Front plate.... I give in.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front plate.... I give in.

Welp.... the front license plate is going back on the S this weekend... I got pulled over by a state trooper last weekend on 35 between Dallas and Hillsboro for it (no ticket... just a written warning).

I've been saying for the past couple years that I knew I'd have to pay the "no-plate tax" eventually... but now that I've been pulled over for it I'm not feeling as brave

How's Austin treating you Glen? Haven't seen you on the boards in a while.

I've had my front plate on for a while now - ever since I got a warning from a trooper in my Rodeo. I just didn't want to give them any other reason to pull me out of line.

I hope all is going well after the big move and we hope to see you now and then.
    Davo

The older I get, the faster I was

'02 Sebring Silver
    '07 VW Touareg V6
    '70 Volvo 1800E

Comment

Sorry to hear about getting pulled over.

I'm at 1 year with no front plate and not pulled over. Last week I even turned right in front of 3 motorcycle cops on a speed trap with no issues. I was 5 feet away from them as I wrapped arround where they were sitting.

I hope my day doesn't come.

Comment

ive already had 2 tickets in my car (both for speeding) but the cops never said a word about my nonexistant front plate. i suppose when ur already going WELL over the speed limit the figure thats enough

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser442 View Post
          Welp.... the front license plate is going back on the S this weekend... I got pulled over by a state trooper last weekend on 35 between Dallas and Hillsboro for it (no ticket... just a written warning).

I've been saying for the past couple years that I knew I'd have to pay the "no-plate tax" eventually... but now that I've been pulled over for it I'm not feeling as brave
          man I feel for you, and have been there, that's the reason I have a front plate.
          Coop
          Life Member 57
          Friends do things for friends because they matter, thanks Sean, Jeff, David & Curt. Camping time
          It's Five O' Clock Somewhere
          Become an S2KCA member, tell them Coop sent you

Comment

You know that the front plate is used as the target for laser speed checking devices, right? I have my front plate but it's coated with a non-reflective coating (supposedly it won't reflect back to the speed gun). Only time I've been pulled over was from being paced so I assume it's working.
            ----------------------------------------------------------------------
            Random Fact: "There are less than 30 ships in the Royal Canadian Navy which is less than most third-world countries."

Comment

Originally posted by kgf3076 View Post
              You know that the front plate is used as the target for laser speed checking devices, right? I have my front plate but it's coated with a non-reflective coating (supposedly it won't reflect back to the speed gun). Only time I've been pulled over was from being paced so I assume it's working.
              I have wondered if it's absence has helped before.... it certainly reduces the radar profile of the car

I do have both plates covered in Photoblocker (even though the plate was off the car I went ahead and sprayed it when I got the can)... but I really don't think it works.

Davo - things are going pretty well.... the new job is great and there are some awesome mountain bike trails right by where i'm living (for the record, I fit my full size mountain bike in my S! I was going to take a pic but didn't have a camera handy. I took the passenger seat out of the car and removed the wheels/seat of the bike to make it fit). Becky is taking forever to finish her business up here and I'm tired of driving back and forth.... but it'll eventually work out.

Comment

Nah they got me quite nicely one night without a plate. There are plenty of shiny things to reflect off of. For what its worth the cop didn’t even mention my plate he just gave me a nice chat about my rate of speed. I was in the wrong an knew it, was polite and paid my fine.......
                06 S2000 NFR - fujita intake, modify organizer, windscreen light, custom stereo - FOR SALE
                09 BMW X5 White with black int. - Stock.....
                14 Porsche 911 4S white with brown top, expresso and cognac int – clear bra, passport 9500ci, smartTOP

Comment

Originally posted by kgf3076 View Post
                  You are correct about laser detection, the front plate is what they aim at. There is really no other flat surface for the laser light to bounce off of and get a clean return. But radar is a different story. The radiator is the perfect reflector for it. If you want some radar protection you can put a piece of chicken wire at a angle in front of your radiator so the signal will bounce upward. For the rear there is nothing much you can do unless you paint the car with a radar absorbent coating.

Jonathan
                  MY 00 #3510
                  ]Mugen Airbox, Headers, Exhaust, Pressure Plate,LSD, Radiator cap NZ dampers, Thermo SW seat track and Thermostat. Sampco intake pipe and radiator hoses, Swift sway bars, Stillen rotors, BBS JDM Forged Wheels.w/ Potensa Re=01R's Nextgear Intake manifold gasket, SPA gauges, Alpine IDA-X001, KCE-350Bt BT adapter, Focal 165-K2P 6.25" Speakers, Phoenix Gold ZX475Ti, Recaro Profi SPG w/Sparco 6 pt harness

[/COLOR]

Comment

I have one of these for when the day comes that I have to put mine on.
                    http://www.ricks2k.com/products/plateholder.php
                    Happiness is a nice road, great weather, and driving the S with Sue in the seat next to me.

