X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OFFICIAL Pacific Northwest policy on driving top down in the rain

As proposed by The Mangonel and approved by the RD:

As many members have wondered if it is permissible to drive with the top down while raining, I have established the following policy to guide PNW members. Having this policy is necessary due to the amount and frequency with which we have rainy days. The intent is to prevent embarassing the club due to looking foolish while driving.
    Yes it is permissible, without embarassing the club, to drive with your top down while it is raining. However, driving top down in certain, excessive rain conditions should be avoided. The main determinant of when rain is getting too hard is actually your wind screen (that's the funny short piece of plastic between your roll bars.) While driving, if you happen to notice water spots forming on your windshield (that's the glass looking thingy in front of you) you are probably encountering rain. This is not necessarily so, as it could mean you are driving through a car wash or on your neighbor's lawn, which they are watering. It could also mean your radiator just exploded. If you determine that your are, indeed, on the road and your radiator did not explode, it is probably rain. Having your top down at this point is not a problem as the wind from driving will simply cause the rain to go up and over your passenger compartment. Thus, you keep the top down, look cool and stay dry. This is a perfectly acceptable behavior for PNW people. The way you can monitor the rain level is to check your wind screen. By looking in your rear view mirror (that thing stuck to your windshield that gets in the way of seeing trees) you can see your wind screen. If your windscreen is dry (no evil looking water spots), you are perfectly fine to continue driving. However, in some cases, you may find that the rain not only continues, but starts falling in greater quantity (fancy words for more rain.) In this case, you must monitor your wind screen more closely. If a few droplets start to appear on the wind screen, this is still no problem. A few droplets does not indicate that raising the roof is a necessity. Remember, this is the Pacific Northwest. A few water droplets don't mean nuttin'. However, if your wind screen should start getting wet to the point of water starting to run down it, we have another problem. As we are using the wind screen as our monitor of "too much rain" we must now start to take some action. Water starting to run down the wind screen is an indication of possible excessive rain. If this happens, you should take the following actions. Assuming you are the driver, turn slightly to your right in the seat. With your right arm, carefully reach back, grasp the windscreen by its top, and push it back flat. Now the windscreen no longer shows that you are in excessive rain and you can continue to drive with the top down.
    This policy is just for guidance purposes and is not an absolute requirement. If you find that your glasses are getting wet while driving in the rain, this indicates a possible downpour and you can always wimp out and put the top up.
    I hope this helps PNW members decide on top down driving in the rain, acceptable conditions. I would also discuss driving in the snow with top down, but I believe GLYTFUN should cover that area. She demonstrated intimate knowledge of those conditions on our last trip to Tacoma. Well done Traci.
    Thank you for your attention to these critical and important club functions.
    Ray
    Last edited by The Mangonel; 05-22-2013, 12:55 PM.
    Happiness is a nice road, great weather, and driving the S with Sue in the seat next to me.

"Whatever you do, where ever you go, enjoy the drive."

I know for a FACT that the last year of production of the S2000 is 2003!!!!!
    After that, it will be the S2200 under an assumed name.

Perfect! A policy that reflects reality. I love it.

Comment

I concur and am in agreement with this policy even though I may not always take full advantage of it. With the policy put down as a written doctrine, it is now possible to have driving an S2000, top down, in the rain, as a spectator sport. Seeing it in practice was almost as enjoyable and thrilling as seeing the Grand Canyon for the very first time.

Comment

It's not so tough in an S. In a Morgan, with its flat windscreen, the rain curls over the top and the inside of the windscreen gets only a little less wet than the outside. You have to have your passenger pull out her Costco card and use it as a windscreen wiper on the inside.
        sigpic

Comment

:LOL:I tested the theory yesterday, but invoked the 30 second rule! Which states that when driving top down with the windows up in the rain at highway speed and large drops start to hit you from above, you have 30 seconds to pull off the highway and get the top up.i have tested this in both the S2000 and a Mustang rental and on both occasions a monsoon started in the 30 second timeframe As the Mustang took longer to get the top up I pushed it back to 45 seconds
          sigpic

2013 Subaru BRZ, 2013 Fiat Abarth, 2003 S2000, 2014 Honda CBR 500RA, 1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite,2004 Lakeland Terrier (Sydney)

Comment

Still valid used the 30 second rule on the way back from Spring Fling 13 the other day
            sigpic

2013 Subaru BRZ, 2013 Fiat Abarth, 2003 S2000, 2014 Honda CBR 500RA, 1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite,2004 Lakeland Terrier (Sydney)

Comment

Working...
            X