Hard Top Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Top Question

Good morning everyone, I am new to the site and I just ordered a 2007 S2000 so I am excited to find a web forum with so much information.

My questions is this; should I buy the hard top or not. This will be my 3rd car and will only be driven in good conditions. The car will live in the garage except on sunny days so is it necessary. Is there any benefit to a person who will not be driving it in cold or rainy weather.

I don't mind spending the money I just want to make a more informed decision before i spend the money.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome! If your only gonna drive it in good weather you'll probably want to put the top down. Theres other, better ways to spend 3k-5k, you can start by purchasing a membership to S2KCA.

Comment

I agree....if your only going to drive it in good weather, you will have the top down, so no need for a hard top. Will you go to the track? if you are going to track you car, then the HT will be good for that. Otherwise, use the 3K-5K to for other mods like a membership, Fujita CAI, and especially the stereo.

'06 Laguna Blue - Sold

Comment

If you like the style, and would like the ability to put one on in bad weather or something, go for it.

If you don't particularly care for the style of the hardtop, I wouldn't worry about it as the soft top keeps bad weather out just fine.

Comment

I have the hardtop and I think it's the best upgrade you can get for your S, but I bought it for exactly those reasons that don't pertain to you. It's my only car, rain or shine, and I will soon be driving it in a much colder, wetter climate than we have here in Houston. For those conditions, it's infinitely better than the softtop.

When it's nice weather, I'd rather ditch the top and go topless. If I were you, I would skip on the hardtop, unless:

1) You don't plan on driving with the top down, even in nice weather. (i.e. you would have bought an S2000 coupe if it was available, like me* )
          2) You're planning on taking long trips. Hardtops make multi-hour drives much more comfortable.
          3) You want the added (sense of) security. Since you'll garage the S, this may not matter much to you.

Hardtop drawbacks:
          1: Although it's very easy to put on and remove, it's a two-person job, and take a lot of storage room.
          2: If you have it on, and the weather suddenly turns nice, you can't just drop the top at the next traffic light.

edit: Ninja has a very good point: style! I love the look of the OEM hardtop. It makes the S look like no other car, and gives it a very elegant look, IMO.

Comment

I picked up my hardtop for a little more than 2k. It changes the look of the car and its nice for the quieter interior also.

Comment

Thanks everyone, I do plan on taking it on a few road trips and I would like to continue to drive it in the winter as weather allows and I imagine the hard top is better in the cold for regulating cabin temperature.

I appreciate all of the info.

M.Carrillo

Comment

Originally posted by Jesuis
                1) You don't plan on driving with the top down, even in nice weather. (i.e. you would have bought an S2000 coupe if it was available, like me* )
                Amen to that!

Originally posted by Jesuis
                1: Although it's very easy to put on and remove, it's a two-person job, and take a lot of storage room.
                yeah i always have to either make my husband come down and help me or if he isnt around i gotta flag down someone in the neighborhood.

Comment

Originally posted by Voodooboy
                  Thanks everyone, I do plan on taking it on a few road trips and I would like to continue to drive it in the winter as weather allows and I imagine the hard top is better in the cold for regulating cabin temperature.

I appreciate all of the info.

M.Carrillo
                  Just so you know - the heater in this bad boy is not an issue with the soft top, or, for that matter, with the top down in cool weather. It doesn't take long to heat up and once it gets going you will want to turn it down before you burn up.
                  Davo

The older I get, the faster I was

'02 Sebring Silver
                  '07 VW Touareg V6
                  '70 Volvo 1800E

Comment

yeah i have to say that was one of my top priorities before i got the car: how well does it heat up! yes i know, im such a wimp in the cold

Comment

I just got one but there are no instructions for installing the parts-did you find them anywhere or just figure it out on your own. I don't want to pay $300 to have it done because it can't be that hard

Comment

i got mine from the dealer and it had install instructions.
                        if ur in so cal id be happy to let u make copies of it.

Comment

Originally posted by scottmartin View Post
                          I just got one but there are no instructions for installing the parts-did you find them anywhere or just figure it out on your own. I don't want to pay $300 to have it done because it can't be that hard
                          this might help

http://www.cheaphondaparts.com/shop/...s/AII24242.pdf

Comment

Working...
                          X