Looking For a Mechanic near Newton, NJ (Sussex Country) to Inspect a Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking For a Mechanic near Newton, NJ (Sussex Country) to Inspect a Car

I'm a new member of the club. I live in Cleveland, Ohio.

I'm thinking about buying a S2000 at a Honda dealer in Newton, NJ (Sussex County). I'm looking for a mechanic in the area to look it over for me before I make a decision.

If you know of someone good who could do this for me, please let me know. Fee-based of course, not looking for a freebie. Hopefully soon as I'd like to make an offer on the car before the end of the year.

It's a 2008, red, with low miles and a hard top.
    Here's a link to the car:https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/JHMAP21498S000526
    The VIN number on one of the front panels is sprayed over so I assume the panel was repaired or replaced so the car might have been in an accident. However, Carfax does not show an accident..

I have seen the car. I drove around the parking lot but did not take it out because there was snow and salt on the road.

Thanks for any help with this!

How far are you from Long Island, NY? Billman250 is one of the best, if not The best, S2000 mechanics in the country.

Comment

Originally posted by AZS2KDancer View Post
      How far are you from Long Island, NY? Billman250 is one of the best, if not The best, S2000 mechanics in the country.
      Thank you, but LI would be too far--the car is on the western end of NJ, about a 3 hour drive from LI each way, depending on where he is on the island.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaimCaron View Post

Thank you, but LI would be too far--the car is on the western end of NJ, about a 3 hour drive from LI each way, depending on where he is on the island.
        You might want to drop him an email ([email protected]) anyway just to see what he would charge. Believe me, if there's a problem with the car, Billman would find it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
        Random Fact: "In 2007, Scotland spent £125,000 devising a new national slogan. The winning entry was: “Welcome to Scotland”."

Comment

Any decent mechanic can check over a used car, one that knows the specific brand is better, one that specializes in that particular car is best but we're not talking major surgery here, you just want to have the car looked over. Find a Honda mechanic near the car and pay him well with a smile and a tip.
          Hard top hoists- Disclaimer- You know how I feel about hard tops in general, if I lived in a worse climate with snow, slush, ice (the whole catastrophe) I might be tempted to buy one if I had an S2000 and were 20 years younger. Backstory, I grew up in NYC and lived in upstate NY for almost a decade and know my enemy. I had many cars, a couple roadsters (no hardtops), and a whole slew of beaters and the idea of a removable hardtop never crossed my mind. If I was foolish enough to move back (snowball's chance in hell) I would drive a 5 year old beater til it died and then replace it (and repeat ad infinitum).

That said, I know all about "Car Crazy" and I understand the desire for all the bells and whistles so by all means if a hard top hoist sounds good to you, and you don't overextend yourself installing one, go for it! Harken is the brand I've heard most about, and here's a thread that will tell you all about putting one in your garage:
          https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ta...017-a-1177022/

I understand your concern about theft and vandalism with a convertible/roadster (see above NYC) but I'm not sure you are any better off with a hardtop. Good parking habits, common sense, and a good car cover with a lock are (to me) a better solution. If someone wants to steal or break into a car bad enough he will succeed. Idle thought- Considering the price of hardtops you may be unintentionally inspiring a thief into stealing it! "What a revoltin' development this is!" -Jackie Gleason

Any way, "Mazel Tov"
          2000 AP1 mods: Kraftwerks high boost supercharger kit, Proflow Design throttle body, AP2 transmission, Stage 2 Competition Clutch, KW Variant 3 coilovers, RM strut tower brace, MG Racing X brace, AP2 V1 wheels, AP2 rear wing, Moddiction heat shield, Hella horns, Custom fab cold air box, Ceramic coated exhaust manifold, Fujitsubo Legalis R dual exhaust, custom front splitter, and custom vented OEM hood.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuka View Post
            Any decent mechanic can check over a used car, one that knows the specific brand is better, one that specializes in that particular car is best but we're not talking major surgery here, you just want to have the car looked over. Find a Honda mechanic near the car and pay him well with a smile and a tip.
            ...If I was foolish enough to move back (snowball's chance in hell) I would drive a 5 year old beater til it died and then replace it (and repeat ad infinitum)...
            Any way, "Mazel Tov"
            >Any decent mechanic can check over a used car, one that knows the specific brand is better...Find a Honda mechanic near the car and pay him well with a smile and a tip.
            Yes, but how to find this mechanic??
            >I grew up in NYC
            No kidding? Where and when?
            I lived in Manhattan from 69-73 (mostly east village) and again from 86-2016 (Chelsea).
            My parents were real New Yorkers. I only lived there about half my life.

I lived in Boston when I owned the '68 Buick LeSabre.

>If I was foolish enough to move back (snowball's chance in hell...
            I miss New York City and have thought about moving back, but I never will. For one thing, after April 2020, the mayor is going to charge people for driving their cars in the street below 60th street.
            Besides, it costs about $650/month to garage your car in Manhattan.
            Not going to happen.

I looked at the thread about hoists. I think I will just get a friend to help.

