to start an argument or debate either. I really want some input on how the club can better serve the members. If the forum has outlived its usefulness as a communication medium, then we should explore other options.
                        bored at work and stumbled in here lol... I love forums for like Fury said finding information like DIY's Pics builds but facebook has become very convenient unfortunately. (and I hate sifting thru facebook info to find something) I've been thinking maybe find a way to mix them somehow? That has been my only thought for a few years on the whole how to make car forums more active. Maybe a lil something in the S2KCA facebook page linking to specific threads or maybe even an s2kca events facebook group page that links back to the forum. (I have no clue what it would take to make any of that work and may be way more than anyone wants to put in.) I think some of it is the younger kids have just always had facebook so that is their go to for social interaction unless they need help working on the car in which they go to find information via threads etc. Also maybe be able to add forum member tags to post here to get people to come look here when they are mentioned via facebook like if i wanted Fury to see something simply type "@Fury" to tag him here. (once again no clue if any of that is possible via softare etc just something I have thought of for years as I see some forums dying)

Comment

I'm sure nobody here would be willing to post on Facebook to point back here for anything.

I'm joking of course. I do that frequently, actually. It's not difficult. But it's also not the first thing someone thinks to do (including me).

Cross-pollination is helpful. Facebook does some things great. Other things, not so much. It's awesome for organizing free events, great for sharing pictures quickly, and incredible at instantaneous communications. It is terrible at repositories of information unless someone chooses to build a collection of documents. That's a hassle. Searching an FB forum is kind of a nightmare unless what you are searching for is extremely specific and easy to create a search criteria for. And don't even get me started on the WTB/FS capabilities. It's both awesome and awful at that simultaneously.

A balance of both platforms is really important. Being willing to pitch in to create content and to promote in both locations is something all members kind of need to bring to the table as much as they can if we all want the national events to continue. That means local chapters posting when they can.

I dont know if cloud vbulletin allows linking one's vb login directly to an FB login. I personally am not fond of that feature anyway and would be unlikely to link the two systems myself.
                          -Roseanne

Miscellaneous Musings:

-Eric Arthur Blair

-Randy Pausch

Comment

Working...
                          X