Mugen steering wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mugen steering wheel

I was about to buy a Mugen Steering wheel and a steering wheel hub (not the mugen as it extends the wheel to far from the dash).

My main concern is legality and whether I should care. I already have a Takata 6 point harness and will be connecting it to a roll bar (probably the Mugen) so the air bag isn't really going to be that helpful safety wise anyways.

I know that I need to find a hub that will deal with the SRS light, but I'm not sure which one won't extend the steering wheel much further than the stock setup.

Are there any other concerns or suggestions?

First off, running a roll bar without a helmet. Also, running a 6 point harness with out the proper seats, and mounting is just as unsafe. It is more unsafe to run 6pts with the wrong seats and a roll bar withoutt a helmet on the streets than the OEM safety equepment. But it is your body, so you can deside.

On the hub, a splash hub (Works Bell) will fit your requirements. In fact most hubs (with the exception of the Mugen) have the required SRS defeat included.

Comment

I'm going to have to disagree with your comments about safety. In my case the roll bar setup I have in mind will make it safer actually. My head is well above the stock bar and if anyone thinks that is safe in any sort of flip over scenario then they are simply insane. The idea that some have stated on the forums that in a crash that the standard seat belt will allow my body to move to the side thus prevent my head from hitting the pavement is wacky too. Gravity anyone? With the stock setup if I actually managed to flip it would most likely either smack my head directly into the pavement (then maybe what's left of my body would move over to the side)... or I would flip and then stay upside down as gravity forced my head to drag across the pavement and scrape my head off like piece of fruit pushed into a grinder... or if it flipped over and over my head would be smashed flat like a tin can that keeps getting stomped on by someone's boot! The fact that the car is rated as having a great flip over rating means nothing when my head is way over the bar.

Plus I keep the seat about 7-8 inches forward from where the Mugen bar will be. I won't be wearing the 6-point on the street. The top of the harness will be mounted to the designated mounting points on the Mugen bar, while the rear will be mounted with welded in support brackets under the seat in the correct locations. Only using the "ghetto mount" technique for mounting the harness would make it inherently dangerous; I'm a bit to careful to do something stupid like that! The only real issue of safety being reduced would be if the roll bar was a full cage that put bear metal close to my unhelmeted head; which I certainly will not be doing. So trust me, I'm doing it to save my head from becoming one with my torso.

I don't really like the fact that the stock roll bar is designed for either: People who are really short (I'm 6 foot even) or people who drive around leaned back gangsta style (I drive with the seat very vertical so that my head is actually on the head rest of all things

If I'm missing something here please let me know, as I quite honestly am VERY concerned about my safety, which is honestly the only reason I'm looking at the roll bar in the first place. I ordered the lowest Bride GIAS seats with their ultra low seat rails to try to improve on this situation (as well as to address the fact that from where I sit I can't see anything above 4.5k on the Tach). I think that if done properly it will be helpful. On the other hand, if I was someone who sat with my head anywhere near the roll bar then it would be very dangerous.

That said, thanks for the hub info!!

Comment

Robert,

It sounds like you have a really nice setup going. Love the Gias, Takatas, and Mugen wheel. Check out the NRG short hub, I think it's just what you're looking for. http://getnrg.com/products/ $99.99 + $10s/h

If you'd like to order and are a new XLevel customer, please respond with the following:

Name
        Phone Numbers (in order of importance)
        Address
        City, ST, Zip
        Email Address
        Car Make, Model, Year, Ext. Color, Int. Color
        Product(s) to be ordered

If you are a repeat XLevel customer, please respond with the following:

Name
        Product(s) to be ordered

I'll reply via email with an invoice and link to pay via paypal where you
        may choose any method you prefer. The invoice will include shipping and tax where applicable.

Thanks!
        J.T. - XLevel, LLC
        (317) 787-2833 - [email protected] - Check out our new site! XLevel.US

What young minds lack in experience, they make up for with curiosity. Because for them there is no right, no wrong, just new ways of solving problems. - Hondamentalism

Comment

I'm back from vacation....

I like the NRG short hub, so that helps me figure that aspect out.

I have seen a few pictures with the Mugen steering wheels with tow small red buttons on the top of the wheel. What part is this, and could I use this to retain my cruise control "Set" button? I'm guessing someone has done this, but my search didn't really help to answer if and how this can be done.

Thanks!

Comment

You must be thinking of the two NOS buttons from Fast and the Furious.

Comment

no no... funny one however! I have found two different pictures of this. I saved the photos, but not the link

I'm hoping someone knows what I'm talking about.

Comment

I know what you're talking about. They can be used as a switch for nearly anything. With the right connections, I don't see why you couldn't use it as a cruise "set" button.
                J.T. - XLevel, LLC

What young minds lack in experience, they make up for with curiosity. Because for them there is no right, no wrong, just new ways of solving problems. - Hondamentalism

Comment

You must be thinking of something like this (not an S2000):

The Sparco buttons are his cruise control switches

Found a link for them

Comment

Matt: yeah, just like that! Except the buttons were on the top of the wheel. Where in the world do I get parts like that to work with the Mugen wheel and the NRG quick release hub? I've been searching online for days. I emailed Ben from Bulletproof, who has been VERY helpful with my project. I bet he either knows what's up or at least can get it figured out.

Comment

I posted the link in my post.

Here it is again

Comment

I also deal in NRG and Sparco products.
                        J.T. - XLevel, LLC

Comment

My bad Matt. I never tried the first link as I thought it only led to the photo! Thanks... I wonder if the Sparco buttons will work with the Mugen wheel? It looks like the bolts will line up. Anyone know for sure?

Comment

Working...
                          X