WOW! Chipex works well

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOW! Chipex works well

Just used a stone chip system that worked astonishingly well. The product is called Chipex ( www.chipex.co.uk or www.chipex.com ), and comes in a kit with a claimed "exact match" for your paint. I had ordered this product prior to going to S2KDays, so it was waiting for me when I returned. I set to work on the myriad recently acquired road rash, not expecting much. But after my first round of work, this product REALLY worked for me. As Laguna Blue owners will attest, the underlying primer is a whitish-grey, which means that chips look really ugly, and even the tiniest chip shows up like crazy.

I didn't find any hits when I searched for this product on the forum, so I'll go ahead and provide a precis of how its used:

Wash and dry the car. Use some of the blending solution to clean the specific chips you want to fix. Then you use a small fuzzy-brush to put a dab of the paint on each chip - you can use your gloved finger to smear it if you want, but it will work without that too. You let it all dry (approx. 10 mins), then you use the blending solution and a cloth to wipe over the paint dabs (without any pressure), and it takes off the excess paint and levels off the chip. At first it doesn't look like its doing anything, and then as you keep rubbing gently, you realize the excess paint is gone. In some cases all the paint is removed if you are too aggressive, in which case, you just repeat the process. Eventually, you use a provided polishing fluid to smooth over it, and voila! You really have to look closely to figure out where the chips were! In fact, I had to mark the chips with a small piece of masking tape to remind me where they were!

The kit includes enough stuff to take care of hundreds of chips - matched paint, blending solution, brushes, polishing compound, cloth for the blending solution and a towel for the polish. I think everything other than the paint itself are common items that can be bought anywhere.

I probably fixed 50 or 60 in the first go-around - most of the one's on the hood and some on the door panels. Now I will go ahead and do the one's on the bumper (there are hundreds, and will take patience).

There is a video on their website that basically shows you how to do it.

I wish I had taken before pictures, but as I mentioned I wasn't expecting much. I have a lot of tiny chips left now, and I don't think they will come out in photographs anyways.
    A definite "yes" from me, for this product. Not cheap though!
    Jpn,Honda,Passenger,AP2,2dr convertible/6sp-manual,BaseModel,2007,Suzuka Plant,USA#699 - Laguna Blue Pearl

S2KDays Attended: Keystone SD 2011 | Golden CO 2012 | Hood River OR 2014 | Cumberland Falls KY 2015 | Durango CO 2016

Sweet!
    This Too Shall Pass

If it has tires or testicles, it is going to give you trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by MoS2000 View Post
      Just used a stone chip system that worked astonishingly well. The product is called Chipex ( www.chipex.co.uk or www.chipex.com ), and comes in a kit with a claimed "exact match" for your paint. I had ordered this product prior to going to S2KDays, so it was waiting for me when I returned. I set to work on the myriad recently acquired road rash, not expecting much. But after my first round of work, this product REALLY worked for me. As Laguna Blue owners will attest, the underlying primer is a whitish-grey, which means that chips look really ugly, and even the tiniest chip shows up like crazy.

I didn't find any hits when I searched for this product on the forum, so I'll go ahead and provide a precis of how its used:

Wash and dry the car. Use some of the blending solution to clean the specific chips you want to fix. Then you use a small fuzzy-brush to put a dab of the paint on each chip - you can use your gloved finger to smear it if you want, but it will work without that too. You let it all dry (approx. 10 mins), then you use the blending solution and a cloth to wipe over the paint dabs (without any pressure), and it takes off the excess paint and levels off the chip. At first it doesn't look like its doing anything, and then as you keep rubbing gently, you realize the excess paint is gone. In some cases all the paint is removed if you are too aggressive, in which case, you just repeat the process. Eventually, you use a provided polishing fluid to smooth over it, and voila! You really have to look closely to figure out where the chips were! In fact, I had to mark the chips with a small piece of masking tape to remind me where they were!

The kit includes enough stuff to take care of hundreds of chips - matched paint, blending solution, brushes, polishing compound, cloth for the blending solution and a towel for the polish. I think everything other than the paint itself are common items that can be bought anywhere.

I probably fixed 50 or 60 in the first go-around - most of the one's on the hood and some on the door panels. Now I will go ahead and do the one's on the bumper (there are hundreds, and will take patience).

There is a video on their website that basically shows you how to do it.

I wish I had taken before pictures, but as I mentioned I wasn't expecting much. I have a lot of tiny chips left now, and I don't think they will come out in photographs anyways.
      A definite "yes" from me, for this product. Not cheap though!

Comment

That sounds great-let us know where you ordered it so we can try it on our car.

Comment

Here's the link Bob.
          www.chipex.com
          The colour code for our cars is B545P - Bermuda Blue Pearl (Laguna Blue in the US)
          Jpn,Honda,Passenger,AP2,2dr convertible/6sp-manual,BaseModel,2007,Suzuka Plant,USA#699 - Laguna Blue Pearl

S2KDays Attended: Keystone SD 2011 | Golden CO 2012 | Hood River OR 2014 | Cumberland Falls KY 2015 | Durango CO 2016

Comment

Thanks for the post. I will have to give it a try.

Comment

WOW...Thanks Mo...Just ordered the medium kit for my Silverstone S...!!!!
              MY'03....Silverstone / Red Loaded with "Whistles, Bells & Toys"....

Life's journey is not to arrive @ the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to "skid" in sideways, totally worn out, shouting"...holy sh*t...what a ride!"

Comment

$59 seems very reasonable for the large kit, but I'd have to pay someone to do it for me. The "dandruff" on the hood of my Laguna looks awful, but I don't have the patience.

Denny, maybe you could do my car after you do yours!

Comment

I would have needed like 20 bottles to take care of the Berlina...it was awful

Comment

Just ordered large kit for NFR. Hood, bumper, and lip look like hundreds of snow flakes!

Comment

Oh, intense pressure! Now everyone's buying it, and I'll get blamed if it doesn't work for them!!
                      Just kidding, you will be surprised by how well it works. Make sure to try it on one chip first, just to get used to the process.

Comment

Oh, and I would recommend first going after the chips on metal, and then a second wave for the bumper.
                        It took me two or three rounds to get all the chips on metal, because I was too aggressive with the blending solution, and was taking off all the paint that I had brushed on. It took a while before I realized that I was applying pressure when I was blending.

Comment

Originally posted by onu2002 View Post
                          $59 seems very reasonable for the large kit, but I'd have to pay someone to do it for me. The "dandruff" on the hood of my Laguna looks awful, but I don't have the patience.

Denny, maybe you could do my car after you do yours!
                          Bring it down to "Tech Day" Tom...Soon as the "OFFICIAL" date is determined ..!!!
                          MY'03....Silverstone / Red Loaded with "Whistles, Bells & Toys"....

Life's journey is not to arrive @ the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to "skid" in sideways, totally worn out, shouting"...holy sh*t...what a ride!"

Comment

Working...
                          X