December 2nd and 3rd - Hollister to Cambria with Hearst Castle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• December 2nd and 3rd - Hollister to Cambria with Hearst Castle

I decided to show the other drive as cancelled and start a new thread. First, based on the most recent article I could find, it sounds like Highway 1 at Salmon Creek won't be open until Summer 2018. So the coastal route is not an option.

We'll start the day in Hollister at 10:00AM, at the Safeway market (we've started drives here before; 591 Tres Pinos Road). Safeway link. We'll probably spend Friday night in Hollister.

Please plan for a picnic lunch or pick up a sandwich to go at Safeway. There aren't many places to eat along highway 25.

Saturday night we'll stay at the Oceanpoint Ranch. This is the same place we've stayed in the past, but it's been rebranded. If you'd rather stay elsewhere in Cambria, that's no problem. Oceanpoint Ranch

The route will take us down Highway 25. Google Maps link I still have to scout the southern portion of this route.

Anyone interested is invited to a Hearst Castle evening tour. Link. There are plenty of slots available for the 7:30 tour. Cost is $36 per person. If interested, please book this as soon as possible, and be sure to book the "Evening tour".

We'll also do some wine tasting in the afternoon, and we'll probably go to Linn's restaurant for dinner. More details as we get closer to the date.

I'd rather not share news of this drive outside the S2KCA forums.

******* Added Nov 11, 2017....

For those that are able to stay into Sunday, I thought we'd head out about 9:30, and have brunch in Morro Bay. Then we'd head out on Hwy 41...

https://goo.gl/maps/cC1XpehwJWu

(Thanks, Mike, for helping me work out the route) And then maybe stop at a winery or two in Paso Robles.

******* Added Nov 21, 2017

I completed a drive of Peach Tree and Indian Valley roads today, and they look good. A bit bumpy in spots but no real problem. Definitely off the beaten path. So I'll stick with the route.

I think Camp Roberts, along CA Hwy 101, would be a good lunch stop. They have picnic tables at a small historical museum. Those not bringing stuff from home, can pick up a sandwich at Safeway before we head out of Hollister. There are some access requirements for the base. Please let me know if this doesn't work out for you....

Access: If visitors do not possess an active or retired military ID card, they must stop at the Security Office to obtain a visitor pass before entering the Camp. A Driver's license, vehicle registration and proof of insurance will be needed to get the pass.

I will be making dinner reservations at Linn's. Please confirm you'll be here so I can get a count. Thanks.

Attendees:
    thereur - 2
    rpaluck - 2
    bsublue - 2
    TIS HIMSELF - 1
    jgadams - 2
    stuka - 2

Last edited by thereur; Today, 08:24 AM.
    S2K Days 2009 photos

Looking forward to drive... Have tix for tour. Staying over Friday nite in Hollister also.

Russell Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
    ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid
    Hawk Performance Ceramic Brake Pads /Axxis ULT Ceramic
    Speed Bleeder Products
    17" BBS RGR Michelin PS2 SPORT
    So many roads, so little time

Comment

I cancelled our night in Carmel and bought our tickets for Hearst Castle today. I think we will just drive down to Hollister Saturday morning and meet you guys there.

Comment

Just a reminder.... I noticed tickets are starting to sell for the Hearst Castle tour, so they won't be available much longer.
        S2K Days 2009 photos

Comment

Here's a look at Peach Tree Road. I'm going to drive it this weekend to make sure there's no surprises.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HMtkBW2r_4

note - if you're not familiar with the CA Central Coast, this is typical
          S2K Days 2009 photos

Comment

looks nice, as does the next..... Peach Tree Rd and Indian Valley Rd from CA 198 to San Miguel

Russell Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
            ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid
            Hawk Performance Ceramic Brake Pads /Axxis ULT Ceramic
            Speed Bleeder Products
            17" BBS RGR Michelin PS2 SPORT
            So many roads, so little time

Comment

I drove over Peach Tree and Indian Valley several times many years ago in my 85 Toyota MR2. Real back country road. It was in good shape back then. There were NO SERVICES until you reach San Miguel. My guess is that has not changed and that there will be no cellular service either. I am planning on driving down on Saturday morning. See you then.
              Mike McLaughlin

'02 S2000

Comment

Originally posted by TIS HIMSELF View Post
                I drove over Peach Tree and Indian Valley several times many years ago in my 85 Toyota MR2. Real back country road. It was in good shape back then. There were NO SERVICES until you reach San Miguel. My guess is that has not changed and that there will be no cellular service either. I am planning on driving down on Saturday morning. See you then.
                Good to hear. We haven't gotten to scouting it out yet. Hopefully next week.

