Life in Little Rock, Arkansas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life in Little Rock, Arkansas...

I'm thinking about taking a job in the Little Rock area, and was wondering if anyone here would like to tell me what you think of the area, specifically about the Little Rock area. If memory serves me correctly, the S should like the area...

I did some initial checking, and it appears Arkansas, tax wise, will be more expensive than Virginia (both sales and income taxes {what a screwy sales tax system AR has}), but the cost of living, aside from taxes, should be a whole lot more reasonable than the insanity of Northern VA.

What about grocery stores (quality, etc), restaurants, things to do? Any comments?

I know this is an open ended kind of question, but please free to say what you will about living in Arkansas. I'm interested in your opinion.

Coop was stationed there when he was in the military. Aside from mentioning the humidity, he really liked it!

Comment

Originally posted by MsS2000
      Coop was stationed there when he was in the military. Aside from mentioning the humidity, he really liked it!
      The humidity... I spent summers in East Texas...

And its got to be better than the blistering heat of DFW. Probably not by much, though.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

I really like it, but it was also 25 years ago. There where some nice place to eat and night clubs. The roads to the west and north of town are great for an S2000.

As for the heat, one year they where talking about the deaths in DFW because of the heat wave and at Little Rock AFB, we where about 2-3 degs cooler and the flight line was 5 degs hotter. The area also gets ice storms, where everything gets covered on ice, about 2 a year, where you can drive anyplace.
        Coop
        Life Member 57
        Friends do things for friends because they matter, thanks Sean, Jeff, David & Curt. Camping time
        It's Five O' Clock Somewhere
        Become an S2KCA member, tell them Coop sent you

Comment

Originally posted by Coop
          I really like it, but it was also 25 years ago. There where some nice place to eat and night clubs. The roads to the west and north of town are great for an S2000.

As for the heat, one year they where talking about the deaths in DFW because of the heat wave and at Little Rock AFB, we where about 2-3 degs cooler and the flight line was 5 degs hotter. The area also gets ice storms, where everything gets covered on ice, about 2 a year, where you can drive anyplace.
          Appreciate the reply...

Ice... Yeah, now that you mention it, Little Rock is in that weather band that has the potential for ice storms each year. Got caught in an ice storm one year, driving back to DFW, in a pick up truck no less. Not fun, but I did figure out a way, while tip toeing along I-30, how to keep ice off the windshield. Not terribly practical, but it would work.

In 25 years, a lot changes in a community. I imagine, like many other smaller cities of the south, things have gotten better, in all those criteria one uses.

Until I actually get to see the area, my internet look see makes me think the Little Rock area might be a nice trade off between Northern Virginia and the DFW area. We'll see soon enough.

Comment

A few times that I have passed through there on trips, makes me think I would like to go back for a time or maybe retire to.
            Coop
            Life Member 57
            Friends do things for friends because they matter, thanks Sean, Jeff, David & Curt. Camping time
            It's Five O' Clock Somewhere
            Become an S2KCA member, tell them Coop sent you

Comment

I've been there a couple times and I really like the area.... I think there is a lot of gang activity in LR though - so make sure you get some info from locals on which part of town to stay away from!

Comment

go to egullet.com and search for Little Rock and you'll find more information about restaurants and grocery stores and food in general than you can digest (pardon the pun but I couldn't resist) in a month.
                ----------------------------------------------------------------------
                Random Fact: "There are less than 30 ships in the Royal Canadian Navy which is less than most third-world countries."

Comment

Working...
                X