Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recomendation on mechanic in RI / SE Mass area for S2000 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recomendation on mechanic in RI / SE Mass area for S2000 ?

I have a 2002 S2000 with 30k
    Anyone know a good mechanic in the RI / SE Mass. area ?

Also does anyone know anything about re-torquing the rear axle?
    I had read that they should be re-torqued to 220 lbf-ft from factory spec. of 180 lbf-ft
    Looks pretty easy from manual, only one nut to tighten.

Pretty easy job, you will need a torque wrench that can handle 220-250 ft/lbs and a 36mm socket. I would recommend taking the wheel off so you don't ding them up. Careful when you are unstriking the nuts, if you get the tip of whatever tool you use in there it can be a PITA to get the nut off.

I recommend just buying new nuts, they are like $5 at most dealers, the threads can stretch some and it is hard to get them to tighten down to 220 ft/lb.

If you goggle it you will find several good DIY's on it.

Comment

Thanks, appreciate the advice

Comment

No problem.

Sorry I can't help with the shop in your neck of the woods.

Comment

Originally posted by mlc View Post
          Pretty easy job, you will need a torque wrench that can handle 220-250 ft/lbs and a 36mm socket. I would recommend taking the wheel off so you don't ding them up. Careful when you are unstriking the nuts, if you get the tip of whatever tool you use in there it can be a PITA to get the nut off.

I recommend just buying new nuts, they are like $5 at most dealers, the threads can stretch some and it is hard to get them to tighten down to 220 ft/lb.

If you goggle it you will find several good DIY's on it.

Comment

HI
            I have wheels off and don't know how to pry up the stike? in nut
            The area bent down into the keyway that holds nut in place.
            I was going to try screw driver.
            Also i assume this area wll not line up with the keyway after re-torquing so I will have to
            punch area down into keyway ? appreciate your advice, have never done this before.

Comment

I would not give any business to Saccucci Honda of RI. Their front office and customer relations have shown a complete disconnect and disregard if client problems arise (mine in particular), that alone would turn me away from their service or sales.

If they (Saccucci Honda of RI) would return phone calls and emails I would think better of them and they could possibly redeem themselves.

And of course…this is JMO.

Also, many auto parts stores will lend out, without cost, a high capacity torque wrench and sockets. It's an easy task. I agree about the use of new axle nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by RICKSC View Post
                HI
                I have wheels off and don't know how to pry up the stike? in nut
                The area bent down into the keyway that holds nut in place.
                I was going to try screw driver.
                Also i assume this area wll not line up with the keyway after re-torquing so I will have to
                punch area down into keyway ? appreciate your advice, have never done this before.
                Sorry just saw this.

If you use a screw driver just don't pull up and down on it when you go to take it out go side to side. You will break it off in there pretty easy.

You can use a screw driver to restrike it when you put it back.

Comment

Working...
                X