Originally posted by rpaluck
                looks nice, as does the next..... Peach Tree Rd and Indian Valley Rd from CA 198 to San Miguel
                Yes, Narrow but in good shape.
                S2K Days 2009 photos

Comment

I added highlighted information at the top of this thread.
                  S2K Days 2009 photos

Comment

Karen and I are thinking of jumping in on this ("crashing" seems like a terrible word to use for a car club event, even though we are coming from So Cal for Nor Cal activity). I just want to confirm, the plan is to have dinner at Linn's AND do the 7:30 pm tour at Hearst Castle, right?

We drove that back road between San Miguel and Hollister a bunch of times when my daughter was at San Jose State and we've really missed it since she moved back here. It's great having her local, but we really miss that drive!

Comment

Originally posted by jgadams View Post
                      Karen and I are thinking of jumping in on this ("crashing" seems like a terrible word to use for a car club event, even though we are coming from So Cal for Nor Cal activity). I just want to confirm, the plan is to have dinner at Linn's AND do the 7:30 pm tour at Hearst Castle, right? We drove that back road between San Miguel and Hollister a bunch of times when my daughter was at San Jose State and we've really missed it since she moved back here. It's great having her local, but we really miss that drive!
                      Sounds great! I think the last time I saw you two was SF S2KDays. Karen taught Marianne to use the convertible boot as extra storage... I never quite forgave her for that.

Yes, you've got it right. Please do buy the Hearst Castle tickets early if possible. The tours do usually fill up at some point. Looking forward to seeing you two.
                      S2K Days 2009 photos

Comment

Well, it's two weeks out and, as much as it pains me to have to say this, I have to back out of going on this trip. I will be canceling my hotel reservations.

Between work and the fact that the property managers just let me know this week that they plan to tent/fumigate our apartment building for three days Dec 6-8, I'm kind of stretched a bit too thin. For those who have never been through it, the prep process for a building tenting kind of sucks. You have to either double ziplock bag in industrial strength bags any opened food products in your cabinets and refrigerator/freezer or just move it all out to somewhere else. Basically, if it isn't a canned food, it's best to just pack it because anything that comes in contact with the gas is suspect. This also applies to anything in the medicine cabinet as well. And plants. So I have to pack up this stuff, find a place for all of it to live for three days, and do the same for myself as well. Sadly, it's a necessary process when a building has termites enough that can't be spot treated (which is pretty much every structure in SoCal at some point in time). I don't fault them for doing this... heck, I'm one of the tenants who keeps warning them that they have a very bad infestation that should be treated. But it sure does put a major kink in my calendar for the entire week. I can be happy though that I don't have an aquarium like my neighbor across the hall does.

Anyway, more detail than you needed to know, but that's what is happening with me.
                        -Roseanne

"Wait... r.murphy isn't a dude?"
                        California Dreamin'

FOLLOW S2KCA-LA ON FACEBOOK:
                        https://www.facebook.com/S2KCALA/

Comment

That's a shame Roseanne, it should be a lot of fun. We'll raise a glass to you at the hotel party.
                          Yes, we've tented the house several times and it's nasty, can't imagine how much worse it must be in an apartment house. Even knowing weeks ahead doesn't help much. Some consolation yes, aquariums are a royal pain!
                          2000 AP1 mods: Kraftwerks high boost supercharger kit, Proflow Design throttle body, AP2 transmission, Stage 2 Competition Clutch, KW Variant 3 coilovers, RM strut tower brace, MG Racing X brace, AP2 V1 wheels, AP2 rear wing, Moddiction heat shield, Hella horns, Custom fab cold air box, Ceramic coated exhaust manifold, Fujitsubo Legalis R dual exhaust, custom front splitter, and custom vented OEM hood.

Comment

^^ Yeah, I'm massively bummed. Do indeed raise a glass or two for me! Oceanpoint Ranch really looks like a dream hotel get away complete with firepits and... *sigh*
                            -Roseanne

"Wait... r.murphy isn't a dude?"
                            California Dreamin'

FOLLOW S2KCA-LA ON FACEBOOK:
                            https://www.facebook.com/S2KCALA/

Comment

Originally posted by R.Murphy View Post
                              ^^ Yeah, I'm massively bummed. Do indeed raise a glass or two for me! Oceanpoint Ranch really looks like a dream hotel get away complete with firepits and... *sigh*
                              Very sorry you can't make it, Roseanne. Maybe move to Norcal. We have mostly the subterranean termites, and it's very rare to see places tented. Good luck with the tenting.

S2K Days 2009 photos

Comment

Working...
                              X