• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're No.1 !!!

Aug. 20, 2007, 11:56PM
    Texas ranked No. 1 in DWI deaths, study shows
    Cox News Service

WASHINGTON — Texas led the country in the number of drunken driving fatalities last year, statistics released Monday by the U.S. Department of Transportation show.

The state had 1,354 such deaths last year, an increase of 34 from the previous year, putting Texas in a tie with Arizona and Kansas as the states with the largest increase in such fatalities.

Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo plans to fight drunken driving by seeking grants for more police patrols and collaborating with other law agencies.

"It is unacceptable, these drunk-driving deaths," he said. "We have to come together as a community to deal with it, and as a law enforcement community."

According to the Department of Transportation, there were 13,470 deaths involving drivers and motorcycles operators with blood levels of .08 or higher last year, the legal limit for adults in the U.S., a slight drop from 13,582 such fatalities the year before. Twenty-two states saw more such fatalities, while those numbers fell in 28 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico.

Florida saw the largest drop in such deaths, down 147 from its 2005 total of 1,106.

Source: Houston Chronicle
    "Blue Oh-Two" (#424)
    Rick's header, Hondata gasket, Mugen thermostat/fan switch, Mugen radiator cap, Aussie mirror, Lucid's rear speakers, Alpine CDA-7893R & KCE-865B, Muz's saddlebag, Windscreen Light, Modifry's glove box organizer and lots of Zaino!

:nonono: Sad, but true.
    Thanks,
    Joe

.................................................. .................................................. ..........

Comment

So do you think we should take positive action by not drinking alcohol at our GTGs if you plan to drive home. It's a small sacrifice that most are never prepared to take. I did it for a while and would be willing to go back to it again as I think it is the right thing to do.

Comment

That and/or find a DD. I for one don't drink anywhere but at home and am often the DD.

Comment

Originally posted by McManus View Post
          That and/or find a DD. I for one don't drink anywhere but at home and am often the DD.
          DD = Drunk Driver right?

Comment

DD= Designated Driver

I almost put Defensive Driver. :nonono:
            Thanks,
            Joe

.................................................. .................................................. ..........

Comment

I'm sure we could put more here, but the fact remains that the information in the first thread is pretty damn appauling. Something to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by ajay View Post
                DD = Drunk Driver right?
                *crickets chirping*

Comment

Or Dunkin' Donuts ???
                  '00 Civic Si supercharged (stolen)
                  '95 Civic hb turbocharged (sold)
                  '03 Acura CL-S supercharged (sold
                  )
                  '06 S2000 NA (returned)
                  '11 E92 turbo (returned
                  )
                  '14 F10

Become an S2KCA Member, the only NON-PROFIT S2000 Car Club

Comment

I figured someone would post this before the end of the day.

Comment

we have lots of stupid kids in TX

Comment

Unfortuately I would expect the number killed by drunk drivers is way more than the number of drunk drivers killed.

Comment

Also we are a very large state with a large number of people so of course we'll rank right up there in any poll you have.

Comment

Up here in Michigan most clubs, organizations, as well as private businees no longer serve alcohol at any offical function or event. We have some pretty tough punishments for DWI and the Dram Shop Laws in our state allow civil lawsuits to be made against anyone who served or provided alcohol to anyone involved in a fatal crash. The law does not distinguish between the first drink served or the last drink served.

Comment

Well, Texas may be #1, but the University of Texas is now #3.

Maybe Texas as a state will follow next year since UT was #1 last year.

Comment

lets all of us be careful at the lake GTG
                                Coop
                                Life Member 57
                                Friends do things for friends because they matter, thanks Sean, Jeff, David & Curt. Camping time
                                It's Five O' Clock Somewhere
                                Become an S2KCA member, tell them Coop sent you

Comment

Working...
                                X