Comment

Born in Queens in '44, did high school @ Brooklyn Tech, lived in both boroughs on and off, worked for Dupont in Manhattan until Uncle Sam decided I needed a stint in the military for several years in the late sixties (yeah Nam). Came back, did College on the government and eventually moved upstate to Oneonta in the early seventies (with my girlfriend at the time). Eventually got married in '78 (to a lovely young lady from Rochester). By then I was so sick of freezing my ass off in upstate NY we packed up our worldly possessions and trucked out to Sunny California. Since then I've been living in the SF Bay area (Silicone Valley), working as a Design Engineer until about 11 years ago. Retired as early as I could, and we've been living the good life in sunny paradise!
              Only regret...should have bought Apple stock when I was working with them, I'd be driving a McClaren!
              Last edited by Stuka; 12-27-2019, 04:20 AM.
              2000 AP1 mods: Kraftwerks high boost supercharger kit, Proflow Design throttle body, AP2 transmission, Stage 2 Competition Clutch, KW Variant 3 coilovers, RM strut tower brace, MG Racing X brace, AP2 V1 wheels, AP2 rear wing, Moddiction heat shield, Hella horns, Custom fab cold air box, Ceramic coated exhaust manifold, Fujitsubo Legalis R dual exhaust, custom front splitter, and custom vented OEM hood.

Comment

Ms speed racer born in NJ . I have visited NYC. However I can only recommend sending Curt to look at the car. Curt is the guy that works on our cars. He only needs one name. Sort of like Madonna or Cher or ..... Coop....
                2000 NFR - Tein in car adjustable coilovers, 2.2 liter bottom end, Hardtop, K-Pro Custom Roll Bar,
                Custom Brake Vents, Custom Mod to Stock Seat, Backyard Special Low Mount Seat
                Rail from Bulletproof Automotive Koyo Radiator, Oil Cooler

Comment

Born in Queens in '44, did high school @ Brooklyn Tech, lived in both boroughs on and off, worked for Dupont in Manhattan until Uncle Sam decided I needed a stint in the military for several years in the late sixties (yeah Nam). Came back, did College on the government and eventually moved upstate to Oneonta in the early seventies (with my girlfriend at the time). Eventually got married in '78 (to a lovely young lady from Rochester). By then I was so sick of freezing my ass off in upstate NY we packed up our worldly possessions and trucked out to Sunny California. Since then I've been living in the SF Bay area (Silicone Valley), working as a Design Engineer until about 11 years ago. Retired as early as I could, and we've been living the good life in sunny paradise!
                  Only regret...should have bought Apple stock when I was working with them, I'd be driving a McClaren!
                  I was born in Brooklyn in '47, but I never lived in NYC until I was 21, lived there for 4 1/2 years from '69 to '73.
                  Then I was in Boston from '73 - '80. That's when I owned the 68 Buick LeSabre.
                  Then in San Francisco from 1980 - 1986 (Toyota Corolla: practical but wimpy after the big Buick).
                  Then back to NYC from 1986 - 2017. I drove Toyota Camry's in those years.
                  Since 2017, I've been back in Cleveland where I grew up. I now drive a Honda Accord, manual.

I miss NYC but life there is very expensive and hard in several ways, and I never would have dreamed of buying an S2000 if I lived there..

Comment

Originally posted by ChaimCaron View Post

lived there for 4 1/2 years from '69 to '73.
                    I lived in lower Manhattan from '66-'71

Random Fact: "In 2007, Scotland spent £125,000 devising a new national slogan. The winning entry was: “Welcome to Scotland”."

Comment

Sounds like we could have bumped into each other in '70 or '71 in NYC.
                      I was driving a yellow cab part time in Manhattan, do either of you remember taking a cab with a driver who looked middle eastern and had wild dark hair and a beard?

Comment

Originally posted by kgf3076 View Post
                        I lived in lower Manhattan from '66-'71
                        I never lived in Manhattan but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once!
                        David...aka 'Scooots'

'09 S2K Chicane Silver Metallic #41
                        '06 S2K Laguna Blue Pearl #952 - Gone
                        '08 Civic SI Nighthawk Black Pearl - Gone
                        '11 Ford Ranger Sport
                        '55 Vespa 'Fender Light'
                        '57 Allstate (Vespa) 'Handle Bar'
                        '58 AllState (Vespa) 'Large Body'

Comment

I was driving a yellow cab part time in Manhattan, do either of you remember taking a cab with a driver who looked middle eastern and had wild dark hair and a beard?
                          You just described about 90% of the cab drivers in the entire world.

Comment

If you ever got down to the area around the Federal Courthouse or anywhere on the lower east side, I probably rode with you.

Comment

Even the ladies?

Comment

Even the ladies?
                                Okay... 85% of the cab drivers in the entire world.

Comment

Wow, this thread has been high jacked. Is anyone trying to help the new member?

Comment

Originally posted by AZS2KDancer View Post
                                    Wow, this thread has been high jacked. Is anyone trying to help the new member?
                                    He's received a lot of help and now we're all talking about our time in NYC. Reminiscing about the "good old days" .

Comment

He's received a lot of help and now we're all talking about our time in NYC. Reminiscing about the "good old days" .
                                      Thank you, I am ok. I got the help I needed. I don't feel hijacked at all--yes we were reminiscing about the good old days.

I bought a car a few hours ago! We finished negotiations but it's not quite legal yet.

I bought the red 2008 youngster in NJ with 16,600 miles. Very excited. I will have it shipped to me--I won't take it out on the salty roads.

Now comes the hard part: waiting for spring so I can take it out of the garage.

Thanks all for your help and enthusiastic encouragement! I'm looking forward to meeting you all at club events soon.

Comment

Ken, I'll try to talk him in to coming to the Dragon one of these days! Congratulation Chaim!!!!
                                        David...aka 'Scooots'

'09 S2K Chicane Silver Metallic #41
                                        '06 S2K Laguna Blue Pearl #952 - Gone
                                        '08 Civic SI Nighthawk Black Pearl - Gone
                                        '11 Ford Ranger Sport
                                        '55 Vespa 'Fender Light'
                                        '57 Allstate (Vespa) 'Handle Bar'
                                        '58 AllState (Vespa) 'Large Body'

Comment

Working...
                                        X