"Whatever you do, where ever you go, enjoy the drive."

I know for a FACT that the last year of production of the S2000 is 2003!!!!!
                    After that, it will be the S2200 under an assumed name.

Comment

You are all welcome to move to Saskatchewan. Clean air, inexpensive real estate, abundant natural resources, radar detectors are legal, and no front license plate is required.

Comment

Originally posted by gomarlins3 View Post
                        I have one of these for when the day comes that I have to put mine on.
                        http://www.ricks2k.com/products/plateholder.php
                        That's a good solution, however with a Mugen airbox any front licenses plate will obstruct the intake.
                        So far I've been lucky in Richmond, VA

Jonathan
                        MY 00 #3510
                        ]Mugen Airbox, Headers, Exhaust, Pressure Plate,LSD, Radiator cap NZ dampers, Thermo SW seat track and Thermostat. Sampco intake pipe and radiator hoses, Swift sway bars, Stillen rotors, BBS JDM Forged Wheels.w/ Potensa Re=01R's Nextgear Intake manifold gasket, SPA gauges, Alpine IDA-X001, KCE-350Bt BT adapter, Focal 165-K2P 6.25" Speakers, Phoenix Gold ZX475Ti, Recaro Profi SPG w/Sparco 6 pt harness

[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by S2K Ian View Post
                          You are all welcome to move to Saskatchewan. Clean air, inexpensive real estate, abundant natural resources, radar detectors are legal, and no front license plate is required.
                          I was driving my other car today and realized I don't have a front plate on that either! I've been in Texas for 2 1/2 years without front plates with no problems.

The only front plate I ever put on a car was on one my EX took in the divorce. So there we have it. Scientific proof that front plates result in bad things hapening to people.

Comment

Too bad. The S does not want a front plate.

Comment

Did I mention that I was pulled over the other day (I think approx. 90 or so, but I am not sure), and the cop just let me go with a warning? The missing plate did not even come up in the conversation...

Don't sweat it.
                              "Blue Oh-Two" (#424)
                              Rick's header, Hondata gasket, Mugen thermostat/fan switch, Mugen radiator cap, Aussie mirror, Lucid's rear speakers, Alpine CDA-7893R & KCE-865B, Muz's saddlebag, Windscreen Light, Modifry's glove box organizer and lots of Zaino!

Comment

I've been pulled over twice (ticketed once) in the M3, 3 times (ticketed twice) in the S2000, 1 time & ticketed in the Miata, and 1 time & tickted in the Camry.

I can't get a break

Comment

I think on Mythbusters they showed that regardless of the angle, color, or reflection properties of your vehicle, both a laser and radar will nail you. Having your front plate, on, off, or coated does not help/hurt when it comes to radar/laser.

I wouldn't have a front plate on my S, but the last owner used an incorrect screw on the ugly plastic holder so it's stuck on my front bumper. I figured I might as well put a plate on it.

Comment

No front plate for me until caught. Come and get me copper
                                    David...aka 'Scooots'

'09 S2K Chicane Silver Metallic #41
                                    '06 S2K Laguna Blue Pearl #952 - Gone
                                    '08 Civic SI Nighthawk Black Pearl - Gone
                                    '11 Ford Ranger Sport
                                    '55 Vespa 'Fender Light'
                                    '57 Allstate (Vespa) 'Handle Bar'
                                    '58 AllState (Vespa) 'Large Body'

Comment

Originally posted by Ulrich View Post
                                      Did I mention that I was pulled over the other day (I think approx. 90 or so, but I am not sure), and the cop just let me go with a warning? The missing plate did not even come up in the conversation...
                                      Ulrich, are you running on some kind of diplomatic immunity? Or is it just your good looks and charm?

Comment

I think it's just karmic balancing given all the tickets I got in my younger years...
                                        "Blue Oh-Two" (#424)
                                        Rick's header, Hondata gasket, Mugen thermostat/fan switch, Mugen radiator cap, Aussie mirror, Lucid's rear speakers, Alpine CDA-7893R & KCE-865B, Muz's saddlebag, Windscreen Light, Modifry's glove box organizer and lots of Zaino!

Comment

Working...
                